Help me build my lightsaber.

So i've been trying to sort out a unique idea for the hilt of my lightsaber, and i finaly stumbled upon a great idea.

I'd like to create a living hilt, built of 2 plants.  The inner Core a tree or woody core, the outer a vine.  I'd like to show a Duality in the hilt.  Somthing Helpfull and Somthing Harmfull.   

My knoledge of the Starwars Galaxy is somewhat limited.  Can yall help me with suggestions of what plants to build it from?

Hello LG,

Sounds cool.  Meshs in well with the force being tied to life and vice versa.  A few things to consider:

It needs a crystal, and it would be cool if it was interchangeable.  How about this:

A  that type of plant is grown only on a special force planet, near a nexus or other place Strong in the Force, maybe tendered by special force plant people, like felucian life.  Could be related to all sorts of local prophecies and customs.  You could go quite deep with this concept.

B  A normal plant, but experimented on/evolved/use of the force, maybe with semi-sentience.  More depth here...

C  maybe the 'seeds' it grows are lightsaber crystals, internally growing a 'seed' depending on the nature of its wielder - linked to each other life force/through the force.  Maybe changes as wielder does.  Maybe a special 'seed' grows another light sabre.  A cycle of life..?

As to helpful/harmful...maybe it is parasidic/symbiotic in nature, boosting the jedis connection to life/force, but leaching some away?  Semi-sentience fits in here.  Maybe even involve DSP somewhere if too powerful - it depends on what you want the item to represent, both to the jedi, the force, and life itself.

I'm toying with/expanding on some of these force/life concepts now, so I might come up with something more poigniant later...

Good luck and hope this helps

Matty                          
So i've been trying to sort out a unique idea for the hilt of my lightsaber, and i finaly stumbled upon a great idea.

I'd like to create a living hilt, built of 2 plants.  The inner Core a tree or woody core, the outer a vine.  I'd like to show a Duality in the hilt.  Somthing Helpfull and Somthing Harmfull.   

My knoledge of the Starwars Galaxy is somewhat limited.  Can yall help me with suggestions of what plants to build it from?

What era are you playing in? This influences the types of plants that should be available to you. Also, where is your character from? What's his or her backstory?
I never listen to the Order 66 Podcast. Winner of You Build the Character #27 - Cad Bane
Matty, Great suggestions.  thank you.

What era are you playing in? This influences the types of plants that should be available to you. Also, where is your character from? What's his or her backstory?

Since my backstory is 5 pages i'll give you the down and dirty...

We are playing aproxx 3650 BBY  Timeline is mixed by the GM.  So either at the end of the Great Galaxy war or just after it.

I play a Mirualka who was stranded at birth when his noble parents died during an "exotic getaway" to felucia.  I was Rased by a Felucian Scout and the Felucian Shamen had heavy influance in my childhood years.  Just Pregame my Felucian Father took me on a trip to other Force active planets so i could view the differences in the force there.  Dantooine was the first stop, and due to unforseen circumstanses my Felucian Father was killed and i ended up hiding on a freighter that eventualy ended up at Onderon.  I fled the city  was captured,  Once i proved my usefullness in beast controll i joined the clan officially.  First game was me going through my rite of manhood flying a Drexel over to Dxun.  I rode the Wave between the planets during the time of seperation... and ended up falling on Dxun side stranded.  Game moved on from there.  Currently i remember nothing of what i saw while riding the wave but perodicly have unbidden memorys, flashes of forsighte/future.

Hello LG,

B  A normal plant, but experimented on/evolved/use of the force, maybe with semi-sentience.  More depth here...

C  maybe the 'seeds' it grows are lightsaber crystals, internally growing a 'seed' depending on the nature of its wielder - linked to each other life force/through the force.  Maybe changes as wielder does.  Maybe a special 'seed' grows another light sabre.  A cycle of life..?

As to helpful/harmful...maybe it is parasidic/symbiotic in nature, boosting the jedis connection to life/force, but leaching some away?  Semi-sentience fits in here.  Maybe even involve DSP somewhere if too powerful - it depends on what you want the item to represent, both to the jedi, the force, and life itself.

I'm toying with/expanding on some of these force/life concepts now, so I might come up with something more poigniant later...                         

