Magic Arcana / Card of the Day / Daily Deck for December, 2011

107 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of magicthegathering.com's Magic Arcana, Card of the Day, and Daily Decks features for the month of December, 2011.
3 color allied lands in Dark Ascension?
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

Valakut, the molten Savage Lands. Yeah.
Part of a cycle, so we either get alt-art for one or more months of these things, and it's not even Standard legal. And I thought it was bad when they made cards that were rotating just a few months after their printing. ****ing. Awesome. At least it's in a month when I'm only going a few weeks so I don't care that I can't even use it for my EDH decks.
I must say, the volcanic aspect of this, Valakut, and both of the Jund-themed Mountains makes for a very pleasant theme, but I'm worried if they are pushing this a little too much. Then again, most Mountain art is a bit brighter and atmospheric, so ... good stuff. Hints on when this will come online, though, would be nice.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
oh man i thought that was valakut when i saw the artwork by itself.
oh man i thought that was valakut when i saw the artwork by itself.

^This

I am still hoping to get a few of of the Savage Lands to put in the Jund deck I had when it was Standard legal. 
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
So, is there any chance of Witchbane Orb ever being the Wallpaper of the Week? I'm pretty sure that it's my favorite art in Innistrad and it seems like the right sort of art for a wallpaper.
As long as the wallpapers continue to have these ugly frames again, I won't even bother to klick them.
Things I'd like to see in a future Commander release or product that coincides with new material designed to help the Commander format (with the obvious desire that they, unlike Planechase, be available online). Below the fold for those who do not want to read it:

Show

1. A few more enemy colored legends. The purpose there, of course, is to enable strategies in color slices which are occasional, but fun, such as Tribal. These include:

A [manacost]WB[/manacost] Knight legend. (Ihsan Reborn! or something that allows you to run Haakon.) So far, most [manacost]WB[/manacost] legends like you running tokens of sort (GC eats them, Teysa uses them to exile stuff, and Vish Kal eats then spits them back out -- Selenia is something of an outlier, and Kaalia seems better than her for "Angel" tribal anyways). But a synergistic commander for cheaper aggressive decks seems lacking.

[manacost]BG[/manacost] is currently the most overpopulated enemy pairing for legends (7), while GU is the weakest (3). [manacost]GU[/manacost] should gain something that helps enable pure control, as Momir is definitively a combo card, and Kraj as well, while Edric enforces both an aggressive "steam" build or Forbiddian-type control. [manacost]GU[/manacost] lacks a pure control card, and I wonder if a [manacost]GU[manacost] Faerie might work, just to add in some non-Oona control elements in Tribal? Otherwise, consider a flying Seedborn Muse of sorts (but smaller), or the ability to pop out Faerie creatures at instant speed. This should come in handy with a few more Green creatures that work well with flash, but lack it, or new Green Faeries (of all nonwhite, nonblack Faeries, there are currently only 10 with flash, and a good deal more without it). In the least, if new enemy-colored legends were made, GU should get more than any other color simply to make up for the brevity.

[manacost]UR[/manacost] is practically tied to card draw/disruption, with almost no change, making decks that step out of this cycle difficult to trust. To paraphrase, "Where there's Nin, there's Mizzet." A little more inventive variety would be interesting, on the lines of a build-around rather than something that just get's Voltroned like Tibor and Lumia.

Basandra and Jor are great examples of [manacost]RW[/manacost] legends that aren't "damage/life" hybrids, allowing them to stand outside the norm. While Jor is a lot like Agrus in many ways, he requires a different more Voltron build, while Agrus asks you to play with creatures of multiple colors that attack (so no defensiveness). This creates a great spectrum in this pairing that isn't really present in other enemy pairs, and that should be rectified.

2. New enemy-colored lands, on the theme of lands such as Invasion's Coastal Tower, which can enable cheaper alternatives to the duals of Ravnica or Alpha. Alternatively, enemy-colored Odyssey filters (such as Sungrass Prairie) could be a great alternative.

