You're being attacked by the letter 'G'...

86 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have a problem with the gaming group I'm in.  I go to a weekly game day at the local comic book store.  We have multiple DMs... the DM to whom I'm assigned is, for the most part, really good.  He knows the rules inside out (I think he might have a photographic memory), and he is very patient with any newbies that come into the group.  He's reliable, unlike some of the DMs who might come only every couple of weeks.  So, overall, he's a good DM.

However, there is one thorn that is sticking in my side... he uses one of those wet-erase battlemaps, which is fine, as that is what everyone else is using.  The problem is that he is also using markers for the monsters.  No tokens, no miniatures... when we enter a room in the dungeon, we aren't confronted with five zombies, two skeletons, and a wraith, we're confronted by five letter 'L's, two 'F's, and a 'B'.  The letters usually don't have anything to do with the names of the creatures.

After a few weekends of this immersion-draining technique, I assumed that he just didn't have anything to use other than the markers, so I decided to help him out... I bought the Monster Vault, and before we started our session, I said, "Hey, I went ahead and brought some tokens for you to use."  I was pretty stunned when he said he didn't want to use them; he said that without the letters, he couldn't keep track of their hit points.  My guess is that he is using some kind of computer software to keep track of hit points, and this is why the monsters' representations have nothing to do with their names; they are just "Monster A", "Monster B", "Monster C", etc.

I'm wondering how to get around this, as it's a bit of a buzzkill to watch all the other groups enjoying visually exciting combat while I'm being attacked by the alphabet.  I'm not one of those people who likes group-hopping, so I'd prefer to stay with him, but on the other hand, he seems to be a bit rigid about this.

Any suggestions?
Some people are just strapped for cash.   May I suggest buying a 1" circular hole puncher and donating it to him?   Even better start him off with a bunch of tokens!     Spare gaming cards (Magic, LoTR, etc etc) make excellent tokens.   

Maybe he will take to it.  Maybe not...  just an idea.  
------------ http://twitter.com/#!/combatadvantage http://www.combatadvantage.com
If you can't fight it, wallow in it.

You're on the right track with your subject line. Build a PC based on a Sesame Street character, and play that origin hard. "Oh wow, I'm being attacked by the letter G. I have (interrupt power), and I'm going to try to hit the letter G with the number 23. Does the letter G have a Will defense higher than 23?" 

(Sorry, never watched much Sesame Street - it was too stupid to hold our kids' attention. And I understand it has gotten worse.)

Note: do NOT play this character EVERY session! 
"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
www.aleatools.com/Conversion-Circles-p/t...

That's the one I got.   I was obsessed with making tokens for a while.  :o)
------------ http://twitter.com/#!/combatadvantage http://www.combatadvantage.com
For minis, in our gaming cirlce, we tend to use little stickers to mark the bases as different colors. On tokens, many of them are numbered to help keep track of hp. Your goal is to sell him on how much easier his life will be if he adopts one of these strategies.

Talk it up "Man these new tokens looks so cool, and I love WOTC numbered them to make it easier...' etc.

I've played with a DM who used lettered corks from discarded wine bottles, so I know your pain.
For those that didn't notice, the OP said that he brought tokens to the game and they were soundly rejected for ridiculous reasons.

Here's my suggestion - get a bunch of cheap D&D minis(commons, at least, are still cheap), a small hobby drill, some paper clips, and a pack of tiny post-it strips. Next, go all A-Team on those minis. Drill a hole in the base, bend one section of the paper clip straight, and glue the paper clip into the base like a standard. When gametime comes around, create labels for the different monsters based on his alphabet system. Put the label in the paper clip, and thrown down those minis. Immersion and utility - Genius!
www.aleatools.com/Conversion-Circles-p/t...

That's the one I got.   I was obsessed with making tokens for a while.  :o)

What I do is print out tokens (I bought a bunch of the jpeg tokens available on Drive-through RPG, I can't remember the company that makes them). I drag them into powerpoint, put little circles with numbers or letters on them, print them on cardstock, and cut them apart. If I have time, I print them two-sided, with the reverse side having their ID in red to represent bloody.
Another low-cost alternative is some reasonably sturdy paper, folded into a tent. You probably won't be able to write long monster names on them but you'll probably have room for something like "Gob" for goblin. The single-letter use on the map itself is probably just that it's much less work to write and erase over and over.
Honestly OP...not really sure what to tell ya.  I mean you don't like what the DM is using so really the best advice would be to leave the game and go to a DM that uses miniatures or whatever floats your boat.

