12/12/2011 Draft Simulator

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Draft Simulator, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.

deck
creatures (11):
warpath ghoul
child of night x2
belltower sphinx
duskhunter bat x2
aven fleetwing
gravedigger
drifting shade
blood seeker
aether adept 

other spells (12):
mind control x2
doom blade
mana leak
wring flesh x2
jace, memory adept
sorin's thirst
negate
unsummon x2
ice cage

land (17):
swamp x8
island x9

seems like a pretty fun u/b aggro deck. jace was very nice, but p2 was so good. o_o 

not sure why spoiler tags aren't working... 

Round 1:
Thran Golem
Doom Blade
Assault Griffin
Consume Spirit
Warpath Ghoul
Griffin Rider
Duskhunter Bat
Hideous Visage
Wring Flesh
Sorin's Thirst
Plains
Brink of Disaster
Reverberate
Flight
Forest

Round 2:
Doom Blade
Manalith
Peregrine Griffin
Greatsword
Siege Mastodon
Angel's Mercy
Gideon's Avenger
Griffin Rider
Swamp
Tormented Soul
Plains
Mighty Leap
Swamp
Plains
Island

Round 3:
Phantasmal Dragon
Warpath Ghoul
Zombie Goliath
Drifting Shade
Swamp
Timely Reinforcements
Wring Flesh
Duskhunter Bat
Stave Off
Fiery Hellhound
Goblin Tunneler
Demystify
Taste of Blood
Tormented Soul
Island

Round 1:
Mind Control
Doom Blade
Duskhunter Bat
Chasm Drake
Blood Seeker
Bloodrage Vampire
Ice Cage
Duskhunter Bat
Wring Flesh
Aven Fleetwing
Distress
Brink of Disaster
Flight
Flight
Forest

Round 2:
Jace, Memory Adept
Unsummon
Blood Seeker
Phantasmal Bear
Gravedigger
Bloodrage Vampire
Aether Adept
Ponder
Alluring Siren
Tormented Soul
Phantasmal Bear
Tormented Soul
Zombie Infestation
Bountiful Harvest
Island

Round 3:
Phantasmal Dragon
Mind Control
Zombie Goliath
Aether Adept
Taste of Blood
Bloodrage Vampire
Blood Seeker
Duskhunter Bat
Brink of Disaster
Duskhunter Bat
Gladecover Scout
Taste of Blood
Stave Off
Unsummon
Island

After figuring out my land split, I feel that I would have no problem at all going 3-0 in a draft with the U/B aggro deck you could make out of this. You get 7 good bloodthirst creatures, two Tormented Soul to make sure they get bloodthirst, card draw in Jace and Ponder, and plenty of removal and pseudo removal in Doom Blade, 2 Mind Control, Ice Cage, Unsummon, 2 Aether Adept, Wring Flesh, 2 Taste of Blood, and Brink of Disaster.

An incredible and effective balance of good creatures and the removal needed to push thrm through.
I think the draft was pretty good, though it's a real slow starter.

I would probably do
10 Swamp
7 Island

And doing an annoying control tactic until I get the big creatues out. Focused on Thran Golem/Phantasmal Dragon and maybe Harbor Serpent. The main problem is probably the slow start, which would have to be controlled as best possible with Doom Blade and Unsommon.

Another tactic would be a very defensive tactic centered around Jace. There should be a pretty good chance catching either Diabolic Tutor or Jace withing the first 5 rounds, and considering most player probably will only have 40 cards in the deck he is pretty devastating, as for just draining the opponents library.

How does this sound? I only started playing yesterday, so I don't know if it's way off.

Round 1:
Mind Control
Doom Blade
Distress
Child of Night
Warpath Ghoul
Bloodrage Vampire
Harbor Serpent
Duskhunter Bat
Ponder
Aven Fleetwing
Jace's Erasure
Brink of Disaster
Flight
Flight
Forest

Round 2:
Jace, Memory Adept
Manalith
Adaptive Automaton
Thran Golem
Amphin Cutthroat
Bloodrage Vampire
Drifting Shade
Ponder
Alluring Siren
Cancel
Phantasmal Bear
Tormented Soul
Zombie Infestation
Bountiful Harvest
Island

Round 3:
Phantasmal Dragon
Mind Control
Diabolic Tutor
Drifting Shade
Merfolk Mesmerist
Alluring Siren
Dark Favor
Harbor Serpent
Brink of Disaster
Duskhunter Bat
Coral Merfolk
Taste of Blood
Taste of Blood
Unsummon
Island

Round 1:
Archon of Justice
Doom Blade
Distress
Consume Spirit
Warpath Ghoul
Bloodrage Vampire
Duskhunter Bat
Duskhunter Bat
Wring Flesh
Dark Favor
Demystify
Brink of Disaster
Llanowar Elves
Flight
Forest

