If you could change just one thing.

59 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pretend for a moment that you think 4e is the perfect role playing system for you. Maybe not the best ever, but it does everything you want out of a roleplaying system. Now pretend that there is just one thing about 4e you would liked changed, and only one thing. What would that be?

For me it would be returning iconic spells to their previous status. Spells like fireball have become uselss and some spells, like polymorph, simply no longer exist. I do like the ritual system alot to make up for some of the iconic spells that just aren't combat relative (like knock or tongues) but I wish they would have kept the names of some of the old iconic D&D spells for some of the rituals which have essentially those effects. I have never seen a fireball or a lightning bolt cast in 4e and I've never seen a druid really change the weather in some cool large encompassing way. Sorcerers I think are my biggest dissapointment in this regard as they used to be, effectively, wizards in 3rd, so they kept none of their original iconic spells. I also would have liked if they kept more (wizards name) spell. They still have the bigby's hands spells but like Evard's Black Tendrils just became Black Tendrils and Melf's Acid Arrow just became acid arrow. Those names were as big a part to the iconic spells of D&D to me as what the spells actually did. I really do like 4e but it's hard to find iconic powers amongst the literally thousands that exist, there are some here and there but most of them are at-wills or belongs to classes that previously didn't exist or that didn't get special powers. I really like the power system it would have just been nice if they had given more thought to making it really feel like it had always been a part of D&D.
Probably get rid of dailies. I'm not quite sure what sort of fix would work exactly, but it sucks when you accidentally waste them, it sucks when you miss (miss effects help mitigate that but it still sucks to spend a daily power to get an at-will effect), it sucks when you never use them because you want to avoid the first two, etc. Though personally I've fixed the problem by selecting like nothing but reactive dailies (third wind, battle aspect, etc.), making them more of a box of "Oh [Debutantes avert your eyes]" buttons. Which actually might be the way to go about it.

Alternatively smacking the person who suggested item rarity, but everyone's  kinda ignored that anyway, so all's well that ends well. 

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
Probably get rid of dailies.

I agree.  I would definitely have preferred an encounter-based paradigm with no daily-frequency effects.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
I'd kind of agree, but I love dailies that effect you for the whole encounter. Stances and things like Barbarian rages and zones, summons, and walls should be the standard for dailies. The one-and-done dailies aren't very exiting, and save ends effects feel way to swingy to really rely on at all.
I'd prefer dailies to have a recharge effect, or to be endlessly-usable, but only one daily could be used per encounter, than to be removed.
Fire Blog Control, Change, and Chaos: The Elemental Power Source Elemental Heroes Example Classes Xaosmith Exulter Chaos Bringer Director Elemental Heroes: Looking Back - Class and Story Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Xaosmith (January 16, 2012) Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Harbinger (May 16, 2012) Check out my Elemental Heroes blog series and help me develop four unique elemental classes.

Alternatively smacking the person who suggested item rarity, but everyone's  kinda ignored that anyway, so all's well that ends well. 

In the words of a wise man, "Rarity is a solution looking for a problem."

Myself, I'd be happy if the math were fixed. Get rid of feat taxes, fix the few builds that don't scale properly, tweak inherent bonuses and make it default, and replace masterwork armor with something else while we're at it.
I'd prefer dailies to have a recharge effect, or to be endlessly-usable, but only one daily could be used per encounter, than to be removed.

Recharge effects for dailies, yes please. I'm right there with ya!  

Danny

The current design team, or at least get them to look forwards rather than being stuck in the past with rose coloured glasses.
Math fix: Unify all bonuses into categories - Inherent ('class'), Racial, Power, Feat, and Luck (temporary bonuses that fade, like Shield).  Reduce the debuffs on mobs that the party can inflict, and kill all math feats.  

The result would have easier bookkeeping, more interesting choices, and less 'powergame buff stacking' potential.
Less option proliferation. Encounter based design like in Gamma World would be awesome, with Daily effects being strictly on magic items and utilities. This would speed combat up something fierce, I'm sure.
Ranged training (like melee training).
Power Strike to work with ranged attack.