No offense, really.  But it just seems like you have a particular mind set about this.  Kinda curious though because you voice your annoyance about the DM using letters to represent the monsters.  Yet you went out and bought the Monster Vault and offered simple tokens.  Now I'm not familiar enough with the tokens, so maybe the tokens have pictures of the monsters or something on them and that's why you offered them.  But to me when I hear tokens I think either round little pieces of colored cardboard, or those clear fake gem things that're used in flower vases all the time.  So to me the tokens don't seem any different than what the DM is already using.

The key really seems to be that you find you're unable to immerse yourself in the game if the monsters aren't represented on the mat with matching pieces.  And that's fine I guess for you, if that's how you are that's how you are.  Our group uses miniatures on the mat, and more often than not we do not use matching pieces.  We may be facing a group of zombies and the pieces on the mat are a collection of elves, elementals, monsters, people, etc.  It really doesn't matter what pieces we know what the monsters are.

The problem really isn't the DM, but you.  You can get past the letters representing monsters.  Though "problem" may be the wrong word...issue would probably be better.  Because the real issue isn't that the DM likes to use letters to represent monsters, it's that you can't see the monsters.  If the DM has four "B's" and two "C's" on the mat and says the "B's" are zombies and the "C's" are skeletons you can't see them, just the letters.  Okay, again though how do the tokens you bought make any difference?  Like I said unless the tokens have pictures of the monsters, then they're really no different than the letters the DM chooses.

And on the note of tokens, honestly I'm in support of the DM.  Not saying that you're intentions may have good natured, but look at it this way.  The DM has been doing his game this way for however long.  And maybe this isn't his first game, I'm just going to assume he's done a couple games before probably all using the letters to represent monsters.  Suddenly right before the game you walk up to him and go to hand him the tokens saying, "Hey, I went ahead and brought some tokens for you to use."

I bet the DM felt insulted which could've caused him to respond the way he did.  I mean you just come up to him right before the game, out of the blue and basically told him that you felt his techniques weren't good enough.  That you felt he wasn't doing a good enough job and that he should take your handout to do better.  Could be wrong, don't know the guy but that's a possibility I see here in your post.  Instead of talking to the DM outside of the game, and not just right before, to maybe get an understanding of his point of view you instead go out and buy tokens(still don't get how these are any better), and practically shove them at the DM out of the blue and tell him you bought these for him to use instead.

Blindsided.  And on top of that you then post here complaining about the DM just because he uses letters instead of miniatures or your tokens you bought and want to know how to "get around this?"  I'm going to be mean here, and say use your bloody imagination.  That's what the game is about, using your imagination.  If you can imagine a skeleton or whatever monster on the field attacking your character then I have no idea what to tell you.  But again I can't get my head around why you feel tokens are better then letters at representing monsters since they're basically the same things.  And yeah, the DM probably has an entire system whether a program or not doesn't matter.  Not to mention again you blindsided him with the tokens right before the game.  Do you really think that he was just going to drop his system at the last minute for your tokens?  He probably had at the very least all the battles of that particular game planned out and set up ahead of time and would then have to go back and rework everything which would've taken time that he probably didn't want to spend when it would be at the sacrifice of the game.

Again, the real issue isn't that the DM is using letters to represent skeletons and whatnot, it's that you simply don't like it.  You want the board to be set up with the monsters that you're facing against.  You don't want to be told that the "B's" are zombies, you want four zombies sitting on the mat.  And if that interferes with your "immersion" of the game, then really again you need to go to a different DM that uses such pieces instead of feeling that this DM is somehow a stubborn, stiff neck who's in the wrong.  Or like I said, ask to talk to him after a game, where there's plenty of time to talk and just speak with him.  Maybe if you didn't try surprising and blindsiding him he may actually be open to using the tokens(for whatever reason).  Just talk to him without the constraints of a game starting and you'll probably have a better time of it.

