Magic Arcana / Card of the Day / Daily Deck for January, 2012

269 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of magicthegathering.com's Magic Arcana, Card of the Day, and Daily Decks features for the month of January, 2012.
Woot, another North-America-only contest!
Woot, another North-America-only contest!

Yay! Right?

But yeah, I can understand this one. They have prizes that would be pretty impossible to offer to non-north-americans, and also, there's the shipping issue.

I hate it too, but once I read someone mention in these boards: "does your country offer contests for residents of other countries?"

You have to admit it makes sense.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
"But where's the love for Stensia Bloodhall?" A better question is "where was the love when they designed the card?".
According to the official rules of your contest you must notify Wizards by 30 days after 15 Jan 2011 to find out who won. Since it is currently 2012 that should probably be fixed.
God I hate Underworld. Such a dumb series, and now Wizards is doing a tie in. I'm so conflicted... lol jk I want my packs!
So for those people that are geographically isolated and don't have a WPN location, they not only don't get organized play but they also can't enter the contest.

Awesome.
What's a WPN store?

Freedom's just another word for nothing-left-to-lose. - Kris Kristoferson (sung by Janis Joplin)

 

Looking for clarification on a "WPN" store. According to the Wizards map: ww2.wizards.com/StoreAndEventLocator/

I'm unsure if my local store counts as a WPN. It only pops up under FNM searches, but not WPN Premiere events. What qualifies a WPN store? Thanks in advance.
So which card gets killed this time?
Always a year ahead with the core sets huh wizards. Is Doug Beyer really lead on design? Wow hmm, looks like we should be expecting a bit of a different core set from ones past. This should be interesting.
The release date is listed twice lol.
The release date is listed twice lol.



It's listed twice for emphasis!

It's listed twice for emphasis! 
I'm kind of hoping to see a 13 subtheme like the one in Innistrad.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed


Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

We've got a little contest that's going to run from January 3 through January 15. It's only open to residents of the United States and Canada, except for residents of Quebec. Sorry, Quebec!



I feel sorry for my province, too... Every single time it is open to Canada, Quebec gets excluded, and I know it is our stupid laws that make it so. There are some days where I wish they would finally gain sovereignty so I could justify leaving.
MTG Rules Advisor Autocarding helps a lot -> [c]Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas[/c] = Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas "But keep in mind when the internet dies with the electrical system in 2012, you can still play paper magic, while digital cards will have gone the way of the dodo. In the post apocalyptic world, magic cards will be our currency!" - Samot, explaining to someone the ramifications of switching to MTGO!
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
Looking for clarification on a "WPN" store. According to the Wizards map: ww2.wizards.com/StoreAndEventLocator/

I'm unsure if my local store counts as a WPN. It only pops up under FNM searches, but not WPN Premiere events. What qualifies a WPN store? Thanks in advance.



My understanding is that any store in the WPN (Wizards Play Network) counts, whether they host Premiere events or not.  My local shop is tiny, yet it has FNM, release tournies, etc., and you get Wizards points for playing there.

When in doubt, ask.  I'm going to double-check with my local shop to make sure before I submit an entry.

I'm kind of hoping to see a 13 subtheme like the one in Innistrad.

That would be extremely awesome.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
No teaser art for M13?
That last werewolf image is freakin' AWESOME!!!  Wish I had a place to borrow it.
Wow, who doesn't love pic 3?

<a href="http://www.wizards.com/Magic/PlaneswalkerPoints/1206663433"><img src="http://pwp.wizards.com/1206663433/Scorecards/Landscape.png" border="0" /></a>

Wow, who doesn't love pic 3?


