Warmage- An Arcane Striker that dosent suck

69 posts / 0 new
Last post
Well, I was updating a homebrew Roman/Fey heavy world to 4E, and I found that I needed a Warmage class.

So, here ya go:

Warmage

Class Traits

Role: Striker. You use devastating magical attacks to rip your enemies to shreds. You lean toward leader as a secondary role.
Power Source: Arcane and Martial. Where others rely on subtle control to defeat enemies, you…don’t.
Key Abilities: Charisma, Intelligence, Constitution.

Armor Proficiencies: Cloth, Leather, Hide, Chain, Light Shield
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple Melee, Simple Ranged
Implements: Weapons with which you are proficient with, Staffs and Wands.
Bonus to Defense: +1 Fortitude, +1 Reflex

Hit Points at 1st Level: 14 + Constitution score
Hit Points per Level Gained: 4
Healing Surges per Day: 7 + Constitution Modifier

Trained Skills: Arcana. Choose three more trained skills at first level from the following list:
Class Skills: Endurance (Con), Intimidate (Cha), History (Int), Athletics (Str), Diplomacy (Cha)

Class features

(Fluff)

Warmage Class Features:

Choose either:

Legionnaire
You gain proficiency all simple and military spears and polearms. You can enchant spears and polearms as staffs. When enchanted this way, you add the implement’s enhancement bonus to attack and damage as normal for a magic weapon, and you deal extra dice of damage on a critical hit as normal.
In addition you can use the Enchant Magic Item ritual, but only on polearms or spears.
You gain the Glorious Victory power

Skirmisher
You gain proficiency with all simple and military light and heavy blades.
In addition, whenever you move more than 2 squares on your turn, all heavy or light blades that you are wielding gain the Brutal 1 property.
You gain the power Cunning Strike.

Warmage Training
You have access to all Warmage at-will attack powers, however, when you roll initiative, choose two powers (three if you are human) You can only use these powers this encounter.
Level 21: Choose three powers (four if you are human)

Special: The powers Warmage Strike and Warmage Orb do not count against this limit.

Warmage Edge
(fluff)
Once per turn, when using a Warmage Implement attack power you may add your 2 + Intelligence Modifier or Constitution Modifier as extra damage
Once per turn, when using a Warmage Weapon attack, you may add your Intelligence Modifier or your Constitution Modifier as extra damage.
----

Glorious Victory---------------Warmage Utility
At-Will*Arcane, Martial
Free Action                   Close burst 5
Trigger: you drop an enemy to 0 hit points or less.
Effect: Each ally in the burst gains temporary hit points equal to your Constitution modifier.

Cunning Strike----------------Warmage Utility
At-Will*Arcane
Free Action                  Personal
Trigger: you bloody an enemy
Effect: You gain a bonus to damage rolls against that enemy equal to you Intelligence modifier until the end of your next turn.

[sblock=POWERS]

Warmage Strike-----Warmage attack 1
Your weapon flares with arcane light.
At-Will* Martial, Weapon, Varies (see text)
Standard action
Target: One creature-----Melee weapon
Attack: Charisma vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Charisma modifier Acid, Lightning, Fire, Cold, Sonic, Necrotic or Radiant damage
Special: This power is a melee basic attack.

Warmage Orb------Warmage Attack 1
You send an orb blazing with arcane fire at your enemy
At-Will* Arcane, Implement, Varies (see text)
Standard Action
Target: One creature-----Ranged 20
Attack: Charisma vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d10 + Charisma modifier Acid, Fire, Cold, Sonic or Lightning damage
Special: This power can be used as a ranged basic attack.

Bloodmage’s Coercion-----Warmage attack 1
To your enemy, your face appears as a fierce and terrible demon.
At-Will* Arcane, Weapon, Fear
Standard Action
Target: One Creature------Melee Weapon
Hit: 1[W] + Charisma modifier damage and you push the target 2 square.

