Question on Implements

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was thinking about something the other day, and it's been bugging me ever since:

So weapon classes get proficiency bonuses from their weapons, while implement classes make up for it with implement bonuses. But basic implements don't give a bonus, while a basic longsword gives +3 to anyone proficient with it. And even when the implement users get a nifty +1 implement of spells, the weapon user will probably have a +1 sword of hitting already.

+3 is a pretty big bonus to lack. Since 4E is based around balance, I was shocked that non-weapon classes would be put at such a disadvantage. What's up with this?
I guess one of the balancing factors is that weapon users will more often attack one enemy at a time whereas implement users can more often attack multiple enemies at once.  In practice, it's really not that big of a disadvantage, IMO, especially when the party is working as a team.  It actually allows for good synergy.

But speaking of imbalance, I'm still trying to figure out why plate wearers get the shaft compared to hide wearers.  But that's another thread.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Implement-users almost always attack vs. Fortitude, Reflex or Will.

Non - AC defenses are almost always two to three points lower than AC.

Balance achieved.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Implement-users almost always attack vs. Fortitude, Reflex or Will.

Non - AC defenses are almost always two to three points lower than AC

Oh yeah! That works out great. I can rest easy now :D. Thanks.