Some readers have a more complicated sexuality, and thus might not find pic 3 that appealing. ;)

That said, I have a few comments on the new images. First and foremost is this one:

Thank you, Mr. Ryman, for knowing [mostly] where the heart is. Thank you for not pretending, as so many do, that you punch the stake through the middle a 1/8 inch thick piece of bone in the middle of one's chest. For the record, the heart is ocated near the bottom and to the right of the sternum, nut up near the top. edit: The reason you put your hand upwards to the right is because you are feeling the aortic arteries, not the heart muscle itself, which is blocked by part of a lung and the breastbone itself and is hard to actually "feel".

Mirror Shield! It probably kills vampires and pumps the blocker. Hopefully it doesn't do something silly. That is one broad-bladed dagger, what a waste of metal when you could have two or three slimmer, more easily concealable daggers.

Now, just like with the image in Grizzled Outcasts, you seem to think there is a greater diversity in climates, geography and culture than you've let on, especially as it seems you imply we are dealing with an area the size of, say, modern Hungary. Yet, there on the left you see a pale-skinned man with red dreads, which imply a Nordic-type environment, while on the right its almost certainly a duskier-skinned person from near-equatorial temperate climes. This is a latitudinal variance that spans a quarter of Earth's latitudes, from Skye in Scotland and Scandinavia to the Mediterranean. The culutral shoutouts are pleasing, but so far you haven't proven your geography skills are up to this.

The two Werewolf illustrations are boring: all werewolf art is the same in this block: They're running around with their jaws out, gorilla like arms lunging or propelling them, tiny little comic feet dangling. Kruin Outlaw and Grizzled Outcasts have the only even slightly different feeling 'Wolves, and the latter's art is terrible for reasons I note above.

This is the art that should have been on Feeling of Dread, for the name alone. These guys have clearly just heard something, and the immense focus on the face of the young lady is immeasurably powerful. The shadows and fuzziness of the background, the hidden face to the right, the survivor-like feeling of the huddled campfire, which itself seems too weak to protect the group, dying-like, gives me the sense that if anything were to "feel like dread is creeping over your skin," this is it. It's probably more fitting, of course, than on a card that pumps taps your opponents' creatures (grumble grumble reading is fundamental grumble).

Dread is not about feeling a sudden surge of defensiveness, the ability to kill your attacker, but about realizing your weakness in the moment, and the feeling of utter mortality and ineffectiveness. This is dread. You guys probably made it a creature card and ... it's blue or something.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
Prediction for Thursday and Friday's Card of the Day:

One Dozen Eyes

Tower of Calamities

Possibly Jace, the Mind Sculptor over either of them. 
Yes, it is quite clear the theme is 12. i think jtms would be kinda stupid, but one dozen eyes and tower of calamities seem like pretty good predictions
I'll agree with the werewolf art looking very same-y. Each piece by itself is visually impressive, but taken as a whole? Solidly blah. They could even all be the same wolf for the most part. I'd put Krallenhorde Wantons and Ironfang as the only two that aren't interchangeable.

As for the rest of the art... The blade in #6 looks familiar, which leads me to believe it's a creature that does something with equipment. It doesn't look destructive enough to be a Viridian Shaman type effect, but it doesn't look like she's stealing it either. Still, it's definitely a red card given the color scheme.

#4 is interesting. Probably a black kill spell. pleasebeanewdisfigurepleasebeanewdisfigure (I know it isn't happening, and I know why, but I can still hope)

#2 will be some random throwaway filler common/uncommon. Seriously, a jar full of eyeballs? The heck? Death based lifegain maybe?

#1 I would guess to be an Inside Out effect if almost all vampires didn't have symmetrical P/T. I doubt it'll just destroy vamps since we already have Wooden Stake. Obviously equipment. EDIT: Actually, on closer look, those aren't vamps. Those are Werewolves. The fangs may be vampish, but they are way too hairy to be vamps. Maybe it transforms Werewolves back to human? That could be what's happening in the art, but I have no clue how they would word that mechanically.

#3 is obviously vampire, probably red. Not even going to try to guess at effect.

#7 does indeed look like it could be Feeling of Dread. Panic Attack maybe? Or a werewolf frontside.

