Dark Heavens deck and strategies

333 posts / 0 new
Last post
I guess this confirms the 4 rumored decks.  I'm curious about this, it seems to me like it has way too many high cost cards and no ability to ramp mana at all.  I don't know that I expect much here.

Am I wrong?
I'm going to play this deck, if only to be able to put Angelic Destiny on Ob Nixilis, the Fallen once.

There's some flavor here, but I'm going to have to agree with ResultsMayVary. There's a lot of high CMC cards here, and apparently it wants to just stall until it draws into the mana it needs...at least all the multicolored decks have some form of color-fixing in the deck packs though. *glares at Dragon's Roar*
It looks to be solidly mid-tier. But it does look like fun.

Sadly, there's a lots of sacrifice effects and mass removal, but not that many cards to take advantage of death. 
Not feeling this at all. Don't like all the familiar cards in the deck either.
So much potential here, especially after seeing the player built decks based on this theme.  I'm sorry but this deck, simply put, sucks.  Is Wizards rally trying to ruin their reputation with the community entirely with 2012?
It looks to be solidly mid-tier. But it does look like fun.

Sadly, there's a lots of sacrifice effects and mass removal, but not that many cards to take advantage of death. 

I think this deck looks solidly terrible honestly.  Half the best cards in the deck will never see play because they're too expensive and if they get put into a deck the game is going to be over before they hit the board.

Though Basilisk Collar is nice.  I do like that.
I'm going to play this deck, if only to be able to put Angelic Destiny on Ob Nixilis, the Fallen once.

There's some flavor here, but I'm going to have to agree with ResultsMayVary. There's a lot of high CMC cards here, and apparently it wants to just stall until it draws into the mana it needs...at least all the multicolored decks have some form of color-fixing in the deck packs though. *glares at Dragon's Roar*

I'm not sure the stalling is that weak.

What if this was a deck designed for multiplayer?  Buy some time with stalls and lifegain to let your 2HG teammate ramp up to those Eldrazi.  Get a good start in free-for-all if no one wants to throw away creatures to your defense, which kind of applies to Archenemy, too, though they may not hesitate to send all the Schemes after your defenders.

So much potential here, especially after seeing the player built decks based on this theme.  I'm sorry but this deck, simply put, sucks.  Is Wizards rally trying to ruin their reputation with the community entirely with 2012?

No...They simply don't know the community exists. Absurd as it may sound.

Still, it checks off Brodo's Desolation Angel and Vindicate boxes, so he should be happy.
No Mortify is an odd move.    

One thing I will give this deck; it has a lot of cards you *WANT* to see played. Effective or not, I'll enjoy playing this more than Forest's Fury, that's for sure.  
The deck looks promising actually. Try to gain life by blocking with your defenders, mass remove with Damnation or Living Death. Good amount of spot removal, too. And then play delicious finishers.

I can see myself having fun with this deck actually. The life-gain could be a little problematic though. 
Still, it checks off Brodo's Desolation Angel and Vindicate boxes, so he should be happy.

Haha, yes!

I would've guessed the one Vindicate, as it's not super broken in moderation. It'll suck to keep players off splash lands, but whatever. I like flexible answers and that's what Vindicate can be. Desolation Angel is definately a surprise for me though. As much as I like the card and wanted to see it, I wasn't expecting it at all due to the Armageddon effect. That feels so unlike DotP. I suppose in a deck without ramp, it's a little on the expensive side to make the land destruction global and such an effect actually has a huge chance to backfire on yourself if you're not in control of the battlefield.
No Haunt? No Spirit theme? No lifedrain theme? Boring!
I'm guessing this one will play pretty defensively until you get your angels/demons on the field. Not too happy about my favorite color combination, but at least it has Pillory of the Sleepless
I am White/Black
No Haunt? No Spirit theme? No lifedrain theme? Boring!
I'm guessing this one will play pretty defensively until you get your angels/demons on the field. Not too happy about my favorite color combination, but at least it has Pillory of the Sleepless

I still haven't finished my take on the colors, but it was a spirit deck, and it made use of Pillory and Tallowisp some.
This could've been the greatest basically black death deck ever. But Doom Blade's + Pestilence Demon + Voice of All seems sort of OP Copout, but other than that, things look great. I'll play it for sure.

