Help with two possible characters for Paragon tier Eberron game.

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm applying to a 15th level Eberron game and am torn between two character concepts. I'm not too familiar with either class so I'd like some sage advice on both before I make a choice. I'm going for theme or character concept here primarily, but would like to be competent at my role as well (which in this case will likely be striker). The DM has asked that players not come into the application process with overpowered characters (take that as you will).

Ok, the first concept is a House Medani Inquisitive. I'd like the character to be skilled in Insight, Perception, and Thievery/Stealth, and I'd like for the character to fight unarmed or with his walking stick. So to that end I've envisioned a half-elf monk. The character is inspired by Sherlock Holmes. Here is what I was thinking:

Show
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Adran d'Medani, level 15
Half-Elf, Monk, Ghostwalker
Monastic Tradition Option: Centered Breath
Half-Elf Power Selection Option: Knack for Success
Basilisk's Gaze (+2 to Perception)
Theme: Guardian

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 14, DEX 22, INT 11, WIS 20, CHA 9

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 11, DEX 18, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 8

AC: 27 Fort: 24 Ref: 26 Will: 25
HP: 96 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 24

TRAINED SKILLS
Insight +21, Perception +23, Stealth +18, Thievery +18

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +13, Arcana +7, Athletics +7, Bluff +6, Diplomacy +8, Dungeoneering +12, Endurance +9, Heal +12, History +7, Intimidate +6, Nature +12, Religion +7, Streetwise +6

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Guardian Attack: Guardian's Counter
Half-Elf Racial Power: Knack for Success
Monk Feature: Centered Flurry of Blows
Monk Attack 1: Five Storms
Monk Attack 1: Crane's Wings
Monk Attack 1: Drunken Monkey
Monk Attack 1: Stunning Palm
Guardian Utility 2: Guardian's Defense
Monk Attack 3: Eternal Mountain
Monk Utility 6: Centered Defense
Monk Attack 9: Twilight Touch
Monk Utility 10: Iron Dragon Defense
Ghostwalker Attack 11: Tormented Spirit
Ghostwalker Utility 12: Soul Dance
Monk Attack 13: Furious Bull
Monk Attack 15: Mithral Tornado

FEATS
Level 1: Mark of Detection
Level 2: Deadly Draw
Level 4: Ki Focus Expertise
Level 6: Implement Focus (Ki focuses)
Level 8: Unarmored Agility
Level 10: Improved Defenses
Level 11: Alertness
Level 12: Defensive Advantage
Level 14: Internalize the Basic Kata

ITEMS
Monk unarmed strike x1
====== End ======

Thematically, he uses an esoteric fighting style augmented by his Dragonmark, allowing him to "feel" his enemies' movements and attacks an instant before they happen. Ghostwalker's Concealment, Deadly Draw's CA, the sliding and mobility are all meant to indicate his battle awareness through increased defenses, attack modifiers, mobility and control.

Now, I'd like to Dilletante Twin Strike and go for some multi-attacking, but I am confounded on how Ki Focuses work. Would I be able to use Twin Strike through a Ki Focus and make use of the Ki Focus implement feats (expertise and focus)? Or would I need to get additional expertise/focus feats for my weapons and keep the ki focus ones for my other attacks? I was thinking of using a Club to represent his cane and to make use of Crashing Tempest Style, which I think would double up with a Blurred Strike Ki Focus. If I went this route, I'd have to sac some feats. (I'm not interested in throwing daggers, as an aside.)

I'm not sure on items yet, but I think that's mostly because I'm not sure how this guy is attacking yet. Thoughts? Is there a better way to make a boxing inquisitive? I actually like the monk route, I'm just not familiar with it.

The other concept I had was an agent of the Chamber, in the form of a Dragonfear Dragonborn Thaneborn Barbarian Fear Walker. I'm going for a large Intimidate modifier, and powers that reflect his overbearing and terrifying presence on the battlefield.

Show
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Heskan, level 15
Dragonborn, Barbarian, Fear Walker
Feral Might Option: Thaneborn Triumph
Dragonborn Racial Power Option: Dragonfear
Dragonbonded Clan (+2 to Intimidate)
Theme: Mercenary

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 22, CON 14, DEX 15, INT 11, WIS 9, CHA 20

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 16, CON 13, DEX 14, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 14

AC: 21 Fort: 27 Ref: 23 Will: 24
HP: 113 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 30

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +18, Endurance +14, Intimidate +29

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +9, Arcana +7, Bluff +12, Diplomacy +12, Dungeoneering +6, Heal +6, History +9, Insight +8, Nature +6, Perception +6, Religion +7, Stealth +9, Streetwise +14, Thievery +9

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Mercenary Attack: Takedown Strike
Dragonborn Racial Power: Dragonfear
Barbarian Feature: Roar of Triumph
Barbarian Feature: Rage Strike
Barbarian Attack 1: Howling Strike
Barbarian Attack 1: Pressing Strike
Barbarian Attack 1: Tyrant's Rage
Barbarian Utility 2: Shrug It Off
Barbarian Attack 3: Roaring Challenge
Barbarian Utility 6: Combat Surge
Barbarian Attack 7: Fearsome Smash
Barbarian Attack 9: Oak Hammer Rage
Endurance Utility 10: Reactive Surge
Fear Walker Attack 11: Wave of Terror
Fear Walker Utility 12: Aura of Fear
Barbarian Attack 13: Terror's Cry
Barbarian Attack 15: Thunderfury Rage

FEATS
Level 1: Weapon Focus (Heavy Blade)
Level 2: Deadly Rage
Level 4: Intimidation of the Dragon
Level 6: Weapon Proficiency (Fullblade)
Level 8: Two-Handed Weapon Expertise
Level 10: Improved Defenses
Level 11: ???
Level 12: ???
Level 14: ???

ITEMS

====== End ======

The movement, proning, and penalties to attack represent enemies cowering from him on the battlefield. If I add the basic charge-kit items to this character, would he be alright as a striker? I like the action point ability, the bonus to skills, and the encounter power of the Paragon Path, but I'm thinking Mithral Arm may be better. I think Fear Walker's package fits better thematically, but Mithral Arm could emphasize his occupation as an agent of the Chamber.

I'm really interested in what you guys think I should do with his ability scores. I like Thaneborn barbarians a lot theoretically, but then the charisma needed for riders, the dexterity for AC, the constitution for feats, and then the strength for attacks leaves me underwhelmed. What sort of array should I go for? Also, what I should I do about my AC? Should I go for Scale Armor? Or pump dexterity more? And if I pump dexterity more, should I lower the charisma? I'd rather not if only because a couple of powers have charisma-based attacks.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. I'm interested in playing either one of these characters but don't want to feel sub-par even though the game will be a relatively low-powered game. I think either character would work in the game, but I have a feeling both builds could be "tighter" so to speak. Thanks in advance for getting this far .
Well, i have seen Thaneborn barbarian in action, and actually, they are far better than rageborn, IMHO. altough they lack the extra charge per encounter, the powers that they have access to, in form of riders, are way better than rageborn ones, letting you act as an effective debuffer, not to mention some built-in benefits to default powers, like curtain of steel.
the chamber seems a quite nice role play addition, nad a well built thaneborn will be very satisfiyng

Sign In to post comments