Pixie characters: Enjoyable!

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Greetings, all. Recently, I had the pleasure to play in a one-shot run by one of the players in my group. We needed a defender, and the character that I initially wanted to play (a fairly stereotypical paladin, mounted on a warhorse, etc) wouldn't have meshed well with the party's assassin, shade, and warlock. So, I decided to go for teh lulz, and I ran a Pixie paladin. I had great fun playing it, and thoroughly enjoyed hamming up the size difference. My fellow players erupted into gales of laughter when I finished describing him (since I started by establishing that he was a monster, head and shoulders above the others of his kind, and ending with the fact that he's a foot tall). So, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

What other enjoyable pixie characters have you ran?

As a post note, I chose full plate armor. The character builder reduced the speed from 4 to 3, but didn't reduce the fly speed from 6 to 5. I did that anyways; was I right? 

Gold is for the mistress, silver for the maid

Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.

"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,

"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all." -Kipling

Miss d20 Modern? Take a look at Dias Ex Machina Game's UltraModern 4e!

57019168 wrote:
I am a hero, not a chump.
I decided to go for teh lulz, and I ran a Pixie paladin

Ditto. 'Tankardtall' (aka 'Tank') rides an overweight, pixie-dusted housecat... but mechanically, I'm just using the pixie's normal movement rate. The cat is just fluff.

For a miniature I use a Heroclix Wasp glued to a Torch Bearer Marker (so I can easily occupy the same square as another miniature). I also added a sword and shield made from the Horrorclix Carny's dagger and lollipop (I had plenty of extras after converting several Carnies to normal bystanders).
Haven't exactly made him yet but I do intend to play a jerkass, alcoholic, bisexual pixie who accidently got bonded to a male book imp prostitute (familiar) and is only adventuring so that he and the book imp can get a "divorce". I'm probably going to have him constantly arguing with his familiar like an old married couple
I have a pixie witch to replace an elf ranger I'd been playing as a reskinned thief type for our party.  Started at 8th level to stay with the rest of the party.  He can turn stuff into frogs twice/day in addition to all the other keen new stuff like the witch bolt that essentially gives you a powerful magic missile that persists once you've hit something and keep it in range.
I have a Pixie Executioner that I have yet to play (though I would dearly love to). 

He used to be an enforcer for the mob. He usually wears an appropriately-sized three-piece suit (pin-striped) and a fedora. He wields a war pick, which he often uses as a walking stick, and usually gets around by standing on one of the tentacles of his pet displacer beast.

His name is Bewilderforce Gumption. 
"Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” ~Mark Twain

There's an ongoing dicussion in CharOp (or was it Rules Q&A) about the fact that effects which apply to your Speed don't actually affect your movement modes other than your walk speed.

And my pixie pred-charger druid Jack Daw is fluffed as sort of a fey were-crow/crow spirit - He spends all his time outside combat sitting on another party member's shoulder pretending to be a familiar or pet, and not only has the personality traits of a crow (curious, sarcastic, greedy) but also has a nasty habit of feeding on the corpses of his enemies (crows are carrion birds afterall, lol). He worships the Raven Queen because he saw her flying through the Feywild in the shape of a raven, developed a huge crush on her and chased her for miles hitting on her while she led him on a merry chase, laughing at him the whole time.

He's completely built as a charging striker since he spends the entire combat wildshaped into a crow. Not only can pixies fly in wildshaped form and move through opponents' spaces (including charging right into an opponent's space), but they can also do a completely vertical charge, meaning they can basically avoid about 60% of the OAs they'd normally face for moving all together, nevermind my Badge of the Berzerker -  at paragon tier, between cunning stalker, world serpent's grasp + grasping claws and opportunistic withdrawal I'm basically not taking OAs for moving at all.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Much fun was had by all when my wife played a pixie berserker at Encounters earlier. She was even voted MVP for terrifying the surviving enemies after laying waste to two of them.

