Wow another CHEATER caught on the Pro Tour this is why i don't play IRL Magic!

34 posts / 0 new
Last post
i just watched a video of some guy named alex fettucini and basically the guy takes some random kid and plays 3 lands in one turn probably ramping into some fatty next turn for 7

an the kid doesn't whats going on so he says yeah its fine but the one dude say no thats not fine and alex bertunicci did even doulbe check he said double explore and he knew he played too many lands

this gy was on the pro tour an got tons of prizes from people that he stole from cheating

this is why no respects your game WOTC u gave prizes to this guy? this pro tour player taking advantage of kids

thats not right

cut the prizes for these cheaters bring the prizes online where they belong where you cant cheat to win like mr alex bertuccini

this happened to me at rise of eldrazi someone tried to play 2 lands on me and cast hes 11 drop ulmalogg or something i was like no dude we are not on that turn and u just tried to cheat me and its hard to see with rise of eldrazi cuz its hard know what turn ur on and basically the guy cheated an i won the game after we backed it up but he woulda won if he had gotten away with it

this is why i dont play IRL Magic cheaters play 2 lands a turn casting an 11 drop a turn early an ppl being too dumb to figure it out 
If this happens to you in paper magic you have 2 choices. Do nothing, or call a judge. Calling a judge ensures fairness for all because the judge isn't going to just agree with you, he will want to see logically laid out proof.

I saw that video tape of Alex and he looked squirrely but I wasn't sure it was "bleary eyed haven't slept in 18 hours" squirrely or "Oh @^$^ someone caught me!" squirrely. Both seemed feesible. Never heard of him before so I assume he's relatively new to the PT if he is a "pro." Either that or Im just out of the loop which is very likely lol.

In any case for every cheater there are 1,000 straight players so I wouldn't be calling WOTC out for this one. It wasn't even done on their time, though as a sanctioned event there should have been a judge called to swing the banhammer. The reason this isn't more of a problem is that judges are trained to deal with cheaters and typically it does not take long for someone to become DQed after being caught.

The advice you should follow when dealing with someone who seems to be playing shady is call a judge over to watch at the very least and to inspect any complaint you might have for validity. Keep in mind this is double edged because many players who play semi pro or lower skill levels tend to break rules without even realizing it. A judge seeing that won't know the difference between intentional and mistake so be sure your own stuff is straight.

Winter.Wolf

Never heard of him before

A quick synopsis.

He won some big tournament that a big card reseller ran, winning $10,000 and a set of power 9. Soon after, an ex-buddy blogged an exposee of his cheating based on a number of publicly available videos. An outcry ensued on a popular magic forum, following which the card reseller issued a statement, viz, the matter is currently under investigation by the DCI.

The big deal is that although suspicions were raised on several occasions, e.g. some pod casters spotted pre-sideboarded cards at a high value tourny, nothing was ever done at the time of any alleged offense. Apparently this player is very personable and has amazing manual dexterity.
For those who haven't read the piece yet, here it is

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead.

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
So when is he eligible for induction into the hall of fame? ;)
Free Speech
Free speech is the right to speak your mind without government censorship and without fear of extralegal retaliation like harassment or violence. That’s all! Free speech doesn’t include the right to speak your mind on any forum anywhere. The government may not prevent you from speaking, but private parties, like blog owners or corporations, aren’t required to let you use their property as your platform. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be believed or to be taken seriously. People may mock, ridicule or laugh at what you say, or they may reject it outright. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be listened to. People who don’t desire to hear your opinion can hang up on you, block you on social media, change the channel, close the browser tab. Free speech doesn’t give you the right to bombard people with harassing messages or otherwise force them to pay attention to you against their will. And free speech doesn’t include the right to suffer no consequences whatsoever for your expressed opinions.
Update: Bertoncini banned 18 months.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
For those who haven't read the piece yet, here it is

Thanks Bubba, That makes things a lot clearer for me. Glad to hear the DCI figured him out.

Winter.Wolf

if you truly believe anyone in the pro tour hall of fame, or even the pro tour hasnt purposely cheated at 1 point or another....you probaly shouldnt be playing paper magic seriously

EDIT: and just in case your wondering cheating apprently does pay....alex gets to keep his 10K in winnings and power 9  
if you truly believe anyone in the pro tour hall of fame, or even the pro tour hasnt purposely cheated at 1 point or another....you probaly shouldnt be playing paper magic seriously

EDIT: and just in case your wondering cheating apprently does pay....alex gets to keep his 10K in winnings and power 9  

NO! He does not get to keep his winnings of the invitational or PotY.

www.starcitygames.com/magic/standard/232...

Does this go along with the saying "If you're not cheating, you're not trying?"
hmm as of decemeber 15th it was stated he would be allowed to keep his prizes, 10K and power 9 included. i guess a day later the dci facing outrage from gamers far and wide finnally decided to send a strong message by stripping him of his power 9, and cash prizes ect ect that cheating doesnt pay....

regardless of how the dci reached this decision i applaud them for sending a very strong msg about cheating and its cosequesnces
hmm as of decemeber 15th it was stated he would be allowed to keep his prizes, 10K and power 9 included. i guess a day later the dci facing outrage from gamers far and wide finnally decided to send a strong message by stripping him of his power 9, and cash prizes ect ect that cheating doesnt pay....

regardless of how the dci reached this decision i applaud them for sending a very strong msg about cheating and its cosequesnces

The DCI was only responsible for the decisions to ban him for 18 months. SCG are the ones who decided to recind his prizes.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
Yeah, confusing the two is... confusing.