Just revisiting this...  Option B or C seems the best to fit my character concept.  As a Non-Tradational Force Tradition I've blended some things i've read about the Felucians, Falanasi, and other fluff.

My view of the force is that it's strongest when like on Felucia it's unbound/tainted.  The Sith bind The Living Force with Retoric, and Emotion.  while the Jedi bind the force with Retoric, and Religion.   Of the two the Jedi's bindings are less damaging but still inhibit the force.  The  most powerfull and influential the force can/will be is when it is acting with it's own purpose through a vessel.  i attempt to be that vessel.   My Destiny is one of Discovery and Reclamation.  

To Discover Living Force Alchemy... a way to empower The Living Force and break the bonds on it (remove dark and light taint) through those Force Artifacts.   I've been successfull in that i've figured out how to aid The Living Force in investing it's strength in a vessel, but have not learned from The Living Force how to help it free it'self from the bonds imposed by the will of others.

We are playing aproxx 3650 BBY  Timeline is mixed by the GM.  So either at the end of the Great Galaxy war or just after it.

I play a Mirualka who was stranded at birth when his noble parents died during an "exotic getaway" to felucia.  I was Rased by a Felucian Scout and the Felucian Shamen had heavy influance in my childhood years.  Just Pregame my Felucian Father took me on a trip to other Force active planets so i could view the differences in the force there.  Dantooine was the first stop, and due to unforseen circumstanses my Felucian Father was killed and i ended up hiding on a freighter that eventualy ended up at Onderon.  I fled the city  was captured,  Once i proved my usefullness in beast controll i joined the clan officially.  First game was me going through my rite of manhood flying a Drexel over to Dxun.  I rode the Wave between the planets during the time of seperation... and ended up falling on Dxun side stranded.  Game moved on from there.  Currently i remember nothing of what i saw while riding the wave but perodicly have unbidden memorys, flashes of forsighte/future.

By "clan," are you talking about Mandalorians? Just wondering.

The only two plants I can think of are the Blba Tree and the Yerdua Poison Spitter, from Dantooine and Felucia, respectively. Dxun itself is a jungle world but there's no iconic plants from there. There are mostly certainly vines and trees though
Ithor has numerous named (and iconic) plant species, with the Bafforr trees being foremost. Perhaps your character meets a Bafforr collective and ends up with a branch from a fallen tree that he contructs his hilt from, much like Tenel Ka's rancor-tooth lightsaber hilt. 

Interesting concept. Have you taken the plant surge power?    
I never listen to the Order 66 Podcast. Winner of You Build the Character #27 - Cad Bane

By "clan," are you talking about Mandalorians? Just wondering.

The only two plants I can think of are the Blba Tree and the Yerdua Poison Spitter, from Dantooine and Felucia, respectively. Dxun itself is a jungle world but there's no iconic plants from there. There are mostly certainly vines and trees though
Ithor has numerous named (and iconic) plant species, with the Bafforr trees being foremost. Perhaps your character meets a Bafforr collective and ends up with a branch from a fallen tree that he contructs his hilt from, much like Tenel Ka's rancor-tooth lightsaber hilt. 

Interesting concept. Have you taken the plant surge power?    

Clan i mean the Onderon Beastmaster Clans.  If theres a Mando hook there it's on the GM side and i'm unaware of it.

Bafforr Collective would be very intresting, and i had not considered the Yerdua Poison-Spitter.  theres a Bush/Plant that's from Dantooine (ithink)  that was used both in ways of healing and poisen if i remember right.  think the nightsisters used it for the poisen.  i cant find it right now but i do have the stub pulled up on my other computer at home.
Hello LG,

Just revisiting this...  Option B or C seems the best to fit my character concept.  As a Non-Tradational Force Tradition I've blended some things i've read about the Felucians, Falanasi, and other fluff.

My view of the force is that it's strongest when like on Felucia it's unbound/tainted.  The Sith bind The Living Force with Retoric, and Emotion.  while the Jedi bind the force with Retoric, and Religion.   Of the two the Jedi's bindings are less damaging but still inhibit the force.  The  most powerfull and influential the force can/will be is when it is acting with it's own purpose through a vessel.  i attempt to be that vessel.   My Destiny is one of Discovery and Reclamation.  