Stance of the Legionnaire-----Warmage Attack 1
Let the enemy come to you, and break upon your bulwark.
Minor Action
At*Will* Martial, Stance
Personal
Effect: Until the stance ends, or you move more than half your speed on your turn, you gain damage resistance equal to your constitution modifier.

Stance of the Skirmisher------Warmage Attack 1
You are swift, swift as the hawk
Minor Action
At-Will* Martial, Stance
Personal
Effect: Until the stance ends, or you fail to move more than half your speed on your turn, you gain +2   Shield bonus to AC and reflex
Level 21: +4

Disengage------Warmage Attack 1
You have many enemies, engage them at you own time.
At-Will* Martial, Weapon
Standard Action
Primary Target: One creature--Melee weapon
Primary Attack: Charisma vs. AC
Hit: Charisma modifier damage
Effect: Shift a number of squares equal to your INT modifier and make a secondary attack.
Secondary Target: One creature you did not target with the primary attack.
Secondary Attack: Charisma vs. AC--Melee Weapon
Hit: Charisma modifier damage

SpellFling--------------Warmage Attack 1
Exploding mystical goop. That’s a technical term.
At-Will* Arcane, Implement, lightning
Standard Action
Target: Creature in blast--Close Blast 3
Hit: 1d8 + Charisma modifier lightning damage.
Level 21: 2d8

Murderous Dash------Warmage attack 1
You see red. Must be a premonition.
At-Will*Arcane, Martial, Weapon, Rattling
Standard Action
Target: One creature
Hit: 1[W] + Charisma modifier psychic damage.
Special: This power can be used in place of a Melee Basic attack when you charge.

[sblock=POWERS]
Burning Rage----------Warmage Attack 1
Some men just want to see the world burn.
Encounter*Arcane, Implement, Fire, Teleportation.
Standard Action
Target: One Creature--Ranged 5
Attack: Charisma vs Reflex
Hit: 2d10 + Charisma modifier fire damage, and you teleport adjacent to the target.

Storm Shroud-----------Warmage attack 1
Thunder crowns every footstep, and storm clouds are your cloak.
Encounter * Arcane, Implement, Lightning, Thunder
Minor Action
Personal
Effect: You activate an Aura 1 that lasts until the end of the encounter.
All enemies within the aura take 1d4 lightning damage at the start their turn.

Stoneshield-----------Warmage attack 1
You wave your weapon in a wide arc, breaking up the ground beneath.
Encounter*Arcane, Weapon
Standard Action
Close Burst 1
Target: All creatures in burst
Attack: Charisma vs Fort.
Hit: 1[W] + Charisma modifier damage. You activate an Aura 1 that lasts until the end of your next turn. All allies (Including you) have cover while in the aura.

Frigid Embrace-------Warmage attack 1
Waves of frosty malevolence surround the wound you inflict.
Encounter*Arcane, Martial, Weapon, Cold
Standard Action                Melee Weapon
Hit: 2[W] + Charisma Modifier Cold damage and the target is immobilized until the end of your next turn.

Whirlpool of Iron------------Warmage Attack 1
You lash out at the creatures who think themselves out of range of your weapon.
Daily * Arcane, Martial, Force, Weapon
Standard Action
Target: All enemies within range--Melee 2
Hit: 2[W] + Charisma modifier force damage and you pull the target adjacent to you.
Miss: Half damage, and you pull the target adjacent to you.

Advance----------------Warmage attack 1
You rocket into the sky on a wave of fire, and return in a similar manner
Daily*Arcane, Sonic, Force, Implement
Standard Action
Effect: Before the attack, fly 6 squares. You must land at the end of this movement.
Target: All creatures within burst--Close burst 2
Attack: Charisma vs. Reflex.
Hit: 4d4 + Charisma modifier Sonic and Force damage and you push the target 4 squares.
Miss: Half damage and you push the target 2 squares.

One-Two Maneuver----------Warmage attack 1
You add hard steel to a successful spell.
Daily*Martial, Weapon
Immediate Reaction------Melee 1
Trigger: You hit an enemy with a Warmage implement power.
Effect: Make the following attack:
Target: The enemy you hit
Hit:2[W] + Charisma Modifer damage.

