How would an adventuring/travelling Dragon go about protecting his hoard?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Greetings everyone. As a great fan of all things draconic, I've decided on creating a Bronze dragon PC using the guideline presented in Draconomicon.

Now just a little problem I have in regards to his lair and treasure hoard for as he is a frequent traveler and adventurer and is rarely found within his lair it could very easily be robbed and pilaged. Should I have him set up traps and guards as I want him to be an adventurous dragon of whom is almost always on the move. What other ways could I get around this? Bag of Holding mabye or something else?

cheers.
What kind of level?

He could put a lot of it in a bag of holding, or use the Secret Chest ritual to store his hoard in the Astral Sea. I think that most dragons would want to keep their hoard close, so some kind of pocket dimension they can carry on their person would be best I guess. That way they can sleep in their hoard wherever they are.
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
in 2nd-3.5 at least they had a spell called mordakiens magnificent mansion which had a huge pocked dimension palace accesable via a door drawn on a wall. i'm not sure if it survived to 4th edition
Minions, Golems, Oozes, other guardian type creatures. Anything that will work for cheep or free that will be a general nuisance to anyone trying to get to the hoard.

Failing that, bags of holding will work fine.

Happy Gaming

Depending on the campaign. If you were in ebberon it could all be invested into a bank, stocks, bonds, become a patron of the arts.

I once had a red dragon who was particularly cunning as well as crazy and every time he stole the gold, he would take it to his hoard and breathe fire on it to melt it down and smear it on his clutch. when it cooled it just became part of this larger GIGANTIC   egg. When they listened in they discovered there was an actuall egg in the middle and she had been smothering the egg in gold to keep it warm, unaware they she sealed it in and it couldnt escape years ago.

it took the players all week to figure out what to do with  a 3 metric ton gold egg.

I later adapted the idea for a different dragon who would heat up the gold under dragons breath and smear the sceiling with gold 50 feet up.

Depending on the campaign. If you were in ebberon it could all be invested into a bank, stocks, bonds, become a patron of the arts

Look up the archived threads "Art Objects" and "Pimp My Lair" for more ideas.  (Full disclosure: a few of them - not the best - are mine.)

- It's "just a statue" from a distance under torchlight, but if you take a really good look at it, it's Michaelangelo's David.
- A chess set made of wood is cheap, but one made of ivory is more expensive - and one made in a foreign land from bones of an endangered species is even more expensive (plus, tyrannical regimes can arrest you just for having it even if you DIDN'T kill the animal yourself.)
- Something too big and heavy to move - or, conversely, too light and fragile to touch - such as the Ice Age cave paintings or the Sistine Chapel ceiling or a mosaic that covers the wall, would be sure to be there when he retuns.
- How about an arrangement of peacock-tail feathers?  (Looks like a tail)
- Or an Egyptian-style painting/carving?

Also go through the Wondrous Items and Rituals lists.  Many of them are man-portable or expensive or both.  Your dragon carries his treasure around on his back - not a huge metallic ingot but a Magic Campsite full of Restful Bedrolls (one is twice normal size for him), an Eye of Alarm set on a post in the middle, a Basket of Everlasting Provisions is in his tent, so is a flask of the ever-burning oil from Mordenkainen's Emporium.  A book made of Scrolls of Mapping (what's the real name?) to record his journeys.  Boots of Water-Walking just in case.  Potion of Breathe Water in event of REAL emergency.  The Dark Sun "walking staff" that gives him +2 speed.  He repays faithful service by making Hunter's Flints instead of with coin.  A Floating Lantern goeth before him and lighteth his way.  He has a pair of Literate Spectacles so he can read anything he sees.  And so on.

Best complements I have yet received:

Show

Making it up as I go along:

{BRJN} If I was writing the Tome of Lore, I would let Auppenser sleep. But I also would have him dream. In his dreaming he re-activates the innate powers of (some) mortal minds. Or his dreaming changes the nature of reality - currently very malleable thanks to Spellplague &c. Or whatever really cool flavor text and pseudo-science explanation people react positively to.

{Lord_Karsus} You know, I like that better than the explanations for the Spellplague.

Prepped ahead of time:

I started the thread "1001 Failed Interrogation Results" (which seems to have faded into that great electronic goodnight, alas)

{ADHadh} These are all good and make sense! I just can't come up with something that's not covered here and is not completely ridiculous.

My 4e characters:

Show

Active:

LFR Half-elf StarLock8 Gondolin Nightstar

AoA Dwarf Guardian Druid8 Narvik from House Wavir

Character Ready-to-go:

Neverwinter Dwarven Invoker / Heir of Delzoun, worships Silvanus (!) "Truenamer" - speaks Words of Creation

Concepts I'm kicking around:

"Buggy" Wizard - insect flavor on everything.  His DMPC version is going to become a Lamia.  Becauae lichdom is so cliche.

Halfling Tempest Fighter - just because nobody else is doing it

Shifter Beast-o-phile Druid - for Nentir Vale campaign

I read a story once where an old building had been converted into a library, and then a tyrant took over and made it his palace, and then a dragon came and ate the tyrant and moved into the building... and, years later, just abruptly disappeared.

A few years after the dragon disappeared, the building reopened as a library. It was a great library with a huge collection, open to anyone who brought another book to add to it. The assistance you'd get from the librarian was dependent on whether it was a book not already present, or a rare and valuable book, or not... but if you brought a book, you got some access.

Many researchers came there to study various questions. One of those questions was what happened to the dragon.

(Anyone who tried to take a book FROM the library... found out what had happened to the dragon.) 
"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
A Leomund's Secret Chest ritual could work, as would a Reverse Portal ritual, and as previously stated, traps and hired/captured monsters (perhaps even hiding your loot and putting in a decoy using Fools Gold and gems made from paste).

Also, could you please tell me what guidelines you are refering to? I've looked in both Draconomicons and I couldn't find anything in either about creating dragon PCs (draconic creatures, yes, but not dragons).
It depends on what you want the dragon to hoard, and also how important the hoard is in the campaign. Do you want it to appear? Do you want it to be broken into?