Thread of Vile Spoilers of Blackness

170 posts / 0 new
Last post
By the numbers!

In the Dungeon Master's Book we get:
 8 Vile Terrains (including Hellfire!)
 6 Curses (including Werewolf Lycanthropy!)
 6 Diseases (including Scarlet Fever, I mean, Plague)
 9 Traps and Hazards (including "Far Realm Anomaly" which has 20 possible mutations it can inflict, some of which are beneficial!)
 6 Vile Monster themes (including Slave To The Nine Hells, which has particular variants for each of the layers)
 13 Monsters
 4 Cursed Items
 9 Divine Boons
 8 Sinister Items (Rares and Uncommons, not cursed, but considered "dark")
 1 Artifact
 4 Encounters

In the Player's Book we get:
 5 Themes (no class, alignment, or race requirements)
 5 Paragon Paths (all require evil alignment except Demonologist)
 1 Epic Destiny - the Exemplar of Evil
 8 Channel Divinity Feats for the Evil deities (Asmodeus, Bane, Gruumsh, Lolth, Tiamat, Torog, Vecna, and Zehir) (Oddly enough, none of these require evil alignment, just that you worship the appropriate deity)
 10 general Feats, with no evil prerequisites [One of my only complaints with the book is that the feats are presented Essentials/Heroes of Shadow style, rather than table format we saw in Heroes of the Feywild]
Are any of the general feats interesting? Or the PPs? From what we saw of the Demonologist, I don't have my hopes up
Are any of the general feats interesting? Or the PPs? From what we saw of the Demonologist, I don't have my hopes up

Here's an alternative to a feat we already know and love.

Wicked Defiance
Your twisted mind proves agile against attacks that target your thoughts.
Prerequisite: Wisdom 15 or Charisma 15
Benefit: You gain a +2 feat bonus to Will. This bonus increases to +3 at 11th level and +4 at 21st level.
 In addition, whenever an enemy targets you with an attack against Will, you can take 5 damage (10 damage at 11th level and 15 damage at 21st level) as an immediate itnerrupt to change the target to an ally adjacent to you. You cannot reduce this damage in any way.

Druids get the return of the Vermin Lord, benefiting druids in the front lines, giving poison resistance, a fly speed after using primal encounter or daily powers, and a daily polymorph power transforming into a vermin swarm with a fun at-will power.
Well, that's pretty much strictly worse and encourages bad tactics. How exciting.

You're evil, you're not supposed to care about teamwork or allies.  Screwing your teammates is why you exist.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Can you spoil Exemplar of Evil ED? The evil Kenku Assassin in my campaign is looking for an ED that fits him.
Well, that's pretty much strictly worse and encourages bad tactics. How exciting.

For a wizard or warlock (especially with Cursed Shot) standing next to their heavily armored Defender, a token piece of damage for transferring an attack vs AC to someone it would likely miss seems solid.

Forgot about targeting Will.
Trade-off works the other way around then, especially as Defenders will better be able to afford the payment cost.

Here's something for the Alpha Strikers:

Disciple of War
Bane expects his followers to perfect their talent for warfare, and your dedication keeps you focused on dominating the battlefield.
Prerequisite: Strength 13
Benefit: During your first turn in every encounter, you gain a +1 bonus to your first weapon attack roll, and the first creature you hit that turn takes 2 extra damage. Increase the extra damage to 3 at 11th level and 4 at 21st level.

Can you spoil Exemplar of Evil ED? The evil Kenku Assassin in my campaign is looking for an ED that fits him.

Demigod/Chosen ability score boosts, turn the squares (plus adjacent) of creatures you drop into an attack penalty and CA granting zone, a daily rez utility with some repositioning but is otherwise bland, and a daily capstone that lets you damage an enemy equal to their bloodied value to turn an at-will or encounter hit into a critical hit.

For a wizard or warlock (especially with Cursed Shot) standing next to their heavily armored Defender, a token piece of damage for transferring an attack vs AC to someone it would likely miss seems solid.

Except that the attack has to target Will and you just took a feat that increases your Will.
It doesn't work on attacks vs. AC, just attacks vs. Will. The category of people who legally can take the feat but would ever want to use it is ridiculously miniscule even if it had no additional drawbacks.

