The Hengeyokai in Eberron

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
The article, "Ecology of the Hengeyokai" really doesn't pertain to Eberron's history, so I thought I'd come up with something more fitting for the setting.

Let's see what you think about this developing idea of mine.

Near the end of the Last War,  a renegade of House Vadalis researchers took a number of imprisoned Shifters captured by Thrane during many conflicts.  At Thrane and the Church of the Silver Flame's behest, these researchers with the Mark of Handling began exparimenting the shapeshifting abilities of Shifters and other creatures with similar abilities including some of their own Druids.

Whether this exparimentation was known by the leaders House Vadalis is unknown - though they deny any knowledge in these inhuman expariments.

Throughout this research campaign, the idea of using House Vadalis Magebreeding techniques to enhance the Shifters natural abilities.  These enhancements soon evolved into the attempted combination of Shifter and other animals using magebreeding techniques.

The laboratory was eventually located by a collective mission by Cyre and Karrnath, but not before those involved destroyed their research and disposed of any test subjects.  During this time, some of the Shifters, animals and even the new magebreed creations made an escape and sought refuge in the forrests nearby, relying on their innate beastal abilities to survive.

These refugee creatures that are not Shifters, yet share many of their animalistic ways have begun slowly propegating on their own, here and there in different small towns nearby forests all over Khorvaire.  It is unknown whether they truly have a community to call their own, but in many of their newly settled homes they are welcome as ranchers, farmers, and hunters.

Still others, remained in the wild, truly adopting their feral side.  These few might have communities within dense forests.  Here, they revere primal magic of all sorts, embracing the many Druidic traditios of Khorvaire.

What do you think so far? 
Looks good, although I would make it more clandinstine with only Vadalis knowing about it.  Not anything wrong with bringing in Sliver Flame, just that expermenting on people is a pretty evil act typically, and the Silver Flame gets that pushed on them enough.

If it came up in my came I would just tie them in as part of the feywild that rarely shows up in Eberron. 
I actually want the PCs to stumble upon the secret Vadalis expariment as a main plotpoint in the game, so I'll take your advice and leave the SF out of it.
The story is quite interesting, but the Silver Flame is its hardly probable participant.
Firstly, the Church rarely works together with Dragonmarked Houses, secondly it wouldn't produce even more lycantropic creatures.

I think, the cooperation of renegade Vadalis heir and a member of one of evil druidic sects will fit better. 

For myself, I would rather place Hengeyokai on Sarlona as more "oriental-styled" continent.
They could be an offspring of the Inspired Lord's experiments or product of Lammania's wild manifest zone. Or maybe they have descended from the same anchestors as normal shifters and have developed their own way of evolution.
I think your idea sounds pretty cool, though I agree with the others that the Church of the Silver Flame would be unlikely participants in the scheme.  I wrote the article from a FR/Kara-Tur perspective, but I did want to include some tidbits for the PoL and Eberron settings.  Canonically, the sidebar would be the official story (and thus the hengeyokai came from Thelanis, after fleeing from the eladrin following their war with the fomorians). If I was going to go in your direction, I would say that House Vadalis would either act alone or in concert with Aundairian agents; maybe tie your story into the Eldeen Reaches's revolt during the Last War.
Tim Eagon My DDI Articles Follow me on Twitter @Tim_Eagon

For myself, I would rather place Hengeyokai on Sarlona as more "oriental-styled" continent.
They could be an offspring of the Inspired Lord's experiments or product of Lammania's wild manifest zone. Or maybe they have descended from the same anchestors as normal shifters and have developed their own way of evolution.

Very good suggestios, all of them.

Failing that...there is always Xen' drik and its weird, weird creatures. 
Resident Prophet of the Reformed OTTers We offer free desserts and second helpings.
This idea has The Feral Heart written all over it.