To Discover Living Force Alchemy... a way to empower The Living Force and break the bonds on it (remove dark and light taint) through those Force Artifacts.   I've been successfull in that i've figured out how to aid The Living Force in investing it's strength in a vessel, but have not learned from The Living Force how to help it free it'self from the bonds imposed by the will of others.

Interesting veiw of the Force.  This type of interpritation would be very common throughout the galaxy (and for deep SW fans), with many different styles of variation, including the Sith/Jedi perspective, adn other many FU traditions.  However, what is the truth?  I belive that philosiphers (real and gaming) would debate this til the end of time.  I am quite sure that not even G Lucas knows exactly what the force is.  Perhaps noone was really meant to know (just like 'what race is Yoda?').  However, I want to try and answer (at least in part) some of the really big questions if I can.

My complete thoughts of the Force/origin/purpouse (as much as one mortal mind can comprehend) will be revealed through the Genesis Saga cycle.  However, I veiw the light and dark side of the force as two sides of the same coin, each with a purpose to fulfil and represent, its own part and role to play (in the grand scheme of things), seperate but bound by the same ties.  Kind of like life and death, but touching of the life essence and existance of...well...everything.  This also suggests exisance/Force could have some sort of cycle, just like everything else in our universe/existance. 

All I would say to your character is this - tread very carefully.  Shaping life (esp unnatural life) falls in the realm of the DS (sith alchemy/abomination, even Darth Sidious's creation of Anakin in womb by the Force are two prime examples - I suppose so is Ssi-Ruuk entrenchement.  Also I would consider the motive - creating a living race of beings is def DS if they are destined to be slaves, living life force batteries, or even weapons/blood thristy conquerers.

Your charachter will be walking a fine line between power/responsiblity, and even the 'grey' areas can easily lead to the DS.  Many examples of this in SW lit.   The DS (and those who endorse it) is extremely good at corrupting the innocent, even when they think they are doing the right thing for the right reasons.  The DS can justify just about any action and get away with it...however, such secrets never stay hidden, and ultimately the hero shoudl be given a straight up and down proposial 'do you want power?' eventually, just like anakin and sidious. 

Another question for your charachter.  Where does the 'life shaping' stop?  Healing the sick?  Undoing mutations?  How about making a better pet? What about improving your species (even if they are happy the way they are?)?  And whos vision of 'perfection' for a lifeform are you using?  Whos to say that is the correct one?  The moral minefield here is thick and wide, with many well meaning FU falling into the same trap.  This is the path your charachter may have to walk, and if its destined to be a truly great story, you will be tested and tried trhought the whole thing.  Thinking about your destiny now?

Wow, what a rant!  Alright, wake up everyone...  : )

As for the stuff I suggested, the begining of true life (such as a sprouting seedling) should always bring new hope.  Hope through life is the domain of the light side.  It's when the DS gets its claws into it where the real tests start...

Good Luck, LG, you're going to need it...   ; )

Matty out!
Great Pep Talk Matty!

Seriously, while i think the question for the character was retorical i'll answer the current answer. (Games change and like you said... power, responsibility, and fine lines).  At the moment, My short time on Duxun, i made a friend a Rancor that's being twisted by the Dark Side.  I want to save him... I want to find a way to reclaim the twisted creations of the Darkside.  

As far as perfection?  In the example of Felucia, The Living Force is much stronger there TLF has made that natural life prosper.  My thought is rather than Creating templates to use "improve" a creature or speacies, Let TLF decide what perfect is.

Now...in therory things will be great.. but we all know in RPG's 2 things never happen.  1. a GM's plan never remains intact contact with his players.  2. Players plans to go through a game... uncorrupted.

I'll do my best as a player and see how things end up.

This is the first Starwars character i've played and i dont have much  in Starwars Theory.  watched the movies yah... but havent read a book, nor much more. than picking up a few RPG books and looking through them.   Cant say I've built my own personal force theory yet but... i'm sure i'll get one eventually.

Great Pep Talk Matty!

Seriously, while i think the question for the character was retorical i'll answer the current answer. (Games change and like you said... power, responsibility, and fine lines).  At the moment, My short time on Duxun, i made a friend a Rancor that's being twisted by the Dark Side.  I want to save him... I want to find a way to reclaim the twisted creations of the Darkside.  

As far as perfection?  In the example of Felucia, The Living Force is much stronger there TLF has made that natural life prosper.  My thought is rather than Creating templates to use "improve" a creature or speacies, Let TLF decide what perfect is.

