"Roll" is Avacyn Restored

112 posts / 0 new
Last post
www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

The set is a large set containing 244 total cards.

Just saw this on the main page. Bitchen, and she looks like a bamf.
Photobucket
OOH.

Large set huh? Lovely art.

And the set symbol is easily identifiable for once. XD

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
A block with a happy ending? Wow.
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
Well, on the one hand, I'll applaud a happy ending for a change.
On the other... I don't feel a lot of tension over her having been missed in the first place. I love the fact that they aimed at a smaller sense of scale, but it doesn't seem to have affected any change in the world around for her time gone. It's... stagnant. Nothing HAPPENED on the world.

Also, if that's Avacyn in the picture... She's Sephiroth. (Can't unsee)
And Griselbrand got away!!

QFT.

Although that kinda diminishes the effect of Dark Ascension's storyline development, since we more or less know how it's gonna play out....

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13

QFT.

Although that kinda diminishes the effect of Dark Ascension's storyline development, since we more or less know how it's gonna play out....

Well... maybe when she's restored she'll be ax-crazy or something. I dunno, I really just want a paradigm shift, even in a happy ending. If Avacyn just comes back, nothing really changed from before she went missing.
I suppose it depends what the humans do in dark asension. Maybe most of them turn to Grisilband (Not looking up how to spell it) and when she comes back she judges them acordingly. An Angel of Wrath par say.
Is it just me, or does Avacyn look rather dark? Black eyes, for instance?

My money's on this not being such a happy ending. 
My God, she looks awesome!  And a large set!  I'm excited!

But I thought no block gimmicks this time?  I thought it was going to be straightforward for once.
The black dress + black lipstick makes her look more like an angel of Hot Topic than Innistrad.

Her look contrasts heavily with that of Angel of Flight Alabaster and Angelic Overseer.

Perhaps she's the one who....*puts on sunglasses*...ascended into darkness. 
The black dress + black lipstick makes her look more like an angel of Hot Topic than Innistrad.

Her look contrasts heavily with that of Angel of Flight Alabaster and Angelic Overseer.

But it would seem odd then that she still uses her powers of light. And you can tell they are still part of her. Look at her staff.

But it would seem odd then that she still uses her powers of light. And you can tell they are still part of her. Look at her staff.

She may be able to draw power from White Mana, but that doesn't mean she's still "good". 

Just sayin, maybe she's there to smite their peasant ****.

(Actually, we don't even know if that picture is Avacyn, do we?) 

She may be able to draw power from White Mana, but that doesn't mean she's still "good". 

Just sayin, maybe she's there to smite their peasant ****.

(Actually, we don't even know if that picture is Avacyn, do we?) 

It's probally her. But what we don't know is if's it's "her" card, set art, or just the art of a different card. Looks like it could be some form of wrath.
she looks more like a badass fallen angel... yeah, maybe not so happy. >_>
You are Red/Blue!
My God, she looks awesome!  And a large set!  I'm excited!

But I thought no block gimmicks this time?  I thought it was going to be straightforward for once.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the strange structure. Less keen on these 'draft alone' third sets.
Note the tagline; "Ignite the Dawn"

Something about that... it just doesn't exactly fill me with hope, it feels too wrath of gody.

