Potions and other magic items - activation is a standard action no matter the spell casting time?

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Activation

Drinking a potion or using an oil on an item of gear is a standard action. The potion or oil takes effect immediately.

Command Word

Activating a command word magic item is a standard action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Use-Activated

Unless stated otherwise, activating a use-activated magic item is either a standard action or not an action at all and does not provoke attacks of opportunity, unless the use involves performing an action that provokes an attack of opportunity in itself.

So if I drinka potion of Lesser Restoration, its only a standard action to get the restoration effect, but if I cast it from preparation, its three rounds? 

Am I missing something?

Scrolls and wands both state that they take a standard action unless the spell takes longer than that to cast, in which case you use the actual casting time.  

WIth the magic creation rules, the PCs have built a belt that the monk uses to Enlarge Person on himself.  SHould that take only a standard action, or a 1 round?

My Homebrew Website: www.freewebs.com/thyatia/

"It was a great tactic, and our GM applauded us. Sadly the Werewolf burst free in only two rounds, and killed everyone but the Sorceress who teleported away with only one arm." - Tetsuoh

"Having absolutely no ranks in any knowledges, my beloved Ric Flair based monk/rogue took off running immediately and attempted suicide by jumping off the bridge we were fighting on." - spitewrathhatred

"He asked me how old my character was (I said 82), and then rolled what his maximum age was. Because the number he rolled was less than what I had said, he informed me that my Bard was dead, and that I needed to make a new character." - King_of_the_Pudding

So if I drinka potion of Lesser Restoration, its only a standard action to get the restoration effect, but if I cast it from preparation, its three rounds? 

Am I missing something?

That drinking a tiny vial of fluid doesn't take longer just because of the spell brewed into it?
WIth the magic creation rules, the PCs have built a belt that the monk uses to Enlarge Person on himself.  SHould that take only a standard action, or a 1 round?

That depends on the design of the belt, but by default, if the belt is activated by putting it on (use-activated; putting on a belt is how you use it) it doesn't need to be separately activated; it takes as long to activate as it takes to don the belt.

If your party's monk wears the belt continuously, but only activates it when he needs to be larger, it's not simply use-activated.  Consequently, since the item description doesn't state otherwise, the default is for it to take as long to activate as the spell normally takes to cast (1 round).  If the PCs want to make a belt that can be activated more quickly, it should cost more than the basics defined by the pricing guidelines.

I will note, however, that the belt of growth in the Magic Item Compendium is activated with a command word as a standard action.  At 3,000 gp, it's actually much cheaper than the 7,200 gp the pricing guidelines would suggest for a 1/day, CL 10, command word item of a 1st-level spell with a duration of 1 minute/level.

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Fulminating Crab, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome LurkerIronglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
Sign In to post comments