"Something went wrong" error constantly in CB

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I just re-upped my sub w/ DDI so I'm using CB again. I tried building a character today and about 8/10 times I choose an option I get a "Something went wrong" error and a bunch of technical mumbo-jumbo is in the details (as if it helps me figure out anything). Here is the techno-jargon if anyone can decipher it and perhaps give me a solution (fyi I'm already updated to the latest version of Silverlight, as the CB asked to do that first and foremost):


WotC.CharBuilder.DataModel.CharacterUpdateException: An error occurred while reloading the character ---> System.InvalidOperationException: [InvalidOperation_EnumFailedVersion]
Arguments:
Debugging resource strings are unavailable. Often the key and arguments provide sufficient information to diagnose the problem. See go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=106663&V...
at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowInvalidOperationException(ExceptionResource resource)
at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.Enumerator.MoveNextRare()
at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.Enumerator.MoveNext()
at WotC.XAMLUtilities.CommandBase`2.FireCanExecuteChanged()
at WotC.XAMLUtilities.CommandHelpers.FireCanExecuteChanged(ICommand command)
at WotC.CharBuilder.ViewModel.ManageEditPane.ModelUpdated()
at WotC.CharBuilder.ViewModel.CharacterEditPane.Model_Updated(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at WotC.CharBuilder.DataModel.Character.UpdateFromXml(CharacterState state, DateTime messageSent, DateTime startedProcessing)
at WotC.CharBuilder.DataModel.Workspace.<>c__DisplayClass45.b__40(CharacterState state)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---


 It's driving me nuts as the number 1 reason I got the sub again was to build characters for hours on end, and this error makes it pretty much impossible. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Same here. I got on to prepare for a game tomorrow. The one difference I see is that the builder is also deleting the characters that this is happening to.
darkskydex3226, do you have Silverlight 5 installed? These problems stopped bothering me when I switched to my laptop, which it still on Silverlight 4.

Something to consider.
I did upgrade to Silverlight 5. I'm going to try reverting back to 4. I switched to my Windows partition as well and didn't upgrade and it worked perfectly (well sometimes it would crash when I would save the character, but it still saved so that was fine)... I'm going to try and downgrade it on my Mac partition too. Thanks for the idea!
Downgrading worked! Thanks daleborn!
I've got the same error, but my system REFUSES to downgrade to Silverlight 4 – I've deleted all the files, run Terminal and tried to delete hidden files, ended activity on Silverlight… it still thinks that Silverlight 5 is on my Macbook. 


Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

So switching to silverlight 4 seems to work, but has anyone seen a post from WoTC staff acknowledging the problem at least?  I would like to know that it will be fixed eventually.
Hey,

Here is a presently-working link to a site offering downloads of Silverlight 4. I downloaded 4.0.60531.0 and installed it which has made the character builder work as well as it ever did. It doesn't seem to have caused any problems elsewhere on my machine - I'll post again if I find it has.

Instructions (windows only, sorry):

1. Open 'control panel', open 'programs'
2. Select 'Silverlight' and uninstall
3. Download silverlight 4.0.60531.0, possibly from here: www.oldapps.com/silverlight.php 
4. Install the silverlight 4.0.60531.0 .exe file
5. Restart web-browser
6. Character builder should work now!

Hope this is helpful,

Yours,


JMH