Need some help picking a race

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am about to start playing a planescape game and i am rolling up old school wizard. We are starting in sigil so far my story is my wizard was a student at an arcane university in a pocket dimension (or demi plane not sure which is the right word) under an arch wizard who is known for his specialty in imposing his will on the universe which he demonstrated by shaping his own plane. It is an extremely prestigious school with ties to everywhere.

Now i was going to roll up an imposer wizard but i am having trouble picking a great race and possibly polish out the background some more i am aiming for more RP side than mechanical. I was thinking either human or refluff a deva as a human immortal if its not too far of a stretch.
Are you willing to consider races that don't get an INT bonus? I ask because you're saying that you're aiming more for the RP side than the mechanical, and not restricting yourself to races with an INT bonus can open up a lot of really cool and original possibilities.

Otherwise, my experience indicates that, from a mechanical standpoint, Human Wizards are great. Being able to have three at-will controller powers, each of which targets a different defense, is awesome. Taking Tome of Readiness for even more versatility will also mean that you don't have to worry about any secondary stats.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
hmm i havnt thought about non int bonus race to be honest.
A lot of people act like your race NEEDS to give you a bonus to your primary stat or else you can't be an effective character, but it's not really true. I might recommend that you then spend as many points as possible to put an 18 into INT if you play a race that doesn't give you a bonus to it, but that's pretty much all that you should need to compensate for it. Here's a short list off of the top of my head of reasonably good races that it opens up: Half-Elf, Halfling, Goliath, Satyr, Shifter, Wilden

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
Well...
What do you want you're character to act like?
What would be some personality traits?

If you are trained under an imposing wizard, wouldn't you be imposed upon yourself?
seems like a warforged would fit. Being a construct sent out by the wizard, or perhaps one that escaped the wizards.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

His particular school of magic is a sort of harry potter esque school where its students study to shape the world they live in. My wizard is ambitious nearly to the point of overconfidence and believes magic can solve all his problems.  He has no patron deity and is probably along the lines of an agnostic in the D&D world despite coming from the planes where gods can interact with mortals he believes them to be powerful spirits and belief only fuels their power so he tends to stay out of the squabbles between primordials and gods.

Behavior & traits
Cool and reserved
Believes the answer to any question can be found in magic
Loves to shape the world around him
Has alot of pride in his school but now that he graduated he feels the only way he can grow as a wizard is to explore the planes from which he draws his power.

With this in mind i thought imposer was the best wizard choice to fit the concept but race still elludes me. I dont think warforged would fit the concept of the school because the school i have in my mind would use mindless sentinels for defense kind of like the last harry potter movie. The plan for this character if it ever hits paragon or epic is to go planeshifter > planeshaper
Have you considered Genasi?  It would be a much more "alien" feel, but it might give you a context for the kind of extraplanar association you're looking for (or it might be completely wrong).

I do strongly support Human Tome of Readiness wizards.  They're lots of fun, and good for flavoring a Wizard who's done extensive studying, or just happens to know lots and lots of spells.

For a moment I was thinking Kalashtar, but a refluffed Deva would be at least as cool and definitely more effective.  Heck, you could even make him a Gnome or a Tiefling.  And if you don't need the int bonus, I second Half-Elf, Halfling and Wilden all being cool choices.  Goliath is an odd wizard, and Str is the last mandatory bonus you'd want, but if you're not heavily optimizing, wizards are SAD enough to make anything work fine.  The racial support for durability combined with Staff Expertise could make your goliath wizard willing to get up front a little more than others might... and let's face it, planeshaping is even more badass if you can take plenty of close blast powers to screw with the land right in front of you.  Come to think of it, if you don't need an Int bonus and you want a durable wizard interested in the workings of matter, why not a Dwarf?  In another life, he could have become a great craftsman, mason, or, with his unusual intelligence, maybe an architect, but he took to magic as his preferred means of manipulating the world around him.    All that, con/wis bumps, and a minor action second wind!

Yeah.  Dwarf Wizard is my official recommendation if you want something more interesting than human or genasi. 
Sadly, i dont like dwarves not for any mechanical reasons i just dont like them. Never did dont know why, maybe because everyone rps them as an Irish drunk. I was thinking as my primary impliment orb of imposition would be the most perfect fit. Tome of readiness maybe as an extra and i dont need a race with both primary stats lining up. i was thinking for my stat array to fit along the lines of 8/10/12/16/16/12 pre-racials should qualify me for all the interesting wizard feats. For the concept though i am having trouble fitting a Deva into it despite having the racial feat and stat support they were notorious for orb wizards just being half angel servant to the gods just doesnt fit well. Maybe if i went a wizard mc clerical setup but it isnt what im looking for. Genasi could be fun fluffed up as a half elemental.

Do you think refluffing a deva as a human immortal would be a flavorful background or just sound too much like im justifying an optimal racial choice? I like the idea of some of their racials like memory of a thousand lifetimes, remembered wizardry and it gives me a reason to be bright enough to have made it to the planes in the first place. That aside im a fan of Eladrin, drow, pixie and tieflings as well. Rarely humans but in this case i could go for it.
If your setting is a homebrew (as it sounds like it is) and Devas don't explicitly exist in a certain way in it, I think it's perfectly reasonable to interpret a Deva that way.  It sounds like you're holding onto the general concepts of the Deva but removing their connection to the gods, which sounds appropriate to your character and setting.

Eladrin and Tieflings certainly make lovely wizards too, but if you're already going orbs and you like the Deva option, you might as well get your +Int/Wis. 
Or tiefling with the Orb of Deception Implement and get your INT/CHA
I really enjoy playing Githzerai as they have the ideals you speak of. Perosnal growth through constant determination. And the stats fit too

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

I'm going to second githzerai as being perfect for what you describe.  Githzerai are a perfect race for Planescape, and they live in the Elemental Chaos, and in their monastaries, there are always a small group of people who spend the whole day imposing their will on the chaos to make it habitable, with other monks relieving them periodically.  Imposing order on chaos through will and dicipline is kind of a major racial trait with githzerai.

And they get INT/WIS, if you like.
Old-school tiefling would fit.
You could even meet your daddy in paragon/epic tier as a potential enemy.
It would be a good idea to have a concept of which type Tanar'ri is your daddy, so you can incorporate some physical/mental aspects of that type into your character.
Can be subtle, of course, for example, a tiefling with violet eyes being descendant from a Glabrezu.
Sign In to post comments