But I'll let her have the pleasure of providing the details. Of course, since she's been at work for the past hour and has to work Thanksgiving night and the night after, it'll probably be Saturday at the earliest before she gets around to it.

About.me

Drive like you love your children

Through faith you have been saved by grace and not by works. -Ep 2:8-9

Grammar Made Easy – now there's no excuse for sounding like an idiot online.
Games From the Mind of fewilcox – my blog about writing; games, including, character sheets and other roleplaying accessories; and game design.

Also thinking about  a pixie witch... this one would be a horrible, nasty creature who was not actually originally a pixie at all. Probably Eladrin. After destroying an entire town for kicks, her mother punished her by putting her into the form of a pixie and rather than face execution, she submitted to a geas that essentially makes her work with some good people (the party). Her familiar will be a sprite that she continually argues with and asks it "tell mummy that ~."

Though many people are obviously playing the Pixie for laughs, I think it could be fun to treat it more seriously as well. Not entirely along those lines, I kind of want to run a one-shot deal where everybody is a pixie and they have to do a pixie-ish plot, like get Spring ready in time. Mostly I'm thinking of this because my daughter is 5, and also plays with us. She'd love it, no doubt, and I think my adult players would also be up for it.

Resident jark. Resident Minister of Education and Misinformation.
I shall note that interestingly, the Pixie was a race option in the 'rebooted' Wizardry universe from 7/Gold at least, if not 6, to 8. 
I had some hilarious times playing my Metroid tonight!

Metroid
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Metroid, level 10
Pixie, Fighter (Weaponmaster)
Build: Brawling Fighter
Fighter Option: Combat Superiority
Fighter Talents Option: Brawler Style
Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)
Theme: Guardian

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 20, CON 10, DEX 13, INT 8, WIS 10, CHA 18

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 18, CON 10, DEX 11, INT 8, WIS 10, CHA 14

AC: 28 Fort: 26 Ref: 18 Will: 21
HP: 89 Surges: 2 Surge Value: 22

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +15, Intimidate +14, Streetwise +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +6, Arcana +4, Bluff +9, Diplomacy +9, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +5, Heal +5, History +4, Insight +7, Nature +7, Perception +7, Religion +4, Stealth +8, Thievery +6

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Guardian Attack: Guardian's Counter
Pixie Utility: Pixie Dust
Pixie Utility: Shrink
Fighter Attack: Combat Challenge
Fighter Attack 1: Grappling Strike
Fighter Attack 1: Knockdown Assault
Fighter Attack 1: Bash and Pinion
Fighter Attack 1: Seize and Stab
Fighter Utility 2: Forceful Drag
Fighter Utility 2: Glowering Threat
Fighter Attack 3: Slamming Rush
Fighter Attack 5: Crushing Foot
Fighter Attack 7: Come and Get It
Fighter Attack 9: Fighter's Recovery
Fighter Utility 10: Body Shield (Fighter)

FEATS
Level 1: Vampirism
Level 2: Martial Vampire
Level 4: Inescapable Hold
Level 6: Pin Down
Level 8: Improved Grab
Level 10: Master at Arms

ITEMS
Magic Wyvernscale Armor +3 x1
Adventurer's Kit
Goliath's Belt x1
Abduction Ki Focus +2 x1
Periapt of Cascading Health +2 x1
Spiked gauntlet x2
====== End ======

SKREEE!!!

oh god get it off get it off
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition

Also thinking about  a pixie witch... this one would be a horrible, nasty creature who was not actually originally a pixie at all. Probably Eladrin. After destroying an entire town for kicks, her mother punished her by putting her into the form of a pixie and rather than face execution, she submitted to a geas that essentially makes her work with some good people (the party). Her familiar will be a sprite that she continually argues with and asks it "tell mummy that ~."

