Trinity of Elements deck and strategies

330 posts / 0 new
Last post
This deck looks great to me.  Expecting good things.  I wish CB would have gotten Warstorm Surge.
This looks pretty fun. Lots of hasty creatures to bring the pain quickly, lots of ramp to get up to your best creatures, and two Bloodbraid Elves available to press the advantage. I can't wait for this deck now. Oh, not to mention Riku himself to copy your spells.
Nice deck! this look really really fun to use! this look like a improved tricolor version of cloudburst!

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

Easily the deck I'm most looking forward to. It'll be fun to see if it works as well in practice as it looks on paper.
Like the haste theme, dislike such a lack of blue it seems. Lots of odd choices in this deck. Surprised not seeing Animar, Soul of Elements too.
Riku of Two Reflections
so in this 3-color deck, I'm going to need to cast a creature using the right mana while not spending the two specific pieces I'd need to clone it.

...  why do I have a bad feeling about this?

For example, I have 2 Islands, 2 Forest and a Mountain in play, along with Riku.  I cast a Man-o'-War while still holding a Rip-clan Crasher in my hand.  Which land do you think the system will end up not tapping?
Riku of Two Reflections
so in this 3-color deck, I'm going to need to cast a creature using the right mana while not spending the two specific pieces I'd need to clone it.

...  why do I have a bad feeling about this?

For example, I have 2 Islands, 2 Forest and a Mountain in play, along with Riku.  I cast a Man-o'-War while still holding a Rip-clan Crasher in my hand.  Which land do you think the system will end up not tapping?

You are not wrong to be hesitant. The deck does have some good fetching, but the tapping is still a nice wall get in your way.
Probably the best of the new decks but it still feels like a better version of Cloudburst to me.  It is yet another aggro deck in a game filled with aggro decks too.  Then there are the auto-tap issues that will likely plague this deck due to having specific color requirements.  Meh, I think I am overall disappointed in these new decks as none of them seem to offer anything that is actually new to the game.
I'm really looking forward to this one!
Ronin Warclub is an interesting choice of equipment! What do you guys think of it?
I think it works really well with all the haste going on!

Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I'm really looking forward to this one!
Ronin Warclub is an interesting choice of equipment! What do you guys think of it?
I think it works really well with all the haste going on!

That warclub look very useful to this deck thanks to his auto-equip and the creatures with haste, is not broken but is a very good card.

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

Looks good but kinda disappointing that the only we get accross 6 decks is a splash in a tricolor deck.
I agree with the previous posts that auto-tap will screw with this deck badly. There was a reason that only tri-color deck in the game was an artifact deck. I expect so much frustration while Riku is in play, among others.
i wonder if Rites of Flourishing will actually be useful in this deck...
A bit sad about the lack of as well.

I'm very curious about making this a pure haste deck, very similar to a paper-deck I play, with Primal Forcemage as a center piece. I'm liking that you seem to be able to make very different builds with this one!
I am White/Black
Well this is cute, a deck to make use of the Electropotence card that Cloudburst got, except it's already got the not terrible versions instead.

Please remove Electropotence from Cloudburst now.
Not sure how it will play, but Wizards is getting it together here. Vulshok Berserker I hate, and Thundermare unecessary though probably much more potent in this deck than CB, other than that, heck yeah!
Great deck, powerful and fun. This is what Cloudburst should've been like in the first place. It will probably be my new favourite in a R/G version.

However, there's one thing that confuses me: In both dotp games they already had the exp1 decks constructed and in the game files. It's not hard to imagine that they at least had an idea of the direction of the deckpack dlc as well. Why did they include decks just to replace them with a strictly better version later on? Who will play Apex once the Treefolk deck is out, unless he wants to play in handicap mode? 
I'm turn on whether or not the blue cards get to stay in this deck.  There is no burn of any description and the bounce could be useful.   Well, Warstorm Surge is kinda burn, and this deck has the ramp to make it viable.   I think this is my favourite of the 4 new decks, not as bad as Heavens, not as boring as the Treefolk thing, and not as completely OP as Beknighted.
Great deck, powerful and fun. This is what Cloudburst should've been like in the first place. It will probably be my new favourite in a R/G version.

