Maximising Init.

10 posts / 0 new
Last post

I'm playing a Drow Hunter and I would like to maximise Initiative with him.

On level 1, I got DEX 20 which gives me a +5 bonus, Aspect of the Pouncing Lynx gives me another +4. My level 2 feat will be Improved Initiative which will give me a total of +14 on level 2.

I know thats a lot already for a level 2 character but this is the thing he is really good at and also fits his background. Do you have any other suggestions that would boost initiative?

Thanks

Edit: sorry this should have been posted in Character Optimization

Background? Gritty Sergeant, Vilhon Wilds, Dalelands, Officer out of Retirement give a +1 bonus. Trained from Birth for Prophecy gives you a daily reroll.

Other then that, at such low level you're looking at items. The Quicksilver Blade is the easiest to get your hands on at level 2, it adds the Enhancement Bonus to init.

If you need even more, try posting this in CharOp, they're really good at finding bonusses, though I think you're at your limit here.
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
Item bonus is the major one you're missing.  Helm of Battle is the best IIRC.

But yeah, with that class, race and level, you're approaching system maximum initiative as it is.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Why Helm of Battle? It only adds +3 max, Quicksilver Blade adds +6 max. I mean, the Helm applies to allies but that's not what he's asking for.

There's also powers that let you reroll btw, I think Strategists Epiphany is at level 2, it's a History Skillpower.
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Because, as a Hunter, he's likely to be using 2-handed weapons, and not really want to be holding an off-hand blade.  Unless it could go on Wrist Razors, I suppose.  That being said, at level 1, it doesn't make a lot of difference, neither item is likely to be available.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Ah ok, I don't know anything about the hunter, I thought they fought with two weapons. Could take Spiked Chain Training perhaps, but that might be a bit of a stretch.

Here's another one that adds Enhancement Bonus to Initiative: Feytouched armor. Available in Leather and Hide. Won't be available for quite a while though.
Epic Dungeon Master

Your Kingdom awaits!
Hunter is ranged weapon.  You're thinking of the Scout.
Shows what I know about Hunters Innocent
Epic Dungeon Master

Your Kingdom awaits!
Bridle of Rapid Action provides an extra roll.
If you aren't tied to Drow, you could be a Wood Elf (Neverwinter Nights subclass of the Elf) which gives the benefit of using your Perception in place of Initiative when rolling Initiative.  And if any allies roll lower than your initiative, they get a +2 racial bonus to initiative.

Then be a Seer and, at level 10, you get to roll twice for Perception checks.  And then there's no need to take Danger Sense.   
Sign In to post comments