Multiclass Cleric/Invoker: Healer/Laser

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys, still getting adjusted to 4e Character building. In my neverending quest to try and make a character for each role to have sitting on the backburner, I decided to try and throw a Cleric together. At first I was really turned off by the concept of the Cleric (at least STR-based Clerics)... but after reading a little on the "Laser"-style builds, I became much more interested.

>> Makam, Deva Cleric/Invoker << 

So, the aim is to have a Cleric who has decent survivability, can zap from the rear, and also provide ample support for his allies.

I started off with "Battle Cleric's Lore" and the "Auspicious Birth" Background to boost his AC and HP, respectively. This way he doesn't have to feel paper thin, and be able to close-blast enemies up without worrying too much if he's relatively unguarded. I also took Healer's Mercy and Favor of the Gods as Channel Divinity powers for added party support. 

From there, my goal would be to maximize his Radiant-based Damage (Morninglord) and eventually nab myself an Accurate Staff of Radiance, which would be used for blasting. I would also upgrade my holy symbol to a Symbol of the Holy Nimbus, strictly for Healing-Based powers. Feats like Radiant Vessel also capitalize on the half blast/half healer style.

I also decided to pick up Channel Divinity: Solar Enemy. This is basically because with Glorious Channeler, I could activate it in a fight where I believe I was going to be pressed into Melee Combat. If they strike me, I can use Invoker's Aura feat to deal a burst of Radiant Damage (which is further intensified by Solar Enemy/Morninglord) and nuke them.

Soul of the World was picked because of the Deva Race, and from what I can tell it will be a very promising choice. I haven't fully looked at all the angles I can work, but it seems very flexible/exploitable and it gives me a Wis Bump, which is great.

Now to the big question: what else can I do to improve this build? Are there any feats I am blatantly missing or work better than the ones I am currently emplyoing? How can I make this guy a better Zapper/Healer?
It looks like a straightfoward laser cleric build.  Not sure about the feat seleciton. Depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If you've not gone through the cleric handbook, then you should.
Yeah, I already leafed through the Cleric Handbook... which is how I got where I am thus far.

If you mean what I'm attempting to accomplish with the character, I want to make a character who is strong in both Healing and Lasering. If you mean what I wish to accomplish by posting, I just need some advice on trimming the fat and optimizing my choices. Mainly, my feats. I want to know if I'm making the right choices and if I'm not, which ones are the stronger picks. 
You're probably going to want an Astral Symbol (Superior Symbol).  Energized(Radiant) and a boost to range are just plain gravy for a laser cleric.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
Could a newbie get some feat advice?
Is this a Cleric multiclassed Invoker or a Cleric/Invoker hybrid? Because I just started playing a Human Hybrid Invoker/Cleric and it is fun fun fun.

Cleric vs Cleric/Invoker
Cleric loses 1 Healing Word per encounter by Hybrid'ing
Cleric loses Channel Divinity (can hybrid talent back into it) by Hybrid'ing

Cleric gains Hand of Radiance 3 target at-will deliciousness. (Morninglord loves this)
Cleric gains Invoker suite of AoE Powers. (Morninglord loves this)

So it's more offense oriented then a straight laser cleric build, but the increased damage/control should offset the loss of a heal per encounter. Plus you can take Cleric utility powers that emulate a healing word. For feat advice, other then general math fixes, chosen Channel Divinities, and Domain stuffs, I found Staff Fighting to be an oft-overlooked source for an extra 1 AC that stacks with Battle Cleric's shield bonus.
The character is a Multiclass, not a Hybrid. Base Class Cleric, obviously.

As for feats, the list of what I am proposing to take is provided in the link above... but I suppose I could post the list here, if thats more convienent.