I have a feeling this won't be as happy of an ending as it first appears.
Official Speaker of the Expanded Multiverse Project, Step into Dominia-Embrace the infinite Magic of the Planes. This -> is my favorite smiley, I will use it often and without reason. You have been warned.
The Story of My Love
79035425 wrote:
BURSTING WITH VIGOR!
Trolljuju wiped the sweat from his brow as he continued his slow trudge up the snowy mountain. The wind was strong and fiercely cold, but he pressed against it. Juju knew Beast Engine was somewhere at the peak, waiting for him. But this was not a matter of confronting the forces of nature themselves; that had been accomplished long before, and was now too easy to maintain the manly man's interest. Today, Beast Engine was here waiting for a friend. Trolljuju's mind drifted from his appointment to thoughts of Beast Engine's manliness. The only man in history to punch the fossilized remains of a dinosaur back to life just to punch it to death again. The man who deflected bullets with his pectoral muscles during his daily assassination attempts. The man who cured cancer with a serum made from pure crystalized virility. The man who burst with vigor. Not just a man but a Man- the manliest of all men. A god of masculinity in physical form. Trolljuju's heart fluttered at the memory of him and lightened his steps as he pressed on. Suddenly, he was shaken from his reverie by a deep, powerful rumble in the mountain that shook him to his core. Instinctively, he threw himself to the ground just before the slope ahead of him exploded in a fiery wall of light and heat. So great was the force that the entire upper section of the mountain was vaproized. It scorched Juju's coat, then rose on the air to drift far away, a plume of white-hot ash. When Trolljuju lifted his head to see what was left behind, he beheld a wide, perfectly flat stone plateau, and in the distance he could see a muscular figure, his foot still held up from the kick. There was no doubt it was Beast Engine. As soon as the ground beneath him cooled, Juju cast his heavy pack aside and ran. As the figure grew with closeness, he could see Beast Engine was nude, as was expected. The snow that fell near him turned to a thin wall of steam, looking to Trolljuju's eyes like a barrier. Engine was too strong, too manly to occupy the same space as the ordinary universe. He lived in a world all his own. But fortunately for Juju, it was only an illusion. He ran at full speed into Engine, who caught him with both arms and effortlessly twirled with him, resting with Juju dipped low to the ground in Engine's arms. "Beast Engine, my love," Trolljuju breathed, sturck with awe at Engine's masculine beauty despite the familiarity of his face. Engine just smiled, radiating from every inch of him with incredible strength, yet gentle warmth. "It's been so long, Juju. I've missed you." "Forgive me. I lost contact with you while you were boxing with Death to win back and consume the soul of Theodore Roosevelt. But now I'm here..." Juju lifted one tentative hand to Engine's face, but he pulled away. "You know I cannot give you what you seek. Were we to make love, your body would be destroyed by the force." "I know, of course I would," Juju responded, tears in his eyes. "May I have, at least, one kiss?" "Very well. For you, my friend." Slowly, gingerly, they came closer. But the moment their lips met, a flood of unbridled manliness rushed into Trolljuju, body and soul, and every cell in his body exploded. Beast Engine fell to his knees, and in his grief, he wept. The tears that fell from his face burned deep into the rock beneath him. But slowly, his sorrow turned to conviction. He beat the crap out of Death once. He could do it again.
If the Innistrad set symbol is supposed to be two herons back-to-back, Avacyn's symbol looks a heck of a lot like two flamingos.
*sigh*  Really, block design shenanigains?  I was really hoping that would stay dead for a while after RoE.  I guess the restoration would represent a significant change, like the awakening of the Eldrazi.  I only hope that this time, the secong big set carrys on the mechanics of Innistrad rather than being "its own thing"

True, she doesn't have a bad emo enough haircut to be Ghirahim...

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Hooray, Avacyn is back!

That said... Avacyn, honey? Next time you do the whole "Solar halo" thing, you might want to wear something else under the tabard.

OMG it totally is....0_0 creepy.

I too think that the set won't be as happy as it seems to be at face value.
The only her and that abundant character have incommon is they both look like chicks and have white hair.
Photobucket
Anime** stupid auto correct and mobile website.
Photobucket
*sigh*  Really, block design shenanigains?  I was really hoping that would stay dead for a while after RoE.  I guess the restoration would represent a significant change, like the awakening of the Eldrazi.  I only hope that this time, the secong big set carrys on the mechanics of Innistrad rather than being "its own thing"

Oh God, yes.  I liked Rise of the Eldrazi, but it made me thing two things:

1.) "What happened to the Zendikar mechanics I liked?!"
2.) "What?  You mean we don't get another set with the Rise of the Eldrazi mechanics I liked?!"

I hope that doesn't happen here.  Sounds like it will, sadly...
Actually didn't MaRo's state of design article call the huge mechanical disconnect between RoE and the rest of the block a mistake?