Now...in therory things will be great.. but we all know in RPG's 2 things never happen.  1. a GM's plan never remains intact contact with his players.  2. Players plans to go through a game... uncorrupted.

I'll do my best as a player and see how things end up.

This is the first Starwars character i've played and i dont have much  in Starwars Theory.  watched the movies yah... but havent read a book, nor much more. than picking up a few RPG books and looking through them.   Cant say I've built my own personal force theory yet but... i'm sure i'll get one eventually.

No probs, LG.  Looking at it now, I must sound like a real Jedi...   ; )

The rancor...what happens when a hero gets a DSP and wants to be free of corruption?  Basically, he 'clenses' himself by attoning for the misdeed (and spending a FP). How do you beat hate?  With love.   How do you cleanse the dark side from something?  Use the Light side.  These forces have been in opposition since time began.  You cannot deny the conflict.  It is waged on every level, in every society, in every existance.  You must use the light side to defeat the dark side.  Your charachter must learn he has to embrace life and light to defeat the darkness.  That is the bottom line.  There is no other way.

Let me use another example - what is the difference between Vital Transer and Dark Healing?  Appart from the DSP?  Sacrifice.  Selflessness. Read the descriptions to get my meaning.  Like the differences between a Force Ghost and a Dark Side Spirit.

Its good to hear you have faith (as a FU) in the Force and trust in its vision of perfection as a whole.  I am sure it will not let you down.  ; )

Templates...the only templates i can think of are DS, like the chrysalist (spelling?) - the big green versions of creatures.  However, you may want to toy with powers that undo mutations.  Maybe a LS version to counter the DS?  A 'pure force' template would prob just make it bigger, stronger, more vital, maybe with a bit of UtF...however, these creatures may be more susceptable to corruption, given thier close ties to the force (and thier base nature).      

As to the things that never happen in an rpg...well, maybe you just have not met the right GM (or players) yet.  I can assure you that they are out there.  I doubt the very nature of gaming is enough to corrupt every heart out there...have a little faith, my friend.  You might just be surprised...

I hope you have heaps of fun with all of this stuff floating around (no matter how heavy it gets).  After all, thats why we play this game, isnt it - so we can all have fun?     

Don't worry about being a SW noob (no offence).  You've made the right choice by joining this happy little SW family (as did I not so long ago, and I am glad I did).  Together, we'll all have a little bit of fun with a galaxy far, far away, and maybe even learn a leason or two along the way...     

May the Force be with us

Matty        

This reminds me of Lambent crystals. Sad there are no Yuuzhan Vong to speak of in the galaxy yet (Canderous Ordo's report notwithstanding).
Perhaps a trip to Zonoma Sekot is in order...

EDIT: Come to think of it, what you're talking about sounds an awful lot like Biotech. The Biotech rules are on LECG 66, but I don't think there's anything you could really do mechanically to make a lightsaber "better" using biotech. Even so, a living lightsaber sounds amazing.  

This reminds me of Lambent crystals. Sad there are no Yuuzhan Vong to speak of in the galaxy yet (Canderous Ordo's report notwithstanding).
Perhaps a trip to Zonoma Sekot is in order...

EDIT: Come to think of it, what you're talking about sounds an awful lot like Biotech. The Biotech rules are on LECG  66, but I don't think there's anything you could really do mechanically to make a lightsaber "better" using biotech. Even so, a living light-saber sounds amazing.  

Main thing i'm trying to make a LS that has the right flavor for the character, and as far as crystal powers, having the LS attuned to the creator so that it shows the wearer where he stand in relation to the ballence of the force, as a visible reminder that actions, good or bad have consequences.

as far as the living bit, as the Lightsaber is used over time another Crystal Seed is created.  a living crystal that can be used by another to create or grow another lightsaber.   If i had intent by the player if grown into a light saber by someone that's DS or LS specifically someone who is not working in consort with The Living force, the lightsaber created will not grow another crystal.

I couldn't quite follow your last sentence, but what you're describing sounds a lot like a Dantari crystal (from Dantooine). Mechanically, it allows you to regain all spent LS powers or DS powers on a natural 19 UtF check (natural 20 gives you all spent powers back as normal), but storywise the Dantari crystal reflects the inherent light/darkness within the wielder.   
Very similar to the Dantari Crystal just without the expansion of LS/DS power benifit.