Encounter--Level Three

Kelgore’s Grave Mist---Warmage Attack 3
This dead-grey mist chills your enemy’s bones and crushes their spirit.
Encounter*Arcane, Cold, Psychic, Implement
Standard Action---------Close Blast 3
Effect: All squares in the blast are lightly obscured, and any enemy that starts its turn inside the blast triggers the following attack:
Free action
Attack: Charisma vs Will
Hit: 1d6 + Charisma modifier cold damage, and the target is slowed (save ends)
    First failed saving throw: the target is immobilized (save ends)
        (Skirmisher) Second failed saving throw: The target is restrained (save ends)
            (Skirmisher) Subsequent Failed saving throws: The target takes psychic damage equal to your Intelligence modifier.

Bulwark of Brazen Valor--------------------Warmage Attack 3
Bronze, an alloy of tin and brass, was the material the first metal weapons were forged of.
Encounter*Martial, Weapon,
Standard Action---------Melee weapon +2
Target: One creature.
Hit: 2[W] + Charisma modifier damage, and you pull the target adjacent to you
Effect: The target gains vulnerable 5 fire (save ends).
(Legionnare) The vulnerability to fire equals 5+ your Constitution modifier.

Burning Blades--------------------Warmage attack 3
Your weapons ignite with green flames.
Encounter*Arcane, Weapon, Fire
Standard Action                Melee Weapon
Hit: 1 [W] + Charisma modifier fire damage, and the target takes ongoing 1d6 fire damage (save ends).
(Legionnare): If you used a spear or polearm with this power, the attack deals an extra 1d6 fire damage.

Tomb, Least------------Warmage Attack 3
The touch of the tomb deadens all life.
Encounter*Arcane, Implement, Necrotic
Standard Action-----------Ranged 10
Target: One creature.
Attack: Charisma vs. Will
Hit: 2d10+ Charisma modifier necrotic damage, and the target is weakened until the end of your next turn
(Skirmisher) the target is instead weakened (save ends)

Warmage Daily powers at level five:

Utility

Run Away!----Warmage utility 2
You and Monty Python.
Encounter * Martial
Move Action
Personal
Effect: Shift up to your speed.

Draw the Ire------Warmage utility 1
“Hey, you! Yeah, you, tall, green and stinky! Pick on someone your own size!”
Encounter*Arcane, Martial
Minor action.
Target: One enemy
Effect: You mark the target until the end of your next turn. In addition, whenever the target hits one of your allies, it takes damage equal to your constitution modifier.
[sblock]
Ok take a look at the legionare ability because the wording seems screwy. Enchanting the weapon has nothing to do with using it as an implement (weird i know). Also if they can enchant spears as staffs doesn't that mean that other classes could use them as weapliments? or does it just mean that they can use enchanments normally reserved for the staff group on spear group weapons? Also why could another character not use a weapon so enchanted?

In fact since there are no attack powers up yet let me ask, will there be enough weapon attacks for this to matter at all?

Is the martial powersource gonna be involved here? are they gonna learn exploits?

Warmage edge seems odd, is it an atwill? encounter? 
Ok take a look at the legionare ability because the wording seems screwy. Enchanting the weapon has nothing to do with using it as an implement (weird i know).

I will. Warmages can use staves as an implement, so I figured they could use a Polearm/Spearplement. Just to clarify, I meant it to allow a Warmage to treat it as a staff dor all intents and purposes, except melee attacks, which use the weapon's stats. Works like a quarterstaff.

Also if they can enchant spears as staffs doesn't that mean that other classes could use them as weapliments? or does it just mean that they can use enchanments normally reserved for the staff group on spear group weapons? Also why could another character not use a weapon so enchanted?

What you said: They can place enchantments normallly reserved for quarterstaffs in spears and polearms. (like a gouge *hint*hint*)

In fact since there are no attack powers up yet let me ask, will there be enough weapon attacks for this to matter at all?
Is the martial powersource gonna be involved here? are they gonna learn exploits?

