Movie: Book of Vile Darkness Dec 2011

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wasn't the movie Book of Vile Darkness releasing in December 2011 ?

Any news ? 

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Every single copy spontaneously combusted.

Hopefully.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die......

(I'm saying that evil that....evil cannot be destroyed. They are lurking, Space Invader.....) 

Gold is for the mistress, silver for the maid

Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.

"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,

"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all." -Kipling

Miss d20 Modern? Take a look at Dias Ex Machina Game's UltraModern 4e!

57019168 wrote:
I am a hero, not a chump.
Stop that, before you drain me of my sanity.
Every single copy spontaneously combusted.

Hopefully.

Heh heh Laughing
I didn't see anything on Syfy's site about it.
RS: 60/60 CS: 60/60 RotS: 60/60 U:60/60 CotF: 60/60 BH: 60/60 A&E: 51/60 TFU: 53/60 LotF: 37/60 KotOR: 37/60 CW: 26/40 IE: 31/40 JA: 17/40 G@W: 7/40 DT: 7/40 Good trades with: Lily_Wan, creme_brule, suki_jedi_apprentice, Ephant_Mon
They initially said they were delaying the Book of Vile Darkness to coincide with the TV-movie of the same name. But I think they realized, like the Neverwinter video game, these things are slow and oft-delayed, while their schedual is small and unforgiving. So they likely opted to release in December, hoping it would be finished and released prior. Heck, it was initially meant to be released in 2011.

It's probably a collosal stinker, and Syfy is holding onto it as last-minute filler.  

It's a shame that a bad TV movie, third in the series of terrible, terrible movies, is so big that the company still wants to do cross-promotion. Kinda shows the state of the gaming industry... 

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.

The real shame is that it seems to me that a decent D&D movie would not be that difficult.  There are hugely creative people on staff who know how to write a strong, engaging story with good, lively characters.

But they go and make a movie about the BoVD.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
I didn't see anything on Syfy's site about it.

Thanks.

I am interested in seeing it before making myself an negative opinion of it. I know Chris Perkins worked closely with the Directors on some part of it and it may not end up as bad as many people keep saying who knows !   

Yan
Montréal, Canada

It's probably a collosal stinker, and Syfy is holding onto it as last-minute filler.  

It's a shame that a bad TV movie, third in the series of terrible, terrible movies, is so big that the company still wants to do cross-promotion. Kinda shows the state of the gaming industry... 

Well, now, let's reserve judgement here.  Yes, Syfy produces campy things like Sharktopus, but those kinds of movies are intentionally campy. And yes, the first attempts at D&D movies were abhorrent.

But this channel has given us GREAT movies in the past.  Ever see Frank Herbert's Dune?  That's the "official" title for the one that came out in 2000.  WAY better than Sting's version in the 70s.  4 hours long, and phenomenal.  Children of Dune was passing well, too.

I, for one, am witholding judgement until it's here.
You do raise a good point. Wrath of the Dragon God was better than the first movie. It still sucked horrible, but it was an improvement.

I just want to know when it'll premier on Sci-Fi, so I can organize a movie night with my group. 

57019168 wrote:

A filler for what?? 
Virtually everything they make is filler materiel.....And they show it over & over & over.

A filler for what?? 
Virtually everything they make is filler materiel.....And they show it over & over & over.

Filler for when there's an unplanned gap in the schedule, such as something not being finished or technical delays. Or maybe it's not finished in post-production yet. Or maybe it's so bad that even they don't want to show it. It's written by the same dude who wrote the last two (IIRC) so I wouldn't hold out hope.

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.

Are you all crazy? The original movie had an entire major character who's name was simly "Dwarf"!!!! What's better than that?  Laughing
You do raise a good point. Wrath of the Dragon God was better than the first movie. It still sucked horrible, but it was an improvement.

i will attribute that judgement to the fact that it's much easier to grab a six pack at home than in a movie theater.
Are you all crazy? The original movie had an entire major character who's name was simly "Dwarf"!!!! What's better than that? 

The original movie had Jeremy Irons chewing the scenery, which was hilarious in all the wrong ways.  Other than that, it was terrible.
Are you all crazy? The original movie had an entire major character who's name was simly "Dwarf"!!!! What's better than that? 

The original movie had Jeremy Irons chewing the scenery, which was hilarious in all the wrong ways.  Other than that, it was terrible.

It reminds me, I googled across a husband-and-wife team of movie critics. They noted the original Dungeons & Dragons movie remains on the cultural radar. They had to ask, maybe “its so bad its good”, with a kind of campy charm. So they went to see it. And decided, no, its just bad. Heh.

LOL! For some reason, Jeremy Irons, continues to get a free pass, despite the fact he partipated in this movie. If that isnt Charisma, I dont know what is.

Anyway, with regard to the new D&D movie, Vile Darkness. I have a very high tolerance for the scifi genre, and when it comes out, Im going to watch it avidly, and love it, whether its great or awkward.
Great actors in crap movies solely for the money are generally hilariously awesome.  Jeremy Irons does it a lot actually - he's the best bit of Eragon, for instance.  And Ben Kingsley is reputedly hilariously awesome in Bloodrayne, Bill Nighy in Underworld etc etc etc.  I love watching a fantastic actor ham it up as hard as he possibly can because he knows he's in a terrible movie, so he might as well have a laugh with it.  You can see it in Jeremy Irons' every move in the D&D movie that he's just having a laugh.