3. Wedge spells.

The absense of any assortment of useful wedge spells is glaring in light of the wedge commanders produced in Commander. While Apocalypse provided several tools (cards like underused Guided Passage or the Volvers) these are limited in respect to their functions, and in some cases just terrible for what they are intended to do: there are always better alternatives in the arcs or in allied colors. The most interesting of enemy-colored cards from Ravnica are, I think, the split cards. In this case, wedge splits (e.g., Crime/Punishment) can only be played in Wedge or 5 color decks, and their use tends to be restricted by the usefulness they provide. When the commanders are nonsynergistic with the card, this leaves them essentially non-useful, and that seems a waste.

Wedge-charms are certainly at the top of this list, and if we wanted to they could be rare to make up for the arc-charms already produced (Shards and Invasion). They should have corresponding power. Additionally, non-charm wedge spells can be used that encompass the philosophies of wedges, once you actually get that written down, that can allow a variety of decks use.

BGW can have a Reanimate-effect, and so forth. Departing from the "Chinese Menu" of effects, or "effect" then two things the other colors do tacked on (extra damage, extra life) seems weaksauce.

Wedge commanders that enable utility of things such as the Wedge splits, making those cards more useful. Wedge commanders, unlike Arc commanders, lack variety. [manacost]BGW[/manacost] can sit out on this one as it currently has more legends than other wedges (thanks to Doran). Consider what would have to be done to make Odds/Ends useful in commander, much less Research/Development (unless you're allowed to use a sideboard, which is not always the case!), and then Bound/Determined is only seemingly useful in Child of Alara decks. Arc, on the other hand, got a number of essentially Chinese Menu-style splits which never required them to debate their functionality, especially when they acted as removal or tempo in cases where they were needed: Rise/Fall is crazy good, and Hit/Run comes in a close second. To make these useful, variety should be added to allow players to make use of those quirky things from various sets that would seemingly only require that additional piece to really work.

Allied colored cards that work better when you do something their mutual enemy cares about, or when casting a spell of their mutual enemy's color, making it a wedge-helper card. These can be creatures, enchantments, etc., without being legends. One can also consider cards like the Vows that are Auras which grant abilities relevant to the colors (much like the Deity-Auras from Shadowmoor). These would be for the more casual "fun" crowd than the cutthroat crowd.

4. More interesting ways to deal with perennial problems and trouble cards, such as Tooth and Nail, indestructible cards, mass land destruction. For every answer to a problem, there should be an answer to that answer, and so forth, without having to play Blue. Stranglehold is one such card, and excellent, as is the development of new "tuck" cards ("shuffle object into library," "put on bottom of library," etc.).

Answers and development of solutions to alternative win conditions (infect, mill) that aren't restricted to those terrible Eldrazi legends (which are never used for just this purpose) or Elixir of Immortality. That is, I'd like a few other cards whose purpose is to shuffle the grave into the library when milled that can get themselves BACK out of your hand. Example:

Hidden to preserve any WotC folks from reading something that they don't want to

[CARDNAME] - [manacost]1[/manacost]
Artifact
When ~ is put into a graveyard from anywhere, exile it. If you do, shuffle your graveyard into your library.
Cycling [manacost]4[/manacost]

Thus this effect can go anywhere, and you are not forced to play Blue or Green for it. It also stops itself from being an engine card by exiling itself mandatorily. The only problem is that, unlike the Elixir, it cannot infinitely recur itself, but then you can use both, and the use as a cantrip is also beneficial.

Additionally, the typical response to mana ramp is land destruction, which has justified the ability of deck to go into combo Crucible removal, despite that this is commonly used in control decks that try to dominate the board themselves. This is not necessarily a solution, and any deck using Crucible is threatened for doing something it may not actually be doing. This is warping. This has led to the effect of Primeval Titan, above the others, to utterly dominate the table if protected. solutions to this that do not promote more problems can simply be effects in the form of Stranglehold that inhibit (rather than punish) land ramp. At a cheap enough cost, this can be dropped as early as turn 3 to help fight Azusa into Blightsteel ramp, or Primeval, or any assortment of things.