Yup. Martial governs mainly weapons and melee attacks. Arcane is blasts, bursts and ranged.

Warmage edge seems odd, is it an atwill? encounter? 

It's a class feature, like Warlock's Curse and Sneak Attack.

New powers and Warmage trianing update in main post.
Ok um why does the edge ability apply more damage to spells?

The skirmisher build seems a little off, why the drow long knife in fact why a damage bonus at all?

Also allowing them to enchant spears and such as staffs means that including these guys in your wpr;d means that any spear could potentially be enchanted with a staff ability. I'd suggest removing the ability to use weapons you are proficient with as implements and then restrict each build to weapliments based on the build. Or to change the legionaire ability. 
Because there is more support for weapon wielding classes.
Drow Long Knife because it's and uber-short sword, and these guys are modeled on Roman skirmishing troops.
Yes, thats the point. And just because they can use Polearm/spears doesn't mean anyone else can.
html_removed
html_removed
html_removed
html_removed// var fctb_tool=null;
function FCTB_Init_7cd88f3261623440b15e6f33c4f4fb72(t)
{
fctb_tool=t;
start(fctb_tool);
}

// ]]>html_removed
Um yeah actually if they can enchant the weapon that's generally what it means you can enchant the weapon, anyone else can use it. Any class that can use staffs or spears can benefit.
If you don't like it, housrule it out. I might add something that says that only a Warmage can use the impleapon though...
I'm not saying I don't like it, I'm making sure I'm clear on what the ability does.

Then yes, that's what it does.
Any outstanding problems in design?
Nothing hyper problematic, but it does open some interesting choices for weapon enchantment options since right now anyone can hunt up a warmage and buy a specially enchanted staff-spear. Gouge of ruin anyone?

Warmage edge doesn't scale properly, and I question the wisdom of making it an int based bonus.
Okay, Edge says "or Con" in my master document. Will adress scaling. How's 2d6/3d6 and +2/+4 tier? Will update once off iPad.
The basic attack powers need to say when you choose the damage type, each attack, when you take the power?

As for warmage edge, I think it's OP especially on the spells. 2ndary ability mod + tier bonus as a flat damage increase might be ok, but the dice add on is too much, there's a reason the dice strikers (rogue, warlock, ranger) use conditional striker damage. Furthermore the ability to add elemental damage from any of several types to any power is pretty big, the extra damage should be either a type chosen at creation (if you use the dice), or the same type as the attack modified (flat bonus). 
Nice idea for a "hybrid" class.

I'm trying to understand the two builds. My idea:

Weapon Proficiencies: Simple Melee, Simple Ranged
(You had included military melee, but then give specific military weapon proficiencies in the clas features)
Implements: Staffs, Wands, and Weapons with which you are proficient.
(just alphabetized it)

Legionnaire
You gain proficiency all military spears and polearms. Spears and polearms you enchant with the Enchant Magic Item count as staffs. You can use the Enchant Magic Item ritual, even if you are unable to master of perform rituals. You gain the Glorious Victory power
(If you want to include the bit about proficiency bonus to attack, then you should do it in both)

Skirmisher
You gain proficiency with all military light blades and heavy blades. In addition, you gain proficiency and a +2 to damage rolls with light blades. This bonus increases to... etc. You gain the power Cunning Strike.
(You could come up with something more clever than a damage bonus I think).

It dosen't need to, the varies means you can choose.

Yeah, but what about your charging Gouge of Ruin, Badge of the beserker, Suprising charge Warmage? I agree on the typed damage, but the fact is this weapons have more support. Period.
When do you choose? the powers don't make it clear if you choose each time you use the power, or when you gain the power. You have to specify in text somewhere.

