Dungeon 196 - Court of Stars: Baba Yaga, Mother of All Witches

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
DnDi_Large.pngDungeon 196
Court of Stars: Baba Yaga, Mother of All Witches
by Alana Abbott

“You are either very brave or very foolish. Perhaps both. But I can tell you of Baba Yaga, Mother of All Witches.

Talk about this article here.

This was an awesome article.  A perfect combination of fluff and crunch.

Plus, an epic level monster?!?

Moar please.
And Little Grandmother and the solar knight are awesome.

I mean for Baba Yaga, the following opening is not unreasonable:

minor action Evil Eye

move action teleport up to 5, attack with her melee basic

standard action Vile Transmutation

Action Point

standard action Crushing Grasp

And she can do it all two turns in a row. Stunned/Dazed/Dominated? No problem, Slippery Mind and she's good to go. The only question is after she's out of action points does she use Vile Transmutation one last time or keep butsing out Crushing Grasp as she attacks 3 times a turn.
That was a great article i agree.

I really enjoyed the read, all the speculations entouring the infamous witch Baba Yaga and the details about her, her hut, her allies and how she come to deal with adventurers she doesn't eat. Wink

Mechanically speaking, she is redoutable enough i think and has great flavorful Powers too. 

I liked the artwork depicting Lady Baba (sorry couldn't resist :P) and her Diakkas abominable creations.

Looking forward to see the adventure ...

Cookie to Alana Abbott for this cool article 
And to artist Goran Josic for the nice cover artwork.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Excellent work from Alana! This article does bring back some great memories.  Now bring on the adventure!  :-)
Hey Alana (and everyone else),

(Craig Campbell, author of Baba Yaga's Dancing Hut, here.)

I'm happy to see Diakkas make their way into your Baba Yaga article (and I love their depiction in the cover illustration), as well as the various other "tie-in" tidbits between your article and my Dancing Hut adventure.

I've been waiting several months to see how this Court of Stars article would turn out and am quite pleased. Very solid article. Kudos!

Craig

Great fluff, Great mechanics. Overall a great article. I dont think I've used the word great enough.
good stuff, wheres the adventure?
Exactly how Baba-Yaga should be.  Evil, but a potential Villain-Mentor for the heroes, should they meet her impossible requirements.  They could even encounter her in heroic tier, and not have to fight her for manipulating them all this time until near the end of Epic – thus making a campaign around her!

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

I've been waiting for this article for a long time.  Great work!
Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Constant Fear That Something's Always Near; Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Phobia That Someone's Always There- Iron Maiden Fear of the Dark shall be feared no longer! Let him be praised instead! (Many, many thanks for all your hard work!) - darkwarlock I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Check out my DnD blog! www.artificersintuition.blogspot.com
I like it.  I want to include Baba Yaga in my games.  Now, how do I fit her into Dragonlance...
CORE MORE, NOT CORE BORE!
I like it.  I want to include Baba Yaga in my games.  Now, how do I fit her into Dragonlance...

Maybe in taladas, if else... Or the woods by the Plainsmen's lands?
My current theory is that Baba Yaga was one of the first hags to be transformed from the old High Ogres.  Her hut wanders around the Plains of Dust (the plainsmen lands), Blode (an ogre territory), Kern (another ogre territory), and Abanasinia (the territory where the towns of Haven and Solace are).

Actually, since the hut has chicken legs, it could go all over.  Perhaps it can't cross the mountains in Blode, so it would be a feature of the southern half of the continent.   
CORE MORE, NOT CORE BORE!
I love this article. It totally nails the fluff and crunch mix and presents a compelling villain worthy of her iconic reputation. This is solid stuff and I look forward to what this author will write in the future. Note to WoTC, more please!
My current theory is that Baba Yaga was one of the first hags to be transformed from the old High Ogres.  Her hut wanders around the Plains of Dust (the plainsmen lands), Blode (an ogre territory), Kern (another ogre territory), and Abanasinia (the territory where the towns of Haven and Solace are).

Actually, since the hut has chicken legs, it could go all over.  Perhaps it can't cross the mountains in Blode, so it would be a feature of the southern half of the continent.   

You should present later the result of your cogitation on Babba Yaga at the 'official' Dragonlance place as an article.