Good campaign to do after Revenge of the Giants?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
My group is just finishing up Revenge of the Giants. It was interesting, but my players didn't really enjoy it. So now I'm looking to wow them. They'll be lvl 17 when it's all done. Does anyone have published campaigns I could run them through?

Thanks

PS> to head off the "write your own" comments. I appreciate that the best story is one you make up - but I'd really like a published campaign. 
I didn't care for RotG either though the DM who ran it for us made it a little more interesting by going Norse mythology with it. Our characters reflected that, so it was a Vikingly good time in spite of the module's issues. (I actually bought it hoping to run it but a brief read-through saw me tossing it aside.)

I'm currently running my PCs through the late paragon tier and while I definitely enjoy the challenge of designing it and they enjoy the challenge of playing it, I can see the problems 4e has with scaling. The fact that I have 3 players is probably the only thing that keeps it balanced. You'll have this problem with pretty much any published module currently on the market for paragon.

For this reason, and if your players are onboard with it, I would recommend starting over at heroic, which is really the sweet spot for 4e. You'll have plenty of options for published adventures at this point including HS1 The Slaying Stone which by all accounts is quite good.

For any decision or adjudication, ask yourself, "Is this going to be fun for everyone?" and "Is this going to lead to the creation of an exciting, memorable story?"

DMs: Dungeon Master 101  |  Session Zero  |  Structure First, Story Last  |  No Myth Roleplaying  |  5e Monster Index & Encounter Calculator
Players: Players 101  |  11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer  |  You Are Not Your Character  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs

Content I Created: Adventure Scenarios  |  Actual Play Reports  |  Tools  |  Game Transcripts

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

We have a second campaign that is in the heroic tier. This is our first 4E campaign, and it's the most advanced any of us have ever been in D&D (we played AD&D 2nd), so there is a strong desire to keep it going - despite the problems of high level campaigning. It's already taking 2 hours for some encoutners.
The only other thing I can think of then would be to run P3 Assault on Nightwyrm Fortress. Dragons seem a good followup to giants. It's still pre-MM3 though. I haven't played it, though I did play P2 Demon Queen's Enclave and liked that one.

You can also try to look up some Living game modules for late paragon. People seem to like those though, again, I haven't run or played in any. Perhaps someone else can comment on that.

For any decision or adjudication, ask yourself, "Is this going to be fun for everyone?" and "Is this going to lead to the creation of an exciting, memorable story?"

DMs: Dungeon Master 101  |  Session Zero  |  Structure First, Story Last  |  No Myth Roleplaying  |  5e Monster Index & Encounter Calculator
Players: Players 101  |  11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer  |  You Are Not Your Character  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs

Content I Created: Adventure Scenarios  |  Actual Play Reports  |  Tools  |  Game Transcripts

If by "campaign" you mean "adventure" the following are suitable options for level 17:

• Assault on Nightworm Fortress (The aforementioned P3)

• City of Aboleths (Dungeon 170) (more of a series of encounters)

• Devil's Due (Dungeon 188) (on a ship, no less!)

Devil's Due is my favorite of these.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
As above mentioned, a run on City of Aboleths might be a good idea.

To address your PS though, even if you don't find you have the time or ingenuity to create a full blown adventure on your own, chucking in a few of your own home-brewed mini-quests seems the best way to compliment a lacking published campaign.  
My group is just finishing up Revenge of the Giants. It was interesting, but my players didn't really enjoy it. So now I'm looking to wow them. They'll be lvl 17 when it's all done. Does anyone have published campaigns I could run them through?

LFR

If by "campaign" you mean "adventure" the following are suitable options for level 17:

• Assault on Nightworm Fortress (The aforementioned P3)

• City of Aboleths (Dungeon 170) (more of a series of encounters)

• Devil's Due (Dungeon 188) (on a ship, no less!)

Devil's Due is my favorite of these.

Great, exactly what I was looking for. I'll give them a read. 

What did you like about Devil's Due? 
The only other thing I can think of then would be to run P3 Assault on Nightwyrm Fortress. Dragons seem a good followup to giants. It's still pre-MM3 though. I haven't played it, though I did play P2 Demon Queen's Enclave and liked that one.

You can also try to look up some Living game modules for late paragon. People seem to like those though, again, I haven't run or played in any. Perhaps someone else can comment on that.

Thanks, I had planned to do the P2 Demon Queen's Enclave originally, because it follows the storyline I had been using previously. 

What are "Living game modules for late paragon" and where can I find them?

Thanks! 
mvincent posted a link above.

What are "Living game modules for late paragon" and where can I find them?

LFR
How about "Revenge of the Giants 2:  Giants in Paradise" and set it in a tropical wilderness full of Jurassic-Park-style dinosaurs just waiting to feast on the nice squishy PCs?

T 
Yeah. I did just kill your BBEG with a vorpal frisbee. Problem?
What did you like about Devil's Due? 

• It's on a ship!

• It can fit into any campaign that involves some travel by sea or by astral schooner.

•      If by sea (which I did) you need to adjust a little bit, but not much.

• It involves NPCs that are not meant to be killed, but rather, interacted with.

• It's on a ship!

• The combat encounter is strong-balanced, requiring the PCs to fight in a semi-confined space, but allowing all roles to shine.

•      I added grunts (minions) to the first encounter to allow some of the controller features to shine more.

• It has devils!

•      It involves bargaining with devils!

• The second encounter can be with combat or (preferably) non-combat resolution.

•      The PCs souls are at stake, and can be lost without derailing the campaign.

•      If the PCs souls are lost, this can lead to more adventures!

• Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Thanks a lot, Seeker95. Now I want to play in that adventure.

When are you running it again?  

I hope to run a heavily down-leveled version of it as a Winter-break one-shot for the kids in my youth group (I teach high school age Sunday school) that like to play. Will you find yourself in the North Carolina area at that time?

(I have often welcomed alumni into my game as co-DMs playing a specific NPC or group of NPCs).
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)

I hope to run a heavily down-leveled version of it as a Winter-break one-shot for the kids in my youth group (I teach high school age Sunday school) that like to play. Will you find yourself in the North Carolina area at that time?

(I have often welcomed alumni into my game as co-DMs playing a specific NPC or group of NPCs).

Alas, no, I live in South America and have no plans to go back to the United States anytime soon. But good luck with that game. Perhaps I can encourage one of my online players to run it. Sounds like a good story.

...HS1 The Slaying Stone which by all accounts is quite good.

Indeed it is!  I begin running that this Saturday.  It is a role-playing heavy, sandbox type of adventure that can unfold in lots of different ways with an "on-their-toes" DM.  It only has 13 or 14 encounters (mix of combat and skill challenge) and should only take the PCs just into 2nd level (1250 XP if I remember correctly).  It is very well written and could be used as a spring board into HS2 The Orcs of Stonefang Pass (albeit with some intervening adventuring) which I understand is also a very good adventure.

Kalex the Omen 
Dungeonmaster Extraordinaire

OSR Fan? Our Big Announcement™ is here!

Please join our forums!

Concerning Player Rules Bias
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
Gaining victory through rules bias is a hollow victory and they know it.
Concerning "Default" Rules
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
The argument goes, that some idiot at the table might claim that because there is a "default" that is the only true way to play D&D. An idiotic misconception that should be quite easy to disprove just by reading the rules, coming to these forums, or sending a quick note off to Customer Support and sharing the inevitable response with the group. BTW, I'm not just talking about Next when I say this. Of course, D&D has always been this way since at least the late 70's when I began playing.

Sign In to post comments