Magic Arcana / Card of the Day / Daily Deck for December, 2011

107 posts / 0 new
Last post

That all said, it should ne noted that other large last sets are not considered standalone. You guys are either new players, or have really short memories, but they have pushed for increased space in final sets before (Dissension, Alara Reborn) simply to develop a few more cards, many of them drawn from the card file as rejects from previous sets that didn't quite fit (Dissension ended up getting the wedge split cards and the Nephilim as a result, where the latter were intended for earlier release). You also seem to think this will be a RoE repeat, and that's just feeding into your recent experiences. There has been no announcement that this is a "two-block" Block, like Zendikar/Rise and Lorwyn/Shadowmoor, and that was raised when those blocks' second sets were released. You should have no worries about this, and consider the effect of a large end-block pool, just as TSP had to deal with it in the beginning.

Nope, I've been playing since '95; but when the article itself says "Avacyn Restored will be drafted by itself.", I tend to believe them
I must be missing something, but I don't see how Heroic Defiance fit this week's Card of the Day theme. Unless the trick is that it's "Defying" the theme?

EDIT: I figured it out just after posting this... That theme is brilliant!

I haven't figured it out yet...  Help me out?
I must be missing something, but I don't see how Heroic Defiance fit this week's Card of the Day theme. Unless the trick is that it's "Defying" the theme?

EDIT: I figured it out just after posting this... That theme is brilliant!

I haven't figured it out yet...  Help me out?

It's Hesiod's Five Ages of Man: Golden, Silver, Bronze, Heroic, and Iron.
@ Friday's Daily Deckliist:
Take a really good deck, replace 3 good cards with bad cards, and surprise, it's still a pretty good deck.   Parallel Lives is jank, even in a deck full of token making.
@ Friday's Daily Deckliist:
Take a really good deck, replace 3 good cards with bad cards, and surprise, it's still a pretty good deck.   Parallel Lives is jank, even in a deck full of token making.

The daily deck is actually rather different from the usual version of township tokens in that he replaced more than just "3 good cards" with Parallel Lives.  His version is a lot slower than the normal version, but it has a ramp element giving it a potentially stronger midgame, and probably a better endgame.  It's still fast enough to stall a typical aggro deck, and you're right that the core is the same core as the normal GW Tokens, meaning that it is still pretty strong for the most part.  

It's the ramp part though that makes Parallel lives not quite as "jank," although I still don't know if it's really a good card yet.  Because he is able to amass a stronger mana base that much quicker, he is that much more likely to be able to spend the 4 mana, even knowing it won't have an impact yet, because, guess what! It might still have an impact after all that turn, given that he could have gotten hero of bladehold out turn 3, so parallel lives will give him the extra two tokens, and more in the future.  Also, he could theoretically have the Mimic Vat/Parallel Lives combo out pretty early, and then Day of Judgement to clear the board, mimic vat to create two Hero of Bladehold (or Geist-Honored Monk), and there's 8 1/1 tokens, which with the two Hero of Bladehold tokens, that's 34 damage straight at your opponent's face.

**Note** I don't actually know if the deck would be quite as viable in a tournament, but it is different enough that it could be considered.  Also, as they said in the blip at the top, "bring it to your Friday Night magic" where it would probably do very well if you understand the deck

Oh, I never would have gotten that, not being familiar with Hesiod.  That's an excellent CotD theme!

Clearly Hesiod predated the Rule of Five (or whatever it's supposed to be called officially).  The last time Wizards broke that rule I think was in Shards of Alara, with Sedraxis Specter, Broodmate Dragon, Realm Razer, some Bant creature I forget, and.... Punish Ignorance.  Aaron Forsythe hit this card during his short-lived Card Comment of the Day, and that in turn caused it to lodge in my mind as being annoying - he thought there was nothing wrong about breaking the cycle of rare creatures for the shards, but I'm annoyed and wonder what awesome Esper creature could have gone here instead.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi

Clearly Hesiod predated the Rule of Five (or whatever it's supposed to be called officially).  The last time Wizards broke that rule I think was in Shards of Alara, with Sedraxis Specter, Broodmate Dragon, Realm Razer, some Bant creature I forget, and.... Punish Ignorance.  Aaron Forsythe hit this card during his short-lived Card Comment of the Day, and that in turn caused it to lodge in my mind as being annoying - he thought there was nothing wrong about breaking the cycle of rare creatures for the shards, but I'm annoyed and wonder what awesome Esper creature could have gone here instead.

I think you got your cycles mixed up. Punish Ignorance isn't part of that cycle, the others are just power rares without any effective cycling aside from being rare and doing something. The actual "cycles" involved was, if I recall correctly, the uncommon Charm cycle, the CDDE mythic cycle (Hellkite Overlord and kin), Tower Gargoyle, Kederekt Creeper [a common, 'cause otherwise it would be Fire-Field Ogre which, I suppose, is just as effective], Sprouting Thrinax, Woolly Thoctar and Rhox War Monk. Rares worked in a large range, such as Sedraxis Specter and Stoic Angel, but Punish Ignorance isn't even a creature, in a break with the other Shard creatures, simply because there is a dearth in SoA for rare [manacost]wub[/manacost] creatures. This implies that either there is no real cycle here (if there is, it's extremely loose), or that the structure was less on the feeling "obvious" cycles than filling in slots with effective cards, and making sure the CDE costs were followed. Note that CDDE appears on six cards, not five, while CDE appears on a majority of them. What you seem to have done is merely grabbed all the rare CDE cards together, and forced them into a "cycle," which seems odd.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)

Aaron never said it was supposed to be a cycle of creatures. He only commented on it not fitting with the shard's mechanical themes:

The other consists of Broodmate Dragon, Sedraxis Specter, Realm Razer, Stoic Angel, and this card--essentially just a bunch of cool cards with varying levels of connectivity to the rest of the set. Sedraxis Specter actually has its shard’s mechanic, Stoic Angel was designed to play well with exalted cards, and Broodmate Dragon is, well, a dragon, which is a big part of Jund’s identity. Realm Razer kind of fits with Naya’s plan of get out a bunch of huge creatures (and then make the lands go away). Punish Ignorance, on the other hand, really has nothing to do with Esper's colored artifacts theme.

Also, I think Mikaeus broke the rule too, he should've been WG.  
I think you got your cycles mixed up. Punish Ignorance isn't part of that cycle, the others are just power rares without any effective cycling aside from being rare and doing something.

The fact that they're rare (and don't have Ultimatim in their names) IS what makes them a cycle.  They are "the cycle of three-color non-Ultimatum rares in Shards of Alara".  This is enough to qualify them as a cycle by R&D's standards - Rarity is one of the weightiest factors in how R&D makes cards.  The fact that the cards have nothing to do with each other means they're a bad cycle, but they do count, and the irregularity in them is transparent given their visibility as the only cards of their exact colors in their exact rarity apart from a more obvious cycle.
but Punish Ignorance isn't even a creature

That was kind of my point dude.
in a break with the other Shard creatures, simply because there is a dearth in SoA for rare [manacost]wub[/manacost] creatures.

Mirrorshine Phantasm
Creature - Spirit, WUB, 1/1
Flying.
WB, Remove a creature card in a graveyard from the game: Put a 1/1 white and black Spirit token into play.
UUU, TAP: Each Spirit becomes a copy of target creature card in a graveyard until end of turn.
---
There are no shortage of creature concepts under any circumstances period.  If Wizards didn't make a creature for this slot it's because they didn't think it was important that they did so.  I disagree - the Ultimatums were all sorceries or instants, so their correspondents in these slots needed to be permanents.  (If nothing else I doubt Punish Ignorance would have broken the game at uncommon, they could have tossed Vigilance onto Tower Gargoyle and made it a rare, maybe Limited would have been worse off but then if you drafted Esper you had to put up with the astonishing awfulness of nearly every blue common in SOA, lack of uncommon Gargoyles would just have made it easier to avoid the temptation, or else easier for Wizards to make cards like Vectis Silencers suck slightly less than was necessary to keep Esper from being borked.)
---
Toby:  I don't think Mikaeus is intended to correspond to Grimgrin, Olivia and St. Traft; there isn't a matching werewolf in any case so I suspect both an RG werewolf lord and a GW human lord are coming in DA, and that Mikaeus is just a one-off legend akin to Ob Nixilis in Zendikar or Glissa in MBS.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
I think you got your cycles mixed up. Punish Ignorance isn't part of that cycle, the others are just power rares without any effective cycling aside from being rare and doing something.

The fact that they're rare (and don't have Ultimatim in their names) IS what makes them a cycle.  They are "the cycle of three-color non-Ultimatum rares in Shards of Alara".  This is enough to qualify them as a cycle by R&D's standards - Rarity is one of the weightiest factors in how R&D makes cards.  The fact that the cards have nothing to do with each other means they're a bad cycle, but they do count, and the irregularity in them is transparent given their visibility as the only cards of their exact colors in their exact rarity apart from a more obvious cycle.
but Punish Ignorance isn't even a creature

That was kind of my point dude.
in a break with the other Shard creatures, simply because there is a dearth in SoA for rare [manacost]wub[/manacost] creatures.