Dranack-
Yeah the OP brought tokens, but like I said from the way he tells the story he blindsided the DM right before the game with them without talking to him or even trying to find out why the DM prefers using letters.  They weren't shot down for "ridiculous reasons".  The DM had his system and the battles probably already planned out his way and suddenly being handed these tokens and told that these were for him to use would've probably been a pain for him to change things up.  And probably could've been construed as insulting to a degree or at least annoying.                
Get some clear laminate with an adhesive back and a gloss surface, like they use for security cards or laminating textbook covers.  Get a hole punch and a sheet of white paper. 

- Punch a bunch of little white circles.

- lay one circle on the top of each monster token.

- Laminate the tops of the tokens, with the little white paper circle under the laminate.  Cover the whole token.

- Encourage your DM to write the letters that correspond to the monsters in his fight tracking program on the white circles in dry erase pen.  You get to see the monster, he gets to see his letter, and when you're done you wipe off the letter.         
"When Friday comes, we'll all call rats fish." D&D Outsider
Honestly OP...not really sure what to tell ya.  I mean you don't like what the DM is using so really the best advice would be to leave the game and go to a DM that uses miniatures or whatever floats your boat.

No offense, really.  But it just seems like you have a particular mind set about this.  Kinda curious though because you voice your annoyance about the DM using letters to represent the monsters.  Yet you went out and bought the Monster Vault and offered simple tokens.  Now I'm not familiar enough with the tokens, so maybe the tokens have pictures of the monsters or something on them and that's why you offered them.  But to me when I hear tokens I think either round little pieces of colored cardboard, or those clear fake gem things that're used in flower vases all the time.  So to me the tokens don't seem any different than what the DM is already using.

The key really seems to be that you find you're unable to immerse yourself in the game if the monsters aren't represented on the mat with matching pieces.  And that's fine I guess for you, if that's how you are that's how you are.  Our group uses miniatures on the mat, and more often than not we do not use matching pieces.  We may be facing a group of zombies and the pieces on the mat are a collection of elves, elementals, monsters, people, etc.  It really doesn't matter what pieces we know what the monsters are.

The problem really isn't the DM, but you.  You can get past the letters representing monsters.  Though "problem" may be the wrong word...issue would probably be better.  Because the real issue isn't that the DM likes to use letters to represent monsters, it's that you can't see the monsters.  If the DM has four "B's" and two "C's" on the mat and says the "B's" are zombies and the "C's" are skeletons you can't see them, just the letters.  Okay, again though how do the tokens you bought make any difference?  Like I said unless the tokens have pictures of the monsters, then they're really no different than the letters the DM chooses.

And on the note of tokens, honestly I'm in support of the DM.  Not saying that you're intentions may have good natured, but look at it this way.  The DM has been doing his game this way for however long.  And maybe this isn't his first game, I'm just going to assume he's done a couple games before probably all using the letters to represent monsters.  Suddenly right before the game you walk up to him and go to hand him the tokens saying, "Hey, I went ahead and brought some tokens for you to use."

I bet the DM felt insulted which could've caused him to respond the way he did.  I mean you just come up to him right before the game, out of the blue and basically told him that you felt his techniques weren't good enough.  That you felt he wasn't doing a good enough job and that he should take your handout to do better.  Could be wrong, don't know the guy but that's a possibility I see here in your post.  Instead of talking to the DM outside of the game, and not just right before, to maybe get an understanding of his point of view you instead go out and buy tokens(still don't get how these are any better), and practically shove them at the DM out of the blue and tell him you bought these for him to use instead.

Blindsided.  And on top of that you then post here complaining about the DM just because he uses letters instead of miniatures or your tokens you bought and want to know how to "get around this?"  I'm going to be mean here, and say use your bloody imagination.  That's what the game is about, using your imagination.  If you can imagine a skeleton or whatever monster on the field attacking your character then I have no idea what to tell you.  But again I can't get my head around why you feel tokens are better then letters at representing monsters since they're basically the same things.  And yeah, the DM probably has an entire system whether a program or not doesn't matter.  Not to mention again you blindsided him with the tokens right before the game.  Do you really think that he was just going to drop his system at the last minute for your tokens?  He probably had at the very least all the battles of that particular game planned out and set up ahead of time and would then have to go back and rework everything which would've taken time that he probably didn't want to spend when it would be at the sacrifice of the game.

Again, the real issue isn't that the DM is using letters to represent skeletons and whatnot, it's that you simply don't like it.  You want the board to be set up with the monsters that you're facing against.  You don't want to be told that the "B's" are zombies, you want four zombies sitting on the mat.  And if that interferes with your "immersion" of the game, then really again you need to go to a different DM that uses such pieces instead of feeling that this DM is somehow a stubborn, stiff neck who's in the wrong.  Or like I said, ask to talk to him after a game, where there's plenty of time to talk and just speak with him.  Maybe if you didn't try surprising and blindsiding him he may actually be open to using the tokens(for whatever reason).  Just talk to him without the constraints of a game starting and you'll probably have a better time of it.

Dranack-
Yeah the OP brought tokens, but like I said from the way he tells the story he blindsided the DM right before the game with them without talking to him or even trying to find out why the DM prefers using letters.  They weren't shot down for "ridiculous reasons".  The DM had his system and the battles probably already planned out his way and suddenly being handed these tokens and told that these were for him to use would've probably been a pain for him to change things up.  And probably could've been construed as insulting to a degree or at least annoying.                

There are pictures of the monsters on them.  They don't have every single monster in existence, but there are hundreds of them, so they can at least be used to represent similar monsters (ghosts for specters, goblins for some other humanoid race, etc.).  We use similar tokens for the characters (also complements of me), and it works very well... everyone at the table knows which character is which; if we used initials, I can guarantee that the players would occasionally pause and say, "What's your character's first name?  I can't remember which letter you are."

I played years of 1st edition without using miniatures, so the problem is not that I "can't" visualize the monsters, it's that 4th edition rules seem to be written with the assumption that you are using either miniatures or tokens.  It's a tactical game, not a roguelike, and it's challenging to think of tactics without bogging the game down when you and all of the other players (it isn't just me) have to keep asking "I want to target the flying creature... which one is the bat?  I remember it started over in that corner, so I know it's either 'B', 'G', or 'L'."  That happens in almost every battle, and, again, it is not just me who asks that, it is all of the players.  The DM's descriptions of the monsters are great, so we know what the monsters look like, we can visualize them, we just keep getting confused because we don't have photographic memories that remind us that the flying monster is the letter 'J'.

I think you're blowing things WAY out of proportion.  I'm trying to improve the game for everyone...  I have yet to DM 4E, as I only recently started playing it, but I DM'd for years, and I always tried to accomodate players' ideas for improving the game, as happy players make for happier DMs.  You make it sound like I hate my DM, which is not the case.  I'm just saying that I think it could make an A- game into an A+ game.  I would have been perfectly happy if he had said, "Well, the way I'm running things right now, they won't work, but maybe we can throw some ideas at each other and figure out something that works for both of us."  I guess I'm just a little peeved that it was shot down unilaterally.
Just need to find a way to put letter's on tokens/mini's.

Then you're attacked by "goblin J".  And everyone is happy.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

There are pictures of the monsters on them.  They don't have every single monster in existence, but there are hundreds of them, so they can at least be used to represent similar monsters (ghosts for specters, goblins for some other humanoid race, etc.).  We use similar tokens for the characters (also complements of me), and it works very well... everyone at the table knows which character is which; if we used initials, I can guarantee that the players would occasionally pause and say, "What's your character's first name?  I can't remember which letter you are."

I played years of 1st edition without using miniatures, so the problem is not that I "can't" visualize the monsters, it's that 4th edition rules seem to be written with the assumption that you are using either miniatures or tokens.  It's a tactical game, not a roguelike, and it's challenging to think of tactics without bogging the game down when you and all of the other players (it isn't just me) have to keep asking "I want to target the flying creature... which one is the bat?  I remember it started over in that corner, so I know it's either 'B', 'G', or 'L'."  That happens in almost every battle, and, again, it is not just me who asks that, it is all of the players.  The DM's descriptions of the monsters are great, so we know what the monsters look like, we can visualize them, we just keep getting confused because we don't have photographic memories that remind us that the flying monster is the letter 'J'.

