Alternate EDH Rules

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys,

Last week we were in our 2nd game of EDH (5 players), and after the 3rd turn of someone taking like 10 minutes to do all the things they had to do, I had an idea.

What if you had to make your EDH deck so that you always had to play as if there was a Gaddock Teeg in play. So with that, every card in your deck, including your commander, would have to have a CMC of 3 or less, and no cards with X in their mana cost.

I think this would be an interesting thing to try. I have suggested it to my playgroup and some are interested and others are wary of the idea, but might be willing to try it.

This alternate EDH format would be much more aggressive and allow aggro decks to survive, as there are very few cards that can wipe the board, and you are going to need lots of spot removal and efficient and resilient creatures. There are going to be WAY less degenerate cards and combos and of course the biggest bonus will be quicker games.

The deck I'm working on to try for this is commandered by Toshiro Umezawa, and is based on instant based removal, discard and cheap black enchantments that do sustained damage over the course of the game (Underworld Dreams, Megrim, Bloodchief's Ascension).

Let me know what you think of this idea, and whether you think it is worth pursueing and having my playgroup try out. The main problem we always seem to have when we play EDH with our group of 4-6 players is that our 2nd game is always taking us late into the night when everyone is tired and drunk and when people start taking these long an elaborate turns with the game on the line and big spells and effects to consider, it takes a lot of fun out of the game. So figured this was a good way to have quicker and less complicated games. 
It's worth a try; although, it will remove entire deck archetypes from the game.  I'm all for mixing it up with rules variants from time to time.  Lately I've been playing games where everyone starts with 30 life instead of 40 and it's really fun.
It's worth a try; although, it will remove entire deck archetypes from the game.  I'm all for mixing it up with rules variants from time to time.  Lately I've been playing games where everyone starts with 30 life instead of 40 and it's really fun.

That was one thing I was think about for this variant, taking the life totals down to 30, but I wanna be able to test it out first to see how it works with the regular 40.
Hey guys,

Last week we were in our 2nd game of EDH (5 players), and after the 3rd turn of someone taking like 10 minutes to do all the things they had to do, I had an idea.

What if you had to make your EDH deck so that you always had to play as if there was a Gaddock Teeg in play. So with that, every card in your deck, including your commander, would have to have a CMC of 3 or less, and no cards with X in their mana cost.

I think this would be an interesting thing to try. I have suggested it to my playgroup and some are interested and others are wary of the idea, but might be willing to try it.

This alternate EDH format would be much more aggressive and allow aggro decks to survive, as there are very few cards that can wipe the board, and you are going to need lots of spot removal and efficient and resilient creatures. There are going to be WAY less degenerate cards and combos and of course the biggest bonus will be quicker games.

The deck I'm working on to try for this is commandered by Toshiro Umezawa, and is based on instant based removal, discard and cheap black enchantments that do sustained damage over the course of the game (Underworld Dreams, Megrim, Bloodchief's Ascension).

Let me know what you think of this idea, and whether you think it is worth pursueing and having my playgroup try out. The main problem we always seem to have when we play EDH with our group of 4-6 players is that our 2nd game is always taking us late into the night when everyone is tired and drunk and when people start taking these long an elaborate turns with the game on the line and big spells and effects to consider, it takes a lot of fun out of the game. So figured this was a good way to have quicker and less complicated games. 

That doesn't help... combo decks like RG Elf Combo will still take forever on key turns
old quotes from the Worldwake talk: Mike Turian: While Mark Rosewater made Tarmogoyf, I made Tarmogoyf what he is today Mark Rosewater: Would we ever reprint Tarmogoyf? Maybe.

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

174 How many of your friendships have lasted more than ten years? Which of your current friendships do you still feel will be important to you ten years from now?
Hey guys,

That doesn't help... combo decks like RG Elf Combo will still take forever on key turns

That's not the entire point. It's about trying something new and unique with EDH. And yes, obviously some things will take a while, but overall, it should lead to quicker and more aggressive games.

It's just an idea, but good on you trying to shat all over it with one example. Thanks for your help.
Hey guys,

That's not the entire point. It's about trying something new and unique with EDH. And yes, obviously some things will take a while, but overall, it should lead to quicker and more aggressive games.

It's just an idea, but good on you trying to shat all over it with one example. Thanks for your help.

Right, but it also favors the creature decks since Wrath is effectively banned
old quotes from the Worldwake talk: Mike Turian: While Mark Rosewater made Tarmogoyf, I made Tarmogoyf what he is today Mark Rosewater: Would we ever reprint Tarmogoyf? Maybe.

