Creating characters higher than lvl 1

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi,

I seem to have forgotten what the general rules are when creating character higher than lvl 1. I know that somewhere there is a guideline (I cant remember if it's in a book or on the forums)

So that being as it is, what are the general rules. I know about leveling them and I could just go from lvl 1 and go to the level I want with the powers and numbers and stuff, but I am having a really hard time with items. At lvl 1 you are basically stuck with armor, weapon and adventurers kit.

What are the guidelines for how much money you have at any given level? Or what items you can have at a given level? Thanks to anyone who can help me, its driving me nuts not being able to remember this stuff
It's in the DMG, but I'm not sure of the page.  You get an item of your level+1, an item of your level, and an item of your level -1.  Also, you get gold equal to the value of an item of your level -1.

So, for instance, if making an 8th level character, you get items of L9, L8, and L7, and gold equal to the value of a L7 item.  You also can take any mundane adventuring equipment without cost.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Also, IIRC, that gold can be used to purchase any magic item your DM will allow, but check the DMG and your DM to be sure. 

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

That gold is expected to be used up for extra gear, such as additional items, rituals, consumables and the like. Adventurers wouldn't be running around with that much money most of the time.

That said you might want to check with your DM about his exact rules, especially if you are using item rarity. Those rules haven't been updated to work with rarity as far as I know.
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
Sweet, thanks guys. I knew I had seen it somewhere. Time to look through the DM guide
DMG page 143.

Edit: Yes, I do read my books way too much.
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]
one cautionary note: if you're using this for bringing an up-leveled PC into an existing campaign that started from 1, the rules are a little too generous around level 2-3 range. A fresh level 2 walking into a campain that just hit level 2 and has one level worth of bundles (or equivalent) split 5 ways will easily have more gear than any other PC. For those levels I'd recommend dropping the new PC to 1 magic item at level 2, two at level 3, maybe keep starting gold to the base 100gp for level 2-4 PCs.
At higher levels, it's not an issue, and if you don't pare back as I suggest it will probably be fine in the long run. 
Additionally A DM may choose to be more or less generous dependent on style of campaign ... so ask your DM. I sometimes let you start with as high as a level +4 item.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Additionally A DM may choose to be more or less generous dependent on style of campaign ... so ask your DM. I sometimes let you start with as high as a level +4 item.

Yeah, it's very campaign dependant. >_> I actually ended up losing all my interest in a campaign I was DMing in part because after a TPK the players all came back with fresh characters with full sets of +1 items at level 2, when I had been subtly planning to make all their loot utility/non-combat focused such that they would have a hard time getting enhancement bonuses without eventually crafting. It was supposed to a be a significant flavor point to emphasize the setting.
It wasn't the only reason I stopped, more of it was life interfering and cost of gas, etc. And I probably could/should have headed things off at the pass before people just assumed standard level 1/2/3 items was kosher. 
Sign In to post comments