Right. Edited.
Thank you very much for the spoilers! I'm guessing some of the other general feats are also "Disciple of X". Are any of the other ones interesting?
A big thanks for spoiling the ED. I will pass on the post to the player and see if he if that interests him.
 I could see a morally bankrupt Paladin using this to trigger both Divine Challenge and an allied Darkspiral Aura maybe, but that seems a lot of work for not a particularly spectacular payout.
Thank you very much for the spoilers! I'm guessing some of the other general feats are also "Disciple of X". Are any of the other ones interesting?

I like Disciple of War, which I already mentioned.

Disciple of Destruction
Gruumsh urges his followers to revel in the slaughter, to wage eternal war until nothing remains. You can call on this destructive compulsion to punish injured enemies.
Prerequisite: Strength 13
Benefit: Whenever you bloody an enemy with an attack, that enemy takes 5 extra damage.

Would be nicer if it scaled, but my Executioner is glad for anything that improves the odds of bringing remaining HP within Death Attack parameters.

I could see a morally bankrupt Paladin using this to trigger both Divine Challenge and an allied Darkspiral Aura maybe, but that seems a lot of work for not a particularly spectacular payout.

And as soon as the DM knows this combo will happen, he's not going to bother attacking the Paladin and instead will waylay on the Warlock, as he'll only incur the Divine Challenge punishment instead of both the Challenge and the Aura.

And as soon as the DM knows this combo will happen, he's not going to bother attacking the Paladin and instead will waylay on the Warlock, as he'll only incur the Divine Challenge punishment instead of both the Challenge and the Aura.

Darkspiral Aura happens when an enemy hits you, so all the DM is doing there is saving 5 damage to the paladin.

"I am the seeker, I am the stalker, I am the walrus"
How are the themes looking?
Re: Wicked Defiance. Tons of optimization potential here.

Paladin/Hospitaler with Weakening Challenge still comes out ahead on that trade, I think. As might a Swordmage/Sigil Carver.

You can also use it to get out of an AoE that would have targetted your buddy anyway. It's also a way for a class traditionally poor in Will defense to dump that defense and ensure that will-targetting attacks go for him with much less frequency.

Keep in mind you're redirecting a roll, not a confirmed hit. Depending on whether the roll is a known value at point of redirection, it could just be a free dodge for 5 damage.

Here's an alternative to a feat we already know and love.

Wicked Defiance
Benefit: You gain a +2 feat bonus to Will. This bonus increases to +3 at 11th level and +4 at 21st level.
 In addition, whenever an enemy targets you with an attack against Will, you can take 5 damage (10 damage at 11th level and 15 damage at 21st level) as an immediate itnerrupt to change the target to an ally adjacent to you. You cannot reduce this damage in any way.

Druids get the return of the Vermin Lord, benefiting druids in the front lines, giving poison resistance, a fly speed after using primal encounter or daily powers, and a daily polymorph power transforming into a vermin swarm with a fun at-will power.

Gah.

This is exactly the kind of crap I was dreading from the BoVD.

Seriously, if the whole book is this juvenile and stupid (which I'm betting it is), I don't think I'm even going to want to be in the same room as a copy.

Evil characters do NOT HAVE TO BE UTTER PRICKS TO EACH OTHER ALL THE DAMN TIME.

That will be all.

It's not even good design - that's a dreadful, DREADFUL use of an Immediate action.  So it's not just screwing over the ally, it's screwing over yourself as well.

I really, really would have expected better of Schwalb.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Wicked Defiance

I guess we've found a use for the Demonologist PP. Might be interesting with a fey beast. (Or familiar? Do those count as allies?)
You don't "get out of" the AoE, you just make it attack your ally twice. This is a worse situation for damage attacks, and while it may be a better situation for control-heavy attacks this is more than offset by the fact that if you didn't have the feat and spread out you'd be less likely to all be subject to that AoE in the first place.

Also, it doesn't work for Swordmages because it eats your Interrupt, and it arguably doesn't work for Paladins either because of the timing involved.

It does work on Paladin marks, but the ability must be used before the enemy rolls their attack.

Sigil Carver basically forces you to to be adjacent to your allies, and has an additional mark punishment mechanism via OAs, I believe. The aura-based defenders also can work off of this since their stuff is OA-based.

