Would a sorcerer/ardent hybrid work?

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
In the current game I am in, our leader doesn't seem to know how to grasp how to play a leader and he is very squishy so he tends to fall first in combat and of course that doesn't help the rest of the group. Our DM is very open to whatever changes we want for the characters, so I have been toying with the idea of hybriding my sorcerer out with a leader class. I just can't seem to decide which leader class would best fit. 

I was looking at Ardent, because I like their at will Energizing Strike and the options of making temp hp to actual healing. Also, bard might work but the sorcerer already has been multiclassed with bard to pick up the new Master of Stories feat to get the encounter heal so it seems to me that hybriding it to a full class bard would be sort of redundant and I'd loose more sorcerer stuff than I would really gain picking up the hybrid bard.

So, I am asking if the sorcerer and the ardent would be a good hybrid? How would the two classes work in higher levels? Would any of you have another leader option I am not thinking of to hybrid with?

Build wise, it has to be a halfling (I cannot change races without actually killing the character which isn't what I want to do) but everything else is fair game. This is a Dark Sun Campagin, so no eberron shards/feats and nothing from other campaigns. Anything else from the Dragon magazines and Essentials/Hero's books is open to talking with the DM about. If any of you wouldn't mind helping with making a build up, that would be great as I know I am probably missing something with the ones I make up.
You're asking how a multitarget implement using striker synergizes with a single-target boosting weapon based psionic character, both of them heavily dependent on their standard actions to do their thing. Do you really need an answer here? >_>

To put it bluntly, it just doesn't work. At all. It's a bad combo. A terrible one, in fact. Bard would not be ideal, but at least it would be workable.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
Back to the basic issue, is your team better off with a second (half) leader, or better off with a decent striker, and a more educated player for this leader?

How about you bite the bullet, and try to guide your fellow player. If he is very squishy, maybe (probably) he should not be in the front lines, and perhaps the rest of your team could do a better job protecting their healer?

edit: typos
Yeah I'd say the guy who needs to retool his character is the leader.  If he's in the "rush into melee" mindset, recommend he make a battle cleric or runepriest.  Alternately, if he's a squishy ranged character, try to get him to stay back. He might actually enjoy the game more if he dies less.  Trading your damage potential for more healing is just going to stretch fights out longer.
The new runepriest is a great "run into melee" leader.

It's actually tougher then most defenders.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Kinda out of left field, mellored. How does that apply to this here thread?
Yeah I'd say the guy who needs to retool his character is the leader.  If he's in the "rush into melee" mindset, recommend he make a battle cleric or runepriest.  Alternately, if he's a squishy ranged character, try to get him to stay back. He might actually enjoy the game more if he dies less.  Trading your damage potential for more healing is just going to stretch fights out longer.

The new runepriest is a great "run into melee" leader. It's actually tougher then most defenders.

Kinda out of left field, mellored. How does that apply to this here thread?

If you actually read all of the posts in the thread, in order, you should quite clearly see the reasoning/purpose behind mellored's statement...
I almost recommended Runepriest as well, but they seem pretty detail-oriented and have a lot of things to remember/consider on your turn. The guy playing the leader doesn't sound like that kind of player, at least not yet.
It isn't horrible. But it is almost strictly worse than a couple of other choices based on how psionic characters work and the why you're going into being a semi-leader. Namely:
Psionic hybrids gain a lot of benefit from investing an encounter choice in picking up a 2nd at-will, particularly one that is of paragon or epic tier. As well as picking a psionic paragon path.

You're not really intending to be a leader - it is more that you're intending to be a Sorcerer who minors in being a Leader, preferably with the least amount of resource expenditure possible.

-----

i.e. you want your encounter choices to be Sorcerer. So you can't spam a cool Ardent power without giving up your paragon path choice or an encounter choice. Which makes you reliant on a single solid Ardent power that is an at-will. If that's something you really want, be a Half-Elf who picks it up with Versatile Master.