Better late than never, Wizards coming back with a vengeance with the next 4 decks!

Yeah, at a glance this deck sucks.  I'm going to take a look at the other decks and then decide which cards here I'd use to make a deck.  But all these high cost creatures without any ramp, and almost totally ignoring all the great :W::B: cards is more Obnoxious than Ob Nixilis. 

Ok, I've looked at the other new decks.  I then came back here to see if I could build a functional deck out of this crap.  I couldn't.  The good cards are too expensive without ramp, there isn't enough good removal, the decent combos take too long to actualize, and the early game doesn't have enough juice to keep you alive till your decent cards come online.  I expect this to be a low tier deck.  It may even be the worst deck in the game.  I can't begin to describe my disappointment with this deck.  Yell

That said, I'm going to do my best to build a deck out of this mess and test it using the same program I used to test my version of the Dark Heavens deck.  I'll be back later to post my findings.    
Hmm..  I see this deck playing out a little like Dragon's Roar - a bunch of weenies to stall until you can drop your huge fliers.  Dragons has ramp, but this deck has better removal.   Also seems pretty easy to take down to 60.

Creatures:

2 x Cadaver Imp
2 x Doomed Traveler
1 x Wall of Essence
1 x Wall of Souls
1 x Souls of the Faultless
2 x Fallen Angel
1 x Ob Nixilis, the Fallen - This deck does have terramorphic expanse
2 x Darklit Gargoyle
1 x Voice of All
1 x Desolation Angel
1 x Baneslayer Angel
1 x Akroma, Angel of Wrath
1 x Pestilence Demon

Other:

1 x Basilisk Collar
2 x Doom Blade
2 x Pillory of the Sleepless
2 x Sign in Blood
1 x Black Sun's Zenith
2 x Faith's Fetters
3 x Terramorphic Expanse
2 x Midnight Haunting
2 x Faith's Fetters
1 x Damnation
1 x Vindicate
1 x Living Death

I think that's 60 with about 24 lands.  maybe it need more low CMC creatures, but the imps suck.
Eh, it doesn't look amazing right off the bat, but I'm not sure I would stoop so low and label it as the worst deck in the game. It's a little top heavy, but there are a few options in helping the player stall out the game, mainly the sweepers, Fetters, and the Pillory. I could see mana being a problem though, both by missing a land drop and by not having the correct mana. Since all the good creatures cost so much, you'll need the land, but a lot of them have double color costs, you'll need the right colors as well.

I do think the deck could use a few more good early drops by the way. Right now the selection is pretty slim in that area. Have a feeling the sweepers are going to be cards you want every game that a third copy of another wrath would've been nice. Here are a few other changes that I immediately thought of when I saw the deck:

Sign in Blood --> Night's Whisper (less color intensive)
Seizan, Perverter of Truth --> Bloodgift Demon (honestly, with all the reuse of cards, they couldn't choose a really good option? Bloodgift is still great in both SP and MP, Seizan only seems great in Archenemy)
Essence Drain --> fill out Faith's Fetters playset (Fetters is cheaper, gains more life, and "deals" with larger targets easier. I'll take that even if it "loses" to bounce)

I'm working on a trimmed list myself, and it looks pretty similar to what Bishop just threw out. I think I need to make about 4 more cuts before I have a 60 card list.
Ok, tested the deck against Unquenchable Fire first, and it performed very well winning 8 of 8 matches.  Keep in mind that although the Unquenchable Fire deck I'm using has all the cards unlocked, it would otherwise play similar to the normal AI opponent, not the revenge opponent with a stacked deck, and we all know the limitations of AI opponents.