If so I think that while this will feature new mechanics (like every set) it won't actually be a complete departure from the rest of Innistrad 
Official Speaker of the Expanded Multiverse Project, Step into Dominia-Embrace the infinite Magic of the Planes. This -> is my favorite smiley, I will use it often and without reason. You have been warned.
The Story of My Love
79035425 wrote:
BURSTING WITH VIGOR!
Trolljuju wiped the sweat from his brow as he continued his slow trudge up the snowy mountain. The wind was strong and fiercely cold, but he pressed against it. Juju knew Beast Engine was somewhere at the peak, waiting for him. But this was not a matter of confronting the forces of nature themselves; that had been accomplished long before, and was now too easy to maintain the manly man's interest. Today, Beast Engine was here waiting for a friend. Trolljuju's mind drifted from his appointment to thoughts of Beast Engine's manliness. The only man in history to punch the fossilized remains of a dinosaur back to life just to punch it to death again. The man who deflected bullets with his pectoral muscles during his daily assassination attempts. The man who cured cancer with a serum made from pure crystalized virility. The man who burst with vigor. Not just a man but a Man- the manliest of all men. A god of masculinity in physical form. Trolljuju's heart fluttered at the memory of him and lightened his steps as he pressed on. Suddenly, he was shaken from his reverie by a deep, powerful rumble in the mountain that shook him to his core. Instinctively, he threw himself to the ground just before the slope ahead of him exploded in a fiery wall of light and heat. So great was the force that the entire upper section of the mountain was vaproized. It scorched Juju's coat, then rose on the air to drift far away, a plume of white-hot ash. When Trolljuju lifted his head to see what was left behind, he beheld a wide, perfectly flat stone plateau, and in the distance he could see a muscular figure, his foot still held up from the kick. There was no doubt it was Beast Engine. As soon as the ground beneath him cooled, Juju cast his heavy pack aside and ran. As the figure grew with closeness, he could see Beast Engine was nude, as was expected. The snow that fell near him turned to a thin wall of steam, looking to Trolljuju's eyes like a barrier. Engine was too strong, too manly to occupy the same space as the ordinary universe. He lived in a world all his own. But fortunately for Juju, it was only an illusion. He ran at full speed into Engine, who caught him with both arms and effortlessly twirled with him, resting with Juju dipped low to the ground in Engine's arms. "Beast Engine, my love," Trolljuju breathed, sturck with awe at Engine's masculine beauty despite the familiarity of his face. Engine just smiled, radiating from every inch of him with incredible strength, yet gentle warmth. "It's been so long, Juju. I've missed you." "Forgive me. I lost contact with you while you were boxing with Death to win back and consume the soul of Theodore Roosevelt. But now I'm here..." Juju lifted one tentative hand to Engine's face, but he pulled away. "You know I cannot give you what you seek. Were we to make love, your body would be destroyed by the force." "I know, of course I would," Juju responded, tears in his eyes. "May I have, at least, one kiss?" "Very well. For you, my friend." Slowly, gingerly, they came closer. But the moment their lips met, a flood of unbridled manliness rushed into Trolljuju, body and soul, and every cell in his body exploded. Beast Engine fell to his knees, and in his grief, he wept. The tears that fell from his face burned deep into the rock beneath him. But slowly, his sorrow turned to conviction. He beat the crap out of Death once. He could do it again.

badass++

her spear's symbol is a tad more... demonic looking than the set symbol. i'm not so convinced she's coming back as a good character.
Legendary Vampire Angel anyone?

Oh and here is the art for the Griselndrand (sorry for the spelling).

I'm expecting a sword fight with Sorin. 

Another large set? Which means more stress on our wallets, and both Dark Ascension and Avacyn Restored will be under drafted instead of just the third set. This means that any good cards in Dark Ascension will be worth a lot more. If Sorin.2 is any good, we can expect it to hit the £60.

Magic is expensive enough to play, without them doing stunts like this. They are really pushing the competitive players hard here, since it's expensive enough getting accomodation and flights to GP's, but when they make bigger sets for us to drop more money on and shorten the shelf life of other sets making their prices spiral upwards it's pretty hard to keep up. Sounds like they really do just want rich people playing magic.
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/
I feel for you Cyrus, I wish they would push our wallets less.  As a married man with a home and family i find it hard to keep up with the game a lot.   I End up having to skip buying cards from whole sets at least once a year, and then dont catc up untill they rotate out of standard.   