However, there's one thing that confuses me: In both dotp games they already had the exp1 decks constructed and in the game files. It's not hard to imagine that they at least had an idea of the direction of the deckpack dlc as well. Why did they include decks just to replace them with a strictly better version later on? Who will play Apex once the Treefolk deck is out, unless he wants to play in handicap mode? 

Because it goes to show the lack of preparation, consistency, and support that the game receives.

Now I don't think they have to cater to what we would each like to see, but there is a general consensus between most of us about what needs to be done, to each deck, or the meta, or game features that could be identified pretty easily by reading the topics made readily, or even by playing the game.

That being said, these decks are so inconsistently designed, I can't see how that is supposed to achieve balance, if that was ever an intention in the first place.

Why would they make these decks basically superior versions of older decks? Who knows, maybe it has something to do with what Hieroglyph has said about it being ironic that the game finally features deck editing, and hardly anything worth editing. Perhaps instead of fixing what's broken, you can just roll the dice again and buy another deck.

I'm probably overreacting, and I hope I am, but that's what I'm feeling.
I just had a funny thought, what happens if Ancient Depths steals or duplicates Riku?  Ouch.

EDIT:  Also, Gigantomancer seems a bit risky with cards like Bribery or Beacon of Unrest in the game. 
I just had a funny thought, what happens if Ancient Depths steals or duplicates Riku?  Ouch.

EDIT:  Also, Gigantomancer seems a bit risky with cards like Bribery or Beacon of Unrest in the game. 

You can't duplicate Riku with much success because he's a Legend.

As for everyone's favorite excuse not to use a card because there's one copy of Bribery...  I dunno.  Most of the creatures in the Illusion deck wouldn't turn into 7/7 anyways, they'd blow up.  So it's not too much of a worry.
Hoping for this card to be in the next dlc

Probably just going to sub out all the blue. Autotap is already ridiculous with the two color decks.
This is the kind of deck I want to play.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

Looks like a red and green deck to me.  Drop the blue.  Drop the Gaea's Revenge and Primordial Sage, they're too slow for a haste deck.  Drop the cultivate cuz it's too slow.  The only reason you'd keep 1 maybe 2 evolving wilds is because you want a lil more than 21 lands, but they really slow the overall haste facesmash theme.  You don't need the beaters because with the Forcemage every new creature you play is a beater.  The only thing I would regret dropping is the divination, to get a few more hasters in my hand, but for a deck like this, I think I would actually run the Rites of Flourishing to fix that.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

Looks like a red and green deck to me.  Drop the blue.  Drop the Gaea's Revenge and Primordial Sage, they're too slow for a haste deck.  Drop the cultivate cuz it's too slow.  The only reason you'd keep 1 maybe 2 evolving wilds is because you want a lil more than 21 lands, but they really slow the overall haste facesmash theme.  You don't need the beaters because with the Forcemage every new creature you play is a beater.  The only thing I would regret dropping is the divination, to get a few more hasters in my hand, but for a deck like this, I think I would actually run the Rites of Flourishing to fix that.

I don't agree with dropping the blue splash.
This deck has enough cards to support three colours, with Farhaven Elf, Rampant Growth, Evolving Wilds and Cultivate.
Riku Of Two Reflections by itself is enough for me to splash blue!

By the way, if I decide to copy a Bloodbraid Elf with Riku of Two Reflections, does cascade go off twice?

Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

Afaik cascade is not an EtB effect so Riku shouldn't trigger 2nd cascade.
It is not Riku who triggers the second cascade but the copied token of the Bloodbraid Elf, and I see no reason why it shouldn't work (aside from bad programming, of course).
If you read the description for the cascade on the card itself, it says "When you play this spell...", meaning you have to cast it from your hand. I believe it won't work but I am no expert.
You're right, the Gatherer description on Cascade is more clear: "When you cast this spell, exile card[...]", so it should not trigger from copies.
If you read the description for the cascade on the card itself, it says "When you play this spell...", meaning you have to cast it from your hand. I believe it won't work but I am no expert.

