A contest about distinctions

142 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello everyone

I had this idea for this contest some time ago. I'll first post a card, then the next person must post a card that does NOT match any of the following part of the previous card. They may grade the previous card if they want.

1. Different names
2. Different CMC
3. Different supertype(s), type(s), and subtype(s)
4. Different color(s)
5. Different rarety
6. Different keyword(s)
7. No five-colored cards.
8. No cards with six or more keywords.
9. Different number of subtypes
10. The same number should not appear in both cards (except mana cost)

Example

If the person before you posted the following card:

Seagull
Creature--Bird (common)
Flying
2/3

Then you can only post a non-creature, non-blue, non-common card that does not have the name "Seagull" and flying does not appear anywhere in the text box. The CMC is not 4, there should be 0 or 2 and more subtypes, and the number 2 and 3 should not be anywhere in the card except in the form of mana symbols.

Ok, i'll start of with the following card:

Peace Dragon
Creature -- Dragon (Rare)
Flying, defender, lifelink.
When Peace Dragon enters the battlefield, you gain 5 life.
, : Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt this turn.
4/5

~ You Take to the Sky ~

57325798 wrote:
STOP SOPA/PIPA. Okay, a little post about this in my sig which half of the people on here won't even see isn't likely to do a lot, but if you aren't aware of what's going on, educate yourself. And then join in the chorus of voices shouting at the U.S. Congress to stop these bills. Visit Wikipedia to learn more and to contact your Senators and Representatives. -- According to lawyers… (SOPA) doesn’t shut down your website and remove it from the Internet. It just makes it so that people cannot, in any way, access the website. So it’s sort of like coming up with a plan to prevent teen pregnancy that includes filling penises with cement. — Jon Stewart
I shall play this game:

Beat Senseless

Instant (uncommon)

~ deals 2 damage to target creature, tap that creature
That creature doesn't untap during its controller's untap step

As for the rating, 8/10, it's a good card, but I feel it's overpowered since it can shut down opponent's offenses completely, and at a low mana cost too.
Woot! Go RED! I love red! Red is awesome! Did I mention I love red?
those personality things
Suprisingly enough, in that test, I'm not red I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

Boss smileys: Come check out the Expanded Multiverse Project for great stories and a great community
quotes
56778328 wrote:
Why did you post it here? "Hey, all you guys who play this game! I'm not gonna play it!" "Umm... Ok, dude."
For Monoredburn -- 7.5/10. I see what you are trying to do, but i think this card is underpowered, especially at uncommon. If you target a creature with toughness 3 or more, it just tap it for two turns (a reduced Frost Breath) Otherwise its just a shock. I know it has flexibility, but the cost is kind of too high. Maybe make it ? or for 3 damage? Good design though. And thanks for being the first person who joins this contest

Earthbound

Sorcery (Rare)
Creatures with flying loses flying.
"You are going down, down, down~"

~ You Take to the Sky ~

57325798 wrote:
STOP SOPA/PIPA. Okay, a little post about this in my sig which half of the people on here won't even see isn't likely to do a lot, but if you aren't aware of what's going on, educate yourself. And then join in the chorus of voices shouting at the U.S. Congress to stop these bills. Visit Wikipedia to learn more and to contact your Senators and Representatives. -- According to lawyers… (SOPA) doesn’t shut down your website and remove it from the Internet. It just makes it so that people cannot, in any way, access the website. So it’s sort of like coming up with a plan to prevent teen pregnancy that includes filling penises with cement. — Jon Stewart
Earthbound = very fair --- 9.5/10

Grave Totem
Artifact (Common)
, sacrifice ~: Exile all cards in target graveyard.
The horrid faces on the obelisk watch the field hungrily, their gaping maws ever expanding.
9/10 for grave totem.

Have to point out: both Earthbound and Beat Senseless are CMC 3.

Knowledge Overload |
Instant (uncommon)
~ cannot be countered
~ deals damage to target player equal to the number of cards in their hand.
The wizard who memorizes a thousand books is insane.

*checks whether it already exists*
DAMN YOU Gaze of Adamaro. Even picked the same mana cost...

Eh, I guess the "can't be countered" clause, and lack of arcane, is a distinguishing trait.
9/10 for grave totem.

Have to point out: both Earthbound and Beat Senseless are CMC 3.

