What deck should I build?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I know this pops up a lot and usually by noobs, but I've been playing since seventh. the problem is I play standard and extended, but I have moved and the shop only runs modern. I have never played modern but I watched philadelphia and worlds so I get the jist. the problem is that my rare binder was stolen last year so I have no rares earlier than ROE. I have approx. 3000 random commons and uncommons but they have been gutted over time so combo is out of the question. I need a general theme such as RDW but I'm not sure what is feasable in this format and the number of options is overwhelming. I always keep at least one deck of each color so I can run any deck type well.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. How to Create
Show
replace {} with [] {sblock} at the beginning and {/sblock} at the end.
I borrowed this from blood77. All credit goes to him. Great idea for a signature and I'm tired of people not autocarding decks. How to Auto Card
Show
(Replace { with [) {c}Gelectrode{/c}= Gelectrode
How to Auto Card, with style
Show
(Replace { with [) {c=Gelectrode}Pinball Machine{/c}=Pinball Machine
How to Auto Deck Auto Deck
Show
(again, replace { with [) {deck} Lands 20 4 Halimar Depths 4 Unstable Frontier 8 Island 4 Swamp Creatures 12 4 Hedron Crab 4 Nemesis of Reason 4 Mnemonic Wall Spells 28 4 Spreading Seas 4 Suffer the Past 4 Mind Funeral 4 Archive Trap 4 Ponder 4 Into the Roil 4 Soul Manipulation {/deck}
Result
I know this pops up a lot and usually by noobs, but I've been playing since seventh. the problem is I play standard and extended, but I have moved and the shop only runs modern. I have never played modern but I watched philadelphia and worlds so I get the jist. the problem is that my rare binder was stolen last year so I have no rares earlier than ROE. I have approx. 3000 random commons and uncommons but they have been gutted over time so combo is out of the question. I need a general theme such as RDW but I'm not sure what is feasable in this format and the number of options is overwhelming. I always keep at least one deck of each color so I can run any deck type well.

Off the top of my head, your best bet is to run something that uses as few colors as possible.  RDW is pretty solid in Modern, especially of you run Blood Moon.  I think Melira Pod combo can be built pretty cheaply too.
While I value creativity, and while ther may fun rogue decks they may not end up all that fun when the meta-game is so fast and strong that the rogue deck is not allowed to get far enough to be fun. 

It also depends on the meta of the shop you go to.  If a lot of people there put down a lot of money on cards, they've probably got the fastest, most effective decks available.  However, some places (the game shops I go to, for instance) are usually a little slower, you don't need to have a pro-tour decklist to do good- though that almost always helps!

With that said, RDW is a pretty easy to build.  I'd recommend that, though you could also go goblins too- that might be easier.

I am a level 29 Necro-POSTER! "...And then the cheese came."