That said, they probibly have math on their side.  To make the most money, they push sales as far as they can.   Balancing people who can devote every spare dime to the game, and guys like myself.   The casual summer releases and box sets they make have been great for a guy like myself, I only buy boosters now If Im gonna hold a draft on our friends magic nights.  For the most part, I just buy singles.  For the most part, I cant afford play standard, but I can play in the smaller legacy tourneys in the area.   Trying my hand at some Modern rouge decks soon.

I do like the art work spoilers though.  My wife is already excited about another new angel that might be coming for her angel collection, and possibly her nasty artifact mana accellerated, armeggedon fueled angel deck.

I do love limeted though, and a draft alone 3rd set in the block will probibly be a well ballanced enviornment.   Some poeple complained about the battle cruser magic of RoE, but the enviornment was well balanced, and very fun.
:For autocarding, write [ c ] card name [ / c ] You can also do [*c=lightning bolt]'Bolt[/c*] to get 'Bolt sigged because I always forget to do it
Cyrus I totally agree.  If it wasn't for the huge discount on boosters at a local store, buying cards wouldn't be an option for me and I would have to stick to trading or buying singles to put my decks together.  Wife, mortgage, two kids.  I actually had a larger budget for Magic in college when I was single.

However, in the end, WotC is a business and they have every right to take steps towards increasing their revenue.  There's a possibility that Hasbro is to blame for pushing Wizards to increase margins too, which is something many people may not consider.

I love the art, and before everyone jumps to conclusions about the apparent "dark emo" look, remember that the theme of the block is "horror" and perhaps they are trying to continue the flavor of the block with the art.

It could be that, or it could be that Acacyn somehow 'sacrificed' herself to save Innistrad or something, but was corrupted herself.

I do feel that Black and White dual-colored cards belong in this set somewhere but who knows.
56735468 wrote:
Residual energetic and psychic emenations from the spark of planewalkers going in and out of the blind eternities like it was a windmill eventually coalesced into beings named eldrazi who by their very nature could not consume mundane sources of nourishment to sustain their existence.
Yawn.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Also, we've seen that symbol already in this set.  Just thought I would mention.
56735468 wrote:
Residual energetic and psychic emenations from the spark of planewalkers going in and out of the blind eternities like it was a windmill eventually coalesced into beings named eldrazi who by their very nature could not consume mundane sources of nourishment to sustain their existence.
We've seen that symbol everywhere; it's the Symbol of Avacyn: www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

Also, no matter what card that artwork belongs to, I will always have my iPod on hand to play "One-Winged Angel" when that spell resolves.  Too bad she has two...

Rules Advisor

So her return can go one of two ways  - She's here to beat back the darkness/monsters and save humanity OR she's going all Revalations on Humanity and slaughter everyone (most people) who fell during dark ascension.

EDIT: Or it could go a third way - Avacyn is corrupted and she goes on a rampage.
Also, no matter what card that artwork belongs to, I will always have my iPod on hand to play "One-Winged Angel" when that spell resolves.  Too bad she has two...

Prepare to play with your fatpack case.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

I'm hoping that its a corrupted Avacyn. I dont want an happy ending to the plane. I like downer endings.
I'm hoping that its a corrupted Avacyn. I dont want an happy ending to the plane. I like downer endings.

They've done quite some downer endings lately. Nothing against it, but you have to have some happy endings every now and again.

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

Been called before I'm sure, but I'm calling it now. Avaycn is a double faced card. One side good, one side bad. Be cool if you could choose which one you slap down to play.
Been called before I'm sure, but I'm calling it now. Avaycn is a double faced card. One side good, one side bad. Be cool if you could choose which one you slap down to play.

Agree on her being a Transformer.

I see it as New Testiment Avacyn (nice and white) and Old Testiment Avacyn (back in black).

I'm going to be upset if Avacyn is not good.  Draconic and violent, but well-meaning?  Fine.  Fully benevolent?  Good.  But "Oh look this thing we worshipped is actually evil!" is kinda already done.  I'm sure they're better than doing that a second time.
Sign In to post comments