Mirrorshine Phantasm
Creature - Spirit, WUB, 1/1
Flying.
WB, Remove a creature card in a graveyard from the game: Put a 1/1 white and black Spirit token into play.
UUU, TAP: Each Spirit becomes a copy of target creature card in a graveyard until end of turn.
---
There are no shortage of creature concepts under any circumstances period.  If Wizards didn't make a creature for this slot it's because they didn't think it was important that they did so.  I disagree - the Ultimatums were all sorceries or instants, so their correspondents in these slots needed to be permanents.  (If nothing else I doubt Punish Ignorance would have broken the game at uncommon, they could have tossed Vigilance onto Tower Gargoyle and made it a rare, maybe Limited would have been worse off but then if you drafted Esper you had to put up with the astonishing awfulness of nearly every blue common in SOA, lack of uncommon Gargoyles would just have made it easier to avoid the temptation, or else easier for Wizards to make cards like Vectis Silencers suck slightly less than was necessary to keep Esper from being borked.)
---
Toby:  I don't think Mikaeus is intended to correspond to Grimgrin, Olivia and St. Traft; there isn't a matching werewolf in any case so I suspect both an RG werewolf lord and a GW human lord are coming in DA, and that Mikaeus is just a one-off legend akin to Ob Nixilis in Zendikar or Glissa in MBS.

I tend to think that there has to be a common connecting theme across cards despite rarity to create something even remotely like a cycle. They don't have to be tight (Sowing Salt and kin, the Titans, or the Keepers from Exodus), or loose (Legendary lands from Urza's Saga, Grandeur legends from Future Sight), but there has to be some structural thread that combines them. Rarity isn't even implicit in this one because the outlier, a spell, doesn't even have the same effective mana cost structure, even were it to be designed as a piece of the cycle in the first place. It's about the expectation of the Rule of Five, that when you break it it should be obvious and noticeable (that's the point of the Rule of Five). As you note, that's not the case here, it just happens to be the only other rare that isn't in other cycles, so it must be in this cycle! Even if designed as true, it stands too far out without any blatant pointers (cost, effect, type) to be effective as part of the cycle, which implies it replaced or was modified from the original holder, if there was truly a cycle.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)

No, MaRo has confirmed on Tumblr they were designed as a cycle of 5 legendary mythics, 1 for each tribe. When they made a mythic planeswalker, Garruk, they decided to push off the mythic werewolf to the second set (they couldn't get 2 mythic double-faced cards on the sheet). 
This thread is for discussion of magicthegathering.com's Magic Arcana, Card of the Day, and Daily Decks features for the month of December, 2011.

dose anybody have any ideas for a top teir plainswalker deck?

Dose any body know how to make a plainswalker deck

Please ask that in the Casual Play forums. That's where you'll get deck help.

And double posting is frowned upon here. I was about to report you for spamming, but I'll give you a chance to be corrected.

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

Don't even try. Plainswalker decks are notoriously bad. If you are really set on it, Aysen Highway, Conversion and Graceful Antelope would be your best bets.

Don't even try. Plainswalker decks are notoriously bad. If you are really set on it, Aysen Highway, Conversion and Graceful Antelope would be your best bets.

Don't forget Boggart Arsonists and Zodiac Rooster!
"I’m going out on a limb and say that undying is better than persist." --- Mark Rosewater

Don't forget Boggart Arsonists and Zodiac Rooster!