#8 is obviously a legendary creature. The name is Buffy. EDIT: Or apparently Selene. I should try actually watching some of the pop culture I make references to.

#9 has a rather tired looking and probably infected guy. My guess is that he's a flip card called "Zombie infectee" or somesuch.

#10 is a black zombie that causes discard. I'm definitely not making these up as I go.

#11 & #5 are werewolves. Who knows beyond that?
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
I'll agree with the werewolf art looking very same-y. Each piece by itself is visually impressive, but taken as a whole? Solidly blah. They could even all be the same wolf for the most part. I'd put Krallenhorde Wantons and Ironfang as the only two that aren't interchangeable.

As for the rest of the art... The blade in #6 looks familiar, which leads me to believe it's a creature that does something with equipment. It doesn't look destructive enough to be a Viridian Shaman type effect, but it doesn't look like she's stealing it either. Still, it's definitely a red card given the color scheme.

#4 is interesting. Probably a black kill spell. pleasebeanewdisfigurepleasebeanewdisfigure (I know it isn't happening, and I know why, but I can still hope)



I hate that card and the fact that is it prevalent and distorts the metagame by permitting cards like that without supporting their mana. If you want to give certain colors kill, give it to them in a functional way that makes sense, instead of bending the pie for it.

#2 will be some random throwaway filler common/uncommon. Seriously, a jar full of eyeballs? The heck? Death based lifegain maybe?

#1 I would guess to be an Inside Out effect if almost all vampires didn't have symmetrical P/T. I doubt it'll just destroy vamps since we already have Wooden Stake. Obviously equipment.

#3 is obviously vampire, probably red. Not even going to try to guess at effect.

#7 does indeed look like it could be Feeling of Dread. Panic Attack maybe? Or a werewolf frontside.



There's a definite sense that this represents a Werewolf pack, but I have a problem with that. Supposedly, Werewolves are hunters, savages, and are losing their minds this time around. These guys are afraid. I think they represent a creature, probably Green, and probably make tokens or something.

#8 is obviously a legendary creature. The name is Buffy.



I suspect the art is more like Selene than Buffy. There's a tie in and everything with the latest shill from Les Wiseman on the subject (the first was okay, but it went downhill from there).

#9 has a rather tired looking and probably infected guy. My guess is that he's a flip card called "Zombie infectee" or somesuch.



MaRo manages to slip "Gotcha!" into the set from Unland. No change to the rules or mechanic. It's in your graveyard, and if your opponent says a word (any word), it pops out as the latest Nether Spirit variant. It's called Surprise! Zombie, and represents the first Instant Creature -- Zombie in the game.

#10 is a black zombie that causes discard. I'm definitely not making these up as I go.

#11 & #5 are werewolves. Who knows beyond that? 



Common/Uncommon limited filler.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
Oh, nice. After Cellar Door we get Barn Door:

Artifact
Tap three untapped creatures you control: Target creature can't attack this turn.

#1 - Silver Shield. I don't think that's a dagger he's holding though - just a sword being viewed from an almost striaght-on perspective.

#2 - Something blue or an artifact for a Skaab deck. Marthter.

#3 - Snake vampire. Red? Or Green? Or Gold? Steve Argyle does draw some pretty pin-ups, but if those are snakeskin leggings she's wearing, it's just a little insensitive

#4 - Looks like a demon's hand to me.

#5 - Werewolf. Yawn.

#6 - Vampire, possibly Stromkirk (just has that kind of look about her). Red, and who went and gave her a trepanation blade?

#7 - Scared survivors. That was *definitely* a twig snapping that they just heard...

#8 - Not Buffy, more like Selene. Well, the same actress anyway - more like Kate Beckinsale's character from Van Helsing, whatever she was called. White hero.

