Versatile party buffer: Artificer|Cleric/Bard (Skald)

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Or, "I gotcher bonuses right here, any kind, any time!"

This is my first foray into CharOps, so I hope I don't draw too many flames.

Anyway, I was thinking about designing a character who could hand out a large variety of buffs as needed, sort of like a JRPG-style "healer"-type character.  Artificer|Cleric seemed like a good start (emphasizing INT and WIS), netting both Magic Weapon (for +hit and +damage) and Sacred Flame (for +thp and saves).  So all I need is something for +AC/NADs.

Enter the Skald, from Heroes of the Feywild.  The at-will power Words of Gravity grants +2 to all defenses for one ally in your skald's aura when you hit with a basic attack.  The effect lasts until the end of the encounter or until you use another bard at-will power.

If I make this character a half-elf, I can take Words of Gravity as my Dilettante power (header lists it as Bard Attack 1).  If I then take Master of Stories as my level 1 feat, I gain a skald's aura, which gains me an additional minor action heal and lets me use Words of Gravity.  As far as I can tell, even though it's my Dilettante power, the effect still lasts for the entire encounter, since I don't have another bard at-will to use.

Now, it probably won't be that effective at level 1, because my basic attacks are likely to be based off a dump stat.  So it won't really start being useful until level 2, when I take Melee Training (probably for Wisdom), or there's some feat I'm unaware of that turns either Magic Weapon or Sacred Flame into a basic attack.

TL;DR quick summary:
Half-elf Artificer|Cleric level 2
STR 8 DEX 10 CON 11+2 INT 16 WIS 16+2 CHA 13

Dilettante power:  Words of Gravity (bard at-will attack 1)

At-Wills:
Magic Weapon
Sacred Flame

Encounter:  TBD
Daily:  TBD
Utility:  TBD

Feats:
1.  Master of Stories (bard [skald] multiclass)
2.  Melee Training (WIS)

Can give +hit/+damage, +thp/saving throw, or +2 all defenses on an at-will basis, contingent on successful hits.  Words of Gravity has an encounter-long effect.

Does this work as a reasonable basis for a buff-centered character?  What would be a good direction to go from here? 
You are a cleric take soljinors hammer (spelling is bad I know) as your cleric at will and then you will have a wisdom based at will basic attack.
The at-will power Words of Gravity grants +2 to all defenses for one ally in your skald's aura when you hit with a basic attack.  The effect lasts until the end of the encounter or until you use another bard at-will power.

You misquoted the power.  The effect is: Each time you hit an enemy with a basic attack, one of your allies in the aura gains a +2 power bonus to all defenses until the end of your next turn.
The aura will be charged until the end of the encounter, where each time you hit an enemy you can give that buff out.  The buff only lasts until the end of your next turn, however.
For the level 1 Encounter power, my suggestion would be for Prophetic Guidance over something like Spike Wire.  Really lets the party set up on a single target for a round, and you'll have the Wisdom bonus for the rider to get a nice extra chunk of damage out of it.

At 2, Shield of Faith is +2 AC to the party for the encounter, while Armor of Faith is a +4 to a single defense of your choice, for a single ally of your choice.  Bless is a flat +1 to hit for everyone.

At 6, Mark of Victory is nice to toss on some unfortunate elite or solo.

EDIT:  Derp, Icebound Sigil keys off of Con and not Int, nevermind.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
The at-will power Words of Gravity grants +2 to all defenses for one ally in your skald's aura when you hit with a basic attack.  The effect lasts until the end of the encounter or until you use another bard at-will power.

You misquoted the power.  The effect is: Each time you hit an enemy with a basic attack, one of your allies in the aura gains a +2 power bonus to all defenses until the end of your next turn.
The aura will be charged until the end of the encounter, where each time you hit an enemy you can give that buff out.  The buff only lasts until the end of your next turn, however.

The important part is setting up the aura benefit since that is the only part that goes away.  The martial bard power will last all encounter even if the power bonus to AC doesn't (and we can keep it going by just using our basic attack power).
Assuming his quote is right, the bonus goes to an ally anyway... you are not your own ally.
Sign In to post comments