Immediate Reactions

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've got a question. The aspect of Orcus has an immediate reaction attack that states "When an enemy moves or shifts into a square adjacent to the aspect of Orcus, make a Tail Lash attack." Now lets say player one moves adjacent to Orcus and then my immediate reaction goes off. Then, lets say player two moves adjacent to Orcus. Do I get to use Orcus's immediate reaction again? The people I play with believe that immediate interrupts can only be  once per full round (meaning Orcus would have to wait until after his next initiative order to use the Tail Lash ability again). I believe Orcus could use this as many times as the condition happens. Who is correct. Furthermore, does whatever the correct rule also apply to opportunity attacks (meaning you could only do one until after a full round has gone by)?
All immediate actions are limited to once per round (once between the end of the creature's turn and the start of its next turn). So you can do one immediate reaction OR immediate interrupt. Opportunity Actions are a separate category and can be taken once per turn. The PHB or the Essentials Rules Compendium (I think maybe the DMK also) contain the rules for when and how actions can be taken. That should answer any further questions.

So specifically, Orcus can tail lash once per round, but he can take an OA once against each character that provokes one (one character per turn).
That is not dead which may eternal lie

round - a full combat round.  E.g. The aspect of Orcus's turn and all the player's turns.

Each creature only gets one(1) Immediate action per round (same rule for reactions and interupts), which resets on their own turn (and they can't make Immediate actions on their own turn).

Each creature gets one(1) OA per other-creature's turn.  So if an enemy moves past you, you get an OA, then a second enemy moves past you, you get another OA.  But if an adjacent enemy uses a ranged attack then moves away, you will only get one OA.

There are no limits on "free action" and "no action" actions, apart from not being silly.

The scenario I had on Saturday was this: The encounter starts Enemies go 1st (good initiative roll), they have their turn and a PC does an immediate reaction.
This occured before they have had a chance to start their turn, so when do they get to reset their immediate action.
I figured it would either be as soon as their turn is over, in which case they could theoretically get two immediate actions in 1 round if another enemy attacks them after their turn but before the start of a new round or...
the immediate action would not reset until after the PC's 2nd turn is over.

I decided to go with resetting it when the new round started and then if they didn't use it until after they 2nd turn I could then reset it as normal.
It resets at the end of the PC's turn.

You get one immediate before your first turn, then one before you second.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Once per Round effects, including Immediate action, recharge at the start of your next turn.

RC 195 Once Per Round: A creature can take only one Immediate action per round, either an Immediate Interrupt or an Immediate Reaction. Therefore if a creature take an Immediate action, it can’t take another one until the start of it's next turn. 

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Gah, I can never remember whether it's beginning or end.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Not that it particularly matters since you can't take Immediate actions on your own turn anyway.

Returned from hiatus; getting up to speed on 5e rules lawyering.

Well yeah, I was gonna say.

Not that it particularly matters since you can't take Immediate actions on your own turn anyway.

I believe it's at the start of your turn so that it resets at your previous initiative even if you choose to delay.  If you never take your delayed turn, it resets again at the previous time, but if you do take a delayed turn, then the following reset is delayed to your new initiative.
Delay changes nothing regarding once per round recharge mechanic because at the moment you Delay, you carry out the start of your turn normally.

RC 242 Start of Your Turn: The start of the creature's turn occurs when the creature Delay, not when it later takes its turn.

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Bob the Battlemind attacks a monster at initiative 18, and hits it with Battlemind's Demand.
Monster foolishly attacks an ally at initiative 16, so Bob the Battlemind uses Mind Spike.  **OW MY BRAIN**
Bob the Battlemind, at initiative 18, decides to delay to initiative 12.
Monster foolishly attacks an ally at initiative 16, so Bob the Battlemind uses Mind Spike.  **OW MY BRAIN**
Bob the Battlemind attacks the monster at initiative 12.
Monster smartly attacks an ally at initiative 16, so Bob the Battlemind stands there looking foolish thinking (If only Mind Spike weren't just about as effective as what I'm doing now...)
Bob the Battlemind attacks the monster at initiative 12.
Monster, having already reduced the wizard to ChunkySalsa, foolishly attacks another ally, so Bob the Battlemind uses Mind Spike.  **OW MY BRAIN** and monster dies.  Too bad that last swing also ChunkySalsa'd the cleric.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Delay changes nothing regarding once per round recharge mechanic because at the moment you Delay, you carry out the start of your turn normally.