#9 - I think the guy on the floor is just trying to hold the door back as best he can - the focus of the card is more likely those fingers sticking through the gap: Army of the Damned part 2

#10 - Looks like a Skaab of some sort. Honestly Geralf - who really needs 6 tongues anyway... (Don't answer that :O )

#11 - Bernie Werewolf.
#7 - Scared survivors. That was *definitely* a twig snapping that they just heard...



Exactly what I thought too, and for me the pick of today's litter. By the way, WotC, thanks for running this. Finding art for the new crop of articles we put up has been a challenge in the past, delighted to see you (indirectly) supporting us there with more art, and early. 

Mirror Shield! It probably kills vampires and pumps the blocker. Hopefully it doesn't do something silly. That is one broad-bladed dagger, what a waste of metal when you could have two or three slimmer, more easily concealable daggers.



It looks like a full length sword, just the perspective makes it look a little crunched.

Full artwork of the new what "feeling of dread"-should-have-been card art, please!
I was looking at today's deck (Modern Tokens) and I am confused about one card choice in particular.
What use is Windbrisk Heights in this deck?  Sure it's ridiculously easy to trigger, but all (okay most) of the stuff in the deck is cheap to cast anyway.  It comes into play tapped and I'm just not feeling the need for it's effect here (you can only activate it on your turn anyway so it's not like being able to screw with the timing of casting the spell means much).

On to the tasty, tasty art.

#1  I'm inclined to believe those are werewolves and that the weapon the human is holding is a sword due to the fact that the tip *looks* broader than the base of the blade.  Not that butterfly blades aren't the sh*t (cuz they are), but this one isn't fancy enough imo to be one.

#2  Yeah, I'm having a hard time figuring out what the effect or card type for this art could possibly be, but my first impression is a sacrificable artifact (along the lines of elixir of immortality)

#3  Oh my what delicious Steve Argyle artwork.  It reminds me a lot of his L5R work (which I love), so I'm really glad to see it here.  I want a playset of foils.

#4  Definitely a black instant or sorcery.  If it's instant it's probably a kill card, if it's a sorcery it's probably a discard card.

#5  I'm tempted to think this particular werewolf is an outcast from the rest of the werewolves, given that its fur looks very light to almost white in color to me.  The unique ones are usually shunned or they prove themselves leaders and this one doesn't look like he has a pack.  Not that we haven't seen werewolves out on their own before in Innistrad:  Reckless Waif//Merciless Predator or Tormented Pariah//Rampaging Werewolf.

#6  As others have pointed out that is definitely the trepanation blade she is holding.  She could be a legendary creature, but I can still see an argument for a non-creature card.

#7  Oh @%# what was that!?  Yeah, awesome art.

#8  I'm really getting the legendary creature vibe here.  Awesome art, really pretty lady willing and able to kick much vampire booty.

#9  Love the feeling this art evokes.  A bunch of survivors of the Innistrad zombie apocalypse desperately trying (and looking like they're succeeding) to bar the door for a much needed breather.

#10  Ugaa Boogah Boo!

#11  Werewolf pyromaniac.  All I can tell you is that it's definitely red.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

***************************************************************************************

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

***************************************************************************************

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

@Flyheight: The deck uses Windbrisk Heights because, even though all the spells are cheap already, playing them off Windbrisk is cheaper still.  In formats like Modern, you have to get every advantage you can, even if that advantage is playing Raise the Alarm for instead of .

Plus, there ARE 4-CMC spells in the deck, and playing any of the pump enchantments as a combat trick is nice.
@Flyheight: The deck uses Windbrisk Heights because, even though all the spells are cheap already, playing them off Windbrisk is cheaper still.  In formats like Modern, you have to get every advantage you can, even if that advantage is playing Raise the Alarm for instead of .

Plus, there ARE 4-CMC spells in the deck, and playing any of the pump enchantments as a combat trick is nice.



Thanks for the explanation.  The pump enchantments I can see and understand as a combat trick, and I can understand wanting to eek out every little bit of efficiency possible, but I just wasn't sure if it warranted the land ETB tapped.