Knowledge Overload |
Instant (uncommon)
~ cannot be countered
~ deals damage to target player equal to the number of cards in their hand.
The wizard who memorizes a thousand books is insane.

*checks whether it already exists*
DAMN YOU Gaze of Adamaro. Even picked the same mana cost...

Eh, I guess the "can't be countered" clause, and lack of arcane, is a distinguishing trait.

Oops, sorry, i forgot about the CMC.

Anyway-- 9/10 for the balance/flavor, but like you have pointed out, it is lack of orginality. so overall i'll say 8.5/10. Maybe even a bit underpowered, since Gaze is based in an arcane set and arcane spells are generally weaker than others. Just adding can't be countered doesn't feel enough to me.

Water Ritual
Sorcery (Common)
Cast Water Ritual no more than twice each turn.
Draw a card.
You may cast Water Ritual from your graveyard.

~ You Take to the Sky ~

57325798 wrote:
Interesting card advantage, although a bit overpriced. 8.5/10.

Richor, The Deathless One

Creature - Spirit [Mr]

Indestructible, Deathtouch
If an effect would cause ~ to go to the grveyard, you may put ~ into your hand instead of your graveyard
When ~ enters the battlefield, destroy target creature, it can't be regenerated

5/2
He carves a path of endless sorrow

those personality things
I am White/Black

Boss smileys: Come check out the Expanded Multiverse Project for great stories and a great community
quotes
56778328 wrote:
Why did you post it here? "Hey, all you guys who play this game! I'm not gonna play it!" "Umm... Ok, dude."

9/10 Great design, though a bit overpowered.

For Ga'hoole!
Instant (Uncommmon)
Target creature gets +1/+0 and gains first strike and haste until end of turn. Untap it. It must attack this turn if able. Prevent all combat damage dealt to that creature this turn.

(This is a card from my set community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...I'm too lazy to make new cards, and i can recive useful comments this way.)

~ You Take to the Sky ~

57325798 wrote:
For Ga'hoole = i don't like the concept of powering up a creature and making it impervious - but my tastes on that aside, price seems reasonable - and the first half of  the card is very red -- one thing that really sticks out though is the name - especially with use of the exclamation point, this should be flavor text, not the card name - put it in quotation marks, and clearly conveys an acolyte charging in the name of Ga'hoole - doesn't fit as card name, though ---- 6.5/10

Darkwood Ettercap
Creature - Spider Giant (Rare)
~ is indestructible.
Other spider creatures you control get +1/+1.
It is said an ettercap's silkgland grants immortality.  However, no one has ever been able to test the claim.  The Spider-Wardens do not part easily with their own flesh.
4/4

---i know the flavor text got lame - but was trying to convey why he gives spiders a boost - if you know the lore on ettercaps, you understand
8/10 Why is this black though? Indestructible and pump are more commonly asssociated with green or colorless. It's also a spider, which are usuallly mono-green

Continuing on my ~ the ~ one cycle thing, I will post a slightly revised version of somethnig I recently posted elsewhere

Mirkos, The Ruthless One

Legendary Creature- Spirit

Haste, First strike
When ~ enters the battlfield, ~ deals 3 damage to up to two target creatures
When ~ blocks or becomes blocked, it gets +3/+0 until end of turn

3/3
He blazes a path of cruelty and hate
those personality things
I am White/Black

quotes
56778328 wrote:
@Koridian: What do you suggest as the card name?

Monoredburn: 9/10 I like the concept, standard red. Might be a little bit overpowered. 3/2 would fit better, and maybe make it 3 damage to target creature or player? also i don't see the spirit here. And i have to point out that both the spider and mirkos are creature with CMC 5.

Deseperate Justice
Instant (Common)
Exile target attacking creature whose controller controls an artifact or an enchantment.
Cycling 3
When you cycle Deseperate Justice, destroy target artifact or enchantment.

~ You Take to the Sky ~

57325798 wrote:
Oops, sorry about that... 9/10 for desperate justice, its a good, flexible card, just maybe a bit OP though.