Less about power... more about flavor. 
Very similar to the Dantari Crystal just without the expansion of LS/DS power benifit.

Less about power... more about flavor. 

In that case, I'd talk with your GM about the lightsaber crystal creation guidelines on JATM 58 (sidebar "Holocron Lesson: Creating New Crystals"). Ask him to generate a crystal with properties that reflect your character...that's what I'd do at any rate. If he's strapped for ideas, look at some tier 1 (or possibly tier 2) feats or talents for some ideas...those generally fall under the guidelines on page 58 there as far as balance goes.
The crystal is all ready covered.  I'm not so conserned with the crystal's powers or effects, i was looking for what plants to use.

Thank you all for your advice. 
Hey all

No probs.  Id say just desighn your own plant species.  Thats at least one way your guaranteed to contribute to the game universe, even if the game flops after session one (as some do).  Also, since you desighn it, you can make it whatever 'flavour' you wish.

You should post what you come up with.  That way everyone can enjoy your work.

Happy gaming and good luck

Matty out!

Your character certainly has a heroic background; you could do so much with your lightsaber idea. The ideas above are really good ones, but in case you are still undecided… here is some additional input.

Starting with a link to wookiepedia’s listing of Plants

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Plants

The botanical sentient section would be great if you wanted to consider your lightsaber like a pet. A lightsaber that can tell you ‘no’, don’t do that would lead to some colorful Role playing events (see the vesuvague tree)

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Botanic...
I
used to have a reoccurring menagerie of living stone creatures from storthus in my earliest campaigns.
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Storthus
Which
may also serve as a living saber concept; I sure beat it to death with so little on the subject, my imagination just ran with it… and now I miss it: )

As another idea, that may not have the most practical applications, but unbelieavable story potential: In my starwars encyclopedia, there was an insectoid race that had super dense DNA that actually held blue prints for ancient alien trechnology.
I thought it was these guys, but didn’t see it wookiepedia?
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/X%27Ting
The
point being, if DNA can serve as gigantic amounts of information storage (beyond that that we actually do know of in real life)… imagine an augmented plant or animal that carries the million year history of an extinct civilization in its genetic code.

whacky idea: ---> What if the saber handle had a crystal compartment that is designed to hold specific seeds that must be planted on different worlds. Maybe a Falucian panspermia type (Johny Appleseed) thing.

Well… maybe this is not the most helpful… but anything is possible. Keep us posted if you would. Thank you : )  

Your character certainly has a heroic background; you could do so much with your lightsaber idea. The ideas above are really good ones, but in case you are still undecided… here is some additional input.

Starting with a link to wookiepedia’s listing of Plants

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Plants

The botanical sentient section would be great if you wanted to consider your lightsaber like a pet. A lightsaber that can tell you ‘no’, don’t do that would lead to some colorful Role playing events (see the vesuvague tree)

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Botanic...
I
used to have a reoccurring menagerie of living stone creatures from storthus in my earliest campaigns.
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Storthus
Which
may also serve as a living saber concept; I sure beat it to death with so little on the subject, my imagination just ran with it… and now I miss it: )

As another idea, that may not have the most practical applications, but unbelieavable story potential: In my starwars encyclopedia, there was an insectoid race that had super dense DNA that actually held blue prints for ancient alien trechnology.
I thought it was these guys, but didn’t see it wookiepedia?
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/X%27Ting
The
point being, if DNA can serve as gigantic amounts of information storage (beyond that that we actually do know of in real life)… imagine an augmented plant or animal that carries the million year history of an extinct civilization in its genetic code.

whacky idea: ---> What if the saber handle had a crystal compartment that is designed to hold specific seeds that must be planted on different worlds. Maybe a Falucian panspermia type (Johny Appleseed) thing.

Well… maybe this is not the most helpful… but anything is possible. Keep us posted if you would. Thank you : )  

Some VERY cool ideas.  I really like groing specific seeds and seeds that require to be planted in specific worlds/locations.  That tree you mentioned very intresting.  Game happens on the 10th, so nothings settled till then i think.  I'm also sure that my plans will be a starting point, that the GM will end up modifying a bit.  Not usually a problem  for me.

Thanks for the suggestion.