Bug - Call to the Grave and Shroud

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
I had played "Call to the Grave" and my opponent only had a "Simic Sky Swallower," during his upkeep he didn't have to sacrifice it....  Shroud shouldn't affect this as the player has to sac the creature... it isn't targeted, correct?

Josh 
correct and this has already been confirmed as a bug.  awesome right?
correct and this has already been confirmed as a bug.  awesome right?

It definitely lost me the game...Cry
crazy thing is that it works with Gatekeeper of Malakir. I looked at the code and can't figure out why one does work, the other not.
Desolation Angel makes Dungrove Elder sad. - hydramarine
But please, use the bug report thread for these issues. The game has roundabout 666 bugs, and a thread for each one of them would not be so desirable ;)
I do believe it is a bug. Call to the Grave is making the player sacrifice the creature. This means that Shroud should not effect the out come of the sacrifice. The Shroud creature itself is not being targeted. Sames goes for Gatekeeper of Malakir

edited to correct misspelled word. 

IMAGE(https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/eb11/anyarpxhyntrzn86g.jpg)

I dont believe it is a bug. Call to the Grave is making the player sacrifice the creature. This means that Shroud should not effect the out come of the sacrifice. The Shroud creature itself is not being targeted. Sames goes for Gatekeeper of Malakir

The wording is "that player sacrifices a non-Zombie creature."  Not "that player selects target non-zombie creature to sacrifice."  You will not find any instance on any M:tG card where a Sacrifice effect targets a creature.  That's the beauty of Sacrifice, it gets around Shroud, Hexproof and Protection from X.  Sacrifice effects always target a player and have the player make a choice after the sacrifice effect resolves.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

I dont know why you needed to quote my post, sixty. Doing so makes it seem as if I was wrong in what I had said and you are trying to correct me. If you just need to reply to what is being said there is no need to quote the person.

I dont know why you needed to quote my post, sixty. Doing so makes it seem as if I was wrong in what I had said and you are trying to correct me. If you just need to reply to what is being said there is no need to quote the person.

I disagree with that ^. One needs to quote another to show and prove why they are WRONG! ;)

I quoted you because you said, "I don't believe it is a bug."   I wasn't sure how you could see it not being a bug when you described how it should work, and we know from experience that it doesn't work that way, so it's obviously a bug.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

so, you coding pros...

what is the reason?

this is Gatekeeper of Malakir:

<TRIGGER value="COMES_INTO_PLAY" simple_qualifier="self">return TriggerObject():Kicked() > 0TRIGGER>

<TARGET_DETERMINATION>local filter = Object():GetFilter() filter:Clear() filter:SetFilterType( FILTER_TYPE_PLAYERS ) return TargetBadF()TARGET_DETERMINATION>

<PLAY_TIME_ACTION target_choosing="1">ChooseTarget( "CARD_QUERY_CHOOSE_PLAYER_TO_SACRIFICE_CREATURE" )PLAY_TIME_ACTION>

<RESOLUTION_TIME_ACTION>local targetPlayer = Object():GetTargetPlayer() if targetPlayer ~= nil then local filter = Object():GetFilter() filter:Clear() filter:NotTargetted() filter:AddCardType( CARD_TYPE_CREATURE ) filter:SetZone( ZONE_IN_PLAY ) filter:SetPlayer( targetPlayer ) filter:PlayerAntiHint( targetPlayer ) targetPlayer:ChooseTarget( "CARD_QUERY_CHOOSE_CREATURE_TO_SACRIFICE" ) endRESOLUTION_TIME_ACTION>

<RESOLUTION_TIME_ACTION>local targetCreature = Object():GetTargetCard() if (targetCreature ~= nil) then targetCreature:Sacrifice() endRESOLUTION_TIME_ACTION>

and this is Call to the Grave:

<TRIGGER value="BEGINNING_OF_STEP">return ( MTG():GetStep() == STEP_UPKEEP and TriggerPlayer():MyTurn() ~= 0 )TRIGGER>

<RESOLUTION_TIME_ACTION>local pTags = { } local player = TriggerPlayer() local filter = Object():GetFilter() if player ~= nil then filter:Clear() filter:SetPlayer( player ) filter:SetController( player ) filter:SetZone( ZONE_IN_PLAY ) filter:AddCardType( CARD_TYPE_CREATURE ) filter:AddExtra( FILTER_EXTRA_FLIP_SUB_TYPES ) filter:AddSubType( CREATURE_TYPE_ZOMBIE ) filter:PlayerAntiHint( player ) filter:SetNeutral() player:SetTargetCount( 1 ) player:ChooseTarget( "CARD_QUERY_CHOOSE_CREATURE_TO_SACRIFICE" ) endRESOLUTION_TIME_ACTION>

<RESOLUTION_TIME_ACTION>local targetCreature = Object():GetTargetCard() if (targetCreature ~= nil) then targetCreature:Sacrifice() endRESOLUTION_TIME_ACTION>

somehow this "SetTargetCount( 1 )" must be the problem.

I quoted you because you said, "I don't believe it is a bug."   I wasn't sure how you could see it not being a bug when you described how it should work, and we know from experience that it doesn't work that way, so it's obviously a bug.

I see what you are saying. I typed the wrong word there. I hope it was clear I meant to say "do" and not dont. Sometimes what I type and what I think I am typeing are not the same.

Also the first says player and the second says target player but that pertains to declaring a player as a target for the first, and the alternating ability of the second.

