Bark-Blade

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
After seeing the UG counter-wolves list, it got me started to think about taking it into a different direction, turning it into a sword deck.  This is my rough first list, and I am actively looking for suggestions.

Creatures - 16
4 Avacyn's Pilgrim
4 Mayor of Avabruck
4 Invisible Stalker
4 Snapcaster Mage

Swords - 6
3 Sword of Feast and Famine
3 Sword of War and Peace

Planeswalkers - 3
3 Garruk Relentless

Spells - 13
4 Mana Leak
4 Dissipate
2 Negate 
3 Think Twice

Lands - 22
4 Hinterland Harbor
11 Islands
7 Forests

This is an extremely rough list, but somewhere to start.  The Pilgrims MIGHT be better off as Bird of Paradise, I might be better off replacing the Stalkers with a Delver package (4 Delver of Secrets + 4 Ponder) and adding more card draw.  The land count might be a little low at 22, and it might also need GSZ to tutor for Mayor or a mana-dude, but it's a possibility.  I don't even want to start thinking about a sideboard yet, and would rather flesh out the maindeck first.  Thoughts?

I was just wondering if WorldSlayer would be of use to you as a board sweeper sword..

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/6.jpg)

Yeah, birds can get you the colors you need early and fly with the sword late game; make a set of swords into some beast within and drop a Snapcaster and a Dissipate for 2 Batterskull to make all your dudes big threats (Also has you curving out at 5). Looks fun; I'd SB some Gut Shot, a Flashfreeze or 2, an additional Beast Within, some Naturalize, and Thrun. GL!  
IMAGE(http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/Nasrod/BigRedForumSigNostretch.jpg)
3 swords is more than plenty, let alone 6.  3 swords and 2 batterskulls is what I'd run.
After seeing the UG counter-wolves list, it got me started to think about taking it into a different direction, turning it into a sword deck.  This is my rough first list, and I am actively looking for suggestions.

Creatures - 16
4 Avacyn's Pilgrim
4 Mayor of Avabruck
4 Invisible Stalker
4 Snapcaster Mage

Swords - 6
3 Sword of War and Peace

Planeswalkers - 3
3 Garruk Relentless

Spells - 13
4 Mana Leak
4 Dissipate
2 Negate 
3 Think Twice

Lands - 22
4 Hinterland Harbor
11 Islands
7 Forests

This is an extremely rough list, but somewhere to start.  The Pilgrims MIGHT be better off as Bird of Paradise, I might be better off replacing the Stalkers with a Delver package (4 Delver of Secrets + 4 Ponder) and adding more card draw.  The land count might be a little low at 22, and it might also need GSZ to tutor for Mayor or a mana-dude, but it's a possibility.  I don't even want to start thinking about a sideboard yet, and would rather flesh out the maindeck first.  Thoughts?

I'm not sure you need the mana dudes, Birds of Paradise is better.

I'd probably cut all 4 and add 2 lands and then like Thrun or Phantasmal Image.

Maybe cut the negates too or make them sideboard?
I'm not dure why you chose to run Pilgrim at all, since you aren't trying to produce white mana, Llanowar I could understand but, particularly for a sword deck, I would suggest Birds as it can fly over with a sword if you need it to.  Investing in a Batterskull or 2 would also give you an edge.
100th post 29/01/12 500th post 19/05/12 1000th post 19/07/12 How many planeswalkers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
Show
Better question, what does Nicol Bolas want with the lightbulb?
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/25ceed5d20286936a2014d5e9a9026d2.jpg?v=90000)
Pilgrim is in there for 2 reasons. 
1) It gets a bonus from Mayor
2) When I was putting together a rough build, I somehow don't have any Birds, and I was to lazy to sort through my commons/uncommons to try to find 4 Lanowar Elves.  Birds is the choice for this deck, I agree, I just don't have any yet.   

On Batterskull.  In the sideboard for aggro?  Definately.  In the main?  I'm not certain I would be better off with it than a sword.  It's something to consider, but I'm not sold on it yet.  

Also, I think that going up to 4 Garruk's is probably correct.  Being able to pump out tokens to carry swords is always useful as is the option of cashing him in to blow up a creature.  

Here's a revised list

Creatures
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Snapcaster Mage
4 Invisible Stalker or 4 Delver of Secrets
4 Mayor of Avabruck 

Planeswalkers
4 Garruk Relentless

Artifacts
1 Sword of War and Peace

Spells
4 Mana Leak
4 Dissipate
3 Beast Within
3 Think Twice or 3 Ponder

Lands
4 Hinterland Harbor
11 Islands
7 Forests

Sideboard (Rough)
2 Batterskull
4 Naturalize
2 Sword of War and Peace
2 Sword of Body and Mind
4 Gut Shot
1 Dismember

The sideboard is extremely rough right now.  Also thinking of cutting the 3 Think Twice for a 4th Beast Within and 2 more lands.