Prevent characters from making more than one damage roll per round per target (outside of action points) - have all multiattacks, minor action attacks, immediate action attacks to deal fixed damage or to somehow roll damage without adding any modifiers. Integrating vulnerabilities into this (i.e. 1 vulnerability trigger/round) would also be nice.

Once damage scales at the same, predictable rate for all characters, add whatever static bonuses are needed to adjust the (monster HP/ PC damage) ratio to the desired values for strikers and non-strikers.

My blog about 4e rules and news: Square Fireballs The Magic Item Reset: A standalone set of items for 4E
Most definitely dealing with the feat tax/masterwork armor/math scaling issue, probably by adjusting magic gear to get up to +8 enhancement, with heavy armor gaining half the enhancement value onto base armor, and removing all masterwork armor and the scaling on all expertise and defense feats.
DTAS.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

i have seen a group that used an optional rule that during a short rest you can spend a action point to re gain use of a dailie power.
i think somthing like that would be nicer for players then the randomness of recharge. 
probably take skill challenges out behind the woodshed and put them out of their misery

ps dailies rule

Prevent characters from making more than one damage roll per round per target (outside of action points) - have all multiattacks, minor action attacks, immediate action attacks to deal fixed damage or to somehow roll damage without adding any modifiers. Integrating vulnerabilities into this (i.e. 1 vulnerability trigger/round) would also be nice.

+1. I have a somewhat clunky house rule to deal with this stuff, because there's no simple and effective way to fix it without rewriting a lot of powers. So I think this is a worthy endeavor of the designers.
I would change two things:

Give every single bonus a typed bonus.  You could even add a new type or two, but no more endless stacking.

No expertise or improved defense feats and add in masterwork neck items and weapons.

And leave dailies in, although I might make more of them have encounter long impacts.  They are some of the best parts of the game, particularly with classes like clerics, wardens, and barbarians who have encounter long effects with them.  They really change the feel of one encounter to the next and encourage longer work days for PCs who can have 4 (possibly 5 or 6 depending on build) different attack ones to go through by epic.
In order to simplify action economy, I'd get rid of most out of turn actions.  This is one of the issues with why combat rounds take so long- the issue of when something triggers and how to resolve the reaction/interrupt.  
I do like some out of turn actions though, but they'd be encounter powers. 
I like Daily powers to an extent.  They're great for casters, but feel odd to me on melee type classes, EXCEPT when it's an encounter-long effect, like a stance or a a Barbarian's Rage. 

A Daily should be one big, awesome spell or effect. 

I'd also severely limit the number of feats available.  There's just so many of them out there and so many which are just meh.  Feats to just boost damage feel munchkin-y to me, yet I often take them as a player because the other choices don't fit the flavor.

However, I love Themes, and I really enjoy the Theme Utilities and Racial Utilities.   I've considered houseruling in that my players can add a racial or theme utility for free at level 2, 6 and 10. 2 Utility powers at those levels, but can't take 2 skill utility powers or 2 class utility powers at the same level.  Gives the players more versatility without being too gamebreaking.

I'd like to see a basic list of powers for classes to choose from, but have keywords affect the power's riders.  There are several powers that are like Footwork Lure: Make an Weapon attack STR vs AC, does 1W+STR damge and push enemy one square. You shift into the square the enemy left.  The same goes for some Leader powers:  CHA vs AC, 1W +CHA dmg, a nearby Ally gains CHA mod temp HP- which is nearly the same as an Ardent at-will.
Why do we need multiple versions of the same power?  What if your theme or feats added on to the basic attack-  Martial could choose to slow, or to push and shift, or with a theme and feat additive riders, to prone.  Another power source could do the same, or open the mob up to some vulnerability, or de-buff the mob. 
This may be much tougher to balance across classes though, I haven't fleshed it out enough to be certain.

So, that's way more than one thing to change.  If I could only choose one-  Simplify Action economy by eliminating many out of turn actions.
I'd differentiate the classes/power sources a bit more by removing the consistency in structure.