Here's the deck I'm using:

Artifacts & Enchantments

1 x [C]Angelic Destiny[/C]  

1 x [C]Basilisk Collar[/C]

2 x [C]Faith's Fetters[/C]

3 x [C]Field of Souls[/C] 

2 x [C]Pillory of the Sleepless[/C]

1 x [C]Proper Burial[/C] 

Creatures

1 x [C]Angel of Despair[/C]

1 x [C]Akroma, Angel of Wrath[/C]   

1 x [C]Baneslayer Angel[/C] 

2 x [C]Cadaver Imp[/C]

1 x [C]Deathless Angel[/C]

2 x [C]Doomed Traveler[/C] 

2 x [C]Fallen Angel[/C]

1 x [C]Lightkeeper of Emeria[/C]

1 x [C]Ob Nixilis, the Fallen[/C] 

1 x [C]Sunblast Angel[/C]

3 x [C]Tormented Angel[/C]

1 x [C]Voice of All[/C]

1 x [C]Pestilence Demon[/C]

Lands

14 x [C]Plains[/C]

10 x [C]Swamp[/C] 

3 x [C]Terramorphic Expanse[/C] 

Sorceries

1 x [C]Black Sun's Zenith[/C]

1 x [C]Damnation[/C]

2 x [C]Sign in Blood[/C]

1 x [C]Vindicate[/C]              

I don't recall whether or not fetch lands count against your land count, but I factored them in as though they didn't.  Perhaps someone can clarify this for me one way or the other.  I also may be 1 off on the land ratio depending upon whether the game rounds up or down.

I think I'll try games against Blood Hunger and Ancient Depths next.       

Ok, tested the deck against Unquenchable Fire first, and it performed very well winning 8 of 8 matches.  Keep in mind that although the Unquenchable Fire deck I'm using has all the cards unlocked, it would otherwise play similar to the normal AI opponent, not the revenge opponent with a stacked deck, and we all know the limitations of AI opponents.

Artifacts & Enchantments

1 x [C]Proper Burial[/C] 

Creatures

2 x [C]Cadaver Imp[/C]

2 x [C]Fallen Angel[/C]

1 x [C]Voice of All[/C]

Lands

14 x [C]Plains[/C]

10 x [C]Swamp[/C] 

Sorceries

1 x [C]Damnation[/C]

2 x [C]Sign in Blood[/C]

1 x [C]Vindicate[/C]              

I don't recall whether or not fetch lands count against your land count, but I factored them in as though they didn't.  Perhaps someone can clarify this for me one way or the other.  I also may be 1 off on the land ratio depending upon whether the game rounds up or down.

what? this deck isn't out yet....

Artifacts & Enchantments
1 x [C]Proper Burial[/C] 

Creatures
2 x [C]Cadaver Imp[/C]
2 x [C]Fallen Angel[/C]
1 x [C]Voice of All[/C]

Lands
14 x [C]Plains[/C]
10 x [C]Swamp[/C] 

Sorceries
1 x [C]Damnation[/C]
2 x [C]Sign in Blood[/C]
1 x [C]Vindicate[/C]              

Terramorphic Expanse is treated as a spell rather than a land by the deckbuilder, so it doesn't count towards your land count.

I'll probably try a similar build once the deck comes out.
what? this deck isn't out yet....

There are other programs with extensive card libraries.  I'm using one of those programs.  

The deck won 6 of 8 against Blood Hunger.  I still have a lot of problems with this deck, but it's still performing better than I expected.
The deck's first major weakness emerges, it won only 2 of 8 vs. Ancient Depths.  By the time the deck picks up any steam, Ancient Depths is dropping its bombs.  The 2 control cards and [C]Aether Mutation[/C] didn't help either.  I think I'll try Realm of Illusion next.
Thanks for the updates but can you please edit your previous posts instead of making new ones?  It would be appreciated.
Thanks for the updates but can you please edit your previous posts instead of making new ones?  It would be appreciated.

I would do that, but who goes back to read posts they've already read?  And really, are these posts that disruptive?  I'm giving people an idea of how the deck performs against other decks, seems relevent to the OP to me.  If I get an onslaught of people who are offended by the nature of my updates, then I'll stop, but until then, sorry, but I've never understood why some people get so tweaked by the way someone posts on a message board.

Also, the deck won 6 of 9 vs. Realm of Illusion.  Using bribery on [C]Akroma, Angel of Wrath[/C] was often enough to win the game for the AI.  On the other hand, Akroma is also the card most likely to win you the game if it hits the battlefield on your side, so I wouldn't recommend removing it from your deck just becuase someone else might steal it.       