I think you're blowing things WAY out of proportion.  I'm trying to improve the game for everyone...  I have yet to DM 4E, as I only recently started playing it, but I DM'd for years, and I always tried to accomodate players' ideas for improving the game, as happy players make for happier DMs.  You make it sound like I hate my DM, which is not the case.  I'm just saying that I think it could make an A- game into an A+ game.  I would have been perfectly happy if he had said, "Well, the way I'm running things right now, they won't work, but maybe we can throw some ideas at each other and figure out something that works for both of us."  I guess I'm just a little peeved that it was shot down unilaterally.

Alright, so pics on the tokens.  Good to know.  And I didn't say it sounded like you hated him, just the way you told your story you sounded aggrevated at the DM because he uses letters instead of tokens or miniatures.  I can understand though your annoyance at being told no to your idea.  Doesn't change the fact that it sounds like you blindsided him before the game which probably was why he didn't sit down and chat with you about it.  Or maybe something else was going on that day and he was stressed, who knows.

You didn't mention that it's basically everyone of the group that is getting confused or whatever.  In that case, why not sit down or call the group and decide to get there early or something so you can talk to the DM.  Ask him to get there early so you can all chat, or maybe meet up outside of where you game if it's at a store or whatever.  That way you can all chat together and maybe work out something.  To me that's the best option.  Or if you don't want to do that move to a different game or just go with it.   
We have a pretty fancy setup with a projector mounted to the ceiling and the gaming table is painted white. Most of us use a marker and write on the table directly (in our own space) for traking our HPs, HSs, current status effects, etc. The DM uses MapTools for background and main terrain features. We use minis, and just write next to each monster the number/letter so the DM can track it easier. When the monster moves, just erase and re-write the number/letter as needed.

In your situation, you want more immersion, and the bland tokens aren't enough for you. mellored has the right of it. maybe use colored sticky notes (just the sticky part cut into small squares) with letters on it so the DM can track which is which, but leave most of the picture still visible.

Magic Dual Color Test
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and sheepish.
Read closer, the DM is writing the letters directly on the battlemat. He's NOT using tokens with letters on them.
Ahh, so THIS is where I can add a sig. Remember: Killing an ancient God inside of a pyramid IS a Special Occasion, and thus, ladies should be dipping into their Special Occasions underwear drawer.
1. Ask your DM to use more appropriate letters.

2. Write a little legend at the corner of the battle map, or on scrap paper, every combat to remind you of which letters are which monsters. J = GOBLIN; Q = ELF; etc. 
I would recommend a compromise with the DM. Ask him to atleast use a lettering scheme to make the monsters identifiable. For example, use G1, G2, and G3 for 3 goblins.

Any Edition

We have a pretty fancy setup with a projector mounted to the ceiling and the gaming table is painted white. Most of us use a marker and write on the table directly (in our own space) for traking our HPs, HSs, current status effects, etc. The DM uses MapTools for background and main terrain features. We use minis, and just write next to each monster the number/letter so the DM can track it easier. When the monster moves, just erase and re-write the number/letter as needed.

In your situation, you want more immersion, and the bland tokens aren't enough for you. mellored has the right of it. maybe use colored sticky notes (just the sticky part cut into small squares) with letters on it so the DM can track which is which, but leave most of the picture still visible.

Wow.  Just wow.  Jealous!

Wow.  Just wow.  Jealous!

I am one of the DMs that use this set up and it is very cool.

Any Edition

Letters (like Scrabble tiles) on tokens works, but blocks the view of the token. 

One option that can work is TWO MAPS.  He maintains a small one next to him on a (paper sized?) sheet, and you (or another player) do it the way you like it on a big map.  This is more total work, but it is actually easier on the DM, and gives players a bit more to do to keep them involved.  It works best when the DM and players are ok with a bit of inconsistency ("Oh, you put it there?  It should have been one over.  [That works.../Can you move it one over?]")  It doesn't work if people get very worked up if something gets shifted around a bit (which may cause things like flanking, etc...) to get messed up.

Another option: Go out and find yourself a bunch of different colored 1 inch poker chips/etc...  Between different colors, different shapes, etc...  you can get a wide number of cominations.  The DM may be able to use these beneath tiles to separate monsters for his purposes while you use tokens/figures.

