card flipping

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok, so I've played at FNM enough and watched stuff like this to see the guys that are constantly flipping the cards in their hand like a horriffic case of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Why do they do this??

Check out my FREE Firefox addon: Send To Gatherer

It will send any text you highlight on any Web page to the Gatherer and open it in a popup over the current page, a new tab, or new window.

My favorite rule: 101.2

You do realize that the vieo you linked to is over an hour long?

Some people reerranger thier hands to throw players off. If you are constantly moving your cards, it's hard for an opponent to keep tabs on it.

Some people also do it to help them think. It's one of the few physical actions you can do while still being involved in the game.

It might also be boredom.
… and then, the squirrels came.
Its just a habit many (read most) competitive people acquire. They do it for a variety of reasons - to keep their opponent's guessing about where particular cards are in your hand, which cards you're obsessing over (if you have a hand with 2 land and a good card, you want to fool your opponent into thinking you have 3 good cards), something to do with your hands to think (moving makes you think better, its why some people also shake their legs), it can be distracting, etc. 

I've never liked the habit since it tends to wear cards out faster than if you were just holding them.

In my experience, the best counter to card-flickers is an absolute disinterested pokerface.  To the guy constantly shuffling his hand, a guy across the table who seems like he couldn't care less to be there is an instant concentration-breaker.

When the other guy is taking it a bit too seriously, just stop giving a damn (or at least appear to do so).
Qmark, I have had very similar experiances.    I think some of them think they are some how playing the "mind game"  or something.   There are (or were, its been a while) some guys who would do it louder or faster on your turn.  

My personal competitve style is to be cold and steady, and I tend to stare right at my opp when its not my turn,  this seem to drive one of them in particular nuts.

Ween to busy with work and family in the last couple years to make it to Misty mnt. to play legacy though.  Its actually changed its name to Legion games now i believe.   When i get to compete, I can really only make it to local limited events.
:For autocarding, write [ c ] card name [ / c ] You can also do [*c=lightning bolt]'Bolt[/c*] to get 'Bolt sigged because I always forget to do it
Stop That was made for a reason.

I dream of Beer Head Armies.

Autocard is our friend. [c‍]Urborg Mindsucker[/‍c] → Urborg Mindsucker

Mate of mine was doing that to me in a game a few days ago. I asked him what's the deal, heh. Tournaments made him crazy, I figure. Multiplayer Commander casual is the only way for me
(°_°)

(°_°)

(°_°)

ノ(°_°ノ)

(
°□°)

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
In my experience, the best counter to card-flickers is an absolute disinterested pokerface.  To the guy constantly shuffling his hand, a guy across the table who seems like he couldn't care less to be there is an instant concentration-breaker.

When the other guy is taking it a bit too seriously, just stop giving a damn (or at least appear to do so).

In my experience, another great method of dealing with "takes things too seriously" types is to sit there and talk, incessantly. Talk about how you like the art of his cards, how you like the backstory for this or that guy, talk about how you enjoy the fluff made for particular expansions, talk about how you liked the card frames for transforming cards... Just talk. Constantly.

Eventually they either get annoyed and stop their flicking or talk back thereby allowing both of you to have more fun.
It is a strategic advantage to frequently rearrange the cards in your hand. An observant opponent may start making hypotheses about your hand conents, and, as you draw additional cards, watch if you played the same card you just drew, or a card you have held onto for a while.

Of course, some players can take this to an extreme...
I thought this was going to be about flipping cards

<----- Loser.

The thing that I guess gets me, is you can easily rearange your hand with out that flicking sound.  and the fact that they do it constantly.  It makes it more like a nervous tick then anything to keep your opponent from guessing at your hand.
:For autocarding, write [ c ] card name [ / c ] You can also do [*c=lightning bolt]'Bolt[/c*] to get 'Bolt sigged because I always forget to do it
The point in the video I linked to in the original message where you can really see it (and where it became annoying enough for me to start this thread) is here. These guys look like two OCD patients that need immediate medical attention.

I like the responses that said to look like you couldn't care less, or to just ignore them, or to talk incessantly (hilarious!). I tend to do all of those. ;)

Check out my FREE Firefox addon: Send To Gatherer

It will send any text you highlight on any Web page to the Gatherer and open it in a popup over the current page, a new tab, or new window.

My favorite rule: 101.2

I do it sometimes without thinking about it. One time I caught myself shuffing the cards in my hand and I thought to myself "why am I doing this it's not like the bad cards are going to change."
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!

I have a giant version of that card!

I think I got it at a YuGiOh tournament that was being played in the same convention hall as a Magic Tournament.