Or maybe it's so bad that even they don't want to show it.

Is that even possible with SyFy?  Some of the rubbish they show makes Battlefield Earth look watchable.  I don't know how that network stays on the air/wire.

TjD

i will attribute that judgement to the fact that it's much easier to grab a six pack at home than in a movie theater.

Six pack? I prefer hard liquor and stuff to mix it with. Also, a bottle of the "little water" has a lot more alcohol in it than a 6 pack (or even a case).

57019168 wrote:
Six pack? I prefer hard liquor and stuff to mix it with. Also, a bottle of the "little water" has a lot more alcohol in it than a 6 pack (or even a case).

My apologies. I did not mean to offend.
Where is everyone getting that this will be a SyFy release? Dates I've seen so far are 2011, Dec. 31, 2011 (SyFy), 2012
Dunno the date, but IMDB has images of some the characters, which makes it look like its going to be really hamtastically ridiculously hilariously godawful. 

But I still want to see it.  >_<

To see the pictures, look amidst the listed actor's pictures.  Main cast members Akordia (Eleanor Geck), Bezz (Barry Aird), Seith (Lex Daniel), and Vimak (Habib Nasib Nader) at least have photos from the movie in there. 

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

We have from IMBd www.imdb.com/title/tt1733125/

Akordia (Eleanor Geck):

Eleanor Gecks

Bezz (Barry Aird):

Dungeons and Dragons 2011

Vimak (Habib Nasib Nader):

Habib Nasib Nader

Seith (Lex Daniel):
Lex Daniel

Yan
Montréal, Canada

I just saw Thor the other day and kinda died a little bit inside so I don't think I'm going to subject myself intentionally to this film at this time.  Besides, the suicide help hotline is usually overwhelmed during the holidays.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Hey now, Thor was a good movie.
Akordia (Eleanor Geck):

Eleanor Gecks

I have a thing for pale-skinned brunettes with excessive facial piercings, so this movie just became a must-see for me.

(Why, yes: shadar-kai are indeed one of my favourite races. Why do you ask?)

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

I have a thing for pale-skinned brunettes with excessive facial piercings, so this movie just became a must-see for me.

Cool new Avatar Dusky

We should try to start guessing what the Heroes will be. Vimak look like a Goliath Warden to me. Akordia a Shadar-kai Thief or Warlock perhaps, Beez a Human Nethermancer and Seith a Human Blackguard or Fighter.

(Somehow the original image i pasted are now but boxed red X's )    

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Thanks for the picture tip ;)  Lex seems to really like his role. I wonder why all the hush on the release of this film? Was this like a bet that they had to make it, but they're trying to keep the fact that it will be released out of the spot light so as few as people possible will see? Good or bad, I want to watch this film!

Is that even possible with SyFy?  Some of the rubbish they show makes Battlefield Earth look watchable.  I don't know how that network stays on the air/wire.

TjD

Oh come on it has some good stuff like Warehouse 13 and.....Stargate Universe! Wait no that one was cancelled. Uh, Eureka. No that one has been dead to me since season 4. Sanctuary! No wait that one got bad after season 1. Uhhhh SG1 reruns and classic scifi reruns! That is about all I got. >.>

Where is everyone getting that this will be a SyFy release? Dates I've seen so far are 2011, Dec. 31, 2011 (SyFy), 2012

It was mentioned in one of the early announcments for the movie that it would be a Syfy channel movie.

Dungeons and Dragons 4

(working title) — September 2012 — A princess and a rogue knight become reluctant heroes inside a magical kingdom. A production of After Dark Films with Silver Pictures.

A little something I dug up on the SyFy channel website.

RE: D&D4: Wow, that's quick. I'm just hoping that they aren't releasing two films in a row that both turn out complete failures.

In regards to IMDB's Book of Vile Darkness page: It lists the film as the next in line after "Dungeons and Dragons" - the first one, with Jeremy Irons. That seems... odd...
RE: D&D4: Wow, that's quick. I'm just hoping that they aren't releasing two films in a row that both turn out complete failures.

They are releasing them on Syfy channel, I think that means they have already just given up on making good sucessful movies.
I just saw the movie and it still better then the first one! I like the gritty vibe of this one, never got to see the suplemment The Book of Vile Darkness myself but that's not really important...

as for the characters we have a shadar- kai witch she's cool and a cold heart bitch and the best character in the movie.

Grayson the wannabe Paladin of Pelor sucks but he gets by during the movie.

The Goliath was nicely done, and he was a Warden, not easy to cast a 7ft tall beast of a man, is it?!

We also have a Assassin on the party and a Nethermancer wizard, with a scar, there's some creppy stuff but I've seen worst movies in scifi to rate this 5/10 
How'd you get to see it? Did SyFy finally air it and forget to tell anyone?
RS: 60/60 CS: 60/60 RotS: 60/60 U:60/60 CotF: 60/60 BH: 60/60 A&E: 51/60 TFU: 53/60 LotF: 37/60 KotOR: 37/60 CW: 26/40 IE: 31/40 JA: 17/40 G@W: 7/40 DT: 7/40 Good trades with: Lily_Wan, creme_brule, suki_jedi_apprentice, Ephant_Mon