RC 242 Start of Your Turn: The start of the creature's turn occurs when the creature Delay, not when it later takes its turn.

Exactly, which is why Immediate Actions recharge at the start of your turn and not the end (which was the point of my previous post)
Ok. So when you delay you have started your turn but have not finished it until such time as you undelay and continue with your turn.
So all the time inbetween when other people and enemies are having their turn you are still considered to have started your turn so will not be able to do any immediate actions as it is still within your turn. - correct or not.

What about opportunity attacks, or other actions for that matter?

You are still in limbo, because as soon as you decide to do something you are undelaying and continuing with your turn.
Delaying doesn't prevent you from taking actions so you can still take Triggerred actions or Free actions as normal.

Yan
Montréal, Canada

So PC's who are delaying still incure on-going effects such as damage, they can also make saving throws if they have a feature that allows that (so long as it doesn't require an action to do so).

However, they are still within their turn and you can't take immediate actions during your turn.

If the round does one complete cycle and the PC's hasn't had taken their turn can they make any end of turn saving throws before the start of their next turn.
So they haven't completely wasted their go.
So PC's who are delaying still incure on-going effects such as damage, they can also make saving throws if they have a feature that allows that (so long as it doesn't require an action to do so).

However, they are still within their turn and you can't take immediate actions during your turn.

If the round does one complete cycle and the PC's hasn't had taken their turn can they make any end of turn saving throws before the start of their next turn.
So they haven't completely wasted their go.

No, this is incorrect. You do not take saving throws if you delay until you choose to take your action, and you can take immediate actions again immediately, as it reset during your "start of turn" phase.  When you delay it is not "still within their turn", as they actually do part of their turn and then step out of initiative order.

Delaying your turn is described in Rules Compendium page 242
This is somewhat off topic for this thread but worth laying out

New edits/additions in red

When you delay, the following happens:

1) You declare you are delaying, this is a free action before you start your turn, so you have to decide this before doing the Start of Turn steps.  Because this requires a free action, you can't delay when under an effect that prevents you from taking actions such as Dominated, Unconscious, Petrified, Stunned or Removed From Play
2) You do everything that happens at "Start of your turn" (RC 197). No actions* may be taken during this time.  These steps can occur in any order you choose.
       a) Take ongoing damage
       b) Regenerate
       c) Reset your one use of immediate action per round (RC 195)
       d) End any other effects that were "until the start of your next turn"
       e) If you have an ability that grants a saving throw at the start of your turn, such as the Supreme Will feat, or a stance, you make that saving throw now

You cannot choose to not delay at this point in reaction to having made a saving throw or due to an action taken by another creature in reaction to the start of your turn. You must complete the following end of turn steps
3) Your "End of Turn" is split, and part of it happens now.  No actions* may be taken during this time:
       a) Any effects you were sustaining end
       b) Any effects that ended "at the end of your next turn" now end IF beneficial to you and your allies**
4) At this point it is no longer your turn and you can take your immediate action if the trigger arises.  After any other creatures turn is completed, you may choose to step back into the initiative order and take your turn.  This includes immediately after your turn and before any other creature acts.  If you do not do so before returning to your original position in initiative order, then you start your next turn, and you have forgone any chance to end harmful effects or take saving throws.

Reentering Initative:
 When you choose to step back into initiative, the following happens:
1) You skip the usual start of turn actions (no ongoing damage, no regen, etc).  This does mean that if you were afflicted with an additional ongoing damage effect since you delayed, you do not take that damage now, but you also don't get any new regen effect (for example if you were bloodied in the interim and regen while bloodied).  You also don't regain your immediate action if you used it since you delayed.  Feats and abilities that grant saving throws at the start of your turn do NOT trigger again at this point (that would give you an extra free saving throw)
     Additionally, other creatures cannot take actions that would normally trigger at the start of your turn.   For example, if an enemy (A)  has delayed, and a wizard hits another enemy (B) with Charm of the Defender and moves them adjacent to the delayed enemy, then when enemy (A) chooses to re-enter the initiative order, they would NOT be attacked by enemy (B) due to Charm of the Defender because they had already started their turn when first delaying.  If A chooses not to reenter the initiative and gets back to the original position in the order, then Charm of the Defender would cause them to be attacked.
2) Your initiative changes to this new position in the order.
3) Take your standard, move and minor actions in any order. 
4) End of turn:
      a) Now you can take saving throws as normal
      b) Also end effects that were "until the end of your next turn" that were harmful to you and your allies ***

*By no action, I mean literally no action, including free actions.  But if other creatures have powers they can use at the start of your turn or end of your turn, they can do so.

