Unseelie Agent Theme

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Are there any prerequisites to taking this theme?  Does your shadow-wrought weapon always have to be the same kind, or could I summon a sword one turn and a crossbow the next?  Are there any other bonuses granted at level 1?
No, it has no prerequisites.

No, I don't think the SWW has to be the same type every time you summon it; however, summoning it is an Encounter power.  Also, a Shadow-Wrought ranged weapon would still require ammunition.

No, it does not grant any other bonuses.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
The theme does require you to select a specific weapon type for your Shadow-Wrought Weapon when you take it. 
"You can always judge a man by the quality of his enemies." -The Doctor, Remembrance of the Daleks
This theme is awesome if you use a weapon as an implement (and don't mind making a(nother?) pact with some otherworldly creature.)

A Sorcerer with this theme can have a +1 dagger starting at level 1.  A Wizard with this theme can have a +1 quarterstaff at level 1.

What's really nice about it, though, is the weapon "levels up" with you.  So, when you hit level 6, you automatically summon a +2 weapon with the power.

Also, the level 2 Utility power may be a bit too powerful as an encounter power (I think it should have been a daily, but I won't complain too loudly!)  Being able to have darkvision all encounter long, every encounter is a very nice perk.  Definitely one worth spending a utility power pick on.  I can always get Acrobat Boots to stand up from prone as a minor action, after all ... there aren't any items in heroic tier that give darkvision...
"When you choose the Unseelie Agent theme, choose a melee weapon or a ranged weapon with which you have proficiency. The weapon created by [Create Shadow-Wrought Weapon] is the same kind of weapon."

No ambiguity there. CSWW always creates the same weapon: the one you chose when you selected the theme. And it has to be a weapon you are proficient with when you select the theme, so if you want a shadow-wrought fullblade, you need to spend the superior weapon proficiency feat at level 1. You can't use CSWW to create a greatsword at level 1, then spend the proficiency feat at level 2 and start creating fullblades with it.

However, themes can now be retrained, so (assuming your DM does not object and that you haven't chosen any power swaps from your theme yet) you could probably retrain the theme (to itself - this is where the DM might object) and select a new weapon for CSWW at that point (because you're now satisfying the "when you choose the Unseelie Agent theme" condition). Arguably, this is a case of using a (slightly obscure and questionable) loophole to get around what appears to be a deliberate restriction, so, again, it's up to your DM. I'd certainly allow it, but I'm very lenient with retraining anyway.

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

No, no ambiguity, just my poor memory =)
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
there aren't any items in heroic tier that give darkvision...

Wait, did they update the Cannith Goggles? I'm pretty sure those used to be level 1... they're listed as 11 but I'm pretty sure my party has a set of those that they've been carrying around since they were level 2.

That used to be an interesting option to get darkvision at low levels.
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
Nah, I'm pretty sure they bumped them up to 11.
The funny thing about the Shadow-Wrought Weapon is that it is always one level ahead of inherent bonuses.
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but just want to confirm:

- So SWW enhancements apply if the weapon can also be used as an implement?

- Does this mean that Cold Shadow Strike and Unleash Corruption (Unseelie Agent powers) can be applied to Arcane ranged attacks (i.e., Magic Missile) as long as the SWW is a weapon that can also be used as an implement?
- Yes

- I think you meant "implement ranged attacks" to which the answer is "yes". However, MM doesn't benefit from those powers as they require a "hit".