Round 2:
Jace, Memory Adept
Warpath Ghoul
Blood Seeker
Sorin's Thirst
Gideon's Lawkeeper
Timely Reinforcements
Tormented Soul
Ponder
Demystify
Tormented Soul
Phantasmal Bear
Tormented Soul
Zombie Infestation
Bountiful Harvest
Island

Round 3:
Brink of Disaster
Duskhunter Bat
Diabolic Tutor
Grand Abolisher
Stave Off
Tormented Soul
Dark Favor
Hideous Visage
Stave Off
Birds of Paradise
Pride Guardian
Taste of Blood
Taste of Blood
Unsummon
Island

I feel bad, in some ways, because I decided to pick Jace over the chance to get a Doom Blade. The "oo shiny" kid in me won out.

I like the cards I drafted but I don't think a deck made from them would be perfect. I'd probably go mostly black, a little white and maybe splash Blue so I could use Jace... Thinking about it, I might go for a bit more than a splash, given how in 3 turns he could practically win the game for me (7 cards initially +5 for turns = 12 + 3 uses of his 0 ability = 42 == Victory). I wouldn't rely on Jace, but he's good to have... Plus, thinking about it, I'm thankful I sniped him because the idea of someone else doing that to me, scares me.

I feel bad, in some ways, because I decided to pick Jace over the chance to get a Doom Blade. The "oo shiny" kid in me won out.

I like the cards I drafted but I don't think a deck made from them would be perfect. I'd probably go mostly black, a little white and maybe splash Blue so I could use Jace... Thinking about it, I might go for a bit more than a splash, given how in 3 turns he could practically win the game for me (7 cards initially +5 for turns = 12 + 3 uses of his 0 ability = 42 == Victory). I wouldn't rely on Jace, but he's good to have... Plus, thinking about it, I'm thankful I sniped him because the idea of someone else doing that to me, scares me.

You're completely underrating Jace in your comments here.  Sure you shouldn't rely on him to win, but if you do draw him, he is pretty much auto win.

Oh. My. G$#.  Two, read that, TWO Mind Controls, a Jace 3.0, and oh yes, 4 bears.  Blue is just BANANAS.  Black is awesome too, thinking about splashing red for reach, don't know if I'll need it though. 

Round 1:
Mind Control
Doom Blade
Elixir of Immortality
Incinerate
Blood Seeker
Child of Night
Ice Cage
Duskhunter Bat
Ponder
Aven Fleetwing
Distress
Lava Axe
Reverberate
Flight
Forest

Round 2:
Jace, Memory Adept
Manalith
Adaptive Automaton
Sorin's Thirst
Divination
Child of Night
Phantasmal Bear
Ponder
Alluring Siren
Cancel
Phantasmal Bear
Phantasmal Bear
Amphin Cutthroat
Bountiful Harvest
Island

Round 3:
Phantasmal Dragon
Mind Control
Ice Cage
Aether Adept
Reassembling Skeleton
Phantasmal Bear
Blood Seeker
Harbor Serpent
Doubling Chant
Duskhunter Bat
Goblin Tunneler
Demystify
Stave Off
Tormented Soul
Island

Creatures (15)

Non-Creatures (9)
[deck]
2x Ponder
1x Doom Blade
2x Ice Cage
1x Sorin's Thirst
1x Manalith
1x Lava Axe
1x Jace, Memory Adept
[/deck]

Lands (16)
[deck]
2x Mountain
9x Island
5x Swamp
[/deck]

Creatures (15)
1-4
2-4
3-2
4-3
5-2

Non-Creatures (9)
1-2
2-4
3-1
4-0
5-2

Total (24)
1-6
2-8
3-3
4-3
5-4

My curve is so disgustingly low (more than half my spells cost 2 or less mana and I cap out at 5 cmc) I'm pretty sure I can get away with just 16 lands.  Ended up keeping red for the axe for reach.  I think it's a good idea (shouldn't need the incinerate, but I can side it in if I want it).

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

You're completely underrating Jace in your comments here.  Sure you shouldn't rely on him to win, but if you do draw him, he is pretty much auto win.

You're probably right. I've never had the luxury of pulling (or even seeing) Jace at a draft. He's darn good in constructed and he's probably even better in Limited (decks are smaller after all).

IIRC, the pack with Jace in it was passed to me (us)... What was the other player thinking not choosing Jace?

You're probably right. I've never had the luxury of pulling (or even seeing) Jace at a draft. He's darn good in constructed and he's probably even better in Limited (decks are smaller after all).

IIRC, the pack with Jace in it was passed to me (us)... What was the other player thinking not choosing Jace?