And Alex almost certainly gets his money when he takes them to court since they are making and retroactively applying a policy. Its purely a face saving move to the public.
Owner of TheCardNexus chain on mtgo.

And Alex almost certainly gets his money when he takes them to court since they are making and retroactively applying a policy. Its purely a face saving move to the public.

Pretty much, but it's a $10,000 face saving move.

If they've already donated the money they'll have to pay double, since the charity won't give the part they recieved back. 
DCI Certified Level 2 Judge

Pretty much, but it's a $10,000 face saving move.

If they've already donated the money they'll have to pay double, since the charity won't give the part they recieved back. 

10K for the PR of being "the company that hurt the cheater and gave to charity" yeah take it and the write offs ANY DAY.
Owner of TheCardNexus chain on mtgo.
in other words in the end he is still keeping his 10k+ power 9 but atleast wizards can say "hey we tried"

thus bringing me to edit my original statement into the following...."cheating pays if you really work for it"   
in other words in the end he is still keeping his 10k+ power 9 but atleast wizards can say "hey we tried"

The DCI was only responsible for the decisions to ban him for 18 months. SCG are the ones who decided to recind his prizes.

This is not a difficult concept.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
... but atleast wizards can say "hey we tried" ... 

Uhhh... that's the DCI & SCG, not WotC. To use a crude analogy, you're blaming Boeing for something an airline & the FAA did.

I do not wish to participate in this Community Site.

... but atleast wizards can say "hey we tried" ... 

Uhhh... that's the DCI & SCG, not WotC. To use a crude analogy, you're blaming Boeing for something an airline & the FAA did.

Last I looked, the DCI was part of WotC.  The DCI homepage is hosted at wizards.com, anyway.  As far as I can tell, your analogy only works if Boeing owns the FAA...
Mountain bikes are for slow people, and geckos are far better pets than cats & dogs! :D Officially licensed user of the term "GrammarChaos" (Thanks Tempesteye!) MPDC Season 3 Champion
oh yeah because modo has no cheaters at all.  I mean the Masques sealed championship was won by a guy who ran the cheats in the t8.
oh yeah because modo has no cheaters at all.  I mean the Masques sealed championship was won by a guy who ran the cheats in the t8.

I don't suppose you would like to elaborate on that serious claim, or that you actually reported it to WotC.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
In the first round of top 8 he repeatedly used Nakaya Shade's pump ability at end of turn to eat a lot of his opponents clock.  Due to it having the option of the opponent being able to pay 2, he was not able to f6 through it.
In the first round of top 8 he repeatedly used Nakaya Shade's pump ability at end of turn to eat a lot of his opponents clock.  Due to it having the option of the opponent being able to pay 2, he was not able to f6 through it.

Not to open another can of worms, but I don't believe forcing an opponent to use up their time is "cheating", per se. Time management (and forcing your opponent to mis-manage) has always been a strategy in most competitive play with time constraints. If player cannot manage his clock properly, or chooses to play a deck that has umpteen gazillion triggers per turn, that's on him.

I do not wish to participate in this Community Site.

Not to open another can of worms, but I don't believe forcing an opponent to use up their time is "cheating", per se. Time management (and forcing your opponent to mis-manage) has always been a strategy in most competitive play with time constraints. If player cannot manage his clock properly, or chooses to play a deck that has umpteen gazillion triggers per turn, that's on him.

Am I the only one who get provoked when reading this ?
- This is, honestly, a grotesque advantage. Noah Weil on scouting, an attorney from Seattle with 20 Pro Tour appearances.

So, did anyone report him? Textbook stalling.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
yeah he's been reported with screenshots by at least 4 people that i know of.  It was just bad when wotc_troy basically gave him the sets and passed on the enforcement to the link despite being able to easily watch the match and see it.  It was one where he could have easily been stopped before prizes were given out and they decided to not do it and ruin the integrity of the tournament.  Because I know for a fact it was brought up to him during the t4 matches.  And as you said it was textbook stalling.

So, did anyone report him? Textbook stalling.

Wow... I hope this doesn't get shoved under the rug...
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!

Repeatedly activating abilities that have no effect on the board state in order to time out an opponent has always been a reportable offence  on Magic Online.

in my oppinion the guy who lost shouldnt have put himself in a position to lose via timeout....i didnt actually see the replay so i cant prove this but it wouldnt surpirse me if the guy that lost was afk for a good period of the match

while stalling has already been mentioned, i would also include Unsportsmanlike Conduct along with it.

while i've not run across the cheat or exploit already mentioned, i did run into an opponent during an Innistrad draft or sealed event who only escaped my reporting him because he still lost. his stall tactic was to repeatedly and ineffectively activate his Heretic's Punishment with zero cards left in his deck - during both my end-of-turn phase and his upkeep. the game was already going long and was a near stalemate. i spent the last two minutes or so on my clock responding to actions that were needless, imo.
in my oppinion the guy who lost shouldnt have put himself in a position to lose via timeout....i didnt actually see the replay so i cant prove this but it wouldnt surpirse me if the guy that lost was afk for a good period of the match.

Is slow play legal or illegal on mtgo ?
- This is, honestly, a grotesque advantage. Noah Weil on scouting, an attorney from Seattle with 20 Pro Tour appearances.
Is slow play legal or illegal on mtgo ?

Slow play is legal, as it only hurts yourself. Stalling (activating abilities for no reason other than using opponent's clock) is not legal (and yes, falls under unsportsmanlike conduct).

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
I've removed content from this thread because Baiting is a violation of the Code of Conduct.  You can review the Code of Conduct here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_...

Please keep your posts polite, respectful, and on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.

Thanks!
Yikes, so much hate today!

Stalling sucks, I don't support it.