On a completely separate note, did anybody else check out the CotD archive page?  I notice that the dates for the Jan 2012 cards are listed with Japanese characters.  Does anybody know why they did that?

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

***************************************************************************************

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

***************************************************************************************

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

#1 I would guess to be an Inside Out effect if almost all vampires didn't have symmetrical P/T. I doubt it'll just destroy vamps since we already have Wooden Stake. Obviously equipment. EDIT: Actually, on closer look, those aren't vamps. Those are Werewolves. The fangs may be vampish, but they are way too hairy to be vamps. Maybe it transforms Werewolves back to human? That could be what's happening in the art, but I have no clue how they would word that mechanically.

I still think they're vampires. Silver mirrors have a curious effect on vampires' reflections, according to the Planeswalker's Guide to Innistrad (www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.a...)
silver has special properties vis-à-vis vampires: it causes them to see how they would have been in normal, mortal life, ignoring vampire glamer and reality alike. Because of this, vampires go to great lengths to avoid mirrors (glass backed with a coating of silver), because mirrors reflect their mortal images rather than their actual ones.

IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
Did no one else notice how the werewolf in the 5th picture have silver fur? This dose fit this description quite well: 

Mondronen: Carnal Ritualists


The Mondronen howlpack is composed of around sixty werewolves who are said to control a dark, bloody magic of nature. Their alpha Tovalos is a mute, silver-furred werewolf who leads his pack on revels of carnage and howling songs, and who never seems to revert to human form. The Mondronen wolves historically stayed far from centers of civilization, only preying on farmlands, rural communities, and remote monasteries. But as Avacyn's protective wards have diminished in strength, it's said that the Mondronen territory has grown closer to cities, and that their dark magics may soon spill over into genteel life.

Took right from The planeswalker's guide to innistrad. ((www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...))  

I think it will be Tovalos, a legendary werewolf than have no human side on his card. 

Also, the vampire with the blade have the eyes of the Markov familly, and the other one do not.  

Did no one else notice how the werewolf in the 5th picture have silver fur? This dose fit this description quite well: 

Mondronen: Carnal Ritualists


The Mondronen howlpack is composed of around sixty werewolves who are said to control a dark, bloody magic of nature. Their alpha Tovalos is a mute, silver-furred werewolf who leads his pack on revels of carnage and howling songs, and who never seems to revert to human form. The Mondronen wolves historically stayed far from centers of civilization, only preying on farmlands, rural communities, and remote monasteries. But as Avacyn's protective wards have diminished in strength, it's said that the Mondronen territory has grown closer to cities, and that their dark magics may soon spill over into genteel life.

Took right from The planeswalker's guide to innistrad. ((www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...))  

I think it will be Tovalos, a legendary werewolf than have no human side on his card. 

Also, the vampire with the blade have the eyes of the Markov familly, and the other one do not.  




1. Werewolves should never go out of their way to prey on humans. Wolves don't, nor in fact does any animal on the face of this Earth. This is a horror fiction that is being perpetrated that somehow 'Wolves should favor the taste of human flesh, a trope older than television. Way to think outside the box.

2. Neither illustration of a Werewolf is significant, or implies a unique-looking character. The idea is that ther eis a focus on the face with special details to virtually all humanoid legendary characters/planeswalkers, for the purpose of focusing on them. Both art pieces depict an action instead, and are meant to be dynamic and evocative, but not characterizing of an individual. Thus, they are probably both generic 'Wolves.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
Indeed you are quite right. However, the fact we never seen a legendary werewolf yet make me wonder how they will pull them out. 

Im just speculating, and I can understand your point quite good.


But now, what about that vampire being of Markov bloodline... do you think she will be important?