Also, Beastmaster Ranger/Sharpshooter or Vadalis Griffinmaster (free OA!), or any mounted character using Impenetrable Barding could spin some use out of it.

No arguments that it pales in comparison to Superior Will, considering the opportunity cost of Superior Will's benefit, but it has a niche use.

How are the themes looking?

Cultist - Entry enc power is a gamble on whether or not you hit (extra damage plus temps, or CA and deafened UEOYNT). Reccomended only for alpha strikers with high accuracy, and even then there's probably better themes.
Disgraced Noble - Warlords and SK-locks may like the encounter power. Lacks keywords to help with accuracy, but even on a miss it grants an MBA, and prones on a hit. Bluff and Streetwise optimizers will like this theme.
Infernal Slave - Another gamble encounter power, but just taking the same extra damage you would have dealt is less intimidating than the deaf and CA. Successes also include a slide 5 for the target. The level 10 daily utility can get you a recharge of an encounter power.
Reaver - A no-action triggered on a hit Encounter power is always attractive, and this one deals extra damage to those adjacent to the target, and enemies within 2 plus you grant CA. The level 10 feature makes this power grant temp hp as well, and the level 5 feature rewards youf or dropping non-minions.
Vile Scholar - An absolutely delightful encounter power that targets all three NADS, and has the implement keyword! The level 10 feature is like an upgraded Coordinated Explosion. (I wouldn't take it without War Wizardry to complement it though, as you'll be getting pretty strong bonuses against your own allies at that point :X )

Wicked Defiance

I guess we've found a use for the Demonologist PP. Might be interesting with a fey beast. (Or familiar? Do those count as allies?)

I couldn't find it written anywhere in the familiar entry that they count as allies, so by RAW they don't (unless I skimmed over it somehow, though I'm sure someone will correct me if I did).  But yeah, the only builds that will find this feat even remotely useful are Fey Beast Tamers, Sentinels, possibly Beastmaster Rangers, and Thrallherds.  I guess Demonologists as well, but they're so terrible that I can't recommend anyone taking that PP in the first place :P

So far this isn't encouraging.  Oh well, the only way I would have been pursuaded to buy this anyways was if the content was really spectacular (BoVD isn't really my style).
Turning your owlbear into a walking garbage bin for will-targetting attacks seems like a fair deal, provided you don't have many competing immediate action powers. Superior Will still gives you a good chance of being affected by the power on your next turn (you can fail the save), doesn't redirect damage, and doesn't work on each type of will-targetting effect iirc. On the flip side, getting dazed/surprised/whatnot doesn't turn off the benefit.

I couldn't find any text claiming a familiar is an ally either, so I guess we're short on luck on that one.

The Reaver and Vile Scholar themes sound like they could be fun.
Attacks versus will fequently stun or daze. Sending a stun on an already stunned ally is good tactics. It's especially good for those bring their own ally with them. I know my sentinal will think strongly about this feat.
Wow and I called HOS th Book of Vile Design.
Wow, there's quite a bit less player content than I expected.  But I probably wouldn't have used it anyway, so I guess it's no big loss.  I'm hoping the next book is more up my alley.
By the numbers!

9 Traps and Hazards (including "Far Realm Anomaly" which has 20 possible mutations it can inflict, some of which are beneficial!)
 6 Vile Monster themes (including Slave To The Nine Hells, which has particular variants for each of the layers)
 13 Monsters
 14 Cursed Items
 1 Artifact
 4 Encounters

8 Channel Divinity Feats for the Evil deities (Asmodeus, Bane, Gruumsh, Lolth, Tiamat, Torog, Vecna, and Zehir) (Oddly enough, none of these require evil alignment, just that you worship the appropriate deity)
 10 general Feats, with no evil prerequisites [One of my only complaints with the book is that the feats are presented Essentials/Heroes of Shadow style, rather than table format we saw in Heroes of the Feywild]

No partridge?
By the numbers!

13 Monsters
 14 Cursed Items
 1 Artifact
 4 Encounters

No partridge?

Sorry AtG, your partridge is in another pear tree.