Editing a post when no one has posted within a small timeframe helps keep a thread (and forum) clean. Multiple postings from the same user just looks like spam and I find it very distracting when people do it. You're last triple post takes up about half my screen when I have them all on screen at once. Many forums have rules that require their users to avoid such actions and it's pretty well accepted as proper forum etiquette.

So while we appreciate the information you're providing, it's in a very "unclean" manner. If someone hasn't posted since the last time you did, just edit your last post with the new information and it'll look much more presentable. The next person to come by will still see it.
Editing a post when no one has posted within a small timeframe helps keep a thread (and forum) clean. Multiple postings from the same user just looks like spam and I find it very distracting when people do it. You're last triple post takes up about half my screen when I have them all on screen at once. Many forums have rules that require their users to avoid such actions and it's pretty well accepted as proper forum etiquette.

So while we appreciate the information you're providing, it's in a very "unclean" manner. If someone hasn't posted since the last time you did, just edit your last post with the new information and it'll look much more presentable. The next person to come by will still see it.

You know, I didn't even realize I had made 3 posts in a row.  Hieroglyph's post makes more sense now.  My apologies to all.  Still seems like a silly thing to get bent out of shape about though to be perfectly honest.

Anyway, this deck won 5 of 8 games vs. Ghoulkeeper.  And remember, this is versus an AI opponent, which hasn't even been optimized for these decks.  I expect its performance to be worse vs. real players or revenge.  How much worse is anyone's guess.

Aside from the big creatures that one would expect to perform well once they hit the battlefield,  [C]Field of Souls[/C] has been a strong performer if you get enough breathing room to play it.  And [C]Field of Souls[/C] plus [C]Angelic Destiny[/C] usually means gg.        
On paper this deck feels more like AD, but without the ramp. To at all get to the point where you can get out the demons/angels you've got to somehow survive, maybe one should include the lifegain defenders.
Desolation Angel makes Dungrove Elder sad. - hydramarine
When I saw the deck list I thought, this is weak.  Then I saw the unlocks and thought this was extremely powerful.  Then I thought about cmc for aminute and thought, "damn, I gotta drop ATLEAST half the good ****, just to make it playable."

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

When I saw the deck list I thought, this is weak.  Then I saw the unlocks and thought this was extremely powerful.  Then I thought about cmc for aminute and thought, "damn, I gotta drop ATLEAST half the good ****, just to make it playable."

Dark Heavens is just going to end up being an ok deck, maybe mid tier.  Playtesting demonstrates that it's probably better than I expected, but I'm still not impressed.  And Stainless ignored almost all the cool :W::B: cards when they made this deck.  It's just another aggro deck, and not a particularly great one.  Honestly, I don't even get the point of making a :W::B: deck if this is the best they could come up with.

However, it did just win 7 of 7 games vs. March to War.  However, the AI didn't know how to use [C]Brave the Elements[/C] correctly (it kept choosing green) and its proper use may have been enough to swing a couple of games.     

Dark Heavens is just going to end up being an ok deck, maybe mid tier.  Playtesting demonstrates that it's probably better than I expected, but I'm still not impressed.  And Stainless ignored almost all the cool :W::B: cards when they made this deck. 

Yeah, I see it being GOOD but never great.  Atleast in terms of the top decks.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

Dark Heavens just won 7 of 7 vs. Strength of Stone, but that probably won't suprise many people.  Another strength of this deck is all the flyers.
The deck looks balanced, different from others and OK for me. @Soulstorm: Off topic here, but could you do some playtesting with Beknighted?
The deck looks balanced, different from others and OK for me. @Soulstorm: Off topic here, but could you do some playtesting with Beknighted?

Good timing fma.  I just played Dark Heavens against Beknighted and only won 4 of 9 games.  The only deck Dark Heavens has done worse against is Ancient Depths.  I'm going to playtest beknighted now and report my results in that thread.
There's six creatures at the cost of

Soul, you have a very high cost deck, I can't imagine how you are managing with it, but then again, I'm having a hard time deciding just what I want to do. This turned out as a much cheaper deck, but I don't like it at all.

