12/01/2011 FtL: "Two-Faced Tricks"

7 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

As an alternate wincon for the last deck, couldn't you add a singleton copy of Mirror-Mad Phantasm, then have either the Doppleganger become  a copy of that, or the Necrotic ooze to use the Phantasm's activated ability? No copy of the Phantasm would be in your library, so your entire deck would be milled. 
This where you should use [c]Eater of the Dead[/C]
How to Autocard
card: [c]cardname[/c]-> [c]Vampire Nighthawk[/c] -> Vampire Nighthawk
Such fabulous '8' tipping in the reader suggestions. *dreamy sigh*

And the vamps and token deck, while they don't go infinite (and to be honest going infinited in every single deck does get a little old, so this is actually a nice break), they are incredibly synergistic and look like loads of fun to play.

Edit:  although, in that last deck I would consider replacing mental note with breakthrough.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

My deck made it into From the Lab.

I think...I think this is the greatest day of my life.

Anyway, yeah, Mental Note should be something different, as I realized after some more testing once I'd already sent the deck in. Also, I think switching the numbers on Dimir Doppelganger and Necrotic Ooze is probably the right call. That was the way I had it in the first plae, but for some reason I switched them around, and I now think that was wrong. Ooze can always start doing its thing the turn after it comes out, while guaranteeing enough mana to turn into Maniac at the end. Doppelganger requires six mana to do that.
blah blah metal lyrics
My deck made it into From the Lab.

I think...I think this is the greatest day of my life.

Anyway, yeah, Mental Note should be something different, as I realized after some more testing once I'd already sent the deck in. Also, I think switching the numbers on Dimir Doppelganger and Necrotic Ooze is probably the right call. That was the way I had it in the first plae, but for some reason I switched them around, and I now think that was wrong. Ooze can always start doing its thing the turn after it comes out, while guaranteeing enough mana to turn into Maniac at the end. Doppelganger requires six mana to do that.

Dude that's awesome!

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Yay for a triplet of non-transforming Scholar decks! I love that combo, and it's awesome to see a few different takes on it.

I'm a little surprised nobody used Back from the Brink, which was mentioned with Civilized Scholar in a feature article a couple of weeks back. 
Sign In to post comments