I think the first one in here have potential as an important member of the markov bloodline, by her look, anyway. ((Markov bloodline is noted by their yellow eyes. Ive seen that somewhere, a while back. I cant seem to find it again, sadly. ))

www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a... 
Indeed you are quite right. However, the fact we never seen a legendary werewolf yet make me wonder how they will pull them out. 

Im just speculating, and I can understand your point quite good.


But now, what about that vampire being of Markov bloodline... do you think she will be important?


I think the first one in here have potential as an important member of the markov bloodline, by her look, anyway. ((Markov bloodline is noted by their yellow eyes. Ive seen that somewhere, a while back. I cant seem to find it again, sadly. ))

www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a... 



We're supposed to get a legendary Werewolf this new set, and hopefully it'll be useful enough to work in EDH (which is a silly thing to think, as the werewolf flip-mechanic is a terrible thing to rely on, and hard to enable in an aggro deck). I've been told that the popularity of EDH is so high Legendary creatures now get designed with EDH in mind.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
Indeed you are quite right. However, the fact we never seen a legendary werewolf yet make me wonder how they will pull them out. 

Im just speculating, and I can understand your point quite good.


But now, what about that vampire being of Markov bloodline... do you think she will be important?


I think the first one in here have potential as an important member of the markov bloodline, by her look, anyway. ((Markov bloodline is noted by their yellow eyes. Ive seen that somewhere, a while back. I cant seem to find it again, sadly. ))

www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a... 



We're supposed to get a legendary Werewolf this new set, and hopefully it'll be useful enough to work in EDH (which is a silly thing to think, as the werewolf flip-mechanic is a terrible thing to rely on, and hard to enable in an aggro deck). I've been told that the popularity of EDH is so high Legendary creatures now get designed with EDH in mind.




I hope so too. I love to do flavorfull EDH deck, more than really strong one, since its more casual than other constructed format.

Im also hoping they will introduce more way to flip werewolf in this set.


And finally, while reading this, it made me think:

Leeraug: Killers of the Absent Moon Few know of the Leeraug, a relatively small and tight-knit pack of Innistrad's most vicious werewolf predators, but almost all have heard tales of their destruction. The Leeraug are unique in that they hunt under the black night of the new moon, rather than transforming when the moon is full. They favor the flesh and entrails of children, and often steal into homes and orphanages through chimneys or windows left ajar. The Leeraug alpha is Skaharra, a black-furred she-wolf noted for her tendency to kill along bloodlines, murdering entire families in a single night while sparing unrelated farmhands and servants.


Since they are not affected by the moon in the same way than other werewolf, will they have some new way to flip? I can't wait to see... I really hope it is not only flavorfull, but actually influencing the mechanic.
But now, what about that vampire being of Markov bloodline... do you think she will be important?


I think the first one in here have potential as an important member of the markov bloodline, by her look, anyway. ((Markov bloodline is noted by their yellow eyes. Ive seen that somewhere, a while back. I cant seem to find it again, sadly. ))

www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a... 