Ugh... I don't like it, I guess my heart's just not in it.

On a side note, this is another you will get stuck at 25 lands in. But on that note, don't miss the combo of Terramorphic Expanse and Ob Nixilis, the Fallen.
I'm pretty cool with 25 lands. It's a fairly top heavy deck that I don't want to hiccup on my land drops. I sort of wish Gravewhispers had 25 lands for this reason. I notice I miss critical land drops with that deck more often than I like to and I expect an extra land would minimize that a little bit. At least there are fetches for players who want to trim down on lands since we can manipulate them through the deck manager. Although that's at the expense of less color fixing, but that's not necessarily the end of the world.

This is what I threw together. Pretty set on most of it, but I have a couple of "maybes" that I haven't decided if there should be in or not. I'm sure that would have to come down to testing.

This leaves two slots open for potential cards from the maybeboard.
[deck]1 Angelic Destiny
3 Field of Souls
1 Proper Burial
2 Essence Drain
3 Tormented Angel
1 Akroma, Angel of Wrath[/deck]

Akroma just seems really expensive, almost would rather cut the curve at seven, where we still have access to some great creatures. Field of Souls seems a little "meh", but looks decent if I would run more smaller creatures and Fallen Angel. I'm not at the moment so this card doesn't seem that great for me. Although, I like how it'll provide me extra fodder if I ever get Woebringer Demon out. Proper Burial feels like Field of Souls, but instead of an attacker/blocker, I just gain life. Might be worse than Field of Souls overall. Finally, Angelic Destiny feels underutilized here, but it's still a fairly strong card and pretty good if I have smaller creatures to buff like from the tokens from Field of Souls. Tormented Angel almost reads "wall", but the deck might want/need that. Finally, there is Essence Drain which adds more removal and some extra lifegain, which also seems like what this deck might need.

I'm thinking some combination of Field of Souls, Angelic Destiny, and Tormented Angel, or just both Essence Drains for more control to fill out card slots 59-60.
Soul, you have a very high cost deck, I can't imagine how you are managing with it, but then again, I'm having a hard time deciding just what I want to do.

Yeah, it is expensive, but I have my reasons. You can't win the weenie war with this deck, because too many other decks do weenie better.  That means bombs, and arguably, the only deck that does bombs better is Ancient Depths, which is probably why this deck has a difficult time against it.

I also left out almost all the cards that are only circumstantially useful, such a doom blade, essence drain, living death, desolation angel, and the walls (they're useless against flyers) etc..  Because the deck is so expensive and takes time to reach its stride, I want to make sure that once it does every card I draw has as much impact as possible.  As you can see, the deck has performed well, better than I expected actually.
more or less what i expected, angel/demon theme with a bit of lifegain, but done not right. 

what bothers me is the early game, i mean, all the stalling/defending cards seem to me so random to be reliable, only 1 and 2 copies of each card, again??? why do they keep doing this???  sure, im not asking for 4 Vindicates, but why not 4 doomed travelers???

also, the "recycle" of cards is kind of getting lame:
Ob Nixilis, the Fallen,
Baneslayer Angel,
Damnation,
Doom Blade which is getting weaker with more black decks.

also, the "recycle" of cards is kind of getting lame:
Ob Nixilis, the Fallen,
Baneslayer Angel,
Damnation,
Doom Blade which is getting weaker with more black decks.

I agree with you on the creatures, but this game needs another damnation.  I guess they could have gone with Wrath of God or Judgement since it's black and white, but either way the results are the same.  They probably went with the double black damnation for land balancing....  idk. 

And I agree with you on doom blade.  I've dropped all but 1 doom blade from my decks.  It's just too unreliable with people playing so many black decks.  Even Machinations coolest creatures (the sphinx's) are immune to it.

You're a lose cannon.

I think it's interesting and fun to play, the "defend early until you get your fatties"-agenda pleased me alot, because it reminds me on Eons of Evil and is for me more interesting than "ramp like there is no morning" from Ancient Depths because it's more interactive. It's interesting to see, that someone playtest it, one almost any game with it, but all say it's weak ?
Sign In to post comments