I'd like to explore the astral sea

but I also would like to use miniatures to do so... so help me out WotC! when you start makin minis again you should make astral ships that are like the star wars mini ships! and some maps?! that'd be a hella starter pack! I can see it! A big box with a bunch of astral ships, a couple of maps for astral battle! hellz yeah! if you're doin a skirmish game anyway that'd be a great way to start! and all the rpg fans would get some use out of it, I know I would!
also, some npc and character miniatures for the astral sea would be daaaaaaank! some tiles? grass and towns are great but I need something a bit more creative if I'm goin to the great unknown! :o
When (or if) they start making miniatures again, I think it will be for the new skirmish game, and I don't think it will focus much on the Astral Sea. For NPCs and PCs, you don't actually need special miniatures, seeing as most immortals are either angels/devils, monsters or exalted/damned. Angels and devils have both been covered in earlier expansions, monsters either have been represented, or aren't suited for miniatures (Astral Juggernaut), and as for exalted and damned, you can use regular NPC and PC miniatures.

When it comes to ships, it seems a bit redundant to produce them, since it would either need a massive amount of plastic to be made at all (and therefore be too expensive compared to how many will buy it), or it would have to be made in a way so that miniatures can move around on it more easily. And instead of making the lower half of a ship (which would probably sell even less), you might as well use tiles or a map that you made yourself.

Tiles are probably on their way, if the general predictions about the Astral Sea as a campaign setting (Heroes of the Astral Sea, etc.) are correct, but they wouldn't be launched until summer 2013 - at the earliest! - because there is a split focus on the capital city of the Drow and on the Elemental Chaos next year.
nah for ships I'm talkin' like a normal sized vessel is the size of a medium humanoid. and so on so the ships wouldn't be to scale with normal miniatures but they'd be available for ship to ship combat. like star wars minis did!
the ships wouldn't be to scale with normal miniatures but they'd be available for ship to ship combat. like star wars minis did!

Right, you want pieces for fantasy naval battles. I believe it's unlikely that WotC would have such a line for D&D (as the customer base would be too small), but here are some options:
1) Pirates Constructible Strategy Game
2) Conquest of Nerath
3) Uncharted seas
4) Dreadfleet

Sign In to post comments