Races you just don't like

91 posts / 0 new
Last post
Do any of you just have encouragable D&D racial prejudices? I know I do. Almost everyone I've met has at least one race that when you mention it they look like you just ripped a giant fart. For me It's Drow above everything else. The Drizzt fanboy-ish has just made me hate the race as a whole because like 80% of the people who play a drow play a drizzt clone, and the other 20% are more often than not just jerks looking for an excuse to be a jerk in game. I really prefered when they were just an NPC evil race much more, they make compelling villains but as heroes they tend to just become cliches.

I also don't care of Githzerai. This is less hatred and more like I just don't acknowledge their existence because their racial background and general personality is super boring. The quiet asctetic for an entire race just seems sooooo bland. It'd be like if you made the Neutrals from Futurama a race. Snooze city. I really like their background up til the splitting of the gith race; an ex-slave race seeking revenge from their former evil brain-eating monsterous masters is cool and can make for a compelling story. And while I understand some githzerai still hunt mindflayers the race as a whole just seems super bland and out of place for any game not taking place in the underdark or somewhere else mindflayers might be found.

I used to hate elves because generally in fantasy they're just depicted as humans+ but 4e seems to have kind of done away with that and generally made the elven races more flawed than "they're dying out."
Races I don't like (Using the compendium as resource):
Dwarf, Elf, Human, Half-Elf, Satyr, Shade, Tiefling, Drow, Pixie, Vryloka, Hobgoblin, Bullywug, Kobold, Revenant, Githyanki, Mul, Wilden, Goblin, Halfling, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Bladeling, Githzerai, Deva, Gnome, Dragonborn, Orc, Goliath, Bugbear, Half-Orc, Genasi, Hamadryad.

These are the races I have no intention of ever playing.  However, I don't take out my dislikes on the other players, whether playing or DMing.  It doesn't matter if I find it interesting or not; so long as they're enjoying their character, that's what matters.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Gnomes, every gnome we've ever met in game has betrayed us and been evil. We don't even ask them anything anymore, they're shoot on sight.

Also, I played a Drow that was neat, and not Drizzt-clone at all. He used a bastard sword and his psychic warrior powers, and him and his compatriots failed a holy mission for Lolth. Fearing retribution, they stole an artifact that granted a wish, and used it to leave the continent as a whole, and wind up in the center of the one to the north. We then set about removing our race, because as long as we were Drow, Lolth would possess our souls. I became a robot. Good times.

Do you mean "incorrigible" instead of "encouragable"?


-----


I have two races that I dislike for completely arbitrary reasons: dragonborn bug me because they don't have even vestigial wings thus rendering them lizardpeople instead of dragonpeople, and tiefling are annoying because their tales aren't prehensile.


Tieflings then became completely unplayable for me because of a player in our first campaign. He played his tiefling wizard like a fighter/thief. He was constantly trying to serve as party scout even though the ranger and rogue were both better equipped. And he always ran into melee at the first opportunity even the party had four actual melee characters so he would prevent us from being able to do our jobs. Naturally, such tactics meant he ended up nearly dead several times a day so my swordmage and the party's two healers all decided to leave him to his own devices instead of wasting half of the party's healing resources on him every fight. We have pictures of the fight where he rushed a troll and got knocked out and used as a weapon – "The troll has a magic club!" 8o)


To make matters worse, he never considered the party when firing off his AoE spells. He cast Sleep in one battle and missed every enemy but knocked out our warlord. Only a lucky saving throw kept me in the fight. That added to the fact that their otherwise awesome tails just hang there doing nothing means I just can't bring myself to play a tiefling.

About.me

Drive like you love your children

Through faith you have been saved by grace and not by works. -Ep 2:8-9

Grammar Made Easy – now there's no excuse for sounding like an idiot online.
Games From the Mind of fewilcox – my blog about writing; games, including, character sheets and other roleplaying accessories; and game design.

races i like:
elf, dwarf, half orc, halfling, warforged, pixie, gnome

races i tolerate:
humans (boring), deva (boring), eladrin (stuffy)

races i can't stand:
literally everything else
I also don't care of Githzerai. This is less hatred and more like I just don't acknowledge their existence because their racial background and general personality is super boring. The quiet ascetic for an entire race just seems sooooo bland.