You're mistaken, all Vampires on Innistrad have yellow eyes, not just the Markov line.
Official Speaker of the Expanded Multiverse Project, Step into Dominia-Embrace the infinite Magic of the Planes. This -> is my favorite smiley, I will use it often and without reason. You have been warned.
The Story of My Love
79035425 wrote:
BURSTING WITH VIGOR!
Trolljuju wiped the sweat from his brow as he continued his slow trudge up the snowy mountain. The wind was strong and fiercely cold, but he pressed against it. Juju knew Beast Engine was somewhere at the peak, waiting for him. But this was not a matter of confronting the forces of nature themselves; that had been accomplished long before, and was now too easy to maintain the manly man's interest. Today, Beast Engine was here waiting for a friend. Trolljuju's mind drifted from his appointment to thoughts of Beast Engine's manliness. The only man in history to punch the fossilized remains of a dinosaur back to life just to punch it to death again. The man who deflected bullets with his pectoral muscles during his daily assassination attempts. The man who cured cancer with a serum made from pure crystalized virility. The man who burst with vigor. Not just a man but a Man- the manliest of all men. A god of masculinity in physical form. Trolljuju's heart fluttered at the memory of him and lightened his steps as he pressed on. Suddenly, he was shaken from his reverie by a deep, powerful rumble in the mountain that shook him to his core. Instinctively, he threw himself to the ground just before the slope ahead of him exploded in a fiery wall of light and heat. So great was the force that the entire upper section of the mountain was vaproized. It scorched Juju's coat, then rose on the air to drift far away, a plume of white-hot ash. When Trolljuju lifted his head to see what was left behind, he beheld a wide, perfectly flat stone plateau, and in the distance he could see a muscular figure, his foot still held up from the kick. There was no doubt it was Beast Engine. As soon as the ground beneath him cooled, Juju cast his heavy pack aside and ran. As the figure grew with closeness, he could see Beast Engine was nude, as was expected. The snow that fell near him turned to a thin wall of steam, looking to Trolljuju's eyes like a barrier. Engine was too strong, too manly to occupy the same space as the ordinary universe. He lived in a world all his own. But fortunately for Juju, it was only an illusion. He ran at full speed into Engine, who caught him with both arms and effortlessly twirled with him, resting with Juju dipped low to the ground in Engine's arms. "Beast Engine, my love," Trolljuju breathed, sturck with awe at Engine's masculine beauty despite the familiarity of his face. Engine just smiled, radiating from every inch of him with incredible strength, yet gentle warmth. "It's been so long, Juju. I've missed you." "Forgive me. I lost contact with you while you were boxing with Death to win back and consume the soul of Theodore Roosevelt. But now I'm here..." Juju lifted one tentative hand to Engine's face, but he pulled away. "You know I cannot give you what you seek. Were we to make love, your body would be destroyed by the force." "I know, of course I would," Juju responded, tears in his eyes. "May I have, at least, one kiss?" "Very well. For you, my friend." Slowly, gingerly, they came closer. But the moment their lips met, a flood of unbridled manliness rushed into Trolljuju, body and soul, and every cell in his body exploded. Beast Engine fell to his knees, and in his grief, he wept. The tears that fell from his face burned deep into the rock beneath him. But slowly, his sorrow turned to conviction. He beat the crap out of Death once. He could do it again.
Thats actually wrong. Look properly. Vampire like ''Bloodline keeper'' Do not have, and I am skipping many.


www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.a...


Read that, I found it !

Actually, some of the vampire have completely red eyes, like stormkrik noble, rakis heir, falkenrath marauders...


And as you can see, the vampire with the snake have red eyes. And if you look at markov patrician, you will see she have yellow eyes.... which support my saying even more.

And well, that girl  tha just been released have those yellow iris with black sclera. So shes from the markov familly, thats for sure. 
Thats actually wrong. Look properly. Vampire like ''Bloodline keeper'' Do not have, and I am skipping many.


www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.a...


Read that, I found it !

Actually, some of the vampire have completely red eyes, like stormkrik noble, rakis heir, falkenrath marauders...


And as you can see, the vampire with the snake have red eyes. And if you look at markov patrician, you will see she have yellow eyes.... which support my saying even more.

And well, that girl  tha just been released have those yellow iris with black sclera. So shes from the markov familly, thats for sure. 

...You realize that that article is from before Inistrad right? It's not the one you're talking about.

While I'm still digging for the one you're misremembering (I remember it as well, and in fact I remember talking about this very thing in it's comment section, you weren't the only one who read it wrong) I did find a more recent article that proves you're partially right.