This is correct.
[
This deck has enough cards to support three colours, with Farhaven Elf, Rampant Growth, Evolving Wilds and Cultivate.

You may end up being right, but I don't think even Riku is worth the blue.  he's to slow in a haste faceroll deck.  The entire reason to do this is because if we cut the blue we can cut all those ramp cards you listed which means we can get to the meat and potatoes quicker.

You're a lose cannon.

[

You may end up being right, but I don't think even Riku is worth the blue.  he's to slow in a haste faceroll deck.  The entire reason to do this is because if we cut the blue we can cut all those ramp cards you listed which means we can get to the meat and potatoes quicker.

Riku looks awesome, but as people already pointed out, the AI will limit his effectiveness. In the end he's just an expensive 2/2 with an ability you might not even be able to use all that often. He's also the only blue spell that's powerful enough in theory to even justify a blue splash. In the end, I believe it's better to drop the blue for a more consistent mana base, the R and G alternatives are good enough.

I'm not sure about dropping the ramp though. In order to deal 20+ damage, you'll have to cast quite a few suicidals and the cheap permanent haste guys are not powerful and numerous enough to make it a quick win. You need to prepare your offense with EtB buffs first and then cast as many cheap haste guys as possible for massive amounts of damage. I think ramp will be quite good for this deck, you don't wanna empty your hand of creatures before laying out the 3-6 CMC support cards anyway.

By the way, there aren't enough quality R or G cards to replace both, the blue splash and the ramp.
I'll probably keep the blue because the deck seems to want to take advantage of Pandemonium and Warstorm Surge, so I'll want the card drawers to help see those more often. Maybe I'd drop the blue if  Divination was Cream of the Crop, as I really want card filtering rather than card draw. That actually makes me wish Divination was Impulse or Foresee now.
Another thing about Riku, I don't think I would use his first ability that much, even if I could. There's not much I would really want to copy in the pool of cards.
Another thing about Riku, I don't think I would use his first ability that much, even if I could. There's not much I would really want to copy in the pool of cards.

If there was a Plow Under in this list, I'd be drooling over Riku's first copy ability. Actually, I probably prefer if Regress was something like Temporal Spring or Fallow Earth. You lose the instant speed, but you can start keeping opponents set back a couple of turns by manipulating their drawsteps and messing up their land drops.

At the moment though, Regress and Divination are the only spells I may consider copying if Riku is on the table.
I'll keep it tricolored aswell. Finally a second tricolor deck and a lot of land fetch and ramp - I just can't cut one color. I'm happy that the developers included [C]Terramorphic Expanse[/C]/[C]Evolving Wilds[/C] in the new multicolored decks.

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

I was doing some research on some of the cards in the this deck and i noticed that alot of the cards combo with Warstorm Surge and Pandemonium.

Primal Forcemage and even the Ronin Warclub combo with those cards.

Primal Forcemage + Hellspark Elemental+Warstorm Surge = 6 damage to player or creature

I wonder how well its going to work with Bloodbraid Elf?

This looks interesting.
That's why blue feels redundant, the money combos are between red and green cards. Sure, I could return a creature to my hand to cast it twice for the bonus, but that's quite an expensive move and only worth it should I run out of creatures. Divination is another card I will only need once I run out of options. Many spells bring more than one creature out already or have repeatable abilities to do so, so I'm not afraid this deck will run out of steam that quickly. It should be pretty straightforward: ramp up a bit, prepare some EtB buffs and smash face with a couple of pumped haste tramplers and direct damage. I predict this to be great fun, playing without much of a board for quite some time and suddenly unleashing 20 damage combos.
I think something like Nulltread Gargantuan would have been a nice blue card for this deck.

Here's my first take on this deck, including blue. At least I think there's blue in there somewhere.

It's going to be 25 lands according to the numbers, unless I can change that other then fetch land subtraction and I imagine the numbers will be something like that. I don't care for any other blue cards, but I think that's the best possible. Don't think I need another Ronin Warclub or another Fires of Yavimaya, nor do I think I will need Cultivate, but it's an option.