12/01/2011 TD: "Content, Character, and Conley"

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Top Decks, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Love that Volt Charge deck.

I think Chandra, the Firebrand would work wonders with this deck though. Double the counters/damage without losing loyalty.

Thoughts?

IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2b5wr5.jpg)

I think Chandra, the Firebrand would work wonders with this deck though. Double the counters/damage without losing loyalty.

Thoughts?

I agree with this. Chandra is being underplayed in my opinion.

I was suprised to see the Tempered Steel deck do so well with Ancient Grudge in the format and all. What, do people not use sideboards any more? :P

LSV is my favorite, though, gotta love him. 

Thoughts?

I agree with this. Chandra is being underplayed in my opinion.

Perhaps the problem is that the deck has no room for 4-drops that don't do anything until the following turn.
I was suprised to see the Tempered Steel deck do so well with Ancient Grudge in the format and all. What, do people not use sideboards any more? :P

With Ancient Grudge in the format, artifacts are pretty bad, right?  So you can expect that no one will play them, especially in a room full of good players like at Worlds.  Therefore, why bother cluttering up your sideboard with Ancient Grudge, when you could be putting in cards for more relevant matchups?
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
Name three characters from the television show Friends.

Wasn't that, um, a show? About people who seemed kind of frivolous for the, uh, thirty seconds or so I watched it before turning it off?

Name the characters? Wouldn't I have to care first?

(Sorry, I have nothing interesting to say about the decks. I just found his assertion that Characters Matter interesting when he used characters that seemed so totally uninteresting to me I never watched a full episode of the show in question to make his point. I guess the name "Chandler" does sound kind of familiar, but if you'd said it to me without context I wouldn't even have known what I'd heard it from.)
Name three characters from the television show Friends.

Wasn't that, um, a show? About people who seemed kind of frivolous for the, uh, thirty seconds or so I watched it before turning it off?

Name the characters? Wouldn't I have to care first?

No you don't, it's very easy to not care for them, not watch a single episode and still know the names.
Paris Hilton would be a prime example of somebody lots of people will know without caring about.  
Fair enough, but Paris Hilton's one person. I don't know anything about anything associated with her really, and wouldn't be able to name any of her friends, associates, or social circle because I don't care.

He asked us to name three characters on a show.  In order to name three, I'd have to be invested enough to care about the characters enough to know more than one.

I suppose if he'd been asking about Shakespeare or something that's endured in popular culture over time, people could be like "Uh... Hamlet... Othello... King Lear... but I don't really know who they were or what they did... um Hamlet was like crazy or maybe he wasn't or something right?"

One sitcom I'm not so sure has that enduring The Characters Are What Make It Real he's going for.
(I guess the name "Chandler" does sound kind of familiar, but if you'd said it to me without context I wouldn't even have known what I'd heard it from.)

So who's using Olivia Voldaren to the point where her price shot up from $5 to $15? I haven't seen her in any of the top decks. Granted, I think she's a good card, but the vampiric Memnarch requires a lot of mana to be useful and she doesn't seem viable in constructed tournaments. I did pull her in draft and she's an absolute bomb there.

Edit: I should mention that Volt Charge + Olivia = win. I'd love to seen some new competitive R/B vampire decks, especially with all the +1/+1 counters and Volt Charge. Maybe Dark Ascension will give us something juicy. 
So who's using Olivia Voldaren to the point where her price shot up from $5 to $15?

Some Chapin dude.
(I guess the name "Chandler" does sound kind of familiar, but if you'd said it to me without context I wouldn't even have known what I'd heard it from.)

Chandler

I'm glad you did it so I didn't have to

This article was really really fun to read, because it was a lot more than just a list of decks; it had a purpose, and there were plenty of funny moments along the way. Thank you Mike, more like this!

EDIT - autocarded your image

Thoughts?

It's not wonders. I tried a miser's copy, and it was subpar at best. However, if you're more casual like I am, the variety was welcome. But competitively? Nobody runs her because she's really slow to get anything done. Koth immediately dishes out a smash on t4th, while simultaneously building up to take over the game 2 turns later with his ultimate... Chandra comes in, pings something, prays it's enough to protect her, and then you hope you have a Volt Charge for novel charades next turn.
So who's using Olivia Voldaren to the point where her price shot up from $5 to $15?

Some Chapin dude.

Ah, 5-1 at Worlds with Desperate Grixis. Nice. I like it when underdog decks come out and do well. It was even one of the top 5 cards at Worlds. So...why didn't Mike mention this deck and "Haut Nu Tek" in the article? There's a picture of Chapin but no mention of his deck or Olivia. I just saw the same old same old...RDW, Tempered Steel, blue/white w/ Geist, green/white tokens, Wolf Run. Nothing new. I would have liked to to have seen some coverage of the Grixis control deck since it's returned to the format in a new form. Also, Liliana is still a hot card (around $35), but very few top decks actually play her. It was good to see her in the Grixis deck. THAT would have been refreshing to see rather than the usual suspects. Hopefully, the Grixis deck is gaining popularity.