Let's try this again:

Chardon, The Primal One

Trample, hexproof
When ~ enters the battlefield, destroy target non-basic land

4/4
A path he creates of feriocity and wildness
those personality things
I am White/Black

quotes
56778328 wrote:

(shrug) maybe Relentless Charge, Devoted Strike, Devoted Assault, Directed Assault, i dunno --- i like the phrase "For Ga'hoole!" for flavor, and think it would be awesome as flavortext ---

i recently ran a contest for cards around Bolas; someone posted "Cultist of Bolas" that sacrificed itself to do an ability, and flavor text was "For the glory of the Dragon!" ---- there, it worked perfectly

(shrug) maybe Relentless Charge, Devoted Strike, Devoted Assault, Directed Assault, i dunno --- i like the phrase "For Ga'hoole!" for flavor, and think it would be awesome as flavortext ---

i recently ran a contest for cards around Bolas; someone posted "Cultist of Bolas" that sacrificed itself to do an ability, and flavor text was "For the glory of the Dragon!" ---- there, it worked perfectly

I got it. Thanks for the advise. 

~ You Take to the Sky ~

57325798 wrote:
9/10 Well balanced, or even a bit underpowered for a mythic rare.

Alright, continue my ritual cycle

Fire Ritual
Sorcery (common)
Cast Fire Ritual no more than twice each turn.
Fire Ritual deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
You may cast Fire Ritual from your graveyard.

~ You Take to the Sky ~

57325798 wrote:
Fire Ritual = like - only concern is clarity... you can only cast the same copy of ~ up to twice a turn, or only two casts despite how many copies you have?  that is, if you have two in your graveyard, and one in your hand, and somehow have crazy mana, can you cast all 3 two times each? --- 8.5/10

Arbiter of Shadow
Creature - Specter Horror
Flying.
Whenever ~ attacks, creatures you control gain fear until end of turn.
"They are wraiths on wings.  None dare oppose them." -- Gregor, fallen General of Triste's Pass
2/3

--note: yes, fear, not intimidate - scr*w intimidate!!!! -- "intimidate" would have made sense as the red equivalent of fear - each color could have had its own -- but lumping them all into one just bl*ws
Fire Ritual = like - only concern is clarity... you can only cast the same copy of ~ up to twice a turn, or only two casts despite how many copies you have?  that is, if you have two in your graveyard, and one in your hand, and somehow have crazy mana, can you cast all 3 two times each? --- 8.5/10

Arbiter of Shadow
Creature - Specter Horror
Flying.
"They are wraiths on wings.  None dare oppose them." -- Gregor, fallen General of Triste's Pass
2/3

--note: yes, fear, not intimidate - scr*w intimidate!!!! -- "intimidate" would have made sense as the red equivalent of fear - each color could have had its own -- but lumping them all into one just bl*ws

No. only two casts despite how many copies you have. I can't think of any ways to clearify on that, but all cards with the same name can be only casted twice each turn.

By the way, what is the rarity of your specter? Rare?

~ You Take to the Sky ~

57325798 wrote:
oops -- forgot rarity -- thanks for reminder, iqiq (and, yes, rare)

Arbiter of Shadow
Creature - Specter Horror (Rare)
Flying.
2/3
oops -- forgot rarity -- thanks for reminder, iqiq (and, yes, rare)

Arbiter of Shadow
Creature - Specter Horror (Rare)
Flying.
2/3

You're welcome. 9.5/10 very balanced. Decent evasive card. giving non-black creature fear, especially good creatures like angel, sounds wierd to me though.

Booming Mist
Instant (Uncommon)
Counter all other spells on the stack. Booming Mist deals 1 damage to the spell’s controller and 1 damage to you for each spell countered this way.
Deep in the forest mist, everything was quiet—or maybe not—Boom!

(is this card overpowered?)

~ You Take to the Sky ~

57325798 wrote:
no time to post -- but, IMO: not overpowered at all --- maybe i'm playing wrong, but there are never THAT many spells on the stack in my games - for cost and damage, this seems great design and balance

EDIT = not trying to infringe on next poster's right to critique and argue it is overpowered --- but won't be back online for like 12 hours and wanted to respond to this before heading out
I've never liked cards that mess with the stack too much, but this is fine, the flavor text is a bit weak 8/10

One more time:

Sarkor, the Righteous One
Vigilance, lifelink
When ~ enters the battlefield you may gain 5 life and/or you may exile target creature

4/6
A path he makes of hope and truth
those personality things
I am White/Black

quotes
56778328 wrote:
What flavor text do you suggest?

8.5/10: I feel that the p/t is a bit overpowered. A 4/6 vigilance/lifelink with a great one-use ability for only 5 mana is too much, even at mythic rare. I would say 3/6 or 3/5. Also the wording should be "When ~ enters the battlefield, choose one or both--you gain 5 life, and/or exile target creature"

Misty Outpost
Land (uncommon)
: Add 1 to your mana pool.
, : Target creature gets +0/+X and gains shroud and lifelink until end of turn.

~ You Take to the Sky ~

57325798 wrote:
As for the flavor text: what do you think of The swirl of the mist, the hoots of the owls, the clash of the mages it's a little odd, but I like it....

Misty outpost: 9.5/10 great design, belongs at rare

Razaa, the Intuitive One

~ is unblockable, flash
When ~ enters the battlefield, target player draws three cards

3/3
A path he takes of guile and wit

I toned it down a little...thoughts?

EDIT: oops, its in the sprit cycle
those personality things
I am White/Black

quotes
56778328 wrote:
8/10 great design. I would still argue that it is overpowered. three cards for 5 mana, with an additional great creature. Maybe remove the unblockable part? i don't see why it would be unblockable. What is the creature type?

Thanks for the flavor text. how about adding an ending: The swirl of the wind, the hoots of the owls, the clash of the mages—The boom of the mist!

Rainbow Emerald
Artifact (Uncommon)
Spend colored mana only to cast Rainbow Emerald.
Multicolored spells cost 1 less to cast.

~ You Take to the Sky ~

57325798 wrote:
no one around?

~ You Take to the Sky ~

57325798 wrote:
Rainbow Emerald = i like the idea - given that it's uncommon, and so versitile, should cost more - at least CMC 2 or some noticeable drawback in play//use = 8/10

Heartbreak
Enchantment - Aura (Common)
Enchant creature you control.
Whenever another creature you control dies, enchanted creature gets +3/+0 and ": This creature fights target creature" until end of turn.
When Heartbreak is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, return it to its owner's hand.
"The pain never ends.  It comes in bursts, and stabbing moments of fury, all the time."
Heartbreak: 9/10 i like the design. another is not necessarry here since if the enchanted creature dies, the ability would have no effect anyway. Maybe make it Morbid--Whenever a creature you control dies, enchanted creature gets +3/+0 and gains ": This creature fights target creature" until end of turn. I think the name might fit better if it has some flavor of vengeance in it. You don't fight back when you are heartbreaking, you fight back when you seek vengeance.

Fog of Storm
Land (uncommon)
: Add 1 to your mana pool.
, , exile two cards from your graveyard: Counter target spell.

~ You Take to the Sky ~

57325798 wrote:
waiting for people to join in...

~ You Take to the Sky ~

57325798 wrote:
awaiting cards...

~ You Take to the Sky ~

57325798 wrote:
Fog of Storm = it's a nice design, and seems reasonably balanced - i know i nitpick on your names, but, again, the name doesn't sound like a land - i see ow the name plays in with the countering, and the graveyard removal does work with that --- but "fog of storm" wouldn't make me think land in any way --- 8.5/10

Myr Poppit
Artifact Creature - Myr Construct (Common)
Cast ~ only if you control a Myr.
Whenever all creatures you control share the name Myr Poppit, sacrifice all creatures you control.
The play-things of play-things.
0/1

-- i don't think wording on second part came out right, but am having a hard time fixing it
Interesting.... Would be great in a myr tribal deck, but weak otherwise compared to Memnite. The wording is kind of wierd... I don't think the first part is needed. I see you balanced it by making it common, and the fact that a few powerful cards that interact with myr is still in standard makes this card good. 9/10. What do you suggest as the name?

Starpower
Instant (uncommon)
Split Second
Counter target spell.
“Do not underestimate the power of the stars.”

~ You Take to the Sky ~

57325798 wrote:
That's pretty straightforward: a split second counterspell. Works. I might cost it , but is probably fine as well.

Begone

Sorcery [c]

Put target creature on top of its owner's library, then that player shuffles his or her library.
I have too many irons in the fire.
Some useful keyboard shortcuts on Windows
Long dash (em-dash) — Alt+0151 Short dash (en-dash) – Alt+0150 Capital æsc Æ Alt+0198 Lowercase æsc æ Alt+0230 Or you could just copy/paste them from this signature, I guess.
i thinked about before, but i though would be fine.

Be Gone-- 8.5/10 Great design, might be a bit overpowered since it is common. Compared to Banishing Decree. Either make it uncommon, or make it cost a bit more.

Flame Ball
Instant (uncommon)
~ deals 1 damage to target creature and 1 damage to another target creature.
Flashback

~ You Take to the Sky ~

57325798 wrote:
Nice design.

Æthereal Balance 
Enchantment [r]

Each spell costs more to cast if its controller controls more permanents than you.
Long dash (em-dash) — Alt+0151 Short dash (en-dash) – Alt+0150 Capital æsc Æ Alt+0198 Lowercase æsc æ Alt+0230 Or you could just copy/paste them from this signature, I guess.
Great design. It has the same CMC as mine card though. Also, it should also somewhat not-so benifit you, like if its controller controls more permanents than the player who controls the lowest number of permanents. If you like what it is now, make it cost or

Ring of Flame
Artifact - Equippment (Uncommon)
Equipped creature gains haste and must attack each turn if able.
When equipped creature dies, Ring of Flame deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
: Equipped creature get +1/+0 until end of turn.
Equip
“Flame of hatred, flame of power, flame of desire, flame of revenge.”

~ You Take to the Sky ~

57325798 wrote:
D'oh! Totally forgot to check the CMC. Fixed (in such a way as to not force you to change CMC too).

Huh. There's a lot going on with this card. I think it's... probably balanced? Hard to tell.

Rotting Wurm 
Creature — Zombie Wurm [c]

Trample, intimidate

7/2
Rotting Wurm = this is over-powered at common -- trample and intimidate are weird together (try to make it unblockable, but make the damage go through even if it is blocked), but that's less my pet-peeve and more one i've encountered from so many other people critiquing -- but, anyway, even without intimidate, a 7/2 trample for cmc 6 is pretty awesome - giving it yet another ability, with a good likelihood of making it an unblockable 7 power for cmc 6.. you simply cannot run that as common = 6/10

Breaking Dawn
Sorcery (Rare)
Tap all zombies, vampires, and werewolves.
There is yet light in Innistrad.
yeah, i went back and forth on that card about its balance. i think it is ok.

interesting... a rotten Golgari Rotwurm? cost 1 more, +2/-2, with great static abilities for a common over a weak activate ability. i guess its overpowered, a 6/1 would probably fit batter, remember that it is common.

Save the Dream
Instant (Uncommon)
As an additional cost to cast Save the Dream, exile a card from your hand.
Return target card from exile to your hand.

Ah Koridian, you ninja'd me!

7.5/10: underpowered. A rare 3 CMC sorcery that only tap a limitted number of creatures? Sleep is only 1 mana more and look how much it can do at uncommon. And Blind Light. Maybe make it exile, and make it cost more, like or something.

Fireball Igniter
Enchantment (Uncommon)
Fireball Igniter enters the battlefield with X burning counter on it.
Whenever you are dealt noncombat damage, you may remove a burning counter on Fireball Igniter and pay XYR, where X is equal to the number of burning counters on Fireball Igniter. If you do, Fireball Igniter deals X damage divided evenly, rounded down, among any number of up to one plus Y target creatures and/or players.

~ You Take to the Sky ~

57325798 wrote:
I think I see what you're trying to do there, but I don't think it's working very well. I'd say "any number" rather than "X" in the first ability, since X is unrestricted in this case. The counting down is unnecessary additional complication, and making Y a thing again is probably best not done. This card certainly isn't uncommon. XX/L

Divine Retribution 
Sorcery [r]

Destroy all creatures.
Draw a card. 
Damned Redemption
Instant [m]
Discard your hand. 
Return all creatures from all graveyards onto the battefield under your control until end of turn. Those creatures have haste and trample. (At the end of your turn, those creatures return to their owners' graveyards.)

"I am the Ghoulcaller!"
It's supposed to be a different CMC as well as everything else. (It's an easy mistake.)

Usually unearth-like effects exile the things afterwards. Is it intentional that any creatures in your hand will come out from this? In any case, I think this is way too strong.

Illusion // Reality (split card)

Illusion

Sorcery [r]

You may put a permanent card from your hand onto the battlefield. Sacrifice it at the beginning of the next end step.

Reality 
Sorcery [r]

Return a permanent card at random from your graveyard to the battlefield.
Sign In to post comments