Sooooo breakable.

Show

Every race, every profession, every school has its failures.


The entire population of the monastery stood with their backs turned as the human villagers, hired for this task alone, took the seven-times-disgraced Zeryaltiss from her cell and escorted her to the road that led out of the Icetop Mountains. They could, however, hear the stagger in her steps, and wondered how she had managed to still be intoxicated after thirteen days of captivity, trial, and deliberation.


She was no longer their concern. The gates closed behind her for the last time. She would die soon, or be slain, and cease to stain the name of the Githzerai.


Most likely the child she didn't yet realize she carried would die with her; if she did survive long enough to give birth, she would send it to a monastery or settlement for proper care and upbringing.


Surely even Zeryaltiss would have that much honor.


...the backstory does not mention Zeryaltiss again...



"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
Elves, Humans, and Dwarves.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mG2I-o3yUA

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
Races I don't like (Using the compendium as resource):
Dwarf, Elf, Human, Half-Elf, Satyr, Shade, Tiefling, Drow, Pixie, Vryloka, Hobgoblin, Bullywug, Kobold, Revenant, Githyanki, Mul, Wilden, Goblin, Halfling, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Bladeling, Githzerai, Deva, Gnome, Dragonborn, Orc, Goliath, Bugbear, Half-Orc, Genasi, Hamadryad.

These are the races I have no intention of ever playing.  However, I don't take out my dislikes on the other players, whether playing or DMing.  It doesn't matter if I find it interesting or not; so long as they're enjoying their character, that's what matters.



May I ask what races do you like then? I think only Eladrin, Changeling, Minotaur, Shifter and Warforged escaped your wrath.

I ask because personally, I like almost all races. Some more than others but I don't really hate anyone in particular. I am a little sad for the loss of the Aasimar but I can live with that.

In general I really like the Changeling, Warforged and Thri-Kreen. And I have always been very fond of the Lizardfolk, so I am somewhat partial to Dragonborn.

And Shifters... and Humans... awww hell I like'em all!

Elves, dwarves, and halflings. I like my races to be more than just humans with an emphasis.
Fire Blog Control, Change, and Chaos: The Elemental Power Source Elemental Heroes Example Classes Xaosmith Exulter Chaos Bringer Director Elemental Heroes: Looking Back - Class and Story Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Xaosmith (January 16, 2012) Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Harbinger (May 16, 2012) Check out my Elemental Heroes blog series and help me develop four unique elemental classes.
I ask because personally, I like almost all races. Some more than others but I don't really hate anyone in particular. I am a little sad for the loss of the Aasimar but I can live with that.


You mean the Deva?

Which incidentally, to go the opposite direction like all the cool kids are doing, my top five are prolly Warforged, Deva, Changeling, Thri-Kreen, and Pixie in no particular order.

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.


You mean the Deva?

Which incidentally, to go the opposite direction like all the cool kids are doing, my top five are prolly Warforged, Deva, Changeling, Thri-Kreen, and Pixie in no particular order.



Devas are the new Aasimar? Cool, I liked them already but I can see how the reflavouring goes now, thanks, kind of flew right through my head Laughing





May I ask what races do you like then? I think only Eladrin, Changeling, Minotaur, Shifter and Warforged escaped your wrath.




And Gnolls.

Eladrin just barely make the list, but teleporting is cool enough to make up for the rest of it.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
I'm generally a calm guy, but shardminds, especially the ones who like to be female and have crystalline mammaries, make me rage for some reason I can't explain. 
Me Kruzko, me bard... And me sing song for you! Explore Philippine Mythology for your 4E game, and visit us at Nosfecatu Publishing!
I've never liked warforged. At all. Drow are little better. They are still an evil race in any game I run--no exceptions. Sorry, Drizzt is unique and needs to stay that way.