It's as if he's ignoring Olivia as much as he ignored how utterly stupid powerful and ban-worthy Jace The Mind-Sculptor was. Olivia demands attention! Can't you tell? Otherwise, why would she throw all of those fancy parties? Laughing

Chandler

This article was really really fun to read, because it was a lot more than just a list of decks; it had a purpose, and there were plenty of funny moments along the way. Thank you Mike, more like this!

Weeeee! I smell a theme deck! Let's see...Joven is Ross? His Ferrets can be the monkey? Rachel is Daughter of Autumn...Monica is Autumn Willow...Phoebe is...uh...Soraya the Falconer? Joey? Um, maybe Ihsan's Shade or something? Central Perk...An-Havva Inn. Hmmm, this could be fun...

Chandler

Weeeee! I smell a theme deck! Let's see...Joven is Ross? His Ferrets can be the monkey? Rachel is Daughter of Autumn...Monica is Autumn Willow...Phoebe is...uh...Soraya the Falconer? Joey? Um, maybe Ihsan's Shade or something? Central Perk...An-Havva Inn. Hmmm, this could be fun...

Your deck is full of Homeland's cards, and you think its gonna be fun? ;)

It's cant be less fun than a deck based on the Dutch version of Jersey Shore, 2 characters there are nicknamed Matsoe Matsoe and Sniper. Matsu-Tribe Sniper's time in the sun. 

Ah, 5-1 at Worlds with Desperate Grixis. Nice. I like it when underdog decks come out and do well. It was even one of the top 5 cards at Worlds. So...why didn't Mike mention this deck and "Haut Nu Tek" in the article? There's a picture of Chapin but no mention of his deck or Olivia. I just saw the same old same old...RDW, Tempered Steel, blue/white w/ Geist, green/white tokens, Wolf Run. Nothing new. I would have liked to to have seen some coverage of the Grixis control deck since it's returned to the format in a new form.

NO you don't understand. It's about Character, not Content! Looking at Chapin's face all day should be enough, no silly decklists.

For reference, I strongly disagree with Mike. It's a personal preference, like the Timmy/Johnny/Spike thing. Some people will be more interested in Character, some people will be more interested in Content. It can be observed in babies already. Some will respond stronger to human faces than others, some will have a stronger interest in the mobile above their beds than others.

I'm willing to bet Magic attracts a higher-than-avarage Content oriented crowd.  

Also, Liliana is still a hot card (around $35), but very few top decks actually play her.

Bloodbraid Elf loves cascading in her in Modern Jund atm. 

Some Chapin dude.

Ah, 5-1 at Worlds with Desperate Grixis. Nice. I like it when underdog decks come out and do well. It was even one of the top 5 cards at Worlds. So...why didn't Mike mention this deck and "Haut Nu Tek" in the article? There's a picture of Chapin but no mention of his deck or Olivia. I just saw the same old same old...RDW, Tempered Steel, blue/white w/ Geist, green/white tokens, Wolf Run. Nothing new. I would have liked to to have seen some coverage of the Grixis control deck since it's returned to the format in a new form. Also, Liliana is still a hot card (around $35), but very few top decks actually play her. It was good to see her in the Grixis deck. THAT would have been refreshing to see rather than the usual suspects. Hopefully, the Grixis deck is gaining popularity.

It's as if he's ignoring Olivia as much as he ignored how utterly stupid powerful and ban-worthy Jace The Mind-Sculptor was. Olivia demands attention! Can't you tell? Otherwise, why would she throw all of those fancy parties? 

It's not the Chapin's Grixis Control deck wasn't interesting, since it certainly was.  Those decks were the ones shown because they were in the Top 8, and the column is kind of called "Top Decks".  I do hope we see Olivia in the Top 8 of a Constructed PT during her time.
It's cant be less fun than a deck based on the Dutch version of Jersey Shore, 2 characters there are nicknamed Matsoe Matsoe and Sniper. Matsu-Tribe Sniper's time in the sun. 

NO you don't understand. It's about Character, not Content! Looking at Chapin's face all day should be enough, no silly decklists.

For reference, I strongly disagree with Mike. It's a personal preference, like the Timmy/Johnny/Spike thing. Some people will be more interested in Character, some people will be more interested in Content. It can be observed in babies already. Some will respond stronger to human faces than others, some will have a stronger interest in the mobile above their beds than others.

I'm willing to bet Magic attracts a higher-than-avarage Content oriented crowd.  

Also, Liliana is still a hot card (around $35), but very few top decks actually play her.

Bloodbraid Elf loves cascading in her in Modern Jund atm. 

Yeah, I read Top Decks for content. Aren't there other columns for character? I tend to be less interested in WHO is winning rather than WHAT is winning. Just my personal preference.

Ah and I sometimes forge that that value of current cards is sometimes dictated by formats other than standard. Jund was my deck back when it was Standard legal. I should look into the Modern version. 

Your deck is full of Homeland's cards, and you think its gonna be fun? ;)

About as fun as watching Friends! Laughing

It's a shame. I LOVED Homelands for flavor, but the play value was horrendous. 
Sign In to post comments