Which out of these would be the best, both generally and for a new player:

Garruk vs. Liliana

Jace vs. Chandra

Divine vs. Demonic

Phyrexia vs. The Coalition

Knights vs. Dragons

Elspeth vs. Tezzeret

Ajani vs. Nicol Bolas

I think I'm slightly drawn to either Jace vs. Chandra or Garruk vs. Liliana, but which of these if best? I'm looking for two balanced, fairly easy to learn but more difficult to master decks.

Thanks
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
I think that value wise Elspeth vs Tezzeret has an edge.
I don't know much about complexity, I'd be somewhat surprised if any of them has a lot of depth. If I have to choose one, I wouldn't doubt that the Tezzeret one is up there.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

The Elspeth deck stand out in my mind the most, but that's likely because it has 2 Swords to Plowshares with new art.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

And Elspeth is awesome, plus Mishra's Factory and Thirst for Knowledge, and there's nothing wrong with Master of Etherium or Steel Overseer either.

I like the knight deck too, but the dragon deck is kinda meh.
I say this without even having looked at it <.<

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

I've bought and played the bottom 4 on your list and by and far my favorite was Elspeth vs Tezzeret.
So much so that i went and bought another one.
I love my playset of Swords to Plowshares
I have played with or against all except Divine vs Demonic. In my opinion Garruck vs. Lilliana are the most balanced. They are fun to play and easy to learn but also have some difficulty. I think that's what you're looking for.

I would not buy Phyrexia vs. the Coalition or Knights vs. Dragons if you are just looking to play the decks as is. But if you want some neat tools for other casual decks those two are o.k.

Elves vs. Goblins is the best in my opinion but is super expensive. Glad I bought them when they first came out.
Thanks for the replies so far. I would want two decks that don't need to be modified. It seems that either of these would be best so far:

Garruk vs. Liliana

Elspeth vs. Tezzeret

What about Jace vs. Chandra?

I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Thanks for the replies so far. I would want two decks that don't need to be modified. It seems that either of these would be best so far:

Garruk vs. Liliana

Elspeth vs. Tezzeret

Jace vs chandra is pretty balanced, though the blue deck has a slight edge.

But if you're a really new player, I'd suggest event decks rather than duel. 

Garruk vs. Liliana

Elspeth vs. Tezzeret

thanks, however I want it for me and my friend, but if I were to, which deck should I go for?
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White

Garruk vs. Liliana

Elspeth vs. Tezzeret

thanks, however I want it for me and my friend, but if I were to, which deck should I go for?

The deck I suggest to new payers right now is Hold the line. www.wizards.com/magic/TCG/productarticle...

It's pretty good and easy to grasp.

The infect and defile from mirrodin besieged is pretty good too.
www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/productarticle...

There's also war of attrition

All of them are better overall than duel decks, as they have more synergy, and you can still fare well against other decks. Duel decks tend to be weak when not played against each other.

Garruk vs. Liliana

Elspeth vs. Tezzeret

The deck I suggest to new payers right now is Hold the line. www.wizards.com/magic/TCG/productarticle...

All of them are better overall than duel decks, as they have more synergy, and you can still fare well against other decks. Duel decks tend to be weak when not played against each other.

Do any others here agree?

Out of interest, why would you recommend the first one. What makes it good?

I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White

Garruk vs. Liliana

Elspeth vs. Tezzeret

Do any others here agree?

Out of interest, why would you recommend the first one. What makes it good?

First the deck is fairly simple. It's easy to grasp what the deck does, but while being simple, it remains fairly strong. Also, the deck is more consistent. You have 4 copies of multiple cards. Correct me if I'm wrong but duel decks don't have 4 of any card in them. They're built  so that each game will be a bit different (since you're supposed to play them against each other). So you're less likely to draw cards that make the deck good.

Hold the line also contains some pretty good cards that aren't too narrow, so you can build different decks with them. You have 4 oblivion ring 4 doomed traveller 2 mirran crusader and 4 fiend hunter. Duel decks don't offer you such a good skeleton to build other decks.

Finally, it uses cards from the current Standard format. So you can bring it to Friday night magic as is and play with it (and probably win a few games). The duel decks all contain some illegal cards for standard, so you'd have to modify them heavily if you want to use them.

