Forest/fey pc

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hullo, my pc is a longtooth shifter who's been living in a Forrest and is being followed by a primal eagle (to keep mc options open). He was a slave of a fey entity (any ideas what this could be) and now lives in a forrest. The class is a reflavoured cleric (I count as arcane) with dex 8. Any ideas what skills he'd need?
If you can, check out the Origin Story section of the new Heroes of The Feywild book.

Fomorians take a lot of slaves, so they're a good place to start. You can read all about them and their slavery in both Heroes of The Feywild, and in the Feywild chapter of Manual of The Planes. Also, there are Drow in the Feydark, and they are just as evil and messed up as Drow in the mortal world. Unseelie Fey in general are a good source of slavers. There is also a goblin kingdom in the Feywild, called Nachtur.

Escaped slaves are likely to have learned stealth, bluff, perception, streetwise and endurance.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
Hullo, my pc is a longtooth shifter who's been living in a Forrest and is being followed by a primal eagle (to keep mc options open). He was a slave of a fey entity (any ideas what this could be) and now lives in a forrest. The class is a reflavoured cleric (I count as arcane) with dex 8. Any ideas what skills he'd need?

Not sure how interested in optimization you are, but Dex (as well as Con) is just about the last stat I'd put an 8 into.  And 8 Dex nets you a -1 Initiative (and Con is -1 surge).  Additionally, it seems like this PC would have decent Stealth (escaped slave = being hunted, plus LT Shifter = predatory).  Just a suggestion, though.
Yeah I realised that waaay too late! I could have had a surprise round against a group of zombies. My +1 dex mod 1/2 lvl - 1 coupled with my roll of a one meant I missed out on my sacred flame. Mind I got my +4 str/wis!
Yeah, this is why Int is such a common dump stat.  It shares Reflex with Dex, but doesn't get you initiative, and for most characters, doesn't get you as many useful skills as Dex can.  But if it's too late it's too late, and you can always work the bit of clumsiness and slow reflexes into your character concept if it feels appropriate.  If it were me, I'd probably describe my character as heavily scarred, slightly limping, or otherwise a bit movement impaired from extended beatings by his former masters.  Then when you make a low initiative roll or screw up a dex-based skill check, it's cool flavor and a continual reminder of the wrongs done to your character in the past, rather than just a sad die roll.  And that kind of physical ailment is definitely a fun trope for a spellcaster like yours.  If you're stuck with dumped Dex already, might as well have fun with it!

I'd train in Heal(off your Wis, and flavorful for your background), Arcana (since you're an arcane caster, this seems appropriate), and either Insight, or pick up Perception from a background.  If you want him to be more physically able in some ways, you can always take a backround for Athletics instead (especially if you took Battle Cleric's Lore for scale armor, since it doesn't have a check penalty), since you could be pretty good at that.  But even if you don't pick it up, 18 str and the racial bonus will be good enough for basic proficiency. 
Yeah I'm stuck with arcana as is. Lovin the scar things. My pc is 10724 (dunno how he's lvl 4) and he's rather violent. I've got insight and percepion and working toward athletics. Need stealth somehow though...