12/07/2011 StF: "Flavor and Multitasking"

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Savor the Flavor, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
We'll be waiting for you...
Gotta say, this was one of the most amusing articles I've read. Why is it that the best articles seem shorter than the boring/irrelevant articles?
This is really "kick Time Spiral when it's down" week, isn't it?
I don't think that being aware of flavor and mechanics at the same time is really multitasking. Texting while talking on the phone to another person is multitasking. Thinking of your angel as an angel AND as a 4/4 white creature with flying is more about categorizing than it is about processing different tasks.

Also, what does a brother have to do to get an actual non-gimmicky article around these parts? I mean, Savor the Flavor is probably the least likely column to be straight forward, but seriously, I'm down to Building on a Budget here...
This makes a good companion piece to MaRo's scare piece this week. Complexity creep is not going to kill you and eat your family, it's pretty easily managed.

Thats what I thought and I havent even finished the article yet. I dont know why they keep bashing Future Sight. It was amazing. And I honestly havent met any of these dumb players who couldn't handle the complexity* or didnt like Suspend or the inside joke** of Timespiral block. Everyone I played with at the time enjoyed and people I know who joined the game after still like good cards.

* Is 4 mechanics x 5 to 15 really less complex than 17 mechanics x 1 to 7 cards. Look at card, read what it does, play game.
** Even I didnt get all the references at the time and its possible I could still look at a particular card and not get it. But a good card is still good and a fun card is still fun.

And I honestly havent met any of these dumb players who couldn't handle the complexity

I think that's what they're gettig at. You haven't met them because they're not playing.
Sign In to post comments