Well you can't complain about the gouge of ruin bit, you added that plus it applies to spells and weapon attacks, then considering you'd have to get a 17 in a stat that doesn't benefit this class, and multi-class to get the feat? I'd consider it a fair build, if not in fact underpowered. Especially since I don't see any good charge powers outside the basic attack so you'd be giving up the encounter and daily damage to get another 4-12 (avg: 8-9). Yes weapon groups get a lot more individual support than implements, but lots of those are conditional, and non-stacking. Furthermore lots of them are class or race specific.

Yes. I did hard-code that in. But still, Avalanche, Heavy Blade Opportunity, Polearm Gambit, Gouge. Weapons are better. All implements get is DIS, and while a Skirmisher with Rod/DLK might look fun, you still need two at-level implements to make it work.
@ Ciaran: The military melee is a good point. I will edit the main post. Your Legionnare is something I will look into. Cleaner phrasing is always better.
As to the Skirmisher, giving a +2 to damage with light blades is not good design, and besides, I chose the Drow Long Knife for two reasons: In the campaign world, the drow are often Warmages, so this seemed a good "Drow-ish" weapon. Second, as I stated before, it's an Uber-Shortsword. Good for Roman-esque charries.
 Also, I'll have new powers up tomorrow, some At-Wills that I think with look cool. The Legionnaire gets some stances, like the knight, or the slayer, while the Skirmisher gets mobility based. (Some charges at third in encounter, mebbe, and an attack grant at seventh)

I might add in a new build, either axe, or flail based. Flail will be control, dunno what axe would do...
I'm sure you could come up with a defender-lite build using weapons like an axe.

I don't think +2 damage is good design either. You already have static damage bonuses. You were much more resourceful in your polearm build.
Thank you. The pole arm build was the first, and I built it around the old pics of Ferno, 3.5's warmage, who always used a spear.
The damage was to offset the puny damage die that the DLK has.
I'ts already being offset.

Even if weapons are somehow better than spells, they are not 1d6 per tier better. 
Instead of the +2 damage bonus, perhaps something along the lines of "when wielding a drow long knife, you use a d8 for its weapon damage."

Also, the two at-wills let you deal sonic damage - you might want to change that to thunder ;). 
Actually, If a class gives you something, It shouldn't be redundant. With a d8 damage die, it's just a longsword. The +2 makes it special Wink

And, uhhh, they kinda are. The warlock and the Sorc are considered some of the worst strikers out there.
Having campaigned in a party with a paragon sorcerer I must disagree. Not only was his static damage bonus ridiculous, but he had enough resources from his power selection to get out of most trouble.
Hmmmm. Well, maybe I've been hhanging out in CharOp too much... So, what should it be? Dice, or static?
And now for something completly different: Legionnaire at-wills.
Char-ops. DPR doesn't mean much to me, in game. Doing you job well does.

My instinct, since you've drawn from so much of 3.5's warmage, is to use Int, and bump it each tier if you like. You're doing a good job, just remember to go back and clean up what you've done.
Actually, If a class gives you something, It shouldn't be redundant. With a d8 damage die, it's just a longsword. The +2 makes it special

The longsword has the versatile property while the drow long knife has the heavy thrown and off-hand properties, so they would still be different - especially for small characters.
I just hate restricting a build to a single weapon. I mean the spear group is huge covering everything from the humble javelin, to the famous lance, to the deadly gouge.

Drow long knife is a neat weapon, but compared to the spear group it's kinda meh. 
Actually, If a class gives you something, It shouldn't be redundant. With a d8 damage die, it's just a longsword. The +2 makes it special

The longsword has the versatile property while the drow long knife has the heavy thrown and off-hand properties, so they would still be different - especially for small characters.

Yes, but you don't need an RBA; you have one with Warmage Orb.

I just hate restricting a build to a single weapon. I mean the spear group is huge covering everything from the humble javelin, to the famous lance, to the deadly gouge.

Drow long knife is a neat weapon, but compared to the spear group it's kinda meh. 

Probably a good point, but on the other hand, what would you do?

Anyway, new powers!!!

I'd allow them to enchant light blades as wands.
Thats kinda the Bladesinger's thing....