I'd either go Sorcerer|Bard/Warlord or Sorcerer|Warlord/Bard depending on what's more appealing to you. Sorcerer|Bard MC Warlord allows you to easily pick up the Resourceful Warlord and Bravura Warlord feats - a very fast path to +7/+11/15 damage on an action point spent by an ally(plus some temps and granting of CA to targets) - to look at +7 damage on an action point to a 6th level character in a party of 5 - assuming each character spends 2 action points/3 combats, that's 8 action points/3 combats * +7 damage, or an average of +19 generally frontloaded damage per combat presuming you can get people to remember that you're boosting their damage and they only make single target attacks with their action points.

Sorcerer|Warlord MC Bard(Skald) gets you a 2nd heal and initiative boosting, but shakier action point boosting capabilities. As a Striker|Leader, you're rarely going to be that excited by granting other people attacks, but initiative boosting is generally really strong.

Either should be fun and work reasonably well - if you're in a party with new players, going for completely optimal builds likely isn't the greatest of ideas. 
I second sorcerer|warlord. The initiative boost on its own is lovely on a ranged AoEer and they have a few off turn powers to pick too.
I do not get it. Why are the majority of the posters in favor of replacing a striker with a hybrid leader?
I do not get it. Why are the majority of the posters in favor of replacing a striker with a hybrid leader?

Sorcerer is one of those classes that doesn't particularly penalize going hybrid assuming the point is to be a Sorcerer who also happens to be another class. A Sorcerer|Bard with Staff Expertise as an example:
At wills: Vicious Mockery, Blazing Starfall
Encounter: Blunder, Flame Spiral

And it isn't as if there aren't any great Bard dailies or utility powers. All that has to happen is that you spend a hybrid talent feat to get Soul of the Sorcerer and you're really the same Sorcerer that you were. Except now you have better skill checks, a heal/encounter, some control options, and more feat/multiclassing options.
Yeah, it's pretty easy to be 90% of a striker while also picking up 50% or more of another role. 
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director

Sorcerer kinda fails and most anything is an improvement?
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).

This statement is laughably wrong, try again.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Sorcerers tend to rate badly for at-will DPR and single target novas, the two things CharOp rates strikers on. They're a little better than CharOp tends to give them credit for, but they can end up fairly unimpressive in the wrong hands.
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director

This statement is laughably wrong, try again.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of all this Wizarding I'm doing! ;)
In the current game I am in, our leader doesn't seem to know how to grasp how to play a leader and he is very squishy so he tends to fall first in combat and of course that doesn't help the rest of the group. Our DM is very open to whatever changes we want for the characters, so I have been toying with the idea of hybriding my sorcerer out with a leader class. I just can't seem to decide which leader class would best fit.

You could start minoring in leader, but you should also consider if a defender wouldn't be better - that way your leader has an easier time surviving to do their job. Assuming you want to stay part sorcerer, a paladin hybrid should do quite nicely. Just grab a bunch of powers that inflict Divine Sanction.

Here's a sample build I cooked up. Still has some blanks to fill in (equipment, background, theme, skills), but the general idea is there: Use your paladin powers to apply Divine Sanction, stay in the thick of battle to exploit your Cosmic Cycle benefits and Lost in the Crowd, and apply sorcerer AoE damage whenever you feel like it. I'd suggest starting encounters with Phase of the Sun, which will add some damage, and you'll automatically switch to Phase of the Moon when bloodied, giving you a neat AC boost when you need it most.
Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 8
Halfling, Paladin|Sorcerer
Hybrid Paladin: Hybrid Paladin Will
Sorcerous Power: Sorcerous Power Strength
Hybrid Talent: Soul of the Sorcerer
Soul of the Sorcerer: Soul of the Cosmic Cycle

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 10, Dex 13, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 20.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 10, Dex 11, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 16.

AC: 20 Fort: 18 Reflex: 15 Will: 21
HP: 58 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 14

TRAINED SKILLS

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +7, Arcana +3, Bluff +9, Diplomacy +9, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +4, Heal +5, History +3, Insight +5, Intimidate +9, Nature +5, Perception +5, Religion +3, Stealth +5, Streetwise +9, Thievery +7, Athletics +8

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Unarmored Agility
Level 4: Staff Expertise
Level 6: Lost in the Crowd
Level 8: Staff Fighting

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Virtuous Strike
Hybrid at-will 1: Blazing Starfall
Hybrid encounter 1: Valorous Smite
Hybrid daily 1: Majestic Halo
Hybrid utility 2: Call of Challenge