5. Wedge lacks cheap support cards in those colors whose colors benefit synergies. Of all Wedge cards, what is most lacking is the ability to synergize other pieces of the deck. Arc cards have this, such as Wargate and Sprouting Thrinax, but Wedge lacks "ordinary" Wedge effects, and this is very stiltifying. This has the effect of Wedge decks being filled with lots of monocolored effects, while Arcs can throw multicolored and Arc effects around like "it ain't no thang," and be very synergistic. This tends to lead to combo relationships, for which the commander is a proxy (any commander, even a 5 color commander, could work just as well). A stronger sense of identity with decks would be more interesting and "fun," rather than the sense that if you see one [manacost]GUB[/manacost] deck, you've seen them all (or in fact any deck that's [manacost]BG[/manacost]X has the overhaning threat of probably using Hermit Druid + combo unless proven otherwise, or all Jhoira of the Ghitu decks are of Obliterate + Blightsteel Colossus variety).

6. Weenie helpers that work on your colors, such as a "main color" that cares about its enemies, with differing effects, much how Planeshift's Familiars, Apocalypse's Sanctuaries, or Eventide's Mimics operates, thus, cheapening, doing, or becoming a thing when certain other effects align.

7. Identities for different directions. One of the problems I think Commander as a format suffers from is that if you are in a color, there are automatic choices for your deck if you are competitive. It makes me feel like Commander is trying too hard to be Legacy, even competitively. The dearth of a casual identity in light of this, given the prevalence of power cards in certain colors (you are damned if you are not playing Primevail, T&N and Witness in Green, much less NO etc.) causes the game to suffer when players are promoted to playing "GoodStuff." Some level of attainable power that synergizes lesser strategies can make some "bad" commanders in certain color pairs more viable by extension of using these cards, and thus affirm a distinct identity. Thus "bad" becomes "good." This can include, but not be limited to, variations on Muraganda Petroglyphs and the use of vanilla legends. A cycle, for example, promoting nontoken pump to undercosted vanilla creatures can allow vanilla legends to be more useful, so I can finally make that The Lady of the Mountain Giants tribal deck! (Just kidding.)
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
Man, Masques Block - that takes me back.  I remember playing a surprisingly solid Big Green control deck - it had a few issues with Rising Waters but was still pretty solid, and a whole lot of fun.  One thing I wish we got with the old releases online is block constructed formats to go with.  Okay, so Urza's Block was still broken six ways from Sunday, but more people deserve to experience TSE constructed, or Masques block (Pirates!) or MVW, or... etc, etc.  Most of those were surprisingly vibrant formats (TSE got a lot worse with Exodus, admittedly) and they'd be a blast to play again.
I just noticed that other than Distorting Lens and Forced March, you can get every card in the B/G deck from Masques Block Preconstructed Decks.
As much as Masques Block is crapped all over for being the biggest throttle-down since Revised, it's freakin' full of esoteric goodies.
RE: The Daily Deck - Heartless Black-Red  Olivia Voldaren is a brilliant card to play since she can negate the -1/-1 drawback so easilly with her pinging ability.  Really a great piece of tech.
Man, Iona would have been so much less obnoxious if she'd stayed that way.
blah blah metal lyrics
The first paragraph of today's arcana doesn't match the rest of the article
Official Speaker of the Expanded Multiverse Project, Step into Dominia-Embrace the infinite Magic of the Planes. This -> is my favorite smiley, I will use it often and without reason. You have been warned.
The Story of My Love
79035425 wrote:
BURSTING WITH VIGOR!
Trolljuju wiped the sweat from his brow as he continued his slow trudge up the snowy mountain. The wind was strong and fiercely cold, but he pressed against it. Juju knew Beast Engine was somewhere at the peak, waiting for him. But this was not a matter of confronting the forces of nature themselves; that had been accomplished long before, and was now too easy to maintain the manly man's interest. Today, Beast Engine was here waiting for a friend. Trolljuju's mind drifted from his appointment to thoughts of Beast Engine's manliness. The only man in history to punch the fossilized remains of a dinosaur back to life just to punch it to death again. The man who deflected bullets with his pectoral muscles during his daily assassination attempts. The man who cured cancer with a serum made from pure crystalized virility. The man who burst with vigor. Not just a man but a Man- the manliest of all men. A god of masculinity in physical form. Trolljuju's heart fluttered at the memory of him and lightened his steps as he pressed on. Suddenly, he was shaken from his reverie by a deep, powerful rumble in the mountain that shook him to his core. Instinctively, he threw himself to the ground just before the slope ahead of him exploded in a fiery wall of light and heat. So great was the force that the entire upper section of the mountain was vaproized. It scorched Juju's coat, then rose on the air to drift far away, a plume of white-hot ash. When Trolljuju lifted his head to see what was left behind, he beheld a wide, perfectly flat stone plateau, and in the distance he could see a muscular figure, his foot still held up from the kick. There was no doubt it was Beast Engine. As soon as the ground beneath him cooled, Juju cast his heavy pack aside and ran. As the figure grew with closeness, he could see Beast Engine was nude, as was expected. The snow that fell near him turned to a thin wall of steam, looking to Trolljuju's eyes like a barrier. Engine was too strong, too manly to occupy the same space as the ordinary universe. He lived in a world all his own. But fortunately for Juju, it was only an illusion. He ran at full speed into Engine, who caught him with both arms and effortlessly twirled with him, resting with Juju dipped low to the ground in Engine's arms. "Beast Engine, my love," Trolljuju breathed, sturck with awe at Engine's masculine beauty despite the familiarity of his face. Engine just smiled, radiating from every inch of him with incredible strength, yet gentle warmth. "It's been so long, Juju. I've missed you." "Forgive me. I lost contact with you while you were boxing with Death to win back and consume the soul of Theodore Roosevelt. But now I'm here..." Juju lifted one tentative hand to Engine's face, but he pulled away. "You know I cannot give you what you seek. Were we to make love, your body would be destroyed by the force." "I know, of course I would," Juju responded, tears in his eyes. "May I have, at least, one kiss?" "Very well. For you, my friend." Slowly, gingerly, they came closer. But the moment their lips met, a flood of unbridled manliness rushed into Trolljuju, body and soul, and every cell in his body exploded. Beast Engine fell to his knees, and in his grief, he wept. The tears that fell from his face burned deep into the rock beneath him. But slowly, his sorrow turned to conviction. He beat the crap out of Death once. He could do it again.