From A Planeswalker's Guide to Innistrad: Stensia and Vampires;
Vampiric traits. The most distinctive thing about vampires' appearance is their eyes. The sclera is black and the irises gold, silver, or other colors. The skin is pale and cool to the touch. The hair is often black but is sometimes deep purple, dark magenta, burgundy, or even dark blue-green. Some vampires wear wigs, however, for variety, novelty, or to disguise themselves more easily among humans. A vampire's canines are very slightly pronounced at all times, and when they bite someone, the canines extend about a quarter inch. Vampires also tend to have long and slightly curved fingernails.



This confirms that while Innistrad Vampires all have blackened Scleras, their Irises can vary. But there is absolutely nothing that says that the eye color is linked to their family in any way.

I'll still try and find you the article where it makes the connection between Sorin's eyes and Innistrad, because that's what my earlier statement was based on, and I'm pretty sure it's the one you're basing your statement on as well.
Official Speaker of the Expanded Multiverse Project, Step into Dominia-Embrace the infinite Magic of the Planes. This -> is my favorite smiley, I will use it often and without reason. You have been warned.
The Story of My Love
79035425 wrote:
BURSTING WITH VIGOR!
Trolljuju wiped the sweat from his brow as he continued his slow trudge up the snowy mountain. The wind was strong and fiercely cold, but he pressed against it. Juju knew Beast Engine was somewhere at the peak, waiting for him. But this was not a matter of confronting the forces of nature themselves; that had been accomplished long before, and was now too easy to maintain the manly man's interest. Today, Beast Engine was here waiting for a friend. Trolljuju's mind drifted from his appointment to thoughts of Beast Engine's manliness. The only man in history to punch the fossilized remains of a dinosaur back to life just to punch it to death again. The man who deflected bullets with his pectoral muscles during his daily assassination attempts. The man who cured cancer with a serum made from pure crystalized virility. The man who burst with vigor. Not just a man but a Man- the manliest of all men. A god of masculinity in physical form. Trolljuju's heart fluttered at the memory of him and lightened his steps as he pressed on. Suddenly, he was shaken from his reverie by a deep, powerful rumble in the mountain that shook him to his core. Instinctively, he threw himself to the ground just before the slope ahead of him exploded in a fiery wall of light and heat. So great was the force that the entire upper section of the mountain was vaproized. It scorched Juju's coat, then rose on the air to drift far away, a plume of white-hot ash. When Trolljuju lifted his head to see what was left behind, he beheld a wide, perfectly flat stone plateau, and in the distance he could see a muscular figure, his foot still held up from the kick. There was no doubt it was Beast Engine. As soon as the ground beneath him cooled, Juju cast his heavy pack aside and ran. As the figure grew with closeness, he could see Beast Engine was nude, as was expected. The snow that fell near him turned to a thin wall of steam, looking to Trolljuju's eyes like a barrier. Engine was too strong, too manly to occupy the same space as the ordinary universe. He lived in a world all his own. But fortunately for Juju, it was only an illusion. He ran at full speed into Engine, who caught him with both arms and effortlessly twirled with him, resting with Juju dipped low to the ground in Engine's arms. "Beast Engine, my love," Trolljuju breathed, sturck with awe at Engine's masculine beauty despite the familiarity of his face. Engine just smiled, radiating from every inch of him with incredible strength, yet gentle warmth. "It's been so long, Juju. I've missed you." "Forgive me. I lost contact with you while you were boxing with Death to win back and consume the soul of Theodore Roosevelt. But now I'm here..." Juju lifted one tentative hand to Engine's face, but he pulled away. "You know I cannot give you what you seek. Were we to make love, your body would be destroyed by the force." "I know, of course I would," Juju responded, tears in his eyes. "May I have, at least, one kiss?" "Very well. For you, my friend." Slowly, gingerly, they came closer. But the moment their lips met, a flood of unbridled manliness rushed into Trolljuju, body and soul, and every cell in his body exploded. Beast Engine fell to his knees, and in his grief, he wept. The tears that fell from his face burned deep into the rock beneath him. But slowly, his sorrow turned to conviction. He beat the crap out of Death once. He could do it again.
Sign In to post comments