From a new player's point of view, I can see how it would be hard to tell which deck is better overall though. It's up to you ultimately.
What about getting a 2011 Toolkit with the 285 cards including 4 boosters. Would that be a good place to start?
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
The toolkit actually is a pretty good product for beginers. It contains enough cards (and lands) to concievably make 2 decks, if your comfortable with making your own deck from a stack of cards (and a handy deckbuilding guide).

You also may wish to check out the "2-player battle packs" for Magic 2012. They were sorta geared towards 'open and play'.

Both of these products tend definately more toward limited style decks (40 card, 2 color decks with not many duplicates, if any) than constructed decks (60 card decks with anywhere from 1 to 3 colors, and more copies of singles, higher consistancy, etc).

- Cheers, - Dan R. (lv1 magic judge, Advanced organizer) http://butlerwpn.blogspot.com, my rather basic event blog.

What about getting a 2011 Toolkit with the 285 cards including 4 boosters. Would that be a good place to start?

The deckbuilder's toolkit is an excelent product. BUT, not for the purpose of learning the game. I would definitely suggest it after you've tried the game and decided you liked it though.

I wouldn't reccomend the battle packs to new players either. You really don't get much out of them. 

The deckbuilder's toolkit is an excelent product. BUT, not for the purpose of learning the game. I would definitely suggest it after you've tried the game and decided you liked it though.

I wouldn't reccomend the battle packs to new players either. You really don't get much out of them. 

Well I've watched the videos online and I've played other TCGs, so I'm quite comfortable on some of the rules. I really just want to have a deck and see if I like it.

I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
The toolkit is a good starting point, but you will not get a good deck out of it. I have still got a black deck that was made because i had 40-odd black cards with nothing to use them in... its an awful deck.

DBT + core set fat pack would be a good start for random cards. Although i think i remember seeing that if you shop around, you can buy 8x booster packs for considerably cheaper than a fat pack (9 boosters + land)

I guess it all really depends how much money you have...
My mate bought all 5 intro packs to M10 when we started, and that was a decent way to go. But he had more money than me

Well I've watched the videos online and I've played other TCGs, so I'm quite comfortable on some of the rules. I really just want to have a deck and see if I like it.

Building a deck from scratch is not easy if you're just starting. So you might not like what you feel the game is like from playing it. And the cards are random. So some you'll like, some you won't. preconstructed decks wouldn't have as many bad cards, and event decks don't have any at all.
Well, my first choice would definately be Elspeth vs Tezzeret, mainly because of the swords. Other than that, Ajani vs Bolas is good too.
Please go to MtgFanatic through my referral link!
Well as a new player , I have only been playing a month.  I will tell you phaseshifter's advice is good and sound,   I only wish I had asked here before buying cards.    I was given the advice of buying the deckbuilding toolkit and its not for new player's.  

You would be extremely lucky to replicate any deck found online,  what you would most likely end up with is a bunch of mish mash cards trying to make a deck.

Not to mention without a purpose and reason for a deck then your not really learning the mechanics of game.

After reading phaseshifter's response to you the other day I went out and bought both event decks he mentioned,  hold the line and infect and defile.

My enjoyment of the game for one has increased greatly,  Im drawing hands and able to formulate a gameplan now for one  and getting a better understanding of the synergy between the cards.   

And as mentioned the cards included in these decks are excellent base's for other decks,  but personally I do not see making many changes other than rotating in the side boards  for some time to come  and more gametime under my belt.
Well as a new player , I have only been playing a month.  I will tell you phaseshifter's advice is good and sound,   I only wish I had asked here before buying cards.    I was given the advice of buying the deckbuilding toolkit and its not for new player's.  

You would be extremely lucky to replicate any deck found online,  what you would most likely end up with is a bunch of mish mash cards trying to make a deck.

Not to mention without a purpose and reason for a deck then your not really learning the mechanics of game.

After reading phaseshifter's response to you the other day I went out and bought both event decks he mentioned,  hold the line and infect and defile.

My enjoyment of the game for one has increased greatly,  Im drawing hands and able to formulate a gameplan now for one  and getting a better understanding of the synergy between the cards.   

And as mentioned the cards included in these decks are excellent base's for other decks,  but personally I do not see making many changes other than rotating in the side boards  for some time to come  and more gametime under my belt.

Glad I could help

Hope what you got in the deckbuilder's toolkit can help you make something new when you want something new to play with.