Like Dapifer, I've also liked Lizardmen--though I've never played one as a PC--but for some reason I still haven't taken well to Dragonborn. I think it's due to the changes in 4e's Forgotten Realms. I'm not even sure that's it, honestly. Mostly, it's because Dragonborn just ooze with cheese factor. It's the sort of race that attracts 12-year olds and is somehow wholly unauthentic at the same time, if you catch my drift.

Finally, Wilden; goofy and unattractive, there isn't much I can find to like about them. (Shardmind are fairly goofy too!) Their backstory reads like the creator was trying just a little too hard to come up with something unique. Mostly, the picture of the wildens on page 14 of the PHB3, where they are introduced, is laughable to me. Those big, wonky ear-heads and that "I'm so serious" look on both of their faces. Cracks me up. Stupid looking things that they are!

Oh wait, I forgot the most important one--halflings! While most people find their skin crawling at the mention of gnomes, halflings fit that bill for me.

I couldn't stand them as Dragonlance's kender, either. I really tried to like Tasselhoff Burrfoot--I really did--but it just never worked out. They, like the Dragonborn now, lacked a sense of authenticity. Even now the D&D derivation of various halfling rogues, warlocks, and so forth makes me twitch just thinking about them. It's not even that I'm some sort of Rings fanatic either. *shrugs*
Wilden.  I don't like wilden
Races I don't like:

Dwarves - the flavor of little short men who live underground and have beards has always been stupifyingly dull.  They are, thematically, probably the dumbest race ever.  Magic the Gathering had a little article on 'why MtG doesn't have dwarves' where they reverse engineered the dwarven race.  This is what they came up with:

They live underground, so they're probably pale skinned and hairless (hair just catches on things, insulation is needless underground where temperature never changes)
They probably have a longer, leaner build, with powerful fore limbs for digging
... etc.

As they pointed out, the final result looked like a variant on goblins, and thus MtG doesn't have dwarves because they don't make any sense.  

Sadly D&D has not mastered this and thus there's still a race of short guys with beards.  

Gnomes - Screw.  Gnomes.  They have ALWAYS had terrible flavor, in every edition, and it always changes.  I can't even blame WotC.  They traded out Gnomes for Dragonborn in PHB1 and people complained.  Like, sorry, what?  You could be a little creepy thing or a GODDAMN LIVING DRAGON BREATHING FIRE and you're complaining that you're missing your creepy little guy?  Are they ever anything besides a joke race?  You can tell from the amazing feat support, the fact that WotC always uses halflings instead, the fact that they're now one of the 'random things in the feywild,' (and yet barely got a mention in their feywild book) that WotC does not like Gnomes, and yet they're stuck with them.  Every damn review of 4e when it was new mentioned the 'lack of gnomes,' people complained about the 'lack of gnomes,' messageboards were stuck with complaints on how people couldn't play their 'iconic gnome that they remember one of their friends played for a few sessions once in 2nd edition and totally did something I think.'   It's like some sort of evil curse.

Revenant - I hate it.  Totally.  The concept is far too limited to be a PC.  There is no 'race of revenants' and they don't thematically fit into a party in any way.  They should be NPCs.

Drow - it's sad, because I've read tons of drow fluff I really like.  For one, drow are about what I'd expect elven culture to look like if they had a high breeding rate of humans, limited space to live, and were near immortal (lots and lots of ways to kill off young drow).  Yet I don't think they should be a PC race because WE ALWAYS END UP WITH DRIZZLE THE TORTURED DARK ELF ON THE PATH OF REDEMPTION.

Minotaur - You're an anthropomorphic cow.

Good job.   


Vryloka - I hate you so much.
Shades. Basically just shadar-kai with all the interesting fluff removed, a pointless racial weakness and a racial power that, due to the way our group runs stealth outside of combat, does literally nothing. Just unmitigated garbage.

I'm not keen on the look of the wilden with their silly leaf-cloaks, but they don't compare to the shade in the epic fail stakes.

There are other races I'd probably never play (dwarf, shardmind, thri-kreen), but none I actively dislike.