The problem is that when the value of SetTargetCount is declared as a non zero value then the player is technically targetting their own creature (incorrectly) when the value is zero in the first instance the targetting step does not occur but they are choosing a creature to loose.  Is it possible to recompile the code once extracted from the Steam .dmz and then run it to test what happens when you take out the 1?

Would Stainless mind if we went through the entire bugs thread this way I wonder?! 
The first set of code includes the line:
filter:NotTargetted()

This probably defines what ChooseTarget method is allowed to select.
It's hard to say without seeing the function definitions, but if filter:NotTargetted() turns off targeting as a trigger, then crb caught it.  Quickly.  And easily.

And he's not even paid to do so.
isn't it really frustrating to see that they just would need to add and delete some lines of code to make things right, like in Lord of the Undead, where they just had to remove "FilteredCard():GetPlayer() == Object():GetPlayer()" to make it work the intended way.

Yet, they do nothing.
Yeah this is probly the biggest game breaking bug to date. I have no problem with someone making a separate thread about this. It needs to be fixed.

The fact that people are sitting here dissecting the bug and identifying the solution is just atrocious. Where the **** is the patch. We bought the game, it doesn't work and we know how it could be fixed. Just what the ****
It's hard to say without seeing the function definitions, but if filter:NotTargetted() turns off targeting as a trigger, then crb caught it.  Quickly.  And easily.

And he's not even paid to do so.

Well, it's a lot easier when there's a working one to compare to. 

The problem with bug fixing in general - even when paid to do it - is that you can't always know it they're going to be one quickly seen line of code or something much more complex.
For example, maybe the problem that Brave the Elements doesn't stop Captivating Vampire is that there's some huge problem in the targeting code itself, or maybe it's simply that the Vampire is missing something in its effect.  You can't know until looking in to it.
So say someone is given 4 hours to tackle the bug list we've come up with in this board.  What's to say they don't waste all that time finding complex bugs they can't address?  Sometimes it takes a while to organize bugs before you can even start to code.

So maybe we need to take our bug list here and 1) organize and prioritize it. (for example, this Shroud bug is more of an issue than cards saying "may" don't prompt you for a yes/no, at least those are predictable and fair to each player)  We should maybe get that list of just simple 1-card problems, try to get a patch for those, then make bigger cases about design problems.  and 2) give an example where possible of a card that does work properly.
i've just taken a look at them and the only flaw i can detect is that the control gain is not specified as a "black" action.

While for example Mind Control works as an enchantment and is "blue" it works, the Captivating Vampire's effect is just - hmm - a colourless effect - i think this is just totally missing in the game code...
i've just taken a look at them and the only flaw i can detect is that the control gain is not specified as a "black" action.

While for example Mind Control works as an enchantment and is "blue" it works, the Captivating Vampire's effect is just - hmm - a colourless effect - i think this is just totally missing in the game code...

OK, so maybe that turns out to be easy, too.  :D
But it takes time to figure that stuff out.  That's something that may be difficult, especially looking at the last bug list posted by a WotC employee and how it doesn't seem to be very focused on little card glitches.
For example, maybe if the vampire can target already-protected creatures (like that artifact creature with protection from all colors) then it's an easier bug to report.  Also, we can report which of the two cards in the combo are bugged.

But it takes time to figure that stuff out.  That's something that may be difficult, especially looking at the last bug list posted by a WotC employee and how it doesn't seem to be very focused on little card glitches.
For example, maybe if the vampire can target already-protected creatures (like that artifact creature with protection from all colors) then it's an easier bug to report.  Also, we can report which of the two cards in the combo are bugged.

What's funny is that we could isolate every error for each bug using the exact code and still nothing would get fixed.  It's not a matter of time spent testing, it's a matter of them simply not caring, Wizards included.

What's funny is that we could isolate every error for each bug using the exact code and still nothing would get fixed.  It's not a matter of time spent testing, it's a matter of them simply not caring, Wizards included.

^THAT.  On topic though.  I just found this bug myself this morning while playing and unlocking more zombie cards and I was swearing to myself that it had to be a bug.  Only difference was I was against a Simic Sky Swallower  AND a Isleback Spawn at the same time.  Talk about frustrating!!!!  So with respect to the coding argument, is this a problem with the Call to the Grave targetting? Or is it coding problem with the Shroud ability overall?  I know other sacrifice cards do work against shroud, so I have no idea why its working that way with this one.  But it certainly makes me think twice about playing against Ancient Depths!

^THAT.  On topic though.  I just found this bug myself this morning while playing and unlocking more zombie cards and I was swearing to myself that it had to be a bug.  Only difference was I was against a Simic Sky Swallower  AND a Isleback Spawn at the same time.  Talk about frustrating!!!!  So with respect to the coding argument, is this a problem with the Call to the Grave targetting? Or is it coding problem with the Shroud ability overall?  I know other sacrifice cards do work against shroud, so I have no idea why its working that way with this one.  But it certainly makes me think twice about playing against Ancient Depths!

crb042 got it on page 2 - "The first set of code includes the line:

This probably defines what ChooseTarget method is allowed to select. "

From the Gatekeeper of Malakir ^^

This is missing in Call to the Grave, bad programming.

By adding this line where you guys said, it works as intended...

I made a couple of custom decks , one green with loads of hexproof creatures and then Geth's deck with 4 x Call to the Grave in it.. 

On CPU upkeep, they were sacrificing Thrun, Sacred Wolf, Lumberknot etc...

So it is truely an easy fix, no unintended side effects observed and Call to the Grave went to the graveyard if no creatures were present