7. Identities for different directions. One of the problems I think Commander as a format suffers from is that if you are in a color, there are automatic choices for your deck if you are competitive. It makes me feel like Commander is trying too hard to be Legacy, even competitively. The dearth of a casual identity in light of this, given the prevalence of power cards in certain colors (you are damned if you are not playing Primevail, T&N and Witness in Green, much less NO etc.) causes the game to suffer when players are promoted to playing "GoodStuff." Some level of attainable power that synergizes lesser strategies can make some "bad" commanders in certain color pairs more viable by extension of using these cards, and thus affirm a distinct identity. Thus "bad" becomes "good." This can include, but not be limited to, variations on Muraganda Petroglyphs and the use of vanilla legends. A cycle, for example, promoting nontoken pump to undercosted vanilla creatures can allow vanilla legends to be more useful, so I can finally make that The Lady of the Mountain Giants tribal deck! (Just kidding.)[/spoiler]

Commander is an inherently broken format.
You are not supposed to be competitive, or goodstuff. You are supposed to be regulating yourself. I don't know what "dearth of a casual identity" you're talking about, I think the following message from the RC is quite clear: mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1...

Now this isn't to say you shouldn't play Commander competitively or anything. Whatever floats your boat. This is to say that because you're deviating, it's your responsibility to deal with the problems you create.

7. Identities for different directions. One of the problems I think Commander as a format suffers from is that if you are in a color, there are automatic choices for your deck if you are competitive. It makes me feel like Commander is trying too hard to be Legacy, even competitively. The dearth of a casual identity in light of this, given the prevalence of power cards in certain colors (you are damned if you are not playing Primevail, T&N and Witness in Green, much less NO etc.) causes the game to suffer when players are promoted to playing "GoodStuff." Some level of attainable power that synergizes lesser strategies can make some "bad" commanders in certain color pairs more viable by extension of using these cards, and thus affirm a distinct identity. Thus "bad" becomes "good." This can include, but not be limited to, variations on Muraganda Petroglyphs and the use of vanilla legends. A cycle, for example, promoting nontoken pump to undercosted vanilla creatures can allow vanilla legends to be more useful, so I can finally make that The Lady of the Mountain Giants tribal deck! (Just kidding.)[/spoiler]

Commander is an inherently broken format.
You are not supposed to be competitive, or goodstuff. You are supposed to be regulating yourself. I don't know what "dearth of a casual identity" you're talking about, I think the following message from the RC is quite clear: mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1...