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

Warforged and Eladrin.  I don't hate elves, but I dislike them enough that having two types of elves and half elves all in the PHB1 just seems like overkill on the whole elf thing.  Any other race could have made the PHB1 a better book than having 3 elf races.  Maybe thats why people complained so much about the lack of gnomes.
I really don't care for dwarves. I once played a character at Encounters who was racist against dwarves and duergar, but I toned it down because someone at the table was playing a dwarf and he was a nice guy.

Other than that, I could probably make pretty much any other race work for me. 
"Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” ~Mark Twain
Gnomes
Hate hate hate PC Gnomes.  Between Reactive Stealth and Fade Away, they bring the game to a screeching halt wanting to ask about stealth and invisibility on their turn.

Half-Orcs
The Reb Browns of D&D.  Every Half-Orc PC plays their character as a mindless charging berserker.  It's the same one note character either a rogue/ranger/fighter who probably charges more than an American in crippling debt.

Humans
But only if you're picking them just for the third at-will power.  Screw that Optimizing crap.  I give that out for free in my games anyways.

Vampire Class/Feat in 2013!

I prefer Next because 4E players and CharOpers can't find their ass without a grid and a power called "Find Ass."

I don't think there is any race I truly don't like.  What I don't like is the proliferation of races in the game.  It makes world designing harder as you have to imagine how each race fits into the setting, or eliminate some.  It can be hard to introduce new races into existing worlds too.

Kalex the Omen 
Dungeonmaster Extraordinaire

OSR Fan? Our Big Announcement™ is here!

Please join our forums!

Concerning Player Rules Bias
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
Gaining victory through rules bias is a hollow victory and they know it.
Concerning "Default" Rules
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
The argument goes, that some idiot at the table might claim that because there is a "default" that is the only true way to play D&D. An idiotic misconception that should be quite easy to disprove just by reading the rules, coming to these forums, or sending a quick note off to Customer Support and sharing the inevitable response with the group. BTW, I'm not just talking about Next when I say this. Of course, D&D has always been this way since at least the late 70's when I began playing.

Personally I dislike Half-X races.  If interbreeding truely works between some races and they have coexisted as long as most settings seem to show... its a wonder that there are so many true bloods of a race. 

Play whatever the **** you want. Never Point a loaded party at a plot you are not willing to shoot. Arcane Rhetoric. My Blog.

Humans
But only if you're picking them just for the third at-will power.  Screw that Optimizing crap.  I give that out for free in my games anyways.



Please, please, please, please, PLEASE just be trolling.



www.youtube.com/watch?v=-28aExCW9co

Humans are a great blank slate, you can take them in any direction.  It's just that much like gnomes and half-orcs the PCs they inspire tend to lack imagination and drag down the game.

Vampire Class/Feat in 2013!

I prefer Next because 4E players and CharOpers can't find their ass without a grid and a power called "Find Ass."

Shade is the only one I actively dislike.

There are plenty of others I'm just not particularly interested in, or in which I am interested, but there are more optimal choices for what I want to do with them.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Human, elf and half-elf.

They bore me.
Ahh, so THIS is where I can add a sig. Remember: Killing an ancient God inside of a pyramid IS a Special Occasion, and thus, ladies should be dipping into their Special Occasions underwear drawer.
I also don't care of Githzerai. This is less hatred and more like I just don't acknowledge their existence because their racial background and general personality is super boring. The quiet asctetic for an entire race just seems sooooo bland. It'd be like if you made the Neutrals from Futurama a race. Snooze city. I really like their background up til the splitting of the gith race; an ex-slave race seeking revenge from their former evil brain-eating monsterous masters is cool and can make for a compelling story. And while I understand some githzerai still hunt mindflayers the race as a whole just seems super bland and out of place for any game not taking place in the underdark or somewhere else mindflayers might be found.

My gaming group -- which is currently going through Scales of War -- found the whole Githzerai/Githyanki/ascetic/warmonger thing a whole lot more grokkable (and therefore tolerable) when we realized it was the Vulcans and the Romulans.  Think about it; it works.

I admit to a little bit of Drizzt-clone-burnout, so Drow are pretty low on my list unless the player can come up with some reason why their Drow is not stereotypical.  Other than that, I'll try adventuring with at least anything once.