Heoric Tier, Multiclass Cleric/Invoker
1. MC Invoker: Acolyte of Divine Secrets 
2. Versatile Expertise {Staff, Holy Symbol}
4. Healer's Implement
6. Defensive Healing Word
8. Superior Implement Training {Staff, Accurate}
10. Coordinated Explosion

Paragon Tier, Paragon Path ~ Morninglord
11. Battle Intuition
12. Invoker's Blaze
14. Invoker Implement Expertise
16. Radiant Vessel
18. Channel Divinity: Solar Enemy
20. Improved Defenses

Epic Tier, Epic Destiny ~ Soul of the World
21. Supreme Healing
22. Beatific Healing
24. Invoker's Aura
26. Glorious Channeler
28. Punishing Radiance
30. Divine Mastery 

Yes, Staff Fighting was definitely something I was looking into for the AC boost but didn't know if I could afford to squeeze in. Are there any smarter/more optimal choices I can be making with this feat selection? 
Font of Radiance might be up your alley, though probably better if you were a hybrid Invoker and had Hand of Radiance at-will.  More chances to crit, more chances to turn critters into glowing damage zones.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
Yes, that was another feat I was considering putting to use.

So can anyone tell me if this build or broken, or alright, or salvageable as-is? Or does it need serious reworking/retuning? 
I would consider going for Revered One for your epic destiny.  While the 21st level power is campaign-specific, the 24th level power is amazing.  Being able to use each of your Channel Divinity Powers once per encounter is fantastic, and you can also take any Channel Divinity power regardless of which god it is associated with.  Combining this ability with Morninglord will make every encounter a Militant Dawn.
I'm in the middle of building a similar cleric.

At what level are you starting this cleric off?

The character is a Multiclass, not a Hybrid. Base Class Cleric, obviously.

As for feats, the list of what I am proposing to take is provided in the link above... but I suppose I could post the list here, if thats more convienent.

Heoric Tier, Multiclass Cleric/Invoker
1. MC Invoker: Acolyte of Divine Secrets 
2. Versatile Expertise {Staff, Holy Symbol}
4. Healer's Implement
6. Defensive Healing Word
8. Superior Implement Training {Staff, Accurate}
10. Coordinated Explosion

Paragon Tier, Paragon Path ~ Morninglord
11. Battle Intuition
12. Invoker's Blaze
14. Invoker Implement Expertise
16. Radiant Vessel
18. Channel Divinity: Solar Enemy
20. Improved Defenses

Epic Tier, Epic Destiny ~ Soul of the World
21. Supreme Healing
22. Beatific Healing
24. Invoker's Aura
26. Glorious Channeler
28. Punishing Radiance
30. Divine Mastery 

Yes, Staff Fighting was definitely something I was looking into for the AC boost but didn't know if I could afford to squeeze in. Are there any smarter/more optimal choices I can be making with this feat selection? 

Mark of Healing is a must for just about any cleric. Radiant Vessel is nice, but the deeper you go into paragon, the more you'll want those extra saving throws from MoH.

If you're interested in maxing out your Channel Divinity power, consider taking Gambler's Word (gain extra use of Healing Word when you crit, once per encounter) and acquiring a Champion's Hauberk (spend one healing word to gain extra use of Channel Divinity, once per encounter). Pick up a nice extra CD like Power of Amaunator, and don't forget to take the Reverent Mettle utility 10 power (recharges whenever you use a CD).

Power of the Sun is a nice addition to the radiant vulnerability portfolio if you have a spare feat.

Consider swapping out Versatile Expertise for Staff Expertise, which lets you use your staff as a weapon and an implement, increases your melee reach by 1, and eliminates provoking OAs when you use ranged or area powers. Holy Nimbus symbol is nice, but there are so many ways to boost your healing that you're better off consolidating into one weapliment and picking up a +2 Symbol of Divinity, which gives you an extra action point on a crit once per day but which doesn't actually need to be wielded (i.e. you buy the level 9 version and never have to upgrade it).

Folks here will probably disagree with me on the following, but if you're MCing Invoker, you might want to replace swapping out your level 7 power for the awesome Rain of Blood power (area burst 1, gives vulnerable 5 to all targets on a hit) using the Novice Power feat.

I would support sticking with accurate superior implements, instead of astral implements. Hitting is nice, and that +1 makes a difference.

Lastly, you have Invoker Implement Expertise in paragon, but it's an epic feat, so you can't take it in Paragon.

Hope that helps!