Oh Content, where art thou?
So a few of the Disciple of ____ feats might be worth it to specific builds. Disciple of War could be good on an alpha striker and Disciple of Destruction has it's place in some builds. Boht are interesting, but nothing particularly spectacular. I am at least intrigued to see the rest of the feats and the full discosure of the themes.
How're the Channel Divinity feats? In particular, can you share the secret of what the Vecna one does?
What's the cultist a cultist of, aka what does the theme worship, does it have the divine keyword? What's the Idol of Darkness do?
How're the Channel Divinity feats? In particular, can you share the secret of what the Vecna one does?

Vecna's Final Command
You hold death back to allow the dying one final attack.
Encounter * Channel DIvinity, Divine
Immediate Interrupt     Close burst 5
Trigger: A creature within 5 squares of you drops below 1 hit point.
Target: The triggering creature in the burst
Effect: The target makes a basic attack against a creature you choose.
Special: You can use only one channel divinity power per encounter.

Interesting that you could actually use this on an enemy creature. Particularly fun if you can have a dieing Brute take a swing on the Controller it was guarding. :D The versatility of basic attack options is very nice too.

So a few of the Disciple of ____ feats might be worth it to specific builds. Disciple of War could be good on an alpha striker and Disciple of Destruction has it's place in some builds. Boht are interesting, but nothing particularly spectacular. I am at least intrigued to see the rest of the feats and the full discosure of the themes.

Here's a non-divinity, non-disciple feat that isn't Wicked Defiance.

Betrayal of Body
Taking advantage of your ally, you shed an affliction and bestow it on him or her.
Benefit: While you are suffering ongoing damage that lacks a type, you can transfer the ongoing damage to one ally adjacent to you as a free action. If you do so, the ongoing damage increases by 5.

Corner case usage, but interesting nonetheless.
The corner case being, I assume, "I have an ally who is immune to this type of damage", because there really isn't another one where that's not a terrible deal.

Wow, this book is awful.
I like that you can use RBAs with Vecna's Final Command. Makes it usable even when the target has no adjacent creatures.

Betrayal of Body seems like an utter waste of a feat. If it included typed ongoing damage, its use would still be far too narrow. Just grab Superior Fortitude instead and twirl your moustache as a free action.
This book should have been the game store exclusive, not MME.  Seriously, does this book come in two-ply?
CORE MORE, NOT CORE BORE!
I dunno... How's the DM book? Specifically, can you poil some of the terrains?
The corner case being, I assume, "I have an ally who is immune to this type of damage", because there really isn't another one where that's not a terrible deal.

Wow, this book is awful.

What, you don't see the infinite loop?

Two PCs with this feat, one of whom has a Weapon of Transference. You transfer it back and forth between one another, increasing the ongoing damage each time, then attack the enemy. Infinite ongoing damage. (It runs afoul of the "DM can limit free actions" rule, but that's true of most infinite loops).

More seriously, it's also beneficial when you are giving over ongoing damage to someone who is already taking ongoing damage, or by bouncing it between PCs so that neither of them take the (increasingly large) ongoing damage. If you're using this method, you need someone else to grant saving throws (through Heal checks, if nothing else).

Two PCs with this feat, one of whom has a Weapon of Transference. You transfer it back and forth between one another, increasing the ongoing damage each time, then attack the enemy. Infinite ongoing damage. (It runs afoul of the "DM can limit free actions" rule, but that's true of most infinite loops).

Then you miss, and die instantly.  Good work ;P
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Then you miss, and die instantly.  Good work ;P

Actually, you'd get a saving throw at the end of your turn like any other ongoing damage. If you fail that saving throw, you should still have your ally next to you. Transfer the damage to him/her after the start of his or her turn, and there's another chance to make a saving throw without anyone taking damage. You only run the risk of dying instantly if you get moved away from your ally with Betrayal of Body.

Heh.

It's a very sneaky edge case, but it is quite fun.  But yeah, you'd still be better off just... taking Superior Fortitude and not doing this sort of dumb stuff.
Vecna's final command on death's gatekeeper with a iron wolf minitaur ally. 3 attacks if you drop him below 0.

Also woth noting that if you change targets of an attack, and the new target is out of range, the attack fails. Still it would take teamwork to pull it off effectivly. Also, rapid challenge could increase it's usefulness.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Oh, and there's something that makes ongoing into regen.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.