(That being said, we're about to put SoW on the shelf for a while to have me DM War of the Burning Sky.  One of our players is pretty fixated on the idea of a Pixie Monk.  Dear Gods...)
loose [loos] vt. to let loose; to release; to unfasten, undo or untie; to shoot or discharge. lose [looz] vt. to come to be without (something in one's possession or care), through accident, theft, etc., so that there is little or no prospect of recovery; to fail inadvertently to retain (something) in such a way that it cannot be immediately recovered; to suffer the deprivation of. LEARN THE DAMN DIFFERENCE. The pen is mightier than the character builder. Copy this to your sig if you like 4e but don't use the CB. "OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E." -RedSiegfried
Races I don't like (Using the compendium as resource):
Dwarf, Elf, Human, Half-Elf, Satyr, Shade, Tiefling, Drow, Pixie, Vryloka, Hobgoblin, Bullywug, Kobold, Revenant, Githyanki, Mul, Wilden, Goblin, Halfling, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Bladeling, Githzerai, Deva, Gnome, Dragonborn, Orc, Goliath, Bugbear, Half-Orc, Genasi, Hamadryad.

These are the races I have no intention of ever playing.  However, I don't take out my dislikes on the other players, whether playing or DMing.  It doesn't matter if I find it interesting or not; so long as they're enjoying their character, that's what matters.



So your a big Minotaur fan then - good to know.
Wilden - Only because their appearance and features turned out really meh. Despite being playtested, not much was changed, and they just look ugly. Too bad, I liked the  concept.

Drow - I don't so much hate them, I don't mind drizzts or good drow or whatever, I find them mechanically meh, unless you intend to be a rogue of an arcane class (due to feat to all the feat support put in place to support the crappy race). 


Shade - Why wasn't this shadar-kai? Instead they produced another 'dark skinned shadowy race' to compete with thematic territory with drow and shadar-kai, and is inferior to both.


Githzerai/Githyanki - The githyanki actually seem kinda cool, but the githzerai are just monks in the elemental planes. They look odd and just look like alien elves. When my player's ask me if I ban any class/races my general response is "Everything's available, but be warned I'm not a huge fan of the giths".
Races I like: Human, Dragonborn, Thri-Kreen, Dwarf, Half-orc

Races I simply do not like: Drow, anything smaller than Medium, most of the stuff published after Dark Sun.

Everything else: take it or leave it. 
Wilden and Shardmind. Too alien for my taste. But in our last campaign, these races were each present, as their alien-ness appealed to two of the players. So although I do not like them, I do not begrudge their presence in the game.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
bullywug becouse i never heared a player say he wanted to play a big frog or how much fun he had with his bullywug character.
bullywug becouse i never heared a player say he wanted to play a big frog or how much fun he had with his bullywug character.



Well, they're a Monster Manual only race with no feat support, no flex stat, and have a racial that effects enemy healing surges...which is maybe going to happen once in a 30 level campaign.
bullywug becouse i never heared a player say he wanted to play a big frog or how much fun he had with his bullywug character.


My friend in our Monday night game is playing a big frog and is having a lot of fun doing so.

Now that you have heard a player say it (in writing), do you no longer dislike bullywugs?
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
bullywug becouse i never heared a player say he wanted to play a big frog or how much fun he had with his bullywug character.


My friend in our Monday night game is playing a big frog and is having a lot of fun doing so.

Now that you have heard a player say it (in writing), do you no longer dislike bullywugs?



they have rissen a bit but still a lot less posts on how nice bullywugs are and how many players play them then for amny of the other races.
I've never been a fan of halflings.  I've played maybe two in all the years I've been DnDing.  They're ineffective as anything but a rogue IMO.  I can't get Tolkien outta my head when I see one.  And I normally enjoy Tolkienesque stuff for what it is (my 3.5 homebrew was just such a setting in fact-- no halfings tho ;)).

My favorite race are muls.  I've played a few (one in a Dark Sun game).  They're bald, ruff-n-tuff brawlers.  The other races fall between these two extremes ;).  Deva are cool storywise but I don't wanna play one.

/\ Art
Personally I dislike Half-X races.  If interbreeding truely works between some races and they have coexisted as long as most settings seem to show... its a wonder that there are so many true bloods of a race. 


Humanity's on 30-40,000 years with notable differences between different regions still active.

If your great great grandfather on your mother's side was a half elf or half orc, you might have a few drops of elven or orcish blood, but it doesn't change anything (muls are sterile, and probably the only thing I like about dwarves, so well).
bullywug becouse i never heared a player say he wanted to play a big frog or how much fun he had with his bullywug character.



Well, they're a Monster Manual only race with no feat support, no flex stat, and have a racial that effects enemy healing surges...which is maybe going to happen once in a 30 level campaign.


Pretty much this. If they weren't the joke character of the PC races they'd actually be pretty awesome.



Gnomes - Screw.  Gnomes.  They have ALWAYS had terrible flavor, in every edition, and it always changes.


They don't have terrible flavor. They're monsters. Rawr!

I can't even blame WotC.  They traded out Gnomes for Dragonborn in PHB1 and people complained.  Like, sorry, what?  You could be a little creepy thing or a GODDAMN LIVING DRAGON BREATHING FIRE and you're complaining that you're missing your creepy little guy?  Are they ever anything besides a joke race?  


No, Bullywug is a joke race, gnomes are a joker race. There's a very important distinction between the two.

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
I've never been a fan of halflings.  I've played maybe two in all the years I've been DnDing.  They're ineffective as anything but a rogue IMO.  I can't get Tolkien outta my head when I see one.  And I normally enjoy Tolkienesque stuff for what it is (my 3.5 homebrew was just such a setting in fact-- no halfings tho ;)).

My favorite race are muls.  I've played a few (one in a Dark Sun game).  They're bald, ruff-n-tuff brawlers.  The other races fall between these two extremes ;).  Deva are cool storywise but I don't wanna play one.




Halflings make pretty awesome monks, sorcerers, scouts, and warlocks. Not just good at being rogues.

I hate the Pixie and Satyr, mainly because I can't begin to understand why we have those before we have Goblins and Kobolds. 
Personally I dislike Half-X races.  If interbreeding truely works between some races and they have coexisted as long as most settings seem to show... its a wonder that there are so many true bloods of a race. 


Humanity's on 30-40,000 years with notable differences between different regions still active.



Perhaps it's my american upbringing coming from a large melting pot but for the most part it's kinda what is represented in the fantasy I read at least.

For me its hard to think that a melting pot can last that long without blending a whole lot.

THough once again that might be my americanized thinking. 

Play whatever the **** you want. Never Point a loaded party at a plot you are not willing to shoot. Arcane Rhetoric. My Blog.

Personally I dislike Half-X races.  If interbreeding truely works between some races and they have coexisted as long as most settings seem to show... its a wonder that there are so many true bloods of a race. 


Humanity's on 30-40,000 years with notable differences between different regions still active.



Perhaps it's my american upbringing coming from a large melting pot but for the most part it's kinda what is represented in the fantasy I read at least.

For me its hard to think that a melting pot can last that long without blending a whole lot.

THough once again that might be my americanized thinking. 



Not even your american thinking..its your region of america you are in.

I can walk around and black folk who don't have a lick of any non-black in em.  Same with people who came from Japan, China....especially mexico lately.

America is ment to be a melting pot, but some things have still existed for years.  Also do consider we have people (from each race) who believe that they shouldn't 'dilute' their race and will actually kill others who do.
I don't think there is any race I truly don't like.  What I don't like is the proliferation of races in the game.  It makes world designing harder as you have to imagine how each race fits into the setting, or eliminate some.  It can be hard to introduce new races into existing worlds too.



I do it the easy way.  I disassociate race and culture.  'Races' don't do things; cultures/nations do.  An elf and a dwarf from a particular nation are going to have more in common behaviorally than two dwarves from different nations.  Finding out where you fit?  Well, what country are you from?  There's your answer.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.