A last option: Flags.  There are flags out there to be found that have clear bases.  You can put lables with letters on them.  Stick the flags on the map and put tokens beneath them.     

D&D & Boardgames If I have everything I need to run great games for many years without repeating stuff, why do I need to buy anything right now?
...I'm wondering how to get around this, as it's a bit of a buzzkill to watch all the other groups enjoying visually exciting combat while I'm being attacked by the alphabet...

I don't have a solution to your problem, but thank you so much for the laugh I got from reading the above sentence. Laughing

I have some sympathy for the DM here.  When you have 3 each of 3 types, it can be hard to keep track of which one is getting pounded on.  Figures are great, but remembering which is which of 9 figures is not that easy.  Letters are much easier to keep track of.  I'd rather use figures myself and every so often damage the wrong monster, but there is much to be said for a system that allows him to avoid such errors.

Well then; there's a simple answer to this problem.
I'll give you a hint.  It involves YOU, a piece of scratch paper, & a pencil....

How much did that whole setup set you back? 
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]

How much did that whole setup set you back? 

It isn't his setup. Our gracious host is responsible for it. The only real expense is the projector. He did his own mounting and the table is bathroom wall paneling I believe.

Any Edition

Perhaps something like this: On the side of the map draw a legend for each letter. Next to the zombies, put a zombie figure. Next to the bats, put a bat figure. Now everyone can look at the legend and get a visual clue as to what it is they are trying to destroy.
I often see Dms putting little colored stickers on the bases of the miniatures they use. So they can write down "Blue orc" and "Yellow orc" and not get them confused. Maybe this helps. 

...although I personally think you're acting waaay too entitled here. Sorry. Let the DM run his game the way he likes, and when you offer feedback, try to be constructive. That will go a long way to the other person accepting your criticism and acting on it.
...although I personally think you're acting waaay too entitled here. Sorry. Let the DM run his game the way he likes, and when you offer feedback, try to be constructive. That will go a long way to the other person accepting your criticism and acting on it.

Entitlement isn't the issue here. The DMs approach is interfering with the players sense of immersion. At the most basic level, the player could just change DMs to one that matches his playstyle better. He would prefer to compromise with the DM, as that playstyle is affecting the entire group, not just himself. Many of the suggestions so far have been pretty reasonable alternatives to help the DM manage tracking the monsters without resorting to letters that have no associations with the monsters.

Magic Dual Color Test
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and sheepish.

Entitlement isn't the issue here. The DMs approach is interfering with the players sense of immersion. At the most basic level, the player could just change DMs to one that matches his playstyle better. He would prefer to compromise with the DM, as that playstyle is affecting the entire group, not just himself. Many of the suggestions so far have been pretty reasonable alternatives to help the DM manage tracking the monsters without resorting to letters that have no associations with the monsters.

And for the record, I'm not asking for anything I wouldn't do myself if the spots were switched... I plan on running a game this summer, and one of the first things I'm going to tell the players is to let me know what changes they would like at any time.

And I do plan on asking my DM to be one of my players... I like the guy, he's fun to game with.
My group has come up with what I think is an awesome system (I wish I could take credit for it), it does take a little more time for the DM but I really think it works well.

Essentially, the DM creates his own tokens prior to each dungeon. I usually use google images and the monster manuals to find pictures which I shrink to be 1 inch circles. When they are printed I use a 1 inch hole punch to quickly punch them out and then I glue them to a washer (you can buy 1 inch washers for about 12 cents a piece). This gives the tokens some weight and prevents them from being easy knocked (or blown) around.

So how do we tell which monster is which (other than the pictures)? I put a border around each monster. I have about 12 borders to choose from (Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, light blue, black, white, brown, gray, black) so when I create encounters I just make sure I don't have 2 monsters that are the same color border. I can quickly make note of which monster is which based on the color and there is still the picture to give the immersion.
I just make miniatures of my own for use in the Encounters games I DM. Some of the sets I've made are posted on my deviantart page, which is listed in my sig.
"Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” ~Mark Twain

And for the record, I'm not asking for anything I wouldn't do myself if the spots were switched... I plan on running a game this summer, and one of the first things I'm going to tell the players is to let me know what changes they would like at any time.