Now this isn't to say you shouldn't play Commander competitively or anything. Whatever floats your boat. This is to say that because you're deviating, it's your responsibility to deal with the problems you create.

The "what floats your boat" message, and Sheldon Meanery's general philosophy, follows that a competitive, for-points/fame system is just as viable as the casual, kitchen table from which the format originally developed. This is no where more prevalent than the so-called French metagame, which has a more Legacy-like banned list, and is played 1v1. Multiplayer, 4+ tables for the sake of enjoying the experience of playing with others, requires a different set of cards than one on one play, and the latter is invariably competitive as there cannot be a "helper" or "pure chaos" type deck involved.

Magic caters to both. The Commander releases are deliberately for multiplayer, but the format encompases cards meant for one on one play. It should thus be viable to run your infinte combos, mass land destruction decks as much as your Warp World or "Group Hug" decks. The format as a whole, on a "fun" or competitive level, wants answers to things. That's why cards like Scavenging Ooze were printed (there is nothing multiplayer-friendly about the thing, it's purpose is graveyard-hate).
In today's article (Tuesday, December 06, 2011), you may want to change the introduction because you're announcing "Smite the Monstrous" but you're really discussing "Ghoulraiser" Wink
The planeswalker EDH deck's sample hand generator is missing the Planeswalkers in the deck because you included them in their own category instead of other spells. I tried and they wouldn't get drawn and the sample hand things deck list was missing them making the deck test inaccurate by 23 cards.
I've never bothered with playmats, but I'm buying one now; and whatever that card is, I'm getting four of it, or more depending upon rarity.
Why Kazuul in the Planeswalkers commander deck?
To provide chump blockers against any army? It gets bonkers with Doubling Season too

I have a similar deck, except that my Commander is Sliver Queen, and I run a proliferation sub-theme because proliferating counters gets really crazy with Doubling Season around!

Great minds think alike!
the three missng planeswalkers are chandra ablaze, nissa and tezzeret, agent of bolas
The Magic logo is way too gaudy for the sorin sleeves. They would look a lot better without it.

Also that is some conspiculously planeswalker-art-shaped-art. 
Idk was mishra a planeswalker teferi before he gave up his spark. The new planeswalkers are cool but i would like to see an oldschool human (non bolas, karn, 7 mana) planeswalker i know the noobs couldnt understand timespiral but it was amazing and would love to go back to dominaria
Wow, the artwork on that playmat...
I would ascend into her darkness, if you know what I mean.
The Magic logo is way too gaudy for the sorin sleeves. They would look a lot better without it.

Should have gone with the blue version of the logo, it would have looked a hell of a lot less like a hasty photophop layer added at the last minute.
It's pretty obvious Marketing made the designer do it, much like how the frames and logos ruin every Wallpaper of the Day.

I think this is the Timmiest Commander deck I have ever saw. I find it mildly amusing that there are only three creatures in this deck (excluding the general), and two of each basic. The nonbasic overkill, and the accompanying vulnerability to nonbasic hate (e.g., Ruination) with the lack of a decent amount of land fetching (Shard Convergence is clearly for the duals, and Kodama's Reach/Cultivate can only fetch the basics, with no other dig/early blockers/early defense like Farhaven Elf) suggests that this deck wants to slowly build to its climax, instead of accellerate itself there. All this to somehow assure itself of double [manacost]WUBRG[/manacost] along with the planeswalkers. I presume big Proggy is an eventual play, never an realistically intended play, due to such issues.

That said, Planeswalker.dec in Commander form. Silly.
I think this is the Timmiest Commander deck I have ever saw. I find it mildly amusing that there are only three creatures in this deck (excluding the general), and two of each basic. The nonbasic overkill, and the accompanying vulnerability to nonbasic hate (e.g., Ruination) with the lack of a decent amount of land fetching (Shard Convergence is clearly for the duals, and Kodama's Reach/Cultivate can only fetch the basics, with no other dig/early blockers/early defense like Farhaven Elf) suggests that this deck wants to slowly build to its climax, instead of accellerate itself there. All this to somehow assure itself of double [manacost]WUBRG[/manacost] along with the planeswalkers. I presume big Proggy is an eventual play, never an realistically intended play, due to such issues.