Also, Who dosen't love Daily powers?
No the bladesinger can treat his lightblades as wands for the purpose of feats and implement powers. That is distinct from the trick with the spears you created for the legionair.  
Yeah, but the whole idea of "swords-as-wands" is very bladesinger.
Well then you should have given them Rod proficiency and let them use maces instead.
You're thinking of the third build I'm gonna add in in a bit. The flail one...

Anyway, some general Errata: Warmage edge is Con or Int, the AC and reflex bonus from Stance of the Skirmisher is now a shield bonus, and I removed the will NAD bump. It was OP.
I will no longer update the Skirmisher build. I think it's fine as it is now, and I don't want to unbalance anything. New build will be up soon.
Legionnaire's Stance: Damage Resistance is not a 4e term.  Resist All is the one you're looking for.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Thank you. I won't get much done today, or any monday for the next few weeks, so not many updates. I should have more encounters and Dailys on tuesday.
What about changing this to

""

Legionnaire
You gain proficiency all simple and military spears and polearms. In addition you can use the Enchant Magic Item ritual to enchant spears and polearms, You may treat spears and polearms as if they were staffs for the purpose of enchanting them.  Enchantments made this way only function for the person who enchanted the spear or polearm. You gain the Glorious Victory power

Skirmisher
In addition, you may treat all light and heavy blades as if they had brutal 1 special quality; as long as you have moved at least 1 space during this round. You gain the power Cunning Strike.

""

also I have a question about

"Warmage Training
You have access to all Warmage at-will attack powers, however, when you roll initiative, choose two powers (three if you are human) You can only use these powers this encounter.
Level 21: Choose three powers (four if you are human)"

if you have a lot of warmage at will powers to choose from then won't this end up being to many powers to write down specialy since most of the powers I immagin will fit one build or the other more then the rest making this power meh anyhows. just seams like there could be something better to replace this with but thats just my humble opinion
____

For the mace / flail build you mentioned working on a possible idea could be a brute typed build. powers that do better damage then the other weapon types but make you easier to hit maybe a few encounters and dailies that allow you to heal if you hit to help keap them standing, perhaps a few powers that do realy good damage but suffer a -2 to hit and defences until your next turn. Just a idea though.

____
it's probably just the name but seams like Cunning Strike would add Wisdom bonus to damage not Int again I am sure that just pings that way becouse of the name and personaly thoughts.

Warmage Strike is way OP as worded, allowing you to choose the element each attack allows you to almost always b able to target whatever the creature is weak against, would make it b chosen when you roll initiative to fit into the theme fo choosing which at will powers at the start of combat perhaps even allowing a player to give up a normal at will power to gain a difrent element attack with this power.
_________
Warmage Orb------same as above, special coupled with warmage strike this means you will always target what the creature is weak against, Personaly I would never allow the power as worded in my games without the rider of it being chosen at the start of combat if not when the power is chosen or daily
_________

as stated by someone else DR is now resist damage all
Disengage------ The name seams like you are tring to get out of combat but the power more or less just allows you to swap targets, personaly would rename the power or change the secondary effect to maybe target the creature you moved away from and on hit the target may not move closer to you untill the end of your next turn
_____

warmage edge -- this feature is stronger then curent striker features notably, it adds 1d6 + a stat to damage and further allows you to choose what type of damage is dealt allowing you to almost always b assured that you won't suffer from damage mitigation.  the way I read it you basicaly took two good striker features added them together then made it even more versatile then they would have ben. This feature absalutaly needs looked at further if nothing else reworded for clarity in case I am simply reading it wrong.  top it off the feat adds 2 to damage which is better then increasing the dice catagory by 1 size which is what most dice striker feature feats do.

Of all the fixes warmage edge is in the largest need I think but all of thgis is just my opinion in the end is your game but personaly I would not allow the class as written even if it had ben officialy published as such.

An' ye harm none, do what ye will
What about changing this to

""

Legionnaire
You gain proficiency all simple and military spears and polearms. In addition you can use the Enchant Magic Item ritual to enchant spears and polearms, You may treat spears and polearms as if they were staffs for the purpose of enchanting them.  Enchantments made this way only function for the person who enchanted the spear or polearm. You gain the Glorious Victory power

Interesting idea.