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

174 How many of your friendships have lasted more than ten years? Which of your current friendships do you still feel will be important to you ten years from now?
Hey guys,

Which is part of the point. That's what makes it more aggressive and quicker, since there are few board sweepers.
red possibly shifts into not being an entirely inferior color???  and there are still board wipes.  planar collapse and slagstorm.  everyone being limited to 3cmc makes even pyroclasm essentially a boardwipe.  it would be really interesting though.
Hey guys,

Which is part of the point. That's what makes it more aggressive and quicker, since there are few board sweepers.

Eh, all it does it warp the format to whatever mode someone likes. I mean, I could just as easily have Survival on-line and grab Mageta the Lion to wreck.....

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

Hey guys,

Eh, all it does it warp the format to whatever mode someone likes. I mean, I could just as easily have Survival on-line and grab Mageta the Lion to wreck.....

Uh, no, you couldn't have Mageta in the deck, that's the point. 
red possibly shifts into not being an entirely inferior color???  and there are still board wipes.  planar collapse and slagstorm.  everyone being limited to 3cmc makes even pyroclasm essentially a boardwipe.  it would be really interesting though.

Yup, Red would get bit stronger due to their more aggressive creatures and spells, as well as the cheap 3cmc or less damage based wipers.
It's OK by me if you say nothing above cmc 3, but you do realize that Gaddock Teeg's ability only applies to non-creature spells?
You could just play all lands and dudes
Hey guys,

Uh, no, you couldn't have Mageta in the deck, that's the point. 

Teeg says no X spells and no non-creature spells with CMC 4+... If you just make it nothing that costs 4 of greater period that's just awful because you don't get the fun splashy effects that make EDH worth playing

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

I hate to be the guy to say something like this but i feel it is warrented.

EDH got started and popular because people liked games with complicated board states, politics and 5+ cmc cards.

The extra rules and stuff in EDH is there to make strait agro harder, so decks can have time to set up blow outs and epic plays.   Its sounds like you really just want to play more traditional magic.

I know some players have a me me me aspect in multi player games, they love to make every one watch them combo out and take out the table.  I have a couple friends like that too.  We learned to branch out formats.  We play multi player EDH games and we abide by the social contract of "no ****gery" (which by the way, is what makes EDH a good format, and Sheldon & Co make mention of it a bit)  But we dont play only EDH, i have friends that love their vintage or unrestricted casual murder decks.  So I keep a deck or two around to bash turn 1-4 wins against them is ultra competitive 1 vs1.  

This is how my group mantains, and every ones group is different.   But it seems like you guys just want different kinds of games.  Every one should try to accomidate that if itsbrought up rationaly, and not just "well if capt combo wasnt such a d**k i wouldnt have to play my stasis lock all night"  "and its not my fault you suck and build suck decks"
:For autocarding, write [ c ] card name [ / c ] You can also do [*c=lightning bolt]'Bolt[/c*] to get 'Bolt sigged because I always forget to do it
If you want to move along games and try fun variants of EDH with even more rediculosity play Planechase cards.

And if that's not fast enough just make 2 of the spots on the plane dice = chaos or switch. I was in a long (but fun) 6 player game last week. The game was easily into 45 minutes even with planes. Until we flipped a plane that copied creatures for everyone every time you rolled chaos. Everyone copied the single primeval titan that was on the board and the game ended one full turn later with everyone going off on each of their turns.

Sadly it was a dissapointing ending to what was turning out to be a marathon game, but we throw down Archenemy Schemes and Planechase cards every now and then in EDH games and it creates some hilarity and makes the games go quick.

According to everyone on these forums. You should only play the best decks in whatever format you want. You are a bad player and should just quit if you intend on using anything else.
I hate to be the guy to say something like this but i feel it is warrented.

EDH got started and popular because people liked games with complicated board states, politics and 5+ cmc cards.

The extra rules and stuff in EDH is there to make strait agro harder, so decks can have time to set up blow outs and epic plays.   Its sounds like you really just want to play more traditional magic.

I know some players have a me me me aspect in multi player games, they love to make every one watch them combo out and take out the table.  I have a couple friends like that too.  We learned to branch out formats.  We play multi player EDH games and we abide by the social contract of "no ****gery" (which by the way, is what makes EDH a good format, and Sheldon & Co make mention of it a bit)  But we dont play only EDH, i have friends that love their vintage or unrestricted casual murder decks.  So I keep a deck or two around to bash turn 1-4 wins against them is ultra competitive 1 vs1.  

This is how my group mantains, and every ones group is different.   But it seems like you guys just want different kinds of games.  Every one should try to accomidate that if itsbrought up rationaly, and not just "well if capt combo wasnt such a d**k i wouldnt have to play my stasis lock all night"  "and its not my fault you suck and build suck decks"

I'm oldnavyguy 312, and I approve this message.

Smile

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg