Skirsdag High Priest and Necrotic Ooze

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, I am having trouble with these two card's interaction with eachother. If I have a Necrotic Ooze on the battlefield and a Skirsdag High Priest in my graveyard, can I use the Ooze for the Priest's ability(assuming a creature died that turn, of course)? It seems to me like the Priest's ability is both triggered and activated but I'm not sure. Also, I have many more questions about the Necrotic Ooze so if anyone can point me in the direction of his interaction with other cards, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
If I have a Necrotic Ooze on the battlefield and a Skirsdag High Priest in my graveyard, can I use the Ooze for the Priest's ability(assuming a creature died that turn, of course)? It seems to me like the Priest's ability is both triggered and activated but I'm not sure.

Skirsdag High Priest has an activated ability, which you can tell because it's written in the form "[cost]: [effect]. [Activation restriction (if any)]" (the colon is a sure-fire way to spot an activated ability). Necrotic Ooze will copy the ability.

Triggered abilities begin with "when", "whenever", or "at", and skirsdag high priest's ability does not fit this pattern.
 Also, I have many more questions about the Necrotic Ooze so if anyone can point me in the direction of his interaction with other cards, it would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Well, the gatherer page for necrotic ooze (follow the link i've created) mentions a few general things, but if you have more specific questions, feel free to ask them here.
Awesome. Thanks. It just seemed like a creature dying "triggered" the option to activate. The other question I had was about it's interaction with Mirror-Mad Phantasm. The Phantasm references itself twice in it's text box and, according to Necrotic Ooze's Gatherer page, it seems appears that ALL instances of of the words "Mirror-Mad Phantasm" will be replaced with "Necrotic Ooze". However, a Rules Advisor at my local shop told me that only the first instance will change. Essentially, what I am wondering is if Mirror-Mad Phantasm is in my graveyard and I activate it's ability with my Necrotic Ooze, will I be looking to reveal a Mirror Mad Phantasm or a Necrotic Ooze?
You will be looking to reveal a Mirror Mad Phantasm.

The key is that it does not reference itself, it instead says "a card named Mirror Mad."