Wizards and other arcane classes would get 1 at-will, many daily powers, and no encounter powers.

Fighters and other martial classes would get 4 or 5 at-wills (or very flexible at-wills), and few daily or encounter powers.   

Divine PCs would have more encounter powers and less at-will and daily powers.

Psionic PCs would use old school power point systems, not fake power point systems that are basically the same as every other class.

You can still balance the game while making these changes.

I also support the idea of bringing back all of the classic spells that we knew from prior editions and giving them some of their old oomph.         
D&D & Boardgames If I have everything I need to run great games for many years without repeating stuff, why do I need to buy anything right now?
I'd differentiate the classes/power sources a bit more by removing the consistency in structure.

Dear Ceiling Cat, no.  Unifying the class structure was one of the best things 4e did.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

Dear Ceiling Cat, no.  Unifying the class structure was one of the best things 4e did.

I disagree.
I would fix and normalize the math, both in attack progression and in skill progression.
Off turn attacks have got to go. They are slowing the game down and confusing the players (wait a sec, who's turn is it anyways?). Try playing epic tier where every character has a number of off turn attacks and combine that with a warlord and a few off turn attack granting items. Play slows down to an absolute crawl. A monster makes one attack roll and gets three attacks back in return. This would also go a long way towards solving the problem of challenging players at high level. I've seen epic level parties that a lot more damage on off turn attacks than during their own turns.

I'm okay with immediate interrupts and reactions as long as they don't require rolling dice.
My one change would be to dailies, in the following way; dalies would have one of the following:

1. A consistent effect that lasts an entire encounter.  Some sustain effects might be added to accomplish this, if the effect would be too powerful without eating into the action economy.

2. An annoying "either or" for saves.  For an example, a cleric's Avenging Flame, which the target may only make a save against ongoing damage if it doesn't attack on its turn.  Basically reinforcing the more deadly nature of save effects attached to dailies.

3. A recharge of the daily.  Not attached to all dailies, and possibly only attached to certain classes, I'm not sure.

Also, the ability to burn two action points at any time to renew a daily.
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]
Off turn attacks have got to go. They are slowing the game down and confusing the players (wait a sec, who's turn is it anyways?). Try playing epic tier where every character has a number of off turn attacks and combine that with a warlord and a few off turn attack granting items. Play slows down to an absolute crawl. A monster makes one attack roll and gets three attacks back in return. This would also go a long way towards solving the problem of challenging players at high level. I've seen epic level parties that a lot more damage on off turn attacks than during their own turns.

I'm okay with immediate interrupts and reactions as long as they don't require rolling dice.

thats why i pause for immediate actions and if you miss them, we dont go back
I like the idea of changing dailies.  Maybe call them 'major powers' or something similar.  Start with one available and activate/refresh an extra every milestone (as opposed to buying them with action points, which would likely stop players from using their APs for anything else).

I think that most people like the 'game-changer' facet of dailies, but find it difficult to decide when to use them and often end up taking an extended rest just to get them back.

I think a big part of this is the imbalance of multiattack vs all most (all?) other sources of damage. In particular it's the fact that an encounter power that adds an attack with a damage roll does so much more extra damage than any other encounter power (generally the same issue on dailies as well) that it's the obvious way to powergame.

I guess maybe that's what I'd change.. make a number of damage bonuses move to 1/rd and a bunch of others move to 1/[W] (or damage die for non-weapon powers). For example Weapon/Implement Focus would be +1/die (no other scaling). So when the Ranger busts out his seven 1[W] attacks and the Barbarian busts out his 7[W] attack they're in the same ballpark. Also, late game going from +5 to +6 weapon makes a notable difference on damage, and going from 1[W] to 2[W] at-wills makes a notable difference, etc. 
As a note, even worse than encounters that add an extra attack, are at-wills that add extra attacks - or ways to generate extra at-will attacks (almost always melee basic attacks.)  The classic example is hellish rebuke. It's just far more powerful than any other warlock at will, except of course Eldritch Strike, because it's a melee basic attack.

I disagree.