I have had the misfortune of going up against a Jace 3.0 in sealed.  He's a 3 turn clock and he is easily protected in blue.  Not to mention the mill doesn't even use up any loyalty counters (should have been a -1 imo, but eh...) and he starts with 4 so he can usually afford to take a hit too.

Nah, Jace was pack 2 pick 1, we opened it.  What is nuts to me though is that our second mind control (pack 3, pick 2) was passed to us.  although granted the player to our right (if you drafted U/B) was W/R so I guess it's acceptable if say...that's where they opened their copy of angelic destiny from.

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

There is no right choice on pick one.

HOWEVER ,I favor Archon myself. You've seen the mind control, so you can pickup some of the demysify that will be left as late picks. Having seen the archon, there isn't much you can do about it. Removal isn't gonna sit around, and removing it is still Card disadvantage.

Round 1:
Archon of Justice what I said
Doom Blade Best card in the pack. No contest. Don't see why I'd take anything else.
Assault Griffin Better than the bat at this point.
Child of Night Efficient creature with gravy.
Warpath Ghoul Meh, nothing bette. It attacks and blocks.
Child of Night Same reasoning as before. 2 is better than 1.
Duskhunter Bat Becoming more valuable.
Duskhunter Bat x2
Wring Flesh removal
Dark Favor Bats and child of night could wear this. Also, nothing else.
Distress No choice ehre
Brink of Disaster Cool late pick. Removal.
Reverberate
Flight
Forest

Round 2:
Jace, Memory Adept The "I Win" card. Cannot leave it there. I only have 2 white cards anyway. We'll see.
Cancel Logical choice after jace. White doesn't convince me otherwise.
Aven Fleetwing This guy is great. I got a dark favor.
Sorin's Thirst removal
Divination I wanna draw Jace
Timely Reinforcements Nothing really hot to pick here. At worseit's ate, at best splash.
Drifting Shade Perfect, this deck is full of black.
Ponder Draw jace.
Negate Only Choice
Tormented Soul The deck is gonna end up aggro control. There's no way I'll get enough tools for full control.
Blood Seeker Nothing else
Tormented Soul same as before
Zombie Infestation could play.
Bountiful Harvest
Island

Round 3:
Brink of Disaster Horrible first picks for me. Removal.
Mind Control OMG, sure.
Diabolic Tutor Hey look, it's Jace.
Drifting Shade Again
Merfolk Mesmerist Hey, might as well. Though the right pick is the other merfolk.
Distress Control
Coral Merfolk Well, here he is.
Duskhunter Bat x3
Reclaim Best card to hate. No picks for me.
Duskhunter Bat wow, playset. Aggro control.
Pride Guardian Best hate
Taste of Blood You know, this card is bad. But against some decks, I MAY need to enable my first Bat by hand.
Stave Off Best hate.
Unsummon Cool last pick.
Island

Would play this comfortably. I have at least an unsommon for the previous mind control, a bit of draw, plenty of removal, good beats, Jace, and a way to fetch him.

GG.

139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
still not convinced mind control is a great card.  expensive to cast and easily negated.

Reasons why Mind Control is awesome:
1)It is creature removal
2)It counts as a bomb creature for your deck
3)5 cmc is probably less than the cmc of the best bomb that shows up on your opponent's side of the board
4)easily negated is a terrible argument.  Just about any spell can be countered by something.  Even if you are referring to enchantment destruction, those cards have a very narrow use, and for every time someone has one of those cards for your mind control there will be many other times where such a card will just sit in the opponent's hand and do nothing unless the current metagame has lots of good artifacts/enchantments (which M12 doesn't really have much of in the common slot).

Post #777

Mind Contol is, has always been, and will always be, just a bad Control Magic (and a bad Treachery also).
Mind Contol is, has always been, and will always be, just a bad Control Magic (and a bad Treachery also).

Treachery is OP (so is much of the Urza's block for that matter)
When was the last time either of those was in standard?
Keep in mind that this is the draft simulator.  I was referring to the value of the card in LIMITED.

Post #777

I was referring to the value of the card in LIMITED.

And then what?
There are scads and scads of cards that are good in limited, then disappear into a shoebox forever.

I was referring to the value of the card in LIMITED.

And then what?
There are scads and scads of cards that are good in limited, then disappear into a shoebox forever.

Yes, I know.  And this is one of them (most of the time).  What's your point?
If all you want are the best cards that you'll use over and over again in constructed decks, then buy singles.
I, for one, enjoy playing limited.

Post #777

in this limited format a simple unsummon has a greater impact than mind control in my opinion.  you can force your advisay to recast and sit for a miniscule cost and at your conveinence.  mind control has its use but it does not deserve the automatic first pick in a draft.