Entitlement or not, he's allowed to run the game the way he want's.

Tokens where a very nice gesture, but the didn't fix the issue.  Mainly, he want's letters to keep track of stuff, and you want pictures for immersion.

No real reason you couldn't have both though...  pictures with letters on them is achiveable in a variety of ways.

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I'm more on the OP's side than the DM's.   Drawing letters on the map is not just immersion killing, it's incredibly lazy.   If he can't keep track of which monster is which, he is simply not very skilled in that aspect of DM'ing.  

I use simplistic paper-glued-to-cardboard minis that you can make for free.  I use little plastic rings for ongoing damage, and any DM worth his salt should be able to track the hp of at least a dozen monsters without difficulty.   I totally do not buy "I need this to be a G so I can track" b.s.   Lazy, lazy, lazy.
I'm more on the OP's side than the DM's.   Drawing letters on the map is not just immersion killing, it's incredibly lazy.   If he can't keep track of which monster is which, he is simply not very skilled in that aspect of DM'ing.  

I use simplistic paper-glued-to-cardboard minis that you can make for free.  I use little plastic rings for ongoing damage, and any DM worth his salt should be able to track the hp of at least a dozen monsters without difficulty.   I totally do not buy "I need this to be a G so I can track" b.s.   Lazy, lazy, lazy.

No... 

Some people just can't keep track of that many things without help, or have difficulty with numbers.  There's no reason he should be kicked out of his DM seat because of it.  Especially if he's good at the other aspects of DMing (story telling, voices, ect..).

And IMO (obviously your optinions are different) i'd rather have a faster game with letters then a slower game with pictures.  So any tool that speeds up rolling/math/ect... even at the cost of immersion is welcome in my book.

guides
Power
my builds

No... 

Some people just can't keep track of that many things without help, or have difficulty with numbers.  There's no reason he should be kicked out of his DM seat because of it.  Especially if he's good at the other aspects of DMing (story telling, voices, ect..).

And IMO (obviously your optinions are different) i'd rather have a faster game with letters then a slower game with pictures.  So any tool that speeds up rolling/math/ect... even at the cost of immersion is welcome in my book.

To each his own.   I never suggested he should be booted from the DM's seat, but he should be strongly encouraged to practice tracking and not lessen his player's experience because of his own limitations.   Using 3d minis does not slow my game down any more than his method would.  
Consider, if one of his "G"s gets pushed, he now has to erase and redraw that G, instead of simply sliding the mini an inch.

Consider, if one of his "G"s gets pushed, he now has to erase and redraw that G, instead of simply sliding the mini an inch.

That i agree with.  Tokens/mini's are faster then redrawing letters.

Which is really why i really think the solution is tokens with letters and pictures (or mini's with letter's, or any other combination).

guides
Power
my builds

I think the OP's complaint isn't remotely worth consideration. If he doesn't like the DM's presentation, he should just not play at that table, or better yet, go to the organizer and volunteer to do some DMing himself.
I think the OP's complaint isn't remotely worth consideration. If he doesn't like the DM's presentation, he should just not play at that table, or better yet, go to the organizer and volunteer to do some DMing himself.

OR try and come up with a solution that suits everyone.

Which is what he did do.  And should be applauded  for the thought and effort, even if it didn't work.

guides
Power
my builds

Which is what he did do.  And should be applauded  for the thought and effort, even if it didn't work.

No. He should absolutely not be applauded for complaining about a volunteer who is putting forth his time and effort because his precious immersion is broken. He should be berated and ridiculed for making this complaint in the first place.

No. He should absolutely not be applauded for complaining about a volunteer who is putting forth his time and effort because his precious immersion is broken. He should be berated and ridiculed for making this complaint in the first place.

I think you missed this part...

I bought the Monster Vault, and before we started our session, I said, "Hey, I went ahead and brought some tokens for you to use."

So yea, he went out and did something.

Didn't solve the problem, but he didn't just "complain".

guides
Power
my builds

I was hoping we'd abandon the whole "I'm doing you a favor by being your dungeon master" routine with this edition.  Alas.
"When Friday comes, we'll all call rats fish." D&D Outsider