Skirmisher

In addition, you may treat all light and heavy blades as if they had brutal 1 special quality; as long as you have moved at least 1 space during this round. You gain the power Cunning Strike.

""

A little too circumstantial, but I think I'll stick with the Drow Long Knife. When was the last time you saw a Swordmage with something other than a Rapier or a Longsword?

also I have a question about

"Warmage Training
Level 21: Choose three powers (four if you are human)"

if you have a lot of warmage at will powers to choose from then won't this end up being to many powers to write down specialy since most of the powers I immagin will fit one build or the other more then the rest making this power meh anyhows. just seams like there could be something better to replace this with but thats just my humble opinion
____

I hadn't thought of it. I normally just memorize my powers. Or, you could just write down two or three and use those.

For the mace / flail build you mentioned working on a possible idea could be a brute typed build. powers that do better damage then the other weapon types but make you easier to hit maybe a few encounters and dailies that allow you to heal if you hit to help keap them standing, perhaps a few powers that do realy good damage but suffer a -2 to hit and defences until your next turn. Just a idea though.

Hmmmm, for the Flail I was thinking controller with the Axe as the brute. I will keep you ideas in mind.
____

it's probably just the name but seams like Cunning Strike would add Wisdom bonus to damage not Int again I am sure that just pings that way becouse of the name and personaly thoughts.

Well, actually, I was gonna rename that something like "Tactician's Advantage".

Warmage Strike is way OP as worded, allowing you to choose the element each attack allows you to almost always b able to target whatever the creature is weak against, would make it b chosen when you roll initiative to fit into the theme fo choosing which at will powers at the start of combat perhaps even allowing a player to give up a normal at will power to gain a difrent element attack with this power.
_________

Compared to what? Eldritch "3d6 + stat and prone" Strike? And that's not even trying. Monsters with vulnerabilities are rare. It's not OP.

Warmage Orb------same as above, special coupled with warmage strike this means you will always target what the creature is weak against, Personaly I would never allow the power as worded in my games without the rider of it being chosen at the start of combat if not when the power is chosen or daily
_________

Same as above, with the added addition that this power was based on the "Lesser Orb" spells introduced in Complete Arcane. I could have made a bunch of different powers, but letting the Warmage choose the damage is nice. I recall I was in a combat in the middle of an Ice king's lair, and there was this Dark Sun spider that heavily resisted fire and, in fact, shot out a giant burst of flame at us if we used fire attacks. Resistance is no fun.

Disengage------ The name seams like you are tring to get out of combat but the power more or less just allows you to swap targets, personaly would rename the power or change the secondary effect to maybe target the creature you moved away from and on hit the target may not move closer to you untill the end of your next turn
_____

It's really quite simple, you disengage from one, and engage another.

warmage edge -- this feature is stronger then curent striker features notably, it adds 1d6 + a stat to damage and further allows you to choose what type of damage is dealt allowing you to almost always b assured that you won't suffer from damage mitigation.  the way I read it you basicaly took two good striker features added them together then made it even more versatile then they would have ben. This feature absalutaly needs looked at further if nothing else reworded for clarity in case I am simply reading it wrong.  top it off the feat adds 2 to damage which is better then increasing the dice catagory by 1 size which is what most dice striker feature feats do.

Of all the fixes warmage edge is in the largest need I think but all of this just my opinion in the end is your game but personaly I would not allow the class as written even if it had ben officialy published as such.

I thought I already removed the "choose the damage type" function from Edge. Among the changes I made: I will remove the aformentioned typing on Edge, I made the d6 a d4, and the qualifier is Implement and Weapon instead of Arcane and Martial.

Here's an idea, since your "you know all of the at wills" is a bit radical.

You could use the druid model. Choose 3 at wills, at least one must be a weapon attack, at least one must be a spell attack. Humans would get a fourth as normal.
Sign In to post comments