It must flip like a coin and not like a frisbee.

Anyway, this is the best video on the whole Internet about card shuffling. Watch it!
It is a strategic advantage to frequently rearrange the cards in your hand. An observant opponent may start making hypotheses about your hand conents, and, as you draw additional cards, watch if you played the same card you just drew, or a card you have held onto for a while.

You can rearange your hand in one second, after a play, and be done with it.  Anything else is an annoying affectation that magic players seem to think is cool tech.  I often put my hand face down on the table (somewhere obvious so as not to mix it up with other zones) when I am not using it.  I know what is in my hand, holding it and flicking it will not make me any more or less likely to have the answer I want.  A calm, straightfaced, controled playstyle makes me less likely to make play mistakes.  Most people probably think that they are playing mind games or bluffing their opponnt by nervously flipping, that a serious situation requires a tense and anxious play style, but not me.  When other people do it I just ignore them as best I can.  I once asked on player "do you need to pee, or take yout Ritalin?"  He looked at me confused and no.

It is not cool, it is not gamesmanship, it is not tech, it is ****ery and it is making you look like a dork.

Anyway, this is the best video on the whole Internet about card shuffling. Watch it!

I was going to link that too if nobody else was going to (although it's only the best shuffling video for Magic, imo. Youtube XCM for standard card shuffling shenanigans).

To me it's all about the rhythm. When I need to make an intense decision, then shuffling the cards in my hand helps me keep focused, for whatever reason. I couldn't care less about trying to keep my opponent on their toes, since my poker face is more than adequate for those purposes.

You can rearange your hand in one second, after a play, and be done with it.  Anything else is an annoying affectation that magic players seem to think is cool tech.  I often put my hand face down on the table (somewhere obvious so as not to mix it up with other zones) when I am not using it.  I know what is in my hand, holding it and flicking it will not make me any more or less likely to have the answer I want.  A calm, straightfaced, controled playstyle makes me less likely to make play mistakes.  Most people probably think that they are playing mind games or bluffing their opponnt by nervously flipping, that a serious situation requires a tense and anxious play style, but not me.  When other people do it I just ignore them as best I can.  I once asked on player "do you need to pee, or take yout Ritalin?"  He looked at me confused and no.

It is not cool, it is not gamesmanship, it is not tech, it is ****ery and it is making you look like a dork.

Agreed.  I tend to shuffle my hand once per turn, especially if I'm mana-flooded.  I like to play as others suggested, calmly and almost with a sense of detachment.  Not only do I not rely on non-strategies like flicking or incessant shuffliing, but I don't like rubbing my victory in my opponent's face, or vice versa.  All too often, some players (especially at FNM) forget about sportsmanship, and how it impacts the playing environment. 

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

Fixed.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

I have a giant version of that card!

I think I got it at a YuGiOh tournament that was being played in the same convention hall as a Magic Tournament.

I was building a deck of giant cards just for my 2 chaos orbs, I gave up when I got sober and realized no one was going to play against it.

<----- Loser.

I have no clue what everyone means by card flipping, but I do shuffle my cards a lot. I'm not really sure why, but i know that i can't stop.

I got hyped up on caffene for 2 days, that's when i started the shuffle thing. It annoys the hell out of me.

...hm... feels like an AA meeting. 
Its going to eat me!
Quotes and such
57044478 wrote:
57311168 wrote:
What happens if there's a tie for first?
Monkey knife fight
I do it just out of habit. I don't know how I started it though. I do it with every card game that requires me to have cards in my hand. Shoot, even in Go Fish I do it. :P 
I think people watch coverage of people who flick their cards, which trickles down to the players at the LGS who flick their cards, then everybody is flicking their cards.

Its kinda like middle-schoolers imitating their favorite basketball star, except on a completely different nerd level. If people see "good" players flicking their cards on internet coverage they will want to be like the "good" players and therefore pick up some of their habits. Including card flicking.

I remember hearing a story once about a famous cross country runner who used to wipe his legs off after a run. Everyone started doing it thinking it was one of his routines or tricks when in reality he had to pee during the run and just ran right through it. So he had to wipe off his legs afterward. (a high school track coach told us that story, not sure if its true; has anyone else heard it)

People imitate others all the time without actually thinking about it. Probably the case with card flicking.

It drives me crazy though...

"There are some who call me...Tim?" Go Duke! I apologize for my lack of grammar, spelling, and coherence in my posts. Former Member: Team ABS

I am knowledgable about non-rotating formats. I usually have no idea about Standard.

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/

Sign In to post comments