I disagree.

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.

Pretend for a moment that you think 4e is the perfect role playing system for you. Maybe not the best ever, but it does everything you want out of a roleplaying system. Now pretend that there is just one thing about 4e you would liked changed, and only one thing. What would that be?

Tough call. It would either be the half-level bonus (I still don't get why having skills and DCs, and attacks and defenses all scale is better than scaling none of them and saving a lot of work) or dailies (I really don't like that every character is a Vancian caster now; part of why I'm so fond of a lot of the Essentials classes). Probably the former.

For me it would be returning iconic spells to their previous status. Spells like fireball have become uselss and some spells, like polymorph, simply no longer exist. I do like the ritual system alot to make up for some of the iconic spells that just aren't combat relative (like knock or tongues) but I wish they would have kept the names of some of the old iconic D&D spells for some of the rituals which have essentially those effects. I have never seen a fireball or a lightning bolt cast in 4e and I've never seen a druid really change the weather in some cool large encompassing way. Sorcerers I think are my biggest dissapointment in this regard as they used to be, effectively, wizards in 3rd, so they kept none of their original iconic spells. I also would have liked if they kept more (wizards name) spell. They still have the bigby's hands spells but like Evard's Black Tendrils just became Black Tendrils and Melf's Acid Arrow just became acid arrow. Those names were as big a part to the iconic spells of D&D to me as what the spells actually did. I really do like 4e but it's hard to find iconic powers amongst the literally thousands that exist, there are some here and there but most of them are at-wills or belongs to classes that previously didn't exist or that didn't get special powers. I really like the power system it would have just been nice if they had given more thought to making it really feel like it had always been a part of D&D.

I can't comment on this part because, like several people I know in real life and at least a dozen I've met online, I can't read it because my eyes get lost on walls of text – especially on screens. As much as I love Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, some of his nearly page-long paragraphs give me eye strain when I read my well-loved deadtree copy. I couldn't read it all off my laptop screen.

If anyone has ever wondered, that's why I tend to use more paragraph breaks than are strictly necessary: I might end up having difficulty reading my own posts if I didn't.

About.me

Drive like you love your children

Through faith you have been saved by grace and not by works. -Ep 2:8-9

Grammar Made Easy – now there's no excuse for sounding like an idiot online.
Games From the Mind of fewilcox – my blog about writing; games, including, character sheets and other roleplaying accessories; and game design.

I disagree.

Even though that's what almost every RPG does post-2000, and rarely are characters judged to be the same?

I disagree.

Even though that's what almost every RPG does post-2000, and rarely are characters judged to be the same?

We are talking about D&D4. Are you assuming that I like it for other RPGs and I don not like it for D&D4?

Anyway, it could be good for a system and it could be bad for another system.

I do not know if you play videogames, but a good example is Warcraft (1 or 2), where humans and orcs were the same, so they were perfectly balanced. And Starcraft where humans, protoss and zergs are different, but almost perfectly balanced. In D&D4 each class has their own characteristics and power differences (strike, control, etc.), but in my opinion these differences are not enough, at least compared with past editions of D&D.

I disagree.

We are talking about D&D4. Are you assuming that I like it for other RPGs and I don not like it for D&D4?

I do not know if you play videogames, but a good example is Warcraft (1 or 2), where humans and orcs were the same, so they were perfectly balanced. And Starcraft where humans, protoss and zergs are different, but almost perfectly balanced. In D&D4 each class has their own characteristics and power differences (strike, control, etc.), but in my opinion these differences are not enough, at least compared with past editions of D&D.

And I can't see why, to be honest. Casters FEEL like casters. I mean, when I play my wizard, I'm in the back casting at ranging, throwing down blasts or using abilities that daze/stun enemies. If I'm my Warlord, I'm up front, either giving attacks or focusing on a single enemy. They are completely different characters based on the same system.

Considering the only difference in mechanics for Casters to Martial was resource management, I don't see the problem with removing that if it makes for better, longer game play. Then again, I question the need for resource management any more, but that's just me.

I disagree.