Stil though, you're completely shut down by a Great Wall, you better pack some enchantment removal.
Official Speaker of the Expanded Multiverse Project, Step into Dominia-Embrace the infinite Magic of the Planes. This -> is my favorite smiley, I will use it often and without reason. You have been warned.
The Story of My Love
79035425 wrote:
BURSTING WITH VIGOR!
Trolljuju wiped the sweat from his brow as he continued his slow trudge up the snowy mountain. The wind was strong and fiercely cold, but he pressed against it. Juju knew Beast Engine was somewhere at the peak, waiting for him. But this was not a matter of confronting the forces of nature themselves; that had been accomplished long before, and was now too easy to maintain the manly man's interest. Today, Beast Engine was here waiting for a friend. Trolljuju's mind drifted from his appointment to thoughts of Beast Engine's manliness. The only man in history to punch the fossilized remains of a dinosaur back to life just to punch it to death again. The man who deflected bullets with his pectoral muscles during his daily assassination attempts. The man who cured cancer with a serum made from pure crystalized virility. The man who burst with vigor. Not just a man but a Man- the manliest of all men. A god of masculinity in physical form. Trolljuju's heart fluttered at the memory of him and lightened his steps as he pressed on. Suddenly, he was shaken from his reverie by a deep, powerful rumble in the mountain that shook him to his core. Instinctively, he threw himself to the ground just before the slope ahead of him exploded in a fiery wall of light and heat. So great was the force that the entire upper section of the mountain was vaproized. It scorched Juju's coat, then rose on the air to drift far away, a plume of white-hot ash. When Trolljuju lifted his head to see what was left behind, he beheld a wide, perfectly flat stone plateau, and in the distance he could see a muscular figure, his foot still held up from the kick. There was no doubt it was Beast Engine. As soon as the ground beneath him cooled, Juju cast his heavy pack aside and ran. As the figure grew with closeness, he could see Beast Engine was nude, as was expected. The snow that fell near him turned to a thin wall of steam, looking to Trolljuju's eyes like a barrier. Engine was too strong, too manly to occupy the same space as the ordinary universe. He lived in a world all his own. But fortunately for Juju, it was only an illusion. He ran at full speed into Engine, who caught him with both arms and effortlessly twirled with him, resting with Juju dipped low to the ground in Engine's arms. "Beast Engine, my love," Trolljuju breathed, sturck with awe at Engine's masculine beauty despite the familiarity of his face. Engine just smiled, radiating from every inch of him with incredible strength, yet gentle warmth. "It's been so long, Juju. I've missed you." "Forgive me. I lost contact with you while you were boxing with Death to win back and consume the soul of Theodore Roosevelt. But now I'm here..." Juju lifted one tentative hand to Engine's face, but he pulled away. "You know I cannot give you what you seek. Were we to make love, your body would be destroyed by the force." "I know, of course I would," Juju responded, tears in his eyes. "May I have, at least, one kiss?" "Very well. For you, my friend." Slowly, gingerly, they came closer. But the moment their lips met, a flood of unbridled manliness rushed into Trolljuju, body and soul, and every cell in his body exploded. Beast Engine fell to his knees, and in his grief, he wept. The tears that fell from his face burned deep into the rock beneath him. But slowly, his sorrow turned to conviction. He beat the crap out of Death once. He could do it again.
It's such a shame that the blocks surrounding Scars Block got larger than normal third sets, instead of Scars Block itself. This arcana reminds me how New Phyrexia really did have some of the best art around.
New Phyrexia would've worked for the third set shift if it weren't for infect.
blah blah metal lyrics
I think I'm getting tired of this "third set shift". More, it's about breaking blocks in two, of which this is the third attempt. It is also a copy of what happened not two years ago with Zendikar. This is done simply to enforce a draft environment and drive sales up on two ends, meaning players will be required to train to draft in two close-to environments. Perhaps this appeals to the guys in Dev, many of whom are Limited-lovers, but this being to pale because other people have "been there, done that." The standard block arrangement, Big-little-little, seems to be fading in value and I think it's because the guys designing the formats (MaRo) are bored with doing it constantly. It makes sense to change what doesn't work, but the format has worked for a very long time; the challenge is working in the system, but the guys on the design side seem to want to redesign boxes so they don't have to work in them anymore. Players get turned off of what isn't familiar or evocative, or what resonates, and bizarre set arrangements which have been done before don't actually seem to resonate, especially with recent memory.

As an analogy, it's okay to try that new spicy mustard sauce once in a while, but sometimes you just want plain mayo and mustard on your salad, and will find that the more you have the latter, the more special the former will become; switching thigns will merely transpose the elements: mayo will become "special," spicy will become "normal," and you'll re-monkey the wrench to screw with things again.

I think you guys need to try again, but back to basics. I really wonder if you guys lost sight of the pure basics in your drive to get more money and new people addicted to the ink. Tsk tsk.

'07 join date

1 post

wat 
I get the "yo dawg" reference to the xzibit meme, but I don't see the relevance to holding a torch / not being blocked by vampires / sacrificing to deal damage??
I get the "yo dawg" reference to the xzibit meme, but I don't see the relevance to holding a torch / not being blocked by vampires / sacrificing to deal damage??

The playtest stickers for the Innistrad Blazing Torch cards were put on Zendikar Blazing Torch cards.

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

Sign In to post comments