12/9/2011 LD: "What Developers Do"

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Latest Developments, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.
and if (say) the green common vanilla was statted at 4/3 to deliberately avoid the common red burn spell, which dealt 2 damage, but which now deals 3 damage because it needed to cost another two mana and not be a totally awful card..

Assuming a Shock with a block-ability is floating around R or 1R, that means our now-three-damage spell that needed to cost another two mana" is somewhere between 2R and 3R at a minimum, and probaby somewhere in the realm of 3RR for some reason.
That is totally awful.
it would probably become something like volt charge or brimstone volley, or burn trail on the high end.

what song is he talking about for kareoke?
it would probably become something like volt charge or brimstone volley, or burn trail on the high end.

what song is he talking about for kareoke?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4r5PlXh17w

Also, I like this column already. This is the kind of writing style I fancy.
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.
I don't see how marketing should be called metagaming design. Metagaming and Metadesign has very different meanings than what you call metagaming design, and i don't see how fusing them gives you that meaning. 

Besides that, i like the article.
How to Autocard
card: [c]cardname[/c]-> [c]Vampire Nighthawk[/c] -> Vampire Nighthawk
Say, for example, we've realized that nobody has drafted black-green in any of the last three Magic 20X6 playtests. Is the problem with the individual black and green cards? Do the cards lack inherent synergy? Do the power cards in each color combination compete with each other on the mana curve, so that drafting them together creates diminishing returns? Is there a specific strategy—maybe speed-infect, or graveyard-matters—that the color combination naturally plays into that we could enable more directly with a choice uncommon or two?

What are the odds that people are going to read this and start Chicken Little-ing... "Infect is in Magic 2016!?!?!"
wow, nothing on how complicated the game became in the last decade and how new playes can not understand "flanking"mechanic ? very dissapointing.
"If you're reading this article, it means you're enfranchised enough in Magic to devote time out of your day to consume content relating to the design of (what I hope to be!) your favorite game. That means, in all likelihood, that you're a MagicPlayer with a capital M and P. Chances are you know what Booster Draft and Sealed Deck are, and you can appreciate the nuances of how Limited formats evolve and how certain cards affect the replayability of a given environment and everything else."

"You probably have played a lot of Magic, and are probably part of what someone could accurately describe as a "Magic Community."

But I am a longtime (1994) "kitchen"  table casual player.  The terms likelihood and probably basically cover this, but what I find interesting is the infrequency that my audience ( and the presumption I am not alone, but maybe that is cognitive bias) is addressed on "Magic Community".

But I am a longtime (1994) "kitchen"  table casual player.  The terms likelihood and probably basically cover this, but what I find interesting is the infrequency that my audience ( and the presumption I am not alone, but maybe that is cognitive bias) is addressed on "Magic Community".

You mean, apart from articles concerning Planechase, Archenemy, Commander, Star Magic, Respawn, Multiplayer, or any of the other countless variants?

Even if you play casually, his statement still applies to you. Nowhere does it indicate that you play at a tournament level. It merely indicates that you are aware that things such as draft exist, and that you consider Magic to be more than just another random game. From your post, you still sound like you fit the description of a Magic Player, even if you only play casually.

And casual is relative. There's a huge difference between "Between the four of us we own exactly four precons" and owning a significant enough chunk of cards that you have multiple decks that include a strategy more coherent then "Play stuff that's pretty good and attack." 
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
@Twanbon: 20X6 is a Homestarrunner reference, not a veiled reference to anything real.

For me, I have owned exactly one standard-legal deck in the past 5 years, and that was mostly coincidence.  I only really play Limited, but I still consider myself a pretty invested player.
Even if you play casually, his statement still applies to you. Nowhere does it indicate that you play at a tournament level. It merely indicates that you are aware that things such as draft exist, and that you consider Magic to be more than just another random game. From your post, you still sound like you fit the description of a Magic Player, even if you only play casually.

And casual is relative. There's a huge difference between "Between the four of us we own exactly four precons" and owning a significant enough chunk of cards that you have multiple decks that include a strategy more coherent then "Play stuff that's pretty good and attack." 

Although even that doesn't have to say anything. I know guys who have spent thousands on magic and will not know the difference between Vintage and Legacy, or Grand Prix and Pro Tour. 
"You probably have played a lot of Magic, and are probably part of what someone could accurately describe as a "Magic Community."

Longtime kitchen table players are certainly part of "a Magic Community."  I had a bigger issue with his assertion that "most players play Standard."  That's not my experience with casual players at all.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
Sign In to post comments