Cool. That's sort of the reverse of Fae-born from HackMaster 4e. In HM4e Pixie-fairies reincarnate with most or all of their memories but only a limited number of times. Some pre-arrange to be born from an elf for the last time and thus significantly increase their life-spans. PFs have yet to be released for 5e but we're really looking forward to them.

On a semi-related note, one of my Encounters players/GMs (he runs the second table when needed) calls D&D pixies "pixie-fairies" purely out of habit. Which also reminds me that he'll be running a sequal to his last HM4e game as soon as the 5e Player's Handbook releases. It reminds me because I'll be playing a grunge elf and the favorite food of grel everywhere is freshly-killed pixie-fairie. Yummy.

About.me

Drive like you love your children

Through faith you have been saved by grace and not by works. -Ep 2:8-9

Grammar Made Easy – now there's no excuse for sounding like an idiot online.
Games From the Mind of fewilcox – my blog about writing; games, including, character sheets and other roleplaying accessories; and game design.

So, I decided to go for teh lulz, and I ran a Pixie paladin.

Just this last Friday, I had a chance to debut my level 8 Pixie cavalier. I had a lot of fun with the personality, the flying and other pixie tricks. One of the first things she did in game was throw her pixie dust on another player character she had just that moment met, vanish and fly away as he started to float off the ground. As an added bonus, I found her to be very effective, riding into battle seated atop her trusty cougar-sized celestial battle tiger, Kitty.
I had some hilarious times playing my Metroid tonight!

Metroid
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Metroid, level 10
Pixie, Fighter (Weaponmaster)
Build: Brawling Fighter
Fighter Option: Combat Superiority
Fighter Talents Option: Brawler Style
Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)
Theme: Guardian

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 20, CON 10, DEX 13, INT 8, WIS 10, CHA 18

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 18, CON 10, DEX 11, INT 8, WIS 10, CHA 14

AC: 28 Fort: 26 Ref: 18 Will: 21
HP: 89 Surges: 2 Surge Value: 22

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +15, Intimidate +14, Streetwise +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +6, Arcana +4, Bluff +9, Diplomacy +9, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +5, Heal +5, History +4, Insight +7, Nature +7, Perception +7, Religion +4, Stealth +8, Thievery +6

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Guardian Attack: Guardian's Counter
Pixie Utility: Pixie Dust
Pixie Utility: Shrink
Fighter Attack: Combat Challenge
Fighter Attack 1: Grappling Strike
Fighter Attack 1: Knockdown Assault
Fighter Attack 1: Bash and Pinion
Fighter Attack 1: Seize and Stab
Fighter Utility 2: Forceful Drag
Fighter Utility 2: Glowering Threat
Fighter Attack 3: Slamming Rush
Fighter Attack 5: Crushing Foot
Fighter Attack 7: Come and Get It
Fighter Attack 9: Fighter's Recovery
Fighter Utility 10: Body Shield (Fighter)

FEATS
Level 1: Vampirism
Level 2: Martial Vampire
Level 4: Inescapable Hold
Level 6: Pin Down
Level 8: Improved Grab
Level 10: Master at Arms

ITEMS
Magic Wyvernscale Armor +3 x1
Adventurer's Kit
Goliath's Belt x1
Abduction Ki Focus +2 x1
Periapt of Cascading Health +2 x1
Spiked gauntlet x2
====== End ======

SKREEE!!!

oh god get it off get it off

Metroid was a great concept, and well pulled off.  It was interesting to watch him work.
I've made a pixie monk who enjoys drinking tankards of mead larger than she is and proving that she can throw big people around.
I've made a pixie monk who enjoys drinking tankards of mead larger than she is and proving that she can throw big people around.

"Say I don't believe in fairies again, I dare you, I double dare you say it one more damn time!"
-Juniper Winterberry, Pixie Rogue.

Vampire Class/Feat in 2013!

I prefer Next because 4E players and CharOpers can't find their ass without a grid and a power called "Find Ass."

Sign In to post comments