Beyond the Crystal Cave NEW PRE-GENS!

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello all,

So D&D Encounters: Beyond the Crystal Cave is a thing. A fun thing. A fantastical adventure and role playing filled thing.

A fey thing, if you will.

So far, I'm loving it, but I've found that character creation portion of the game is still a bit wonky. Outside of the online character builder, rolling up a 4e character from scratch is still a very complex process; one most new players are unwilling to commit to, and justifiably so.

That said, a grea deal of players have asked for new pre-generated characters to play. The six standard ones from the last few seasons are great (Fargrim the Dwarf is the best dwarf), but a lot of players want to try something new, without having to go through the hassle of making a character from scratch.

Rather than complain to Wizards about this issue, I took it upon myself to produce some high quality 1-page pregens for the new Heroes of the Feywild setting of the new season of Encounters:

Constructive criticism is welcomed, as is any other ideas or suggestions. I also made three other pre-gens (based on three of D&D's newest and most iconic characters), which are available on my blog. Please check them out.

Enjoy.

dungeonsdonuts.blogspot.com/
I shall say that I like the art of 'em. Fit my world.
Thanks for making the effort.
Thanks for making the effort.

No problem. I found there was a demand for them at the local game store.

Plus, anything that reduces the amount of paper printed for characters makes me happy.

The character builder's 5-page print out setup is a travesty of inefficiency and waste. The WotC pre-gen layout is the cleanest, most intuitive version of the sheets I've seen in a while.
I would go so far as to say that these are Excellent. Most Excellent, in fact.

Though I feel that a Pixie would really round out the set.
"Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” ~Mark Twain
I would go so far as to say that these are Excellent. Most Excellent, in fact.

Though I feel that a Pixie would really round out the set.

Yeah, people were lamenting the lack of a pixie.

I didn't include one mostly because I lacked WotC sanctioned art of one. In the character builder there are only 2 examples of a pixie (and they look almost identical...and none of them show the character's face).

Still, the people that wanted to play a pixie brought their own. There was an abundance of them.

I may make some pixie sheets in the future. Check out my blog for details.
Thanks a bunch for these. I wrote them out on the fancy character sheets that were sent with the season, then print-screen paint-cropped the powers and printed them on the back of each one. The satyr actually helped clear up a rules question for our player who had made a satyr skald (he was using strength for his basic attacks and wondering why he wasn't hitting!). 

As for pixies... we don't have any at our tables, but with all the craziness around them after they were previewed, probably anyone who wanted to play one would have made one.

It's also good to know I'm not the only one who despises the 5-page character sheets that the Builder prints out. I've had to ban players from printing character builder sheets at our store, because it wastes so much paper. If I was ever even close to on the fence about DDI, that would have tipped me away entirely. 
Thanks for the feedback.

If you like the pre-gens, I've got lots more on my blog, as well as some great musings and podcasts.

Dungeons & Donuts

Check it out.
Did you make that card template yourself?  I tried making one myself but it doesn't look nearly as nice as that.
The sheets look great, but they have a bunch of errors, some of them very serious! 

Berserker
- You should state which powers are primal (Savage Cut and Life Ending Strike, since that information is needed for Berserker Fury.
- Also, there is an error in the description of Berserker Fury: "all of your attacks deal 1d8 extra damage" should be "all your _basic_ attacks". That is quite a difference!

Scout
- Dual Weapon Attack is a Free Action, not a Standard Action.

Bard
- Lesser Ringing Weapon does NOT have a hit line dealing 3d8+6 damage.
- Cautionary Tale's effect does not end when you use an at-will.

Wizard
- The ability scores are too low - using point buy, that character has 5 unspent points. That is enough to buy her a 14 in Con or (likely better) take a 20 Int after lowering some other stat to 8.

Paladin
- The character is missing the Bloodhunt racial trait.

Rogue
- The way backstab is written, it suggests that the target takes 3d6 damage plus the 2d6 sneak attack damage.
- Feinting trick only works without combat advantage (making it unplayable).

My blog about 4e rules and news: Square Fireballs The Magic Item Reset: A standalone set of items for 4E
The sheets look great, but they have a bunch of errors, some of them very serious! 

Berserker
- You should state which powers are primal (Savage Cut and Life Ending Strike, since that information is needed for Berserker Fury.
- Also, there is an error in the description of Berserker Fury: "all of your attacks deal 1d8 extra damage" should be "all your _basic_ attacks". That is quite a difference!

Scout
- Dual Weapon Attack is a Free Action, not a Standard Action.

Bard
- Lesser Ringing Weapon does NOT have a hit line dealing 3d8+6 damage.
- Cautionary Tale's effect does not end when you use an at-will.

Wizard
- The ability scores are too low - using point buy, that character has 5 unspent points. That is enough to buy her a 14 in Con or (likely better) take a 20 Int after lowering some other stat to 8.

Paladin
- The character is missing the Bloodhunt racial trait.

Rogue
- The way backstab is written, it suggests that the target takes 3d6 damage plus the 2d6 sneak attack damage.
- Feinting trick only works without combat advantage (making it unplayable).

Thanks so much for the feedback. I'm working on fixes for all the sheets at the moment.

Thought I'd been pretty thorough, but looks like I made some big mistakes.

Fixes to come soon.
Sign In to post comments