Monk as a defender?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
My group is starting a new campaign soon.  We're starting at level two.  The DM has decided that he wants us to make our characters separately, so as not to influence each other's decisions, and the group backstory will be worked out together once they're all created.

The thing is, I know none of the other players want to play a defender.  I'm personally not a big fan of true defender classes, either, but I am a fan of the monk, and I think I can fill the void by going Iron Soul.  This character isn't exactly optimized, but could you fine folks tell me whether or not he could really fill in for a defender?  I just want to know if he's functional.  Also, I am pretty set on playing a drow, but any other tips are appreciated.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Kalanaun Do'ate, level 2
Drow, Monk
Monastic Tradition Option: Iron Soul
Inherent Bonuses
Theme: Guttersnipe

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 13, CON 14, DEX 18, INT 8, WIS 14, CHA 13

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 13, CON 14, DEX 16, INT 8, WIS 12, CHA 13

AC: 18 Fort: 14 Ref: 16 Will: 14
HP: 31 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +10, Athletics +7, Endurance +8, Perception +8, Stealth +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +0, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +3, Heal +3, History +0, Insight +3, Intimidate +4, Nature +3, Religion +0, Streetwise +2, Thievery +5

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Guttersnipe Attack: Running Slash
Drow Racial Power: Cloud of Darkness
Monk Feature: Iron Soul Flurry of Blows
Multiple Class Utility: Defender Aura
Paladin Attack: Righteous Radiance
Monk Attack 1: Five Storms
Monk Attack 1: Steel Wind
Monk Attack 1: Open the Gate of Battle
Monk Attack 1: Stunning Palm
Guttersnipe Utility 2: Infuriating Taunt

FEATS
Level 1: Internalize the Basic Kata
Level 2: Squire of Righteousness

ITEMS
Monk unarmed strike
Quarterstaff x1
Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) x1
====== End ======

The idea is to activate the defender aura and go after the meanest-looking bad guy, hitting him with Open the Gate of Battle and Iron Soul Flurry of Blows right away to prevent him from shifting.  If I miss, I can still punish him the first time he shifts with Righteous Radiance.  Either way, if he moves without shifting, I can use my dexterity to hit him with an unarmed strike.  Hopefully, he'll decide to attack me.  If he misses, I can use Infuriating Taunt to make things even harder for him.  If he hits me, well, I am playing the defender, right?

If Kalanaun survives being an unarmored punching bag for more than a few levels, I plan on spending his next few feats to boost his defenses: Iron Parry, Shielding Whirlwind, the Superior (NAD) feats, etc.

Thoughts?
Should work well enough.

Don't foget your cloud of darkness though.  It will provide some nice defense when you jump into battle. 

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Monks are one of my favorite classes, but they require a lot of TLC to really become a worthwhile Striker, Defender, or Controller. Picking an unoptimal race or build will hurt you substantially more with a Monk than with another class because, let's face it, Monks are, generally speaking, not the most optimized class.

This is doubley true for Monk builds that encourage you to stand still or remain adjacent to one target. Monks put out less damage than most other Strikers, but in return, they are substantially more maneuverable. To make an optimized Monk, you need to a) capitalize on powers that let you move and bonuses from moving (ie, Boots of the Fencing Master) and b) focus on either multiple melee attacks or close burst attacks, with a little crossover allowed.

My recommendation for this party composition is a Cavalier|Warlock or a Cavalier|Sorceror. Cavalier makes an excellent Charisma primary Hybrid Defender, and both of these builds can let you keep your Dex, but generally don't care too much about secondary stats. If you pick up Holy Smite when you need an encounter power and one of the Paladin's Healing or Sanctioning dailies, you can focus the rest of your resources on your Striker half, thus becoming an optimized Striker and a fairly optimized Defender.
My group is starting a new campaign soon.  We're starting at level two.  The DM has decided that he wants us to make our characters separately, so as not to influence each other's decisions, and the group backstory will be worked out together once they're all created.

The thing is, I know none of the other players want to play a defender.  I'm personally not a big fan of true defender classes, either, but I am a fan of the monk, and I think I can fill the void by going Iron Soul.  This character isn't exactly optimized, but could you fine folks tell me whether or not he could really fill in for a defender?  I just want to know if he's functional.  Also, I am pretty set on playing a drow, but any other tips are appreciated.

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 13, CON 14, DEX 18, INT 8, WIS 14, CHA 13

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 13, CON 14, DEX 16, INT 8, WIS 12, CHA 13
 Thoughts?

It should work ok.  Not great, but it should be passable in most home games. 

Your ability scores are messed up.  I don't know why you boosted wisdom.  Drow can choose Charisma as a race ability, giving you two more points to put into something more useful as you only need a 13 charisma for the feat.  As strange as it may be con 12, dex 18 would be better than the distribution you have now as it gives you  +1 Ac, and to hit, and equal damage versus a single target.  If you decide to not do the 18 dex, then 16dex and con should be chosen.
I was thinking about that.  I suppose I'll see how my DM wants to handle it - I can see a lot of monsters willing to risk an opportunity attack to escape from the combined Cloud of Darkness and Defender's Aura.  I don't want to give them too much incentive to run away.
I was thinking about that.  I suppose I'll see how my DM wants to handle it - I can see a lot of monsters willing to risk an opportunity attack to escape from the combined Cloud of Darkness and Defender's Aura.  I don't want to give them too much incentive to run away.

If you're hitting them, then you are doing your job, whether or not they are moving way from you or not.

Also, the Battle Standard of the Hungry Blade might be good for you, but it's somewhat dependent on the party makeup (a good sliding controller would be helpful), but it's not until Level 9 anyway. I like it for Aura defenders, as you don't have to use actions to mark. The problem there is that you don't punish on each attack.

How much would you lose by doing a Hybird Cavalier / Monk? You can use just Cha for the Cavalier since you get regular Paladin powers. It might work decently. I like the stickiness of the build so far. Improve stickiness and that will go a long way for you as an off-tank.
Check out Master Pai Mei in my sig - it's an iron soul defender monk build that's full of punishment. Might provide some inspiration. 
Also, my Sticky Zombie Cow post is actually about an invisible defender monk / teleporter / taxi who borrows a minotaur's horns to grab a proning OA. 

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Actual helpful feedback: I think quite aside from character assessment, other thing you have to consider in blind character generation is what you will do if someone else has decided to play a defender.  It's not the craziest idea in the world, especially with the recent Berserker that (semi)perfectly straddles the Defender and Striker roles.  Despite my recent attempt to do the exact same thing you're doing (make an off-defender monk), it's not something I'd recommend in place of a main defender (or even a Berserker, who also allow you to sing about how your love for them is like a truck...).

Now, of course you can always respec out of your MC, but if you're taking race and theme around your speculation over blind picks you might be disappointed.
Thanks for the feedback, everyone!
another thing possibly worth looking at is the fighter grappler option, I had a "monk" a while back, that I actually built as a hybrid fighter/cleric.  The basic idea was to grab stuff, knock it down, and sit on it's head while punching it.  Multi-class monk for their unarmed strike and ki proficiency, the hybrid cleric was to shore up defenses with battle lore.  Alternatively, the new serene blade Runepriest would also work instead of cleric, basing your AC off of wisdom, and generating a bit of toughness with the temp HP.

The ending character actually felt a lot more like a traditional monk than the actual monk class for me, which I dislike because of it's feels like a melee psionic caster class to me, rather than a guy that punches things really hard.
Sign In to post comments