And I can't see why, to be honest. Casters FEEL like casters. I mean, when I play my wizard, I'm in the back casting at ranging, throwing down blasts or using abilities that daze/stun enemies. If I'm my Warlord, I'm up front, either giving attacks or focusing on a single enemy. They are completely different characters based on the same system.

Considering the only difference in mechanics for Casters to Martial was resource management, I don't see the problem with removing that if it makes for better, longer game play. Then again, I question the need for resource management any more, but that's just me.

Am I talking about casters? Why are you assuming things I do not say? For me casters do not feel like previous editions casters. Bards do not feel like previous editions bards. Paladins do not feel like previous editions paladins. Thiefs do not feel like previous editions bards. Fighters do not feel like previous edition fighters. For me, maybe clerics feel a bit like previous editions clerics.

For D&D4 I do not like that feeling, so I agree with Ceiling Cat.

I disagree.

Am I talking about casters? Why are you assuming things I do not say? For me casters do not feel like previous editions casters. Bards do not feel like previous editions bards. Paladins do not feel like previous editions paladins. Thiefs do not feel like previous editions bards. Fighters do not feel like previous edition fighters. For me, maybe clerics feel a bit like previous editions clerics.

For D&D4 I do not like that feeling, so I agree with Ceiling Cat.

I was just mentions ways that the classes feel different, as that seemed to be why you didn't want symetrical classes. If you hold previous edition "feel" in such why regard, why choose newer editions that may never give that again?

I was just mentions ways that the classes feel different, as that seemed to be why you didn't want symetrical classes. If you hold previous edition "feel" in such why regard, why choose newer editions that may never give that again?

A newer edition could have things that are better and could have things that are worse. If the improvements exceed the worsenings, why not to choose a new edition?

A newer edition could have things that are better and could have things that are worse. If the improvements exceed the worsenings, why not to choose a new edition?

Investment. Are the improvements so much better then the worsenings that it's worth buying the new books?

If it is, you are entirely correct that there's no real reason not to choose a new edition. I think it's mostly those three factors: how much did it get better, how much did it get worse, and how much is the investment going to be (it'll involve learning new rules, buying new books, and losing old rulesbooks)

Of course, for each of the three groups, the value differ from group to group, and even within a group, so it'll be a personal choice for every group. That's what makes it so annoying Smile
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
All Warlock powers should have been usable by CHA or CON like so many Ranger exploits apply to STR or DEX. The reason Warlock powers should apply to all is for it's magic basis and the lack of feat support vs.ranger. Ranger builds are restricted to some degree,but martial applications require certain weapon types. Ranger skill array is better and apply to common ranger high ability scores. I could go on...but the simplest fix is to allow Warlocks to use their highest score.
God I wish we could lose the 'previous edition feel' arguement.

A wizard is an intelligent spellcaster, the master of magic, casting spells to confound and destroy his foes.  D&D 4E wizards feel like that.

Do they feel like 3E wizards?  Does it matter?  This is a role-playing game.  Playing a wizard feels like playing a wizard.  Using magic to dominate combat.  

Hell, one of my biggest complaints about AD&D and 3E was how very little low level wizards felt like magic users.  They cast maybe one spell and then sat there and shot things with a crossbow/sling.  Could you visualize a mage, a master of the arcane arts... chucking sling bullets at people?

Wizards don't feel like they did in past editions because 4E wizards use magic.  They don't have the following curve:

Levels 1-4: Dunderheads with slings who occasionally do something cool
Levels 5-6: OMG Fireball, they're reasonably balanced
Levels 7+: Why are you playing a fighter you poor fool 

Investment. Are the improvements so much better then the worsenings that it's worth buying the new books?

If it is, you are entirely correct that there's no real reason not to choose a new edition. I think it's mostly those three factors: how much did it get better, how much did it get worse, and how much is the investment going to be (it'll involve learning new rules, buying new books, and losing old rulesbooks)

Of course, for each of the three groups, the value differ from group to group, and even within a group, so it'll be a personal choice for every group. That's what makes it so annoying

I agree with you.