All ten fetchlands plus multiple other lands that look for lands doesn't constitute as enough land fetching?  Also, look at the fact that a few of the lands produce all five colors.  What this deck does lack in order the play Progenitus is sufficient mana acceleration.

I do agree that relying on the dual lands makes you very vulnerable to non-basic land hate.  However, it is very hard for a five color deck to survive without playing non-basics.

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

All ten fetchlands plus multiple other lands that look for lands doesn't constitute as enough land fetching?  Also, look at the fact that a few of the lands produce all five colors.  What this deck does lack in order the play Progenitus is sufficient mana acceleration.

I do agree that relying on the dual lands makes you very vulnerable to non-basic land hate.  However, it is very hard for a five color deck to survive without playing non-basics.

It is very easy for a 5C deck to survive without being vulnerable, by running more extensive land acceleration and fetch. No, fetch lands do not constitute any measure of progressing your board state beyond the 1-land a turn deal, and as such the absence of true accellerators like Explosive Vegetation and Skyshroud Claim impairs the deck's ability to push itself beyond being able to eventually drop Proggy by turn 10. In the absence of either Kodama's Reach or Cultivate, the deck has only a Wayfarer's Bauble to get extra lands into play. Everything else gets lands into hand, meaning it does advance your board position.

Despite this, the deck is using Proggy? Solid Timmy. [I'm not saying this as a bad thing ... Planeswalker.dec is not unheard of, just extraordinarily weak without either defense or means of controlling what your opponent does, especially after you wipe most everyone's lands with Global Ruin or half or so with Wake of Destruction. While those sweepers are effective in attempting to break the symmetry, allowing Nagle to keep [manacost]WUBRG[/manacost], the purpose further impairs his ability to play anything remotely accelerating. If you do it when you're ahead, you don't really need to do it (a little something known as the jerk play -- you do it to make yourself unliked at the board).

What I notice most [manacost]WUBRG[/manacost] decks doing is that they invest in a lot of Green land fetch to accellerate their board, making it safe for dropping vulnerable PWs. Without that quality, the deck is weak to removal. So I tend to think Nagle built it pretty well to have fun, yet it still rankles that he's running mass land destruction (and especially since it hurts monocolored the most), something I would think a Timmy would eschew as too much of an enemy-maker, and a way to irk your playgroup.

The playmat from Dark Ascension looks great . Love the art, its like an evil bride sorceress of sorts.
So, green makes Zeppelids more warlike, but that one is somehow smaller than the monoblue one? >>
I've never bothered with playmats, but I'm buying one now; and whatever that card is, I'm getting four of it, or more depending upon rarity.

hear hear... wicked art! hopefully it's wicked card also...
Can we get rid of these aweful frames on the wallpapers already?  I really like the art for this set but these wallpapers are terrible.  They don't even show off the entire piece.  Undecided
Any Commander deck that isn't Timmy isn't doing it right.

It's going to be hilarious as hell when the Convocation eventually turns Commander into a sanctioned thing, and a horde of spikes immediately swoop in and "ruin" it.

I think this is the Timmiest Commander deck I have ever saw.

Then you ain't seen nothing yet. 

It's going to be hilarious as hell when the Convocation eventually turns Commander into a sanctioned thing, and a horde of spikes immediately swoop in and "ruin" it.

You've never heard of the French Meta, have you? They even have their own banned list (it mimicks Legacy somewhat), locking out Sol Ring among many other "staples" for EDH. It also lowers life totals to 30 and is based on 1v1 duels, not multiplayer. It is for this format that Spikes should be rewarded.
I think this is the Timmiest Commander deck I have ever saw.

Then you ain't seen nothing yet. 

Well ... I was joking. I have seen extremely fun, big guy or super spells deck. My Kamahl, Fist of Krosa is certainly a huge Timmy deck, but I wanted to explicitly not compare it to WotC's resident uber-Timmy, Nagle.