** Beneficial includes benefits to your or allies (Like a bonus to defenses or damage rolls) as well as effects you have placed on enemies (like dazed, stunned etc)

*** harmful to your and your allies includes negative effects on you (weakened, granting CA) that would have ended at the end of your turn if you had not delayed.  As the delay rules point out, you can't avoid effects by delaying. If you choose not to act at all, they are still active when your next turn comes up at your normal spot in the initiative.

If you're under an effect that requires a save to end, delaying doesn't pay off unless its an effect you can safely ignore (like ongoing damage you aren't concerned about), or if it's an effect where an ally might grant you a save and change your turn, like if you're currently dazed.  But in that case, if the granted save is failed, you might as well take your turn right away to get another save at the end of that turn.

The one point the rules are silent on (at least explicitly) - if you're under an effect that gets worse if you fail a save, like the Sleep spell, what happens when you delay?  Under the rules for Failed Saving Throw (RC 98), those effects only take place after rolling all saving throws at the end of your turn, so it seems that if you keep delaying, you can avoid the effect by never taking saving throws.  However, doing so violates the idea that you can ignore negative effects by delaying. 
   I recall there was a discussion about it in another thread (maybe the simple question thread) and it seems the two answers are either:
  1) You actually can keep delaying it - you're trading all of your actions in order to stave off the effect, or
  2) You are considered to have failed it for this purpose as soon as your delay
Option 2 is much harsher towards the PCs, so I think option 1 is better, and seems to fit RAW best based on the Delay and Failed Saving Throw rules in the RC.  You aren't really avoiding the negative effect, as you still have the original effect, but you can avoid getting worse.

Very comprehensive and easy to understand. Thanks.
Very well laid out RisingZan !

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Very well laid out RisingZan !

Thanks, Plaguescarred.  I actually thought of some things I missed or had slightly incorrect, so I made some edits above, clearly marked in Red.

Maybe we should look at cleaning it up some more as needed and create a new sticky post like the Ready an Action FAQ?
Maybe we should look at cleaning it up some more as needed and create a new sticky post like the Ready an Action FAQ?

You'd have to do more than clean it to have a comprehensive lay out Delay Action be stickied and successfully passing as a Ready An Action FAQ  Tongue Out

Yan
Montréal, Canada

You've made one error that I saw:

If you're under an effect that requires a save to end, delaying doesn't pay off unless its an effect you can safely ignore (like ongoing damage you aren't concerned about), or if it's an effect where an ally might grant you a save and change your turn, like if you're currently dazed. 

You can't Delay when Dazed.

Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.

That Compendium rules quote is from the original PH. The daze rules in the RC no longer say that you can't delay.

The PHB rules on delaying have been superceded by those in the RC. Why the compendium hasn't been updated, I couldn't tell you. Delaying your turn is now a free action. There is no longer any stipulation about not being able to delay while being dazed, so since you can take free actions while dazed, you can delay while dazed.
You've made one error that I saw:

If you're under an effect that requires a save to end, delaying doesn't pay off unless its an effect you can safely ignore (like ongoing damage you aren't concerned about), or if it's an effect where an ally might grant you a save and change your turn, like if you're currently dazed. 

I actually originally had Dazed included in the list at the beginning of conditions that prevented Delaying, because I recalled that the PHB said you couldn't delay when Dazed, but then I double checked in the RC and that restriction is no longer in place.  Its possible it was an oversight when Delay was changed from a No Action to a Free Action, or it was intentional and the compendium just isn't up to date.
    As a player, I'd actually be ok with it either way as long as the DM is consistent about it.
I read somewhere at sometime that a DM could move all the monsters (on their initiative) at the same time, then make attacks for them as appropriate.  Would this be legal?  As I understand it, each monster on initiative count X would be moving, then essentially readying/delaying their action until the rest of them finished moving.  

As long as he *is* Readying their actions (using all the Ready An Action rules) and he *is* spending their Immediates to use the Readied Actions, yes - you can move all the monsters then have all the monsters attack.

This obeys all the normal Ready An Action rules, though, and it does use up their Immediate.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.