Mounted combat: Equerry theme + new feats

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Here's a download containing a new theme (the equerry), a new paragon path (the roughrider), and just over two dozen new mounted combat feats: here. Open the spoiler for a preview of the equerry's level 1 feature, its 1st level encounter power, and a couple of the feats:

Show
Starting Feature
    Benefit: You gain the Mounted Combat Feat and the ride-by-attack power.

Ride-By-Attack | Equerry Utility
You make a fast attack from your mount.
At-Will * Martial, Weapon
Standard ActionMelee or Ranged weapon
Requirement: You must be riding a mount.
Effect: Your mount moves its' speed, and you can make a single basic attack at any point during the move. During this movement, you and your mount both gain a +2 power bonus to AC and Reflex against opportunity attacks provoked by the mount's movement.

Mounted Overrun | 
Equerry Attack 1
Your mount shoves or tramples your foe into the ground.
Encounter * Martial
Standard Action | Personal
Effect: Your mount charges. At the end of the charge, the mount uses one of its at-will attacks. If the attack hits, the damage roll is increased by one, and the target is knocked prone.
    Level 11: As above, but the damage roll is increased by two.
    Level 21: As above, but the damage roll is increased by three.

Mounted Skirmishing    You are adept in mounted melee combat.
    Prerequisite: Mounted Combat feat
    Benefit:While you are riding a mount, you and the mount both gain a +1 feat bonus to melee attack rolls and melee damage rolls. Both of theses bonuses increase to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level

Roughshod Mount    You’ve trained your mount to take advantage of a defenceless enemy.
    Benefit: While you are riding a mount, your mount can move through the spaces of prone enemies, When your mount does so, the enemy takes damage equal to the mount's Strength modifier.
    Source: NEW.

Mounted combat is a pretty major aspect of my personal campaign setting. The city of Silverholme in the north is ruled by an order of zealous knights and paladins, who regularly ride out to combat undead armies sent by the shades and intelligent undead who now control their city's former twin, Ebonwatch (once known as Goldenwatch). The nomads of the southern plains use mounts to gain an advantage against the various dangerous creatures that inhabit their homeland. The githyanki empire in the east is (as in most settings) famous for the use of red dragons as mounts. Many of the thri-kreen cities in the western continent are protected by warriors riding a variety of flying insects (either or both of which often have bizarre technomagical augmentations).

Due to the lack of mounted combat options available in 4th Editon, I've spent some time developing my own, in the form of the equerry theme, the roughrider paragon path, and over a dozen new feats. Those familar with 3rd Edition D&D and/or Pathfinder will undoubtedly recognize many of the feats and some of the powers; I've borrowed from pretty much every 3E/3.5E mounted combat feat and prestige class feature available in the WotC source books ;). The mounted combat options available in the Cavalier article in Dragon #393 should work well with the equerry and the new feats, and the White Horn knight paragon path in Dragon #406 is an excellent fey-themed alternative to the roughrider.

The equerry theme and roughrider paragon path are mainly intended for melee characters. Obviously the fighter and paladin are especially suitable fluff-wise (especially the knight and cavalier sub-classes), but in my campaign there are plenty of mounted rangers, warlords, barbarians, warlocks, sorcerers, and even artificers. The features are therefore designed to benefit pretty much anyone capable of making basic attacks who uses a mount, and their emphasis on mobility means that low defense characters should still be able to benefit. The optional attack powers are mainly melee orientated (most are variations or improvements on the standard charge), but the utilities should prove useful for most characters. Absolutely none of the features or powers rely on particular ability scores.

The theme began life shortly after the Dark Sun Campaign Setting was released, and matched the format of the themes in that book exactly. When the post-Essentials themes came along, I decided to adapt it to match those, but was loathe to lose the attack powers. In the end, I just decided to go with a hybrid of both: level 1, 5, and 10 features, optional utility powers, AND optional attack powers.

Please let me you know what you think. Is anything underpowered or overpowered? Any suggestions for additional content?
Make one that could appeal to any class, including "spell casters". Perhaps make it a general equestrian arts theme, instead of a mounted combat theme.
Make one that could appeal to any class, including "spell casters". Perhaps make it a general equestrian arts theme, instead of a mounted combat theme.

If the spell caster in question has at least attack power he or she can use as a basic attack, then the theme's features should at least benefit them. Of the arcane classes, only the artificer, PH2 bard, and swordmage don't have any at-will "use as basic attack" powers (and PH2 bards who pick up the Skald Training feat gain access to the skald at-wills, all of which enhance their basic attacks). I may homebrew some powers of this type for those classes which don't have them.

Also, see the "Mounted Casting" feat, which allows close bursts to start in each square occupied by the mount, and you to move your mount's speed as a free action immediately before or after you use a ranged or area implement power.
There seems to be a problem with the link.
Fixed. (See, it doesn't only happen to WotC :D.)
I've updated the Equerry with the following changes:

- Attack powers now scale with tier, as per the Dark Sun themes.

- Mounted overrun now adds one die to your mount's damage roll. Previously it added your mount's Strength modifier to the damage roll.

Devastating thunder now deals 1[W] extra damage to the target, and the penalties apply to enemies within 2 squares of your mount. Previously it dealt no extra damage, and affected enemies within 5 squares of you.

- Mounted blitz now deals half damage on a miss, and specifies that a mount must be able to see a target to be able to attack it.

- The epic tier Deadly Mount feat has been added, which adds one die to the damage rolls of your mount's basic attacks. This of course also affects the mounted overrun, mount and blade, and mounted blitz powers.

I've also included a spoilered preview of the article at the top of the first post. 
Ride-By-Attack | Equerry Utility

You make a fast attack from your mount.
At-Will * Martial, Weapon
Standard ActionMelee or Ranged weapon
Effect: Your mount moves its' speed, and you can make a single basic attack at any point during the move. During this movement, you and your mount both gain a +2 power bonus to AC and Reflex against opportunity attacks provoked by the mount's movement.

IMAGE(http://www.monkeyboobies.com/gallery/d/221-2/drive+me+closer_+i+want+to+hit+them+with+my+sword.png)Tongue Out

I've updated the download with a couple of extra optional equerry powers, a new paragon path (the roughrider), and a few more new feats. All that's left to add is a level 1 daily attack power (still stumped for ideas) and various racial mounted combat feats.

The new feats include Mounted Translocation, intended to allow characters who teleport a lot to make use of mounts. This was inspired by the White Horn knight paragon path in Dragon #406, since I felt the path was thematically an excellent fit for the sword guard of Astrazalian (Dragon #395), but mechanically the two didn't work well together. The feat should also be highly useful for mounted assault swordmages and fey warlocks.

Mounted Translocation
    Benefit: While you are riding a mount, whenever you or an ally teleport you or your mount, you can choose for both you and your mount to be teleported. If you do so, you must teleport to a square adjacent to your mount.
    Special: You do not gain the benefit of this feat when you or your mount are teleported by an enemy.

Sign In to post comments