Qilong's MTGO Kamahl, Fist of Krosa EDH

2 x Forest
9 x Forest
1 x Boseiju, Who Shelters All
1 x Diamond Valley
1 x Gargoyle Castle
1 x Hall of the Bandit Lord
1 x Jungle Basin
1 x Khalni Garden
1 x Llanowar Reborn
1 x Mosswort Bridge
1 x Okina, Temple to the Grandfathers
1 x Oran-Rief, the Vastwood
1 x Pendelhaven
1 x Reliquary Tower
1 x Slippery Karst
1 x Temple of the False God
1 x Thawing Glaciers
1 x Treetop Village
1 x Sapseep Forest
1 x Acidic Slime
1 x Brawn
1 x Brutalizer Exarch
1 x Cloudthresher
1 x Deadwood Treefolk
1 x Engulfing Slagwurm
1 x Eternal Witness
1 x Farhaven Elf
1 x Fierce Empath
1 x Forgotten Ancient
1 x Indrik Stomphowler
1 x Loaming Shaman
1 x Magus of the Library
1 x Moldgraf Monstrosity
1 x Ondu Giant
1 x Patron of the Orochi
1 x Pelakka Wurm
1 x Plated Slagwurm
1 x Primeval Titan
1 x Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 x Seedguide Ash
1 x Silklash Spider
1 x Solemn Simulacrum
1 x Terastodon
1 x Tornado Elemental
1 x Traproot Kami
1 x Verdant Force
1 x Vigor
1 x Wood Elves
1 x Woodfall Primus
1 x Yavimaya Elder
1 x Asceticism
1 x Basilisk Collar
1 x Caged Sun
1 x Darksteel Plate
1 x Elixir of Immortality
1 x Garruk Wildspeaker
1 x Lightning Greaves
1 x Loxodon Warhammer
1 x Mana Reflection
1 x Rancor
1 x Swiftfoot Boots
1 x Skullclamp
1 x Sword of Vengeance
1 x Beast Within
1 x Chord of Calling
1 x Creeping Renaissance
1 x Cultivate
1 x Decree of Savagery
1 x Explosive Vegetation
1 x Gaea's Blessing
1 x Genesis Wave
1 x Harmonize
1 x Krosan Grip
1 x Kodama's Reach
1 x Momentous Fall
1 x Praetor's Counsel
1 x Squall Line
1 x Sylvan Tutor
1 x Tooth and Nail
1 x Tower Above

1 x Kamahl, Fist of Krosa

I also run a Seizan and Skullbriar that are much more cutthroat but still fun (I do not run infinite combos, extra turns, Blightsteel or any Eldrazi, and I avoid any land destruction if I can -- unless the board state requires I Terastodon something like Coffers or Urborg or Maze a few dozen times). For me, "Fun" in this way is engaging with my opponents, and all of my decks are able to win through defeating all other opponents in one turn, except for Skullbriar which doesn't even run more than three cards that cost 5 mana, and everything else is skewed to the 2 and 3 drop slots and is brimming with point removal. Timmys want fun and experience, and to get something off. I've G-waved for 15 followed by 35 in a single game and forced myself to tone the latter down for fear of decking myself -- that's fun. Genesis Wave for huge numbers is, in my opinion, one of the best cards recently printed that is actively FOR Timmys but also appeals to other types, and it's use (for big numbers) helps makes this idea concrete. The same is true of cards that one does not consider "unfun" when played against them (LD, Eldrazi swings, infect, etc.)
Idk was mishra a planeswalker teferi before he gave up his spark. The new planeswalkers are cool but i would like to see an oldschool human (non bolas, karn, 7 mana) planeswalker i know the noobs couldnt understand timespiral but it was amazing and would love to go back to dominaria

I think Dominaria is done for a while. ITs kinda working out of its awkward "uninhabitable wasteland" phase.
To answer your question, no. Mishra was not a planeswalker. He was assimilated into Phyrexia at the end of The Brother's War, only to be almost immediately destroyed (along with the rest of Argoth) by Urza activating the Golgothian Sylex. After the blast (or arguably during), Urza's Spark ignited and he became the beloved Planeswalker we know today.
Sign In to post comments