Competing in a Star City Qualifier - Making Final Tweaks

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is a Grixis deck I've been working on, and it's been doing extraordinary for me. So, given I have a free Sunday and a deck I've been doing well with, I'll be trying my hand at my local Star City Games Invitational Qualifier. So, I'm looking for any advice and critiques you can offer.

Planeswalkers (5):
3x Liliana of the Veil
2x Chandra, the Firebrand

Creatures (7):
1x Wurmcoil Engine
3x Olivia Voldaren
3x Snapcaster Mage

Artifacts (2):
2x Batterskull

Instants (17):
4x Mana Leak
4x Dissipate
4x Think Twice
3x Slagstorm
2x Go for the Throat

Sorceries (3):
1x Sorin's Vengeance
2x Devil's Play

Land (26):
2x Dragonskull Summit
3x Drowned Catacomb
4x Sulfur Falls
4x Blackcleave Cliffs
4x Darkslick Shores
4x Island
3x Mountain
2x Swamp

SB:
3x Volt Charge
2x Ancient Grudge
3x Flashfreeze
2x Doom Blade
2x Surgical Extraction
2x Consecrated Sphinx
1x Slagstorm

Any help is appreciated.
http://thedailydungeon.blogspot.com/ My Daily D&D blog - cities, dungeons, NPC's, and more
I would maybe trim back Dissipates for Negates, just to ease the pressure on the manabase a little bit. I'm not sure Volt Charge actually does enough here, but it may be better than I think.
If you're expecting a lot of control, I'd cut the dissipates for negate!

If you're expecting a lot of aggro, run the slagstorms main I think will help.
Also, is there any reason that you aren't running Darkslick Shores?  
@MrIndigo
For changing Dissipate to Negate, would you swap out all four Dissipates for four Negate, or a different mix? I am just a little cautious of it though.

And on Volt Charge, it's great against control, and good against aggro. The main reason it's there is to set Liliana and/or Chandra one turn closer to their ultimate.

@Hexar
Unfortunately, I'm not completely sure on what to expect. Though it's worth noting control is my stronger match up.
In the control arena I'm sure to see Solar Flare, possibly some fellow Grixis decks.
In terms of aggro, goblins, Humans, Geist, and Puresteel decks are all possible.
Finally, I'm expecting Heartless Summoning.

Expecting decks of that sort, what mix of counterspells would be my best choice? And in expecting these matchups, are slags mainboard a good choice?

@RegalFanton
I could probably cut an island or two in favor of Darkslick Shores, particularly given the importance of Lili and Olivia.

Fianlly, Patrick Chapin recently ran Grixis at worlds, and one major change I'm considering looking at his list is going from Think Twice to Desperate Ravings. Any thoughts on that?
http://thedailydungeon.blogspot.com/ My Daily D&D blog - cities, dungeons, NPC's, and more
@Hexar
Unfortunately, I'm not completely sure on what to expect. Though it's worth noting control is my stronger match up.
In the control arena I'm sure to see Solar Flare, possibly some fellow Grixis decks.
In terms of aggro, goblins, Humans, Geist, and Puresteel decks are all possible.
Finally, I'm expecting Heartless Summoning.

Expecting decks of that sort, what mix of counterspells would be my best choice? And in expecting these matchups, are slags mainboard a good choice?
quote]

I really think you should talk with some people and do an analysis with people. Some decks popular at worlds were:

Illusions/Human/Monored/Tempered Steel, so if you expect clones from world decks, then run slagstorm main.
Note that 7/8 decks in the top 8 at worlds were aggro.

If you expect people are going to be playing lots of control don't worry about it.

Just remember that you want to have a good sideboard and don't get down if you lose a game. You can easily switch it up depending on the match-up so try to maindeck against the majority of the decks and sideboard against the other matchups
I meant maybe a 2-2 split for negate and dissipate depending on how stressed you find the mana.
Fianlly, Patrick Chapin recently ran Grixis at worlds, and one major change I'm considering looking at his list is going from Think Twice to Desperate Ravings. Any thoughts on that?

I don't think there is much favor for Desperate Ravings to be found here.  Personally, I don't like it because it doesn't give you the chance to maximize your hand properly, you may discard just the card you wanted to keep.  Think Twice is simple, you draw a card, and for the same mana cost you get a less riskier effect with the same bonus.  I think Chapin was looking for the opportunity to maximize his Snapcasters I guess, I dunno.
56735468 wrote:
Residual energetic and psychic emenations from the spark of planewalkers going in and out of the blind eternities like it was a windmill eventually coalesced into beings named eldrazi who by their very nature could not consume mundane sources of nourishment to sustain their existence.
Play 4x Darkslick and 4x Blackcleave. They're your best lands
Come find me on League of Legends, still under FruFruLOL IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGFrufrucopy.png)
@Indigo
As it stands right now, 14/26 lands can produce blue mana, so by turn three I ought to be able to produce the required two blue, and playing the deck that is typically the case. Exiling certain cards is also powerful, given how many decks operate out of their graveyard.

@Georg
I'm coming to the same conclusion. If just one little word were removed from Desperate Ravings, random, I would run it in a heartbeat. Though given that it really could wreck my hand, I agree that Think Twice is my better option.

@FruFru
Please understand my caution at changing four lands this close to game time, but what would you remove in favor of two more Darkslicks and Cliffs?
Okay, FruFru, I did change the land, I added Batterskull main deck moving Consecrated Sphinx to the SB for control matchups, and that summarizes the main changes. There is another piddly change or two to the SB, but in the main, this is the deck now. Any further critiques are welcome, but for tonight I'm setting it off to the side, as any more fretting and play testing is likely to drive me up a wall.

Thanks to you all, and wish me luck tomorrow.
I was talking to AJ Sacher yesterday when he was streaming his modo PTQ and he seemed to think that Chandra hasn't had her chance to shine and that she could be something played in a Grixis type deck with Tezzeret Gambit or something.

Anyway, good luck.
Come find me